• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

I really liked the episode.

I laugh at his hissy fit episodes but I like this style more. The history was very interesting!

Assemble internet!! Find the remaining treasures!!

Struct09

Not really what I want in an AVGN video, but a great video nonetheless. I never knew about those games and the contest, and found it all very interesting.

AniHawk

If Jack Tramiel does own the last remaining relics, he's probably going to give them to his stupid son Sam. You know, the dumbass in charge of the Jaguar.

He beat Ninja Gaiden 2.

NGjames.jpg

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=4659#comments

Sapiens

Aaron Strife said:
I actually remember reading about these once in some game informer mag

Such a cool concept. Apparently the guy who won the Earthworld contest melted down the prize and sold it to pay for school :lol

Very smart.

LevityNYC

Banned
maniac-kun said:
i wish they would make events like these today :D

With the massive amount of cheating plus the internet, it would never work sadly.

A great AVGN episode.

I inherited the 1st 2 games from my brother and I never had any clue how to play them. I also had no idea of the crazy challenge and insane real life prizes the game was involved with.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo could take a lesson and use this to promote the new Zelda, the TRUE successor to Ocarina of Time in terms of epicness and hype.

Wouldn't a revival of this contest be a great way to promote Game Room? :D "Nearly 30 years after it began, the epic quest finally comes to a close."

There's enough amateur Atari devs out there who'd probably make a killer final game.

AniHawk

Talamius said:
There is no telling what that sword would be worth today, between the value in gold/gems AND the nostalgia factor.

We should set some fictional Sony character designed by Dreamworks out to get it.

Gravijah

Grimm Fandango said:
Eh it was alright. It wasn't really an AVGN episode.

It was most definitely an AVGN episode. I love these episodes, and I really hope fans of the "angry" part of him don't hold him back from doing more like it.

Sapiens

I just wanted to say that I really liked this episode and he should do more like it.

He wasn't exactly angry, but I also enjoy the antics of the 'fascinated but slightly annoyed' nerd as well.

Crisis

Banned
Majine said:
Apparently, he has a PS3 (we've seen it in one of his intros) but he has never ever played a PS3 game :lol

You know I really like the Nerd's videos about games but that particular video reeks of "how do i blu ray". He's blaming the PS3 because he didn't set the audio output properly. I suspect he's buying the PS3s used too because I don't think the PS3 sets itself to linear PCM by default. That fan he put on the second PS3 is probably going to do more harm than good.

Majine

Banned
Crisis said:
You know I really like the Nerd's videos about games but that particular video reeks of "how do i blu ray". He's blaming the PS3 because he didn't set the audio output properly. I suspect he's buying the PS3s used too because I don't think the PS3 sets itself to linear PCM by default. That fan he put on the second PS3 is probably going to do more harm than good.
I also reacted to the fact that he keeps his controller on (and without the power save function) through entire movies, and then blame its battery. Just shut the controller off when your movie starts, and turn it on when you want to do something. Geez.

vid

Waikis said:

Christ, YES. I STILL get chills when I think about that game. To this day, I have an incredibly clear memory of receiving an IM from a character in the game who told me to lock the doors, close the blinds, and get down on the floor, because a malicious package was en route to me. I complied with this, being fully into the mood of the game, and imagine my shock when a few moments later I see the UPS truck trundling down the road in front of my house...

I would pay large sums of money to see Majestic relaunched and continued.

Crisis

Banned
Zombie James said:
Wait, he watches entire movies with the controller on? He doesn't know about the auto-off feature?

Either he watches entire movies with the controller on (my guess, since he mentioned throwing the controller and accidentally stopping the DVD) or he has a used PS3 and somehow the battery life on the controller is atrocious. I can't think of a way that an otherwise functioning PS3 controller could only last for a few movies unless he constantly uses the controller or leaves it on while the movies run.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That PS3 review just shows how he is "Home Theater Illiterate".

No shit, going from composite to HDMI is miles better?

He's a film maker but doesn't know the difference between Anamorphic and Letterbox?

He's wondering why his TV is not decoding DTS and/or Dolby Digital?

He's noticing that blurays don't make a difference on his, what, 32 inch television? Is the set even 1080p? Is it even 720?

I mean, cmon...

drizzle said:
That PS3 review just shows how he is "Home Theater Illiterate".

No shit, going from composite to HDMI is miles better?

He's a film maker but doesn't know the difference between Anamorphic and Letterbox?

He's wondering why his TV is not decoding DTS and/or Dolby Digital?

