• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Davidion

Brera said:
There's no need to be so aggressive.

I asked a fair question, I've played enough games to know when one is hard and when one is hard because it's badly designed. Some of the deaths and bits shown are just criminal and look as though you rely on pot luck to get past!

In fact I'll download it now on VC and come back in a bit!

It's absolutely not luck. Ninja Gaiden one (and three, imo) requires just that much precision and is completely unforgiving. The controls are actually very accurate and there's only a minimal amount of sliding and/or floatiness, though this is polished even further in two and three.

Ninja Turtle is the easier game out of the two in my opinion, but NG is absolutely a more tightly designed and executed action gaming experience.

NG two is the easiest and is pretty simple to mow through. Three ranks somewhere between the two, closer to one. I'd try those if you're having too much trouble with one.

Struct09

The video reminded me how much the cut-scenes blew my mind when I was younger. I'm pretty sure Ninja Gaiden was the first game I played with cut-scenes, and my first reaction was "Do I need to press a button here?"

suikodan

Lost Fragment said:
Every opportunity I get, I like to mention that I can beat Ninja Gaiden without dying.

Yeah, I beat the game once without dying. It was a long time but it's still quite a success for me.

Don't know if I could beat it in one life these days but I know I can beat it anytime.

I finished the 2nd one the night I rented it...

Brera

Banned
Had a quick blast and can see where you guys are coming from. I'm impressed with the precision! That's some Nintendo quality shit there! The instant respawns really make the game a lot harder! Especially those Green American Footballers in level 2-2 as they run pretty fast!

Cyan said:
I don't know, I hate the insta-respawns--those I'd call poor design. Or are they a bug?

But I agree on the precision of the rest of the game. If you die, it's because you screwed up. Which will happen a lot.

Fool, when you pick a fight with a ninja, what you expect?
I like the insta-respawns. It's the game telling you "find another way, chum". They are, like a lot of Ninja Gaiden's idiosyncrasies, a bug that the developers liked and kept in. Going back to 6-1 if you Game Over on the last boss also falls into that category.

That said, I enjoy that you can't just cut up all the enemies and safely traverse the level. Sometimes you have to depend on timing, careful jumping, and knowing when to run and when to stop, and your sword won't do a damn bit of good to you if you don't nail that stuff down. It gives it a very different tempo from something like Castlevania, and I think that differentiation is what gives NG its identity.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The windmill slash also insta-kills all the bosses in the game. Except the 4-2 boss since there isn't a windmill slash in that stage. IIRC, you lose it after you use it on Jaquio's first form though.

Lost Fragment said:
The windmill slash also insta-kills all the bosses in the game. Except the 4-2 boss since there isn't a windmill slash in that stage. IIRC, you lose it after you use it on Jaquio's first form though.
Yup, and even if you didn't, it drains all your ninpo points after each round.

Kimosabae said:
Only AVGN I ever liked. Probably cause' he wasn't screaming enjambed strings of profanity like a thirteen-year-old middle school comedian hopeful.

Yeah, because I'm sure sure the comedy you like is very high-brow, abstract concept stuff.

Get over yourself, fuckfarts.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Holy shit I laughed so hard at this! :lol :lol

Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 were some of my favorite games growing up. Beat both of them :D. I tried 1 again not to long ago and was able to get to stage 6 fairly easy.

dave_d

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yup, and even if you didn't, it drains all your ninpo points after each round.

Right but if you lose on his second form and play all the way through level 6 you start on his second form. (Which makes beating him not particularly difficult. Admitteldy that rising fire weapon works better but that's how I ended up beating the game, playing level 6 twice.)

awesome episode! laughed hard

THE KEY to defeat Ninja Gaiden 1 is to memorize the power-ups drops from the candles (especially in the last stages)

you need the Jump Spinning Power-Up to beat the game fast

memroize the powerups drops!

avoid all 2ndary weapons that are not Jump Spinning

when you reach a boss; jump and SPIN!!!! watch the bosse's life bar go flat!

THAT! is how you defeat Ninja Gaiden 1

-power-up drop off memorization
-jump spinning 2ndary weapony
-be a good platformer

dave_d said:
Right but if you lose on his second form and play all the way through level 6 you start on his second form. (Which makes beating him not particularly difficult. Admitteldy that rising fire weapon works better but that's how I ended up beating the game, playing level 6 twice.)
Yep, and if you lose on the third form, same deal. If you're persistent, it's doable. Like the ninja said, there is no game over unless you over the game. or whatever.

I found this animated GIF of him:

etdzf6.gif

Which episode is that from?

Kimosabae

Banned
Mayor Haggar said:
Yeah, because I'm sure sure the comedy you like is very high-brow, abstract concept stuff.

Get over yourself, fuckfarts.

Hello.

