• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.0%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.6%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 39 19.0%

• Total voters

NanaMiku

Ah, that one might not be for me, unless it‘s different from what I remember hearing, it sounded TOO wish fulfillment-y for me. Like, he does one basic thing for her, and suddenly she is practically his housewife in behavior.

I don’t mind vanilla characters and potential romance with them, I love certain vanilla characters like Rem from Re:Zero or Komi from Komi Can’t Communicate. But I don’t like it when it feels like they catch feelings for the MC for basically existing (which wasn’t a problem with those two, Subaru went up and beyond to help Rem, and Tadano constantly supported Komi in her goals). Unless it’s tongue-in-cheek about it or something since then it isn’t meant to be taken seriously (which is why I am interested in 100 Girlfriends, I highly doubt the series can adequately justify most of the girls being really into him, but it seems pretty clear you’re not reading/watching this for a legit romance story).

And the thing is, I can excuse MCs for not picking up flirtatious hints and/or being insecure. I get it, not everyone can read the room well and/or they have self-confidence issues especially at that age. But by god, with this half-Russian girl, if she is clearly trying to hide the flirting without realizing he can understand it, well even an infant could put 2 and 2 together and figure out the answer.

I will say I am concerned about reading more of My Dress Up Darling (IIRC I read up to Vol. 3, still need to watch the anime) as I’ve heard it gets pretty ridiculous after a while that the MC can’t figure out she’s into him. I know I defended Komi as they sorta have that problem in the manga (at least up to where I’ve read, I think Vol. 15 or 16?), but since Komi is more shy about her feelings (plus those who have read the manga past the anime‘s point know things get a bit complicated soon after where the anime ended for now) it feels more believable that Tadano is unsure.

But again, it’s all about tone. My favorite comedy anime of all time, School Rumble, is about taking romantic misunderstandings and missed signals and making it absolutely hilarious:

HV1GCp7.gif
9lndKmI.gif
mqpgamB.gif
7HS2pxV.jpg
MyqfsbR.gif
gFcyY3R.jpg
My gripe with most Japanese romance/love comedy story is not communicating enough. The progress in Angel Spoils Me is pretty good. They take time to show the communication and not suddenly fall in love. For the Alya anime, the setting is pretty similar, but I hate the MC is because he is so passive.

100 Girlfriends is comedy anime with love setting lol. My Dress-Up Darling is kinda pushing the romance to the back. it's more focused on the cosplay, but in the recent chapters, the story is back on the romance again.

Delphisage

I've been reading and watching a bunch of KnY/Demon Slayer to catch up for Toonami. Nothing about it has been really appealing to me, and there's a bunch of points where it feels like they're deliberately making their characters less interesting for no reason.

-Zelda-

Banned
What older manga would you love to see get a rerelease as a box set or omnibus type release?
I would LOVE to see Vampire Princess Miyu get released again. Both the Manga and Anime (also the OVA)
I can only shop at amazon, which is severly limiting when it comes to collecting.

Doom85

What older manga would you love to see get a rerelease as a box set or omnibus type release?
I would LOVE to see Vampire Princess Miyu get released again. Both the Manga and Anime (also the OVA)
I can only shop at amazon, which is severly limiting when it comes to collecting.

Haven‘t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto. I bought the anime Blu-Ray after hearing the mangaka passed this year (in her 30’s, damn. Fuck cancer) but the manga volumes are OOP.

Gantz. I know it has omnibuses, but I have the singles up to Vol. 20 and I’d hate the inconsistency when displayed on a shelf. It’s long been rumored it might get hardcover releases from Dark Horse. DH just started releasing Trigun hardcovers so maybe Gantz will be next.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Loved Spirit Circle by the same author which I thankfully got before they went OOP soon after. I need to finish Planet With, an anime original series he wrote, I got halfway through back when it aired but fell off for some reason, I heard the final few episodes go hard.

There were actually a few OOP series that got reprints at the start of this year. Viz reprinted all the NANA volumes so I got all of those (just stated Vol. 12, so good but damn is it depressing at times). Got all the Monster omnibuses, and all 8 volumes of Bloom into You. Love to see reprints like this.

