• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing 3DS (Sept. Conf. Updates!)

BooJoh

The roundtable video has been translated, and you can watch it here.

Some of the more interesting tidbits mentioned:

• As one of the new features for the Nintendo 3DS version, you become the village mayor. As mayor, you can develop your village. Well, you also don't have to.

You can work really hard or do nothing. That doesn't change even when you're the mayor.

• The big thing is that now there are separate tops and bottoms. So girls can wear pants, and boys...well... Dress-up with more options. They can [wear a skirt] if they want to.

Characters were much shorter in previous games, but now their bodies are longer so they can better show off their style.

• Since you're going to be mayor, you can add things like benches and street lamps to make your village look pretty and add character.

• The beach is bigger. And there's a shopping mall across the railroad track.

• Since the player is the mayor, you get a secretary to support your duties.

• You can take your furniture to the shop to have your own furniture made. Like you can change the cushion patterns for your sofa to a heart shape.

• You were able to change the roof color before, but now you can change the outer walls, the fence, and even mail posts. As a new feature, you can use the StreetPass feature to exchange house designs with other players. At the end of the village there are a lot of model homes. The houses that you recieved via StreetPass will be displayed there as model homes.

A real estate agent is managing the model homes. And the agent, actually, is Tom Nook.

• The entire village is also bigger than before.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Lol, from that video.
"I also like how the life in the village felt realistic." - 39 year old male. I feel like there is meme potential there.

Tiktaalik

I hope there are NIMBY neighbours that try to block every initiative you propose as mayor. If not this won't be a very accurate municipal sim!

Ezduo

Banned
But can I draw penises on the outside of my house and then walk by elementary schools with streepass enabled?

Tiktaalik

They'll probably say he's just retiring or something. Or he gets murdered. Part of your job as mayor is to figure out who killed him.

Fantasizing about clever gameplay ideas that Nintendo will never put into Animal Crossing is the best part about being a fan of the franchise.

:(

oatmeal

Banned

• As one of the new features for the Nintendo 3DS version, you become the village mayor. As mayor, you can develop your village. Well, you also don't have to.

You can work really hard or do nothing. That doesn't change even when you're the mayor.

Cool, I guess...
  • The big thing is that now there are separate tops and bottoms. So girls can wear pants, and boys...well... Dress-up with more options. They can [wear a skirt] if they want to.

Characters were much shorter in previous games, but now their bodies are longer so they can better show off their style.
    Lame...

• Since you're going to be mayor, you can add things like benches and street lamps to make your village look pretty and add character.
    Just what I was hoping for.../sarcasm

Lame...
    Oh God...
  • You can take your furniture to the shop to have your own furniture made. Like you can change the cushion patterns for your sofa to a heart shape.
    Yup...
  • You were able to change the roof color before, but now you can change the outer walls, the fence, and even mail posts. As a new feature, you can use the StreetPass feature to exchange house designs with other players. At the end of the village there are a lot of model homes. The houses that you recieved via StreetPass will be displayed there as model homes.
    Jesus...

A real estate agent is managing the model homes. And the agent, actually, is Tom Nook.

Will skip this one, too.

BooJoh

I'm hoping Tortimer will still show up around holidays to give out gifts and stuff, maybe as a village elder or something.

Or maybe around election time he'll campaign against you in a futile attempt to take back his old position.

The Lamp

I like where they're going but I hope they expand upon it more. There's a lot more things they could do with designing your own city, Sims-style and designing your own furniture/decor with the touchscreen and camera. Also needs more activities. Bug/fish/fossil collecting was a nice start, but I wouldn't mind something like pets or bird watching (which you could use the gyroscope like a camera like Zelda OoT's first-person view to snap pictures of birds in the wild or something).

Kapp'n better be in there singing my cucumber song! As mayor, I demand it!

I like where they're going but I hope they expand upon it more. There's a lot more things they could do with designing your own city, Sims-style and designing your own furniture/decor with the touchscreen and camera. Also needs more activities. Bug/fish/fossil collecting was a nice start, but I wouldn't mind something like pets or bird watching (which you could use the gyroscope like a camera like Zelda OoT's first-person view to snap pictures of birds in the wild or something).

