• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime from the 80's and 90's were the best. Look here for some recommendations.

petran79

Banned
Genma Taisen (Harmageddon),a movie from 1983, is criminally underrated because it had the misfortune of being released early 2000. Most Japanimation fans had already seen Akira and post-Akira sci-fi anime with Espers. Movie was labelled as trash and this out of context opinion was parroted even till today. Not the only exception unfortunately. This movie is as influential as Akira with some amazing animation sequences.

Genma Taisen (Harmageddon),a movie from 1983, is criminally underrated because it had the misfortune of being released early 2000. Most Japanimation fans had already seen Akira and post-Akira sci-fi anime with Espers. Movie was labelled as trash and this out of context opinion was parroted even till today. Not the only exception unfortunately. This movie is as influential as Akira with some amazing animation sequences.

It's a Rintaro thing I feel, dude just doesn't get the respect he deserves.

My favorite film of his is Metropolis, which was one of the first things that really got me into anime in the first place.

I always loved it, but then I heard Justin Sevakis, who also trashed Harmageddon, refer to Metropolis as if it was bad, which just confused the hell out of me, though people have somewhat come around to it recently.

But that's Sevakis for you of course, who cares about any of the ANN people anymore anyway?

petran79

Banned
It's a Rintaro thing I feel, dude just doesn't get the respect he deserves.

My favorite film of his is Metropolis, which was one of the first things that really got me into anime in the first place.

I always loved it, but then I heard Justin Sevakis, who also trashed Harmageddon, refer to Metropolis as if it was bad, which just confused the hell out of me, though people have somewhat come around to it recently.

But that's Sevakis for you of course, who cares about any of the ANN people anymore anyway?

That was the era before streaming and fast internet became popular and anime forums and sites were still relevant.
Now discussions moved to social media, you have official access to all new series and sites like ann and their opinions and reviews are not as impactful.

Probably Justin watched low quality vhs rips.
BD of Genma Taisen is a whole different experience.

I remember I had some issues with Metropolis but I have to rewatch it. It is almost 15 years. Were I to write a professional presentation with access to millions of readers though, I'd be more careful with my opinions

I've been re-discovering some of the anime I used to watch as a kid, and nothing really matches up to them from today. Definitely the golden era of anime. Not to mention, the action and animation destroyed most of what we get today. It's weird, but the animation has gradually gotten more cartoony as time has passed.

Manga Video, and later, ADV Films to a lesser extent, were responsible for some excellent anime. You just can't do over-the-top without Manga Video in the title.

Some of my favourites here. Newcomers, or those wanting to re-discover old anime should definitely look up these.

Cyber City Oedo 808: A brilliant cyberpunk anime, with an over-the-top soundtrack and dubbing. Hilarious insults throughout, with an excellent plot as well.

Guyver: Bio-Boosted Armour is the first anime I saw, and I love it to this day. Kickass action/sci-fi.

Wicked City is for those who love horror anime and can't quite get them the way they're meant to be these days. NSFW at all costs.

Fist of the North Star is another highlight of the 80's. Brutal combat, sick one-liners and one of the best final fights ever.

Akira. Possibly the most famous anime here. Still excellent all these years.

Doomed Megalopolis. Look here for more brutal, shocking occult horror. Keep the kids away.

Devil Man is another horror escapade, with some gnarly as hell sequences, and a badass vibe throughout.

---

Feel free to add your favourite anime from that era. This will be fun.
i stopped watching it after the cartoon xmen. everything after that were cheap and lazy

Top Bottom