Also started getting manga box sets this year. Got both the Dragonball and DBZ sets and the Ouran High School Host Club sets at the start of the year, the Claymore set in the summer, and the Netflix One Piece kicked my motivation to start getting those manga sets and I’ve got the first three, need to get the fourth and I want the Naruto ones too.

Kicking myself for getting the Promised Neverland single volumes when they were releasing as OH MY GOD the image on the box set that just came out is so good with Emma, Norman, and Ray playing chess, each chess piece is very detailed, it looks so good!

mmrkWW8.jpg

The Chainsaw Man Part 1 box set also just came out, but I’m not beating myself up on that one, as no way would I have the patience to wait for boxset releases, got to get the single volumes as each comes out Day One.

Haven‘t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto. I bought the anime Blu-Ray after hearing the mangaka passed this year (in her 30’s, damn. Fuck cancer) but the manga volumes are OOP.

Gantz. I know it has omnibuses, but I have the singles up to Vol. 20 and I’d hate the inconsistency when displayed on a shelf. It’s long been rumored it might get hardcover releases from Dark Horse. DH just started releasing Trigun hardcovers so maybe Gantz will be next.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Loved Spirit Circle by the same author which I thankfully got before they went OOP soon after. I need to finish Planet With, an anime original series he wrote, I got halfway through back when it aired but fell off for some reason, I heard the final few episodes go hard.

There were actually a few OOP series that got reprints at the start of this year. Viz reprinted all the NANA volumes so I got all of those (just stated Vol. 12, so good but damn is it depressing at times). Got all the Monster omnibuses, and all 8 volumes of Bloom into You. Love to see reprints like this.

Also started getting manga box sets this year. Got both the Dragonball and DBZ sets and the Ouran High School Host Club sets at the start of the year, the Claymore set in the summer, and the Netflix One Piece kicked my motivation to start getting those manga sets and I’ve got the first three, need to get the fourth and I want the Naruto ones too.

Kicking myself for getting the Promised Neverland single volumes when they were releasing as OH MY GOD the image on the box set that just came out is so good with Emma, Norman, and Ray playing chess, each chess piece is very detailed, it looks so good!

mmrkWW8.jpg

The Chainsaw Man Part 1 box set also just came out, but I’m not beating myself up on that one, as no way would I have the patience to wait for boxset releases, got to get the single volumes as each comes out Day One.

Love Claymore and Gantz manga

As for The Promised Neverland, the more I read of it the more disappointed I became

Latest JJK was absolutely in-fucking-credible, by far the current benchmark for Shounen episodes, off model high quality animation all episode. Was INSANE. MAPPA are finally worth their praise.

Little Mac

I’m probably going to be laughed out of this topic thread, but I’m 4 episodes into a Netflix show called Blue Eye Samurai and I’m digging it.

Chastten

Banned
Oh man, it's been over 15 years since I watched Read or Die: The TV. Loved that show and the DVD boxset is still one of my favorites ever. It's shaped like an actual book with each disc on a seperate page. Good stuff. I miss the days when collector's editions did neat stuff like that.

PlFLI8s.jpg

Anyways, just watched the latest episodes of Frieren: Beyond Journey's End and this show is getting better and better. I started watching is because it seemed like a chill and casual show but I'm quite liking the latest action-packed episodes as well. No idea how the show continues as there isn't really a destination but looking forward to seeing the rest!

-Zelda-

Banned
I really wish they would rerelease ROD the OVA and ROD the TV.
Been out of it for a decade, and now that I am back in it, I don't know where to start. My preference are shows that have a full-on ending, not some vague open ended "we don't know how to end it so just read the manga instead" type non ending. Like, years ago I was really into Kaze no stigma, but the ending of the anime was borked, and I never read the manga. I can make a slight exception for that though, on account of the series creator dying.

Chastten

Banned
I really wish they would rerelease ROD the OVA and ROD the TV.

Honestly, this is one of my main issues with anime and manga. As populair as they can get, they're also quickly forgotten 99% of the time. While there is an active community for old games, movies, or books, not many people care about old anime. There's so much old stuff I would like to get a nice HD re-release but there's simply no market for it, other than the occasional super populair one.
Been out of it for a decade, and now that I am back in it, I don't know where to start. My preference are shows that have a full-on ending, not some vague open ended "we don't know how to end it so just read the manga instead" type non ending. Like, years ago I was really into Kaze no stigma, but the ending of the anime was borked, and I never read the manga. I can make a slight exception for that though, on account of the series creator dying.