Considering there is still some time before it is released, I'd imagine we might see a couple more of these round tables talking about new features. It's not like they blew their load all at once - at least I hope not.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Fantasizing about clever gameplay ideas that Nintendo will never put into Animal Crossing is the best part about being a fan of the franchise.

:(

Well, that wasn't particularly serious, but yes even reading this list of "new" features is pretty disappointing. They don't go into what activities you do as a mayor. I wonder what "develop your village" really means.

what exactly were you looking for in a new animal crossing game
I don't know, he probably expects the fourth (fifth if you count the N64 one right?) game in a series to add major features...

BooJoh

I had a nightmare about who it'll be. That nightmare was Gracie.
It shows the secretary in the video. She's a dog (a Shih Tzu I suppose) named "Shizu"

I wouldn't mind something like pets or bird watching (which you could use the gyroscope like a camera like Zelda OoT's first-person view to snap pictures of birds in the wild or something).

Pokémon Snap in my Animal Crossing? Yes please :(

Chorazin

I am really, really hoping for the return of the real holiday analogs that were in the GC game, I missed them so much in the DS version. Ghosts on Halloween, saving Tom Turkey from being Thanksgiving dinner, and Xmas was awesome.

Tiktaalik

Considering that the game is supposed to be about communication with your neighbours I'm hoping that every once and a while there's a robust mayoral campaign where you have to chat with people in the town, write letters, send them gifts and win them over to your side.

Chances are though that Nintendo will pride themselves on simply adding additional rocks to collect.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I had a nightmare about who it'll be. That nightmare was Gracie.
il7wMB9fhEzoh.gif

I hope it's Kapp'n

It shows the secretary in the video. She's a dog (a Shih Tzu I suppose) named "Shizu"
Wow Nintendo.

This is some BS

mollipen

like what though?

Living in a city together with other actual human beings, versus just visiting their cities. Planting/raising crops. In-game objects that actually do stuff - like, a ping pong table where I can actually play ping pong against a friend, versus it just being a prop.

Those were three of my major complaints about the game the last time I played it (which was the DS version). Animal Crossing reminds me a lot of PlayStation Home - a lot of show, and little actual inter-activity or things to do.

I am really, really hoping for the return of the real holiday analogs that were in the GC game, I missed them so much in the DS version. Ghosts on Halloween, saving Tom Turkey from being Thanksgiving dinner, and Xmas was awesome.

weren't they removed because they were "disrespectful to other religions" or something like that?

BooJoh

They were back in City Folk, so I see no reason why they'd remove them again now.

Living in a city together with other actual human beings, versus just visiting their cities. Planting/raising crops. In-game objects that actually do stuff - like, a ping pong table where I can actually play ping pong against a friend, versus it just being a prop.
Living in a city with other players kind of goes against the point of the game, since the entire basis of the game is the player moving into a quaint animal village.

I wouldn't complain about crops, but I haven't had the desire to do that since getting burnt out on the second Harvest Moon game I played.

Minigames are definitely something I'd love to see added to AC in droves though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
yea, people seem to forget that this is actualy an Animal Crossing game and not Sims Part 36253

What does that even mean? It is only like that because Nintendo has decided not to add anything. They are fine with complacency and simply moving stuff around instead of adding actual new features. You can make Animal Crossing still feel like Animal Crossing an add new features. That's usually what a sequel is, and it's kind of offensive that Nintendo hasn't even tried to add anything major (that I can think of, correct me if I'm wrong).

mollipen

Living in a city with other players kind of goes against the point of the game, since the entire basis of the game is the player moving into a quaint animal village.

So you make it like Minecraft, where you play it how you want to play it. You want that "quaint animal village" part, then fine. You want to play it together with friends, then that's cool too.

Thoraxes

Animal Crossing is a lot like Mario Kart as far as featuresets go.

The formula is established and safe, and you make incremental progress with each release, release one game per console in it's lifecycle, and release only one game per 3-5 years.

BooJoh

So you make it like Minecraft, where you play it how you want to play it. You want that "quaint animal village" part, then fine. You want to play it together with friends, then that's cool too.

