• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer |OT| Furry Real Estate Simulator

tiijj

NA amiibo cards seems to be a lot harder to complete, an entire box doesn't seem to complete the entire series compared to the JP box.

GAMERG0D

Opened 3 packs, only two duplicates, Cherry and Luna.

I got Bob though, the only card I wanted. Joan came with my game.

I'm worried about a lack of longevity with this one, and also turned off by the fact you can't 100% it without buying cards (which I won't buy as we only get 3 in a pack here.)

I'll see how you guys are getting on in a few months time...

tiijj

I'm worried about a lack of longevity with this one, and also turned off by the fact you can't 100% it without buying cards (which I won't buy as we only get 3 in a pack here.)

I'll see how you guys are getting on in a few months time...

Isn't that better than 6 in a pack (if the price is the same per card). With 3 in a pack, you should be guaranteed a SP card which are the only ones (other than promo if they will have one) that are locked. You don't get the convenience of selecting the villagers that you want but at least they will appear randomly. In theory (if all else are equal) you should be able to get the entire 17 SP (for series 1) cards for less.

Isn't that better than 6 in a pack (if the price is the same per card). With 3 in a pack, you should be guaranteed a SP card which are the only ones (other than promo if they will have one) that are locked. You don't get the convenience of selecting the villagers that you want but at least they will appear randomly. In theory (if all else are equal) you should be able to get the entire 17 SP (for series 1) cards for less.

Yeah but.......... shit.
That's a very good point, which I had completely missed.

Don't do this to me!

ngower

I imagine the aftermarket for these cards will mitigate some of the cost of buying all these packs. Much like other collectible cards, I think you'll be able to get these for fairly cheap. Specials will be harder to come by, but for the common stuff I can't imagine people charging more than $1 a card as the market oversaturates.

Crap, what have I done...

5Hz0Ffo.png

Zero_IYAD

Kinda excited for the game here!
Waiting for a fellow GAFer to get his bundle so I can grab the game's code.
Do we get a free theme with the code included in the bundle?

Chinbo37

Just to confirm you dont need a N3DS to play this right? (I did read the OP)

Regular 3DS+card reader works right?

My wife loved the last game I think she would like this too but I dont think she would care about using the cards. Is there enough to interest her without them?

Robin64

It's "better" if one only want SP cards, but if you want the collection you are going to have a loooot of SP dupes based on the 1SP 2Normal per pack ratio.

As for price, based on RRP, cards are very nearly double price over here in Europe. It's quite silly.

jluedtke

I just got six packs of cards at Best Buy. Worth noting: with my GCU, they were only $4.79 each, rather than $6. I didn't preorder them or anything. It just came off my total.

tiijj

It's "better" if one only want SP cards, but if you want the collection you are going to have a loooot of SP dupes based on the 1SP 2Normal per pack ratio.

It's "better" for Jo Shishido's Cheeks since he/she wants to 100% the game, since the normal villagers can appear randomly. Promo aside (if they will do one) the SP are the only ones locked (that we know of). I don't think that Jo Shishido's Cheeks is interested in completing the entire series assuming from her/his post.

JP one seems to be the cheapest and easiest, if you can get one. It's around 100 yen per card so around $1, you can complete the entire series 1 in 1 box.

I guess the cheapest way to complete a set for people who wants to complete a set is through trading.

starmud

I'm at least happy the cards are easy to get, I'm a bit worried about the lomgestivity of the game but it seems like the type you can pick up and play in short intervals

Just a friendly reminder to people who are looking to purchase this game that a number of Gaffers bought the HHD New 3DS Bundle as a means of obtaining a non-XL New 3DS, and a lot of us (me included!) are now looking to sell the included eShop code.

There's a number of posts in B/S/T, and the going price atm seems to be around $30, so you should definitely PM one of us instead of paying full price.

DarkKyo

I have a question. I have a 3DS XL, not a new 3DS, so I can't scan the card amiibos in.. However my brother does have a new one. Does that mean I can make my AC save on my 3DS, move the cart to my brother's and scan my cards in, and then move back to my 3DS and have the characters in my game?

Meier

Nice job with the OP -- didn't really understand how this game worked but my wife has got it pre-ordered as she is an AC fanatic. Sounds like it's more in-depth than I realized. We have been playing individual copies of the mainline games for our entire relationship (10+ years) but I think 1 copy will suffice for this.

My Best Buy didn't even realize it came out today and still had everything in the back.

This is why I can never understand when Nintendo does certain promotions or deals with Best Buy.... Best Buy is one store I go to where they seem to not give a shit at all about Nintendo products. Yes yes, it's business, but why deal with one that shits on you every other step of the way? All Nintendo products are not even in the centered part of the video game section, but rather kept in the far back and scattered like crap in all the Best Buys near me.

Karkador

Banned
This is why I can never understand when Nintendo does certain promotions or deals with Best Buy.... Best Buy is one store I go to where they seem to not give a shit at all about Nintendo products. Yes yes, it's business, but why deal with one that shits on you every other step of the way? All Nintendo products are not even in the centered part of the video game section, but rather kept in the far back and scattered like crap in all the Best Buys near me.

Maybe they have to cut deals with BB to get store space there?