How about you take your own advice, junior? Maybe you'll last longer on this website than the time it took to make you look like a hawkish inbred with stockholm syndrome.

dave_d

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yep, and if you lose on the third form, same deal. If you're persistent, it's doable. Like the ninja said, there is no game over unless you over the game. or whatever.

True but I only had problems with his second form. (I could do forms 1 and 3 fairly easily. It was 2 that I couldn't do if I didn't have weapons.)

Kimosabae said:
Hello.

How about you take your own advice, junior? Maybe you'll last longer on this website than the time it took to make you look like a hawkish inbred with stockholm syndrome.

Yeah, high-brow indeed.

Gandara

I never thought of the Ninja Gaiden games as being hard because the controls weren't bad. Most games I find hard/frustration are from bad controls. Basically if you kept getting killed the same way .. then it made you rethink your strategy. One thing I did learn from that TAS video.. I never knew you could destroy the tail thing on the 3rd form. I kept wailing away at the center and getting hit until it died. Maybe it's time to wipe out the XBox and play the games again that came with the new ninja gaiden game.

Skilletor

Brera said:
Had a quick blast and can see where you guys are coming from. I'm impressed with the precision! That's some Nintendo quality shit there! The instant respawns really make the game a lot harder! Especially those Green American Footballers in level 2-2 as they run pretty fast!

You're awfully excited!

Jazzem

Does anyone else suspect that the ninja was originally supposed to beat the game, but due to James not being able to behind the scenes, it was rewritten so he couldn't? :lol Not that you can fault them for that, screw that final boss :(

Great episode for a great game. I'm really liking his episodes of good games that nonetheless can cause a fair bit of frustration.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Segata Sanshiro said:
If you haven't played NG, you really shouldn't be talking. The controls are extremely precise and the collision detection is as good as anything you could find. It's one of the best action games on the NES, which makes it one of the best 2D action games of all time. The last level is indeed disgustingly hard, but there's nothing "bad" about the design. It's meant to be extremely challenging.

That's not you being a killjoy or controversial, it's you looking like an ignorant fool.

Yeah, the only thing that really stands out at being flawed in NG is the rapid respawning of enemies if you backtrack even a bit. It's like the prototype for a COD game :p

Still, I think NG2 is one of the best 8-bit games of all time. <3

Good episode. :) I'm ashamed to admit that I have never played the original Ninja Gaidens - a mistake I will correct someday. Ninja Gaiden: Sigma is probably my favourite action-game of all time, though, and the only contender is either NG:S 2 or Bayonetta ( which I have so utterly fallen in love with ).

Davey Cakes

That was actually a fantastic review. One of the best I've seen by the AVGN.

I love Ninja Gaiden. It's hard, but it's really fun, and even after dying I still feel like playing it until I succeed. To me, in terms of "hard" games, Ninja Gaiden > Contra, no question.

But, of course, he's right about the whole "returning to 6-1" thing. That really is complete and utter bullshit. It's pretty much a design flaw. It's not a matter of difficulty. The game is hard enough as it is, it doesn't need to send you way back just because you mess up on a tough part.

That said, the final boss isn't so bad in terms of pattern. Once you know how the fireballs work, you're pretty much all set. The first form of the final boss in NGII is harder, IMO. I still agree, though, that regardless of difficulty the game should give you enough flexibility in terms of checkpoints in order to allow for you to "practice" on the boss.

Brera said:

Glad you're on the right team now.

Davey Cakes

For me, it's NGII > NG > NGIII. They're all pretty good, but the story in III is atrocious and it bothers me that you have limited continues.

It really is true that NGII is easiest (again, except for the final boss), but it's also a matter of NGII just balancing the difficulty better.

Oh, and for the record, 1-hit kills = win. I love it when difficulty comes from the actions of enemies instead of the amount of hits that they take.

hipgnosis

"Were talking some real intense shit right here"

Awesome episode! I usually don't like those fantasy guests, but the ninja was pretty damn good :lol I like that even he couldn't beat the game.

xzoowy

Ninja : "... Before you leap you must look ..."
Nerd dies
Nerd : "Ive looked !! ive looked !!"

Ninja : "... Before you look you must think ..."
Nerd dies again

Ninja : "... Before you think you must feel ..."
Another failed attempt

Ninja : "... Before you feel you must ...."
Nerd : "Ive had enough !!" and he leaves disgusted

:lol:lol:lol

I google searched this thread earlier and was disappointed that there was no new vid........but now I see it is bumped and all is good

But I did go to his site and he is only going to do one AVGN per month now :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, very nice episode! Kind of epic.

Great episode and a pretty cool bit of gaming history I didn't know about. Not much AVGN ranting, but you can tell he just wanted to tell this story. Those prizes looked pretty damn awesome too.

Top Bottom