I can agree to that. I was hoping for City Folk that they'd give the player an apartment in the city much like the island house in the GCN game. If you could have a secondary home in the city on a permanent shared server with other things to do there then it would be pretty cool and give players somewhere to hang out together without dealing with the whole "open your gates" thing.

Gravijah

I can agree to that. I was hoping for City Folk that they'd give the player an apartment in the city much like the island house in the GCN game. If you could have a secondary home in the city on a permanent shared server with other things to do there then it would be pretty cool and give players somewhere to hang out together without dealing with the whole "open your gates" thing.

hah, i was just typing up a post with a similar idea!

watershed

Banned
So the area just north of the train tracks is a mall which pretty much sounds like the city. That should be more convenient. Also the bigger beach and bigger village in general should be awesome. But activities Nintendo! and Deeper interaction with the npcs, that's what's gonna keep me coming back to the game, if its included.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any word on how that mayor stuff works if 2 people are playing the same city? Or different cities for each save slot?

Seems like it is going to be quite different from past games, if not quite the jump I was hoping for.

More like the jump from AC GCN to Wild World than a full blown revolution.

It's a damn sight better than what we got with City Folk though! (which was a glorified WW port)

watershed

Banned
Do you all think there's gonna be all new music in this game? I find the music to be a huge part of the experience so I hope its all new and higher quality. I also want more than one visiting musician. K.K. Slider is great but imagine if there was some jazz band on different days as well.

BooJoh

Do you all think there's gonna be all new music in this game? I find the music to be a huge part of the experience so I hope its all new and higher quality. I also want more than one visiting musician. K.K. Slider is great but imagine if there was some jazz band on different days as well.

So far the music in the previews has been new, so I'm guessing they're doing an all-new soundtrack this time. I'll assume the K.K. songs will probably be the same with a few new ones added though.

watershed

Banned
So far the music in the previews has been new, so I'm guessing they're doing an all-new soundtrack this time. I'll assume the K.K. songs will probably be the same with a few new ones added though.

Yeah you're probably right. I hope we see lots of new stuff and not just a few tweaks, not just for music but everything. City Folk was too similar to WW and felt like Nintendo trying to capitalize on the huge wii install base and the popularity of WW. I hope with this game Nintendo is going to try to revitalize the popularity of AC by adding new elements and changing things up. AC needs a shot in the arm.

The M.O.B

Meh, im a sucker for AC, probably put over 300 hours into AC, AC:DS, and City Folk.

One thing that would increase longevity of the game(many people seem to stop playing after 3-4 months) would be to include RPG elements.

An example would be if you run a certain amount perhaps in real life or in game, your character will gradually become faster, something like that would get people to open up their 3ds and play each day.

watershed

Banned
Meh, im a sucker for AC, probably put over 300 hours into AC, AC:DS, and City Folk.

One thing that would increase longevity of the game(many people seem to stop playing after 3-4 months) would be to include RPG elements.

An example would be if you run a certain amount perhaps in real life or in game, your character will gradually become faster, something like that would get people to open up their 3ds and play each day.

I think I'm a sucker for AC in theory but after playing lots of WW I'm feel like experienced most of what AC has to offer.

As a template AC seems like it can support many types of gameplay including rpg elements like you mention or deeper sim gameplay like harvest moon or other such games. But Nintendo seems intent on keeping things very light and on the surface. I think they feel that's a part of the series' success. But I think the cute presentation can support much more involved gameplay especially since so many people have already poured hundreds of hours into the series.

I'm hoping that's not all the new features - in the same way other recent releases from Nintendo only have a trickle of info before a pre-release blowout.

Still, those are pretty cool additions but I'll be getting this regardless. Because I am a sucker.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haven't played AC since the GCN one in 2002. Hope this is a huge leap for the series from that.

It'll probably be great for you then. Release to release, the changes are pretty incremental, but since you've skipped the last two, it'll probably be great for you. Playing with people you know helps.

Emitan

It'll probably be great for you then. Release to release, the changes are pretty incremental, but since you've skipped the last two, it'll probably be great for you. Playing with people you know helps.

PokeGAF will become AnimalCrossingGAF

Top Bottom