And this was me last year. I kinda just stopped watching anime around 2007 or 2008 or so, only watching the occasional show on netflix once or twice a year. Due to Covid and me getting bored with gaming I just started watching a bunch of highly-rated shows and movies to just see what clicked and what didn't and went from there. My tastes have definitely changed since 20 years ago but there's lot of good stuff around.

Not sure what genres you like but I'd start with some highly rated ones like Violet Evergarden, Attack on Titan (just finished the final season), Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid as they seem to be mostly universally loved even if you're not a huge fan of the genre.

Labolas

Ngl, I liked the R.O.D. tv series more than the OVA. The OVA has better animation and action, but the tv series has a better story and characters. I have the limited collector edition of the series as well. It sucks that the blu ray for the ROD OVA and tv series is crazy expensive, has been since its release.

Doom85

Honestly, this is one of my main issues with anime and manga. As populair as they can get, they're also quickly forgotten 99% of the time. While there is an active community for old games, movies, or books, not many people care about old anime. There's so much old stuff I would like to get a nice HD re-release but there's simply no market for it, other than the occasional super populair one.

We’re talking about a medium that has several thousand of series/movies to choose from, and nowadays roughly 200 new series/seasons are made. It’s inevitable that some series don’t get brought up much.

Also, it’s weird this is stemming from Read or Die as that did get a Blu-Ray release. And you have companies like Discotek constantly doing BR releases for older titles, and FUNimation would occasionally do ones for series like Paranoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain.

Chastten

Banned
We’re talking about a medium that has several thousand of series/movies to choose from, and nowadays roughly 200 new series/seasons are made. It’s inevitable that some series don’t get brought up much.

Also, it’s weird this is stemming from Read or Die as that did get a Blu-Ray release. And you have companies like Discotek constantly doing BR releases for older titles, and FUNimation would occasionally do ones for series like Paranoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain.

Oh, I understand the reasons why, I just think it's a shame that a lot of shows I really loved 20 something years ago are almost completely forgotten now. Kinda makes me sad.

Anime in general has that kinda 'flavour of the month' thing going on where something can get really popular for a while but than completely falls of a cliff and a few years later barely anyone remembers it. That's just how I feel though, maybe I'm wrong. But videogames, movies and live action tv shows seem to stay in people's minds far longer than most anime, I feel.

You're absolutely right about those numbers though. And maybe that's part of the issue, with so much new stuff coming out, there's no way to keep up with everything.

Chastten

Banned
Don't actually have new pictures so have a few older ones

qHP9tPj.jpg

I started collecting again back in January and this is where I was at a few months ago. Only picking up region B Blu-rays so there's not really a lot of supply but each of these shows and movies are solid 8/10 or better titles imo. Currently awaiting the My Dress-Up Darling set and hoping for more new about A Place Further Than The Universe since that boxset got announced a year ago.

Y6O6R0X.jpg

And here some of my old DVD's from back in the day. Some of them haven't aged that well but I have fond memories of all of these.

j09mcMa.jpg

And finally the manga that started it all for me personally. I re-read it two years ago, and while it has definitely aged quite a bit, I think it was still quite enjoyable.

-Zelda-

Banned
This is a comedy channel, but I have never seen the anime he is mocking, so I do not know if this is just him exaggerating for comedic effect of it or if it really is as bad as he is making it sound. Can anyone fill me in? I'm pretty sure that is not the actual name, but a parody of some other actual show.

Last edited:

Generic

I remember when Kemono Friends used to be a huge thing in anime communities.

Delphisage

Read through six chapters of Undead Unluck. I keep getting flashbacks to Demolition D's criticisms of Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki - how it's impossible to really care about edgy cartoon archetypes as well as characters with real and relatable hangups and issues. Making me appreciate Chainsawman a lot more in retrospect.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
oBXRGxW.jpg

Just picked up the 4K collectors box set of Nadia. I was surprised when I opened the parcel only to find it came with a hardback artbook, I'm not going to complain.