He's noticing that blurays don't make a difference on his, what, 32 inch television? Is the set even 1080p? Is it even 720?

I mean, cmon...

The weirdest thing is the "I don't play games on it" part. It's one thing if you can't afford or don't want an extra system and can't play it's games, but he has one and simply chooses not to play any games on it and his tone makes it sound like he recorded this video in early 2007. Him being a huge cinema fan, I was actually hoping on hearing his thoughts on Heavy Rain... might still happen.

Jay Sosa

Omg that Ninja episode is epic..

"A Ninja must look beyond the borders of the screen!" :lol

I f'n love this guy.

EDIT: When the Ninja rolls into a fetal position at the end :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Minus reputation with the nerd after his latest PS3 video.

wrowa

Zombie James said:
The weirdest thing is the "I don't play games on it" part. It's one thing if you can't afford or don't want an extra system and can't play it's games, but he has one and simply chooses not to play any games on it and his tone makes it sound like he recorded this video in early 2007. Him being a huge cinema fan, I was actually hoping on hearing his thoughts on Heavy Rain... might still happen.
You know, I have the feeling that he isn't playing that many games to begin with and simply bought the PS3 primary because of its DVD and Blu-Ray functions :p

wrowa said:
You know, I have the feeling that he isn't playing that many games to begin with and simply bought the PS3 primary because of its DVD and Blu-Ray functions :p

Hey, i'm just surprised an admittedly huge Indiana Jones fan hasn't at least tried Uncharted 2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wow, he sounds like an idiot in this ps3 "review." He's like an old man whining about technology.

I love this comment.
# XtortNihil February 21, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

Thank you for putting Blu-ray in it’s place, James.

It’s a crock of shit. The day that they take EVERY single title that has ever been released on DVD, including season box sets, release them on Blu-Ray and then lower the cost to EXACTLY the price of DVD’s themselves, is the day that Blu-Ray deserves any of it’s fucking bullshit hype.

Other than that, it does not make NEARLY enough of a difference to even bother with Blu-Ray for one half of a second.

Blu-Ray is nothing but an overhyped, overrated, bullshit, hype-for-suckers, flash in the pan that will never, NEVER, NEVER outdo DVD.

It’s only a matter of a few more years of it’s lame performance, over-expensive, unnessessary shit that more of the majority won’t bother to buy or put up with, until it finally dies and we can pretend Blu-Ray never happened either, just like that HD-DVD crap.

Seriously. The only way anyone would ever try any Blu-Ray movie out of curiosity is because they bought one of those ridiculous PS3 things, and decided to see it.

Then they pretty much find it isn’t worth it and stick the better format that’s already out there.

I mean seriously. Once things went from analog tape to digital, the innovation stopped cold. Digital compact discs was the last stop. Beyond that, Blu-Ray has no place in today’s world. None at all.

Do I give a shit about a bigger screen resolution? Pfft. No. It’s just a few meaningless numbers. That’s all it is. It’s not the next leap in technology. It ain’t shit. And it’s certainly not worth paying another dime more for, either.

I just got done watching all three Lord OF The Rings films on an Plasma screen TV with an upscaled DVD player. I am absoluely, positively, NOT missing out on a damn thing. Blu-Ray can suck my nuts, and go die somewhere.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Johann

James watches movies more than he plays modern games. A lot of his gaming purchases are licence/move related, such as the recent Ghostbusters game.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Crisis said:
I'm a big fan of AVGN but I have to agree here. Using these "intercoolers" are a bad idea and will actually cause more harm than good. They will also void the warranty for the system.

Carnby

drizzle said:

I mean, cmon...

i thought the same thing... "i have to sit close to notice a difference." and then he shows a shot of this tiny tv ten feet away... what his next video going to be called? "What are HDTV?"

Just saw the Swordquest one, missed it before somehow.

I usually don't give a shit about Atari stuff but that one was really good! Such an intriguing idea and awesomely presented kept my interest the whole vid despite it all being about stuff before my time (Nintendo kid here).

Wish they would finish the quest like he said! :lol The music was inspiring me for adventure!

I can understand AVGN's comments about never playing a PS3 game. I own a 360, and haven't played a 360 game in over a year and a half. All I use it for is to watch DVD's (my regular DVD player broke).

Carnby

Linkzg said:
ah, I remember screwing that flimsy metal claw thing to the back of my old TV. hated that.

those flimsy metal claw things are the reason i had a funeral for my Atari 7800. it got a permanent short in the wire. and sadly it was only days after i got a copy of One on One Basketball: featuring Larry Bird and Dr. J. :(

Top Bottom