• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

jaekwon15 said:
those flimsy metal claw things are the reason i had a funeral for my Atari 7800. it got a permanent short in the wire. and sadly it was only days after i got a copy of One on One Basketball: featuring Larry Bird and Dr. J. :(

yeah, those things broke all the time. I don't think I have a working one for my 2600 anymore.

I was hoping he would bring up the Telstar Alpha since that is the only pong sysem I have. It still works perfectly.

Linkzg said:
yeah, those things broke all the time. I don't think I have a working one for my 2600 anymore.

I was hoping he would bring up the Telstar Alpha since that is the only pong sysem I have. It still works perfectly.

I remember my grandfather getting an old Atari for me at the Auction. It didn't have that box. Just the cable. I had had absolutely no idea there was a box I needed until I watched this video. 100% Truth. I clamped the plug in between the screws (where you would normally place those Hooks) of my old TV and while it was a bit Fuzzy, was still very playable.

Frawdder

Great episode. Never knew that these even existed, having said that, if I owned that triangle console I would've felt like the most badass kid around. That thing looks so cool.

kamspy

Dreamwriter said:
Let's hear it for the Coleco Telstar Arcade! That was my first game system, my dad got it when it was *3*!
coleco-telstar-arcade-console.jpg

Looks like something Homer Simpson would design.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm so glad I started with the NES. :lol

I mean it's nothing I didn't know already but seeing them all back to back like that really drives home how ridiculous the 'console' market was back then (2600 notwithstanding).

AcridMeat

Banned
That was a great episode, entertaining and educational. Some of those consoles looked ridiculous, wish we could have seen the Nintendo one.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
"Pull this thing, give it to your friend and say 'Fuck you. Look at me, I got all this shit. I'm in control, mother fucker!'"

That literally had me laughing for the entire rest of the video. Bravo, good nerd. Bravo.

eXistor

I haven't seen the episode yet, but his decision to take his time with the Nerd videos is the best thing he could have done, I thought the last year was his weakest yet.

SlickVic

Asshole pong :lol

Loved the little bit with GTA4 at the end. Sometimes easy to forget just how far technologies gone in a relatively short amount of time.

Spwn

Am I the only one thinking that Telstar Arcade is kickass? Great episode, btw. It's actually fun to watch this kind of videogame history.

I just watched his PS3 video and all I can say is wow.

Listening to him talk in that video is like listening to my mother talk about Blu-ray. For shame.

EDIT: That dude on the left in the CED player video has the worst haircut ever. :lol

Alex

Huh. I've never once heard of a CED Player before.

I've only minimal experience with Laser Disc too though, as in they showed us a movie on one in grade school once. :lol

Three discs with six sides... I think I'd rather just not watch the movie.

KevinCow

Banned
I wish Laserdisc had caught on. I mean I've never used it, and from his video it looked like its capacity, or lack thereof, would make watching movies a pain in the ass to watch.

But it just has such an awesome name! It sounds like a kickass sci-fi weapon. Maybe a frisbee that shoots lasers, or those things in Tron.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Swittcher said:
I know for a fact, that the reason GTAIV was used in this video, is that it's the newest 360 game James has.
Can't be. He did a review of the new Ghostbusters game. That game was released after GTAIV. It was also the 360 version because he admits to never playing a game on the PS3.

Alex said:
Huh. I've never once heard of a CED Player before.

I've only minimal experience with Laser Disc too though, as in they showed us a movie on one in grade school once. :lol

Three discs with six sides... I think I'd rather just not watch the movie.
Ever play Dragon's Lair or Space Ace in the arcade? If so, those games were using the Laserdisc format. I remember those games always breaking down. :(

I wonder if James is going to get the new Transformers game when it comes out?

Yoshichan said:
Minus reputation with the nerd after his latest PS3 video.

Nah come on guys. All his gripes were valid. He had a real problem with the sound, and you have to admit they could really streamline some of the features.

So he's never played a PS3 game yet. So what? He'll probably play Uncharted, gush over it, and all the PS3 fanboys will be happy.