Be interested to see how the 4K version holds up, but I couldn't exactly skip it.

Last edited:

Labolas

Catching up on JJK. Nanami is my favorite character in the series. I kinda wished he was the focused character instead of Yuji and Gojo. The Shinjuku arc is fine, but man, I can't feel like this would have been better if it was more focused on a smaller set of characters. It kinda hurts my enjoyment of the series because the animation direction and the setting are pretty damn good.
oBXRGxW.jpg

Just picked up the 4K collectors box set of Nadia. I was surprised when I opened the parcel only to find it came with a hardback artbook, I'm not going to complain.

Be interested to see how the 4K version holds up, but I couldn't exactly skip it.
Isn't that the UK release? Because I don't remember seeing this for NA.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Catching up on JJK. Nanami is my favorite character in the series. I kinda wished he was the focused character instead of Yuji and Gojo. The Shinjuku arc is fine, but man, I can't feel like this would have been better if it was more focused on a smaller set of characters. It kinda hurts my enjoyment of the series because the animation direction and the setting are pretty damn good.

Isn't that the UK release? Because I don't remember seeing this for NA.
It is indeed since I live in Old Blighty, seems the CE comes with a A4 Artbook, which is shame given they don't ship them together in their own container considering it's £200. I got the ultimate edition of Eureka 7 a few years back which came with a A4 magazine and they put it in its own box alongside the boxset and everything. Since they where not 4k ultra HD and just regular blu-ray it was substantially cheaper too.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
oBXRGxW.jpg

Beautiful release! Noticed this is getting a UK/Euro release as well this month and it's a show I've never actually watched but always have been intrigued by.

It was already old when I first started watching anime twenty something years ago and I just never got around to watching it. Might need to give it a try this time.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Beautiful release! Noticed this is getting a UK/Euro release as well this month and it's a show I've never actually watched but always have been intrigued by.

It was already old when I first started watching anime twenty something years ago and I just never got around to watching it. Might need to give it a try this time.

I find myself more and more going back these days, I think it's just how cheap anime is these days and also how bad the writing is because rather than new unique self contained series they are often based on long running manga or light novel series, which goal is to stretch out the story for as long as possible rather than telling a compelling story.

These older series tend to be unique in that their the original.

Last edited:
I find myself more and more going back these days, I think it's just how cheap anime is these days and also how bad the writing is because rather than new unique self contained series they are often based on long running manga or light novel series, which goal is to stretch out the story for as long as possible rather than telling a compelling story.

I tend to just read manga nowadays due to getting the complete story if it's not ongoing and where nothing is cut and most of the times it's Uncensored if I read it fan translated

Chastten

Banned

Haha, I've always managed to avoid shows like that, even way back in the early 00's. Never watched Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and all that stuff. Just don't have the time for that.

But besides all the trash that comes out each season, there's still lots of short shows that I think are very good. Lucikly I've had an almost 15 year hiatus between 2008 and last year so I've got lots of stuff to pick from in all possible genres.

All that being said, I do really wanna give some older shows a shot as well. I rewatched The Castle of Cagliostro a little while ago and that movie is still an absolute masterpiece. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff from that era until the 90's that I'd love.

NahaNago

This is a comedy channel, but I have never seen the anime he is mocking, so I do not know if this is just him exaggerating for comedic effect of it or if it really is as bad as he is making it sound. Can anyone fill me in? I'm pretty sure that is not the actual name, but a parody of some other actual show.

this could be any isekai where a grown man get put into the body of a baby or kid. Then again any story that has an adult character go back in time into their childhood body would be the same thing.

Delphisage

I've read up to Chapter 348 of Bleach.

At some point I just stopped caring about reading any of the characters or fights I don't care about and just started rushing through every single chapter. I can't understand how people managed to be invested in all this nonsense involving randies that never actually matter.

NanaMiku

I have to say that anime fans are getting spoiled with how much good stuff comes out nowadays.
But right now the number of titles is increasing each season. This makes the quality worsen.

But we also have simulcast for almost all titles right now.

Doom85

But right now the number of titles is increasing each season. This makes the quality worsen.

Not necessarily, especially since the number of anime studios is greatly increasing, checking each season’s release list, I frequently see studio names that I’m pretty sure only popped up within the last few years.