Not gonna get this sadly. Looks fun, but $40 is a bit too much for a game like this in my opinion. Also the lack of any online features (like visiting other people's stuff) and the fact that building houses for all the well known characters you'd actually want to build a house for seems to be locked behind those amiibo cards are a big turn off.

Not gonna get this sadly. Looks fun, but $40 is a bit too much for a game like this in my opinion. Also the lack of any online features (like visiting other people's stuff) and the fact that building houses for villagers seems to be locked behind those amiibo cards are a big turn off.
There are online features and amiibo cards hold back none of the regular villagers. They just let you get them faster and allow you to build for the special characters like Isabelle or Tom Nook.

SeZMehK

My copy of the game just came and it came with a Pascal card! Eh, its no Isabelle or KK but I'll take it. :/ I hope when my 3 packs come in on Monday, Isabelle and Diana are in it. I WANT THEM! Then I am done with the cards. Lol.

There are online features and amiibo cards hold back none of the regular villagers. They just let you get them faster and allow you to build for the special characters like Isabelle or Tom Nook.

I meant multiplayer, like visiting peoples towns and stuff like playing minigames with random people online. I worded that wrong and edited my post, I meant special characters. Not a fan of them locking all the characters most people would actually want to build houses for behind randomized grab bag cards. Also, I hate the entire concept of randomized card packs with a passion. I know its been around forever but its just so scummy making people constantly buy card packs in hope of getting the one they want.

Any chance we'll have a trading thread?

I can make one, but I think we need some trading rules established like:

1 special card for 1 special card (Isabelle for Resetti, Pascal for Digby, etc.)

2 regular cards for 1 special card (Cherry and Stinky for Kapp'n, etc.

And it would be set up like the B/S/T thread.

Blues1990

I just picked up the game, and to my surprise, I got DJ K.K. & Sable with my copy of the game. I'm just downloading the update (Does anybody know what's it for?), but it seems to be taking a while for it to process.

I can make one, but I think we need some trading rules established like:

1 special card for 1 special card (Isabelle for Resetti, Pascal for Digby, etc.)

2 regular cards for 1 special card (Cherry and Stinky for Kapp'n, etc.

And it would be set up like the B/S/T thread.

I don't think you can just make up and enforce card values when nobody knows what is and isn't going to be in demand or oversupplied yet.

I don't think you can just make up and enforce card values when nobody knows what is and isn't going to be in demand or oversupplied yet.

I just figured since the special sparkly cards are tougher to come by, it would make more sense to trade 2 regular cards for a sparkly one, and a sparkly for a sparkly. Seems fair.

I just figured since the special sparkly cards are tougher to come by, it would make more sense to trade 2 regular cards for a sparkly one, and a sparkly for a sparkly. Seems fair.

There are far fewer NPC cards and you get 1 guaranteed per pack. In the US there's 6 cards per pack but in JP/EU there's only 3, so the NPCs are by and large going to be much easier to find due to their more reliable distribution.

There's only like 10 NPCs and like 90 Villagers

Plus you have to factor in what people actually will end up wanting. Even if every single card had the same availability and distribution some are going to be worth more than others because some characters are more popular than other characters.

Let people set their own have/want lists and sort it out themselves, enforcing some sort of weird value system when nobody knows what's worth anything yet is just going to result in people abusing it or getting scammed out of valuable cards.

There are far fewer NPC cards and you get 1 guaranteed per pack. In the US there's 6 cards per pack but in JP/EU there's only 3, so the NPCs are by and large going to be much easier to find due to their more reliable distribution.

Plus you have to factor in what people actually will end up wanting. Even if every single card had the same availability and distribution some are going to be worth more than others because some characters are more popular than other characters.

Let people set their own have/want lists and sort it out themselves, enforcing some sort of weird value system when nobody knows what's worth anything yet is just going to result in people abusing it or getting scammed out of valuable cards.

Fair enough, I'll figure out some sort of basic trading OT.

Ventara

Great OP! Just got my copy in the mail today and looking forward to playing it. I didn't do a lot of home designing in New Leaf (spent most of my time with the Stalk market), but it was an aspect of the game I enjoyed regardless.

Only thing I'm concerned about is that I might lose my sanity and start buying more of these Amiibo cards. I just need to stay strong.

Fair enough, I'll figure out some sort of basic trading OT.
People should decide for themselves what to trade. True value is relative, plus people will adapt to supply/demand trends on their own. I just think we could use a central discussion for it.

Portman

I just got six packs of cards at Best Buy. Worth noting: with my GCU, they were only $4.79 each, rather than $6. I didn't preorder them or anything. It just came off my total.

I had asked on the Best Buy forums about the GCU limit and they said that it and the discount would apply. I'm scared to buy more than 3 packs because of that so I'll be curious to hear if you have any trouble from them in regards to going over the GCU discount limit.

I'm going to stop by the Wal-Mart beside the Gamestop that my bundle is at and pickup a binder and/or card sleeves shortly. Guess I should see if I can get the cards first though.

Now I just need to figure out if it will be worth trying to collect the cards like I had planned or to just stop with series 1 stuff and get my favorite villagers.

Top Bottom