Majine

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
So he's never played a PS3 game yet. So what? He'll probably play Uncharted, gush over it, and all the PS3 fanboys will be happy.
I hope he gives it a shot. I imagine the Uncharted series would be his kinda game, with the cinematic style and Indiana Jones resemblence.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
jaekwon15 said:
i thought the same thing... "i have to sit close to notice a difference." and then he shows a shot of this tiny tv ten feet away... what his next video going to be called? "What are HDTV?"
Eh. All he really said was that it didn't seem to make a huge difference. That's an easy impression to get. I felt about the same way when they were showing split screen demos at Best buy etc.

I said something like, "So... Blu Ray makes everything grainier?"

The difference took a while to creep up on me. Even then, I don't feel compelled to replace my DVD's with BR's just because you get a better picture etc.

ntropy

on @7:41: i think you can burn off the rubber on the rf unit to expose the wire and wrap it around the screw in the back really old tvs.

malsumis

Arpharmd B said:
Nah come on guys. All his gripes were valid. He had a real problem with the sound, and you have to admit they could really streamline some of the features.

I had a laugh when he said that the PS3 has bad design when it overheated for him in 5 minutes once. Seeing as he has most of the vents completely blocked, no wonder...

Otherwise, a the ps3 video was a pretty good one.

Swittcher

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
Can't be. He did a review of the new Ghostbusters game. That game was released after GTAIV. It was also the 360 version because he admits to never playing a game on the PS3.

Ever play Dragon's Lair or Space Ace in the arcade? If so, those games were using the Laserdisc format. I remember those games always breaking down. :(

I wonder if James is going to get the new Transformers game when it comes out?

Ah, you have corrected me with that ghost busters fact. On the comments on cinemasscre, he addressed someone who asked what games he had, and he named like, 4 for the 360, and GTAIV struck out as me as the newest one, but GB might have been on there too.

Gestahl

The informative episodes are the best. He stops hamming up on the made up swear words and goes indepth into stuff that's actually interesting. It's why I enjoyed his bite sized Godzilla videos as well, since he gets so immersed in the content that you really feel like he knows what he's talking about, even in situations when he clearly doesn't know.

turk128

These informative yet entertaining episodes is what distances AVGN from others of his peers. These and the awesome month long Halloween specials.

Carnby

Freshmaker said:
Eh. All he really said was that it didn't seem to make a huge difference. That's an easy impression to get. I felt about the same way when they were showing split screen demos at Best buy etc.

I said something like, "So... Blu Ray makes everything grainier?"

The difference took a while to creep up on me. Even then, I don't feel compelled to replace my DVD's with BR's just because you get a better picture etc.

i agree with you partially. i would tell anyone not to buy a blu ray disc made before 2008. (and dont bother buying blu ray versions of movies that were made before 2008 too.) like the early dvds, the early blu rays look pretty bad. i.e. 300. but the newer blu rays look fantastic i.e. Sin City, Watchmen.

Pretty good episode... getting a Pong console sometimes would be cool. Not one of the ones that's the two-wire-screw type connector only, though, I don't exactly have a TV that can deal with the screw things... we never did actually, even our first TV, which was a 1985 model I believe, was standard cable wire input only.

There actually was an Odyssey 200 in a place around here last year, but I didn't really consider getting it. I'd only get something like that if I had money to burn on that stuff, I doubt I'd be playing it that much... particularly considering that a lot of them were 2 player only...

I've never actually played a Pong console myself, but I'd love to sometime.

Anyway, he had a lot of interesting stuff in that episode, and a lot of information. As usual he asks questions which a simple internet search would solve, like the "I can't replace the forks" thing, and doesn't always mention everything, but still, really good stuff.

Dreamwriter said:
Let's hear it for the Coleco Telstar Arcade! That was my first game system, my dad got it when it was *3*!
coleco-telstar-arcade-console.jpg

Yeah, it's so interesting looking that it's kind of too bad that it didn't catch on at all and there are only four cartridges for the thing...

Oh, the Pong part was actually 4 player -- there are two more paddle controllers that can plug in to the thing.

Top Bottom