Honestly, from 2018 to today (minus 2020 for obvious reasons, but even then there was some standout shows), every year has had a bunch of fire shows.

I think anime Youtuber Gigguk nailed it when he said (to the best of my recollection), “in the last few years, every year we’re getting about the same number or maybe slightly less S-rank shows as we did in a year beforehand, BUT the number of A-rank and B-rank shows per year have greatly increased.“

This is a generalization, especially since there’s plenty of long runner manga that have good quality. It’s also a weird time to be making such a claim since Shonen Jump in particular had been noted that their biggest series of the last decade or so are ending on shorter runs compared to the biggest titles of their 2000’s decade.

Demon Slayer broke their sales records to the point of beating the prior undefeated SJ sales king, One Piece, 4 to 1 in sales in 2020. And Demon Slayer ended on Volume 23 in spite of that. Promised Neverland was also quite the seller for them, and ended on Vol. 20. While we don’t know 100% when these will end, the mangaka of Jujutsu Kaisen, My Hero Academia, and Black Clover have all stated they’re nearing the final arc and it’s very unlikely their number of volumes will reach the number Naruto or Bleach had, definitely not One Piece.

Hell, in terms of Jump+, their manga that are digital (and get printed volumes later), Takopi’s Original Sin, a manga focused on an alien helping a child dealing with abuse, bullying, and suicidal depression, broke the records and outdid massive SJ+ hits like Spy x Family and Dandadan. And it ended on TWO VOLUMES. The story clearly would not work stretched out and would feel inappropriate to do so given the serious subject matter, and Shonen Jump respected that.

And tons of anime of any decade are based on manga (light novel adaptations existed, but only really took off in the 2000’s decade due to the massive success of the Haruhi Suzumiya anime). And things were worse back then, because you were lucky to get a full adaptation then, but more often you’d get one season and that’t it and often that season would have a filler ending that would make continuing from that point impossible. The system we have know, that always breaks series into cours/seasons, is far better especially as it allows for better animation as opposed to the long runners of the past that never took a break which resulted some good-looking episodes but a good deal of rough ones as well, and also that’s the era pacing was drawn out and/or filler thrown in. That’s no longer an issue with everything having seasons, so pacing has gotten far better.

Shouta

Read up to Chapter 22 of Undead Unluck now. It's rebounded, but I have no idea for how long.

I read all of the available chapters of Undead Unluck recently and it only gets better. It does some pretty interesting things later on that's pretty uncommon in manga and the author just does a fantastic job overall with it on all fronts. It's easily the best Shueisha/Jump series that doesn't get talked about as much.

Labolas

I would disagree with the quality notion. I definitely prefer this over the late 2000s to 2010s where we got nothing but slice of life shows.

Last edited:
I've read up to Chapter 348 of Bleach.

At some point I just stopped caring about reading any of the characters or fights I don't care about and just started rushing through every single chapter. I can't understand how people managed to be invested in all this nonsense involving randies that never actually matter.
Bleach after Soul Society is garbage until Thousand Year Blood War.

21 episodes into Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and it's fantastic

I watched the OG anime when it first came out and loved it

I than read the manga and loved the story especially the ending

I never watched Brotherhood before

I just wish they kept the OG OST from the first anime

Doom85

21 episodes into Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and it's fantastic

I watched the OG anime when it first came out and loved it

I than read the manga and loved the story especially the ending

I never watched Brotherhood before

I just wish they kept the OG OST from the first anime

I love both 2003 anime and Brotherhood equally (and the manga). One pro of 2003 is definitely the OST. Brotherhood’s OST is fine, but it doesn’t stand out. 2003 wouldn’t rank among my all time favorite anime OSTs but it is still great and definitely more memorable in the music department.

I love both 2003 anime and Brotherhood equally (and the manga). One pro of 2003 is definitely the OST. Brotherhood’s OST is fine, but it doesn’t stand out. 2003 wouldn’t rank among my all time favorite anime OSTs but it is still great and definitely more memorable in the music department.

Yeah I'm like 28 episodes in now and it's fantastic

I give both anime and the manga an A+

The manga is in my Top 10 Manga of All Time

Top Bottom