• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.0%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.6%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 39 19.0%

• Total voters

Delphisage

I have finally reached Chapter 354 of Bleach. The legendary meme chapter that gave us THE HEART and "Whoever told you etc".
Not much longer before I get to "When were you under the assumption", hopefully. Though I have gained a perfect understanding of why people hate Orihime so much and wanted her to lose the ship war.

I have finally reached Chapter 354 of Bleach. The legendary meme chapter that gave us THE HEART and "Whoever told you etc".
Not much longer before I get to "When were you under the assumption", hopefully. Though I have gained a perfect understanding of why people hate Orihime so much and wanted her to lose the ship war.

I prefer Rukia/Ichigo as a ship but wasn't salty when that didn't happen. Don't get the hate for Orihime. I still like her

The_hunter

21 episodes into Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and it's fantastic

I watched the OG anime when it first came out and loved it

I than read the manga and loved the story especially the ending

I never watched Brotherhood before

I just wish they kept the OG OST from the first anime
I was thinking of watching this, if I like action/adventure without psychological, it's a good choice?

HX1b7Wy.jpg

Reading Mysterious Girlfriend X

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I finally decided to get started on my anime backlog again. However, did Crunchyroll go downhill while I was away?
First I tried to sub twice and it failed so I tried Paypal as a last ditch effort and it finally worked. I managed to finish Nier (great show, looking forward to the second season now) but then I start watching Fate Strange/Fake and it's constantly buffering and pausing.
What really sucks it that crunchyroll has gotten so big that now they're the only option for plenty of shows but it feels like the site is having more issues than it used to.
Is anyone else experiencing any of this?

Edit - it must have just been that one movie. I watched The Quintessential Quintuplets movie and it played flawlessly (great movie btw).

Last edited:
2Lyp1B0.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: A+

Being a huge fan of the OG Anime and a huge fan of the Manga. I loved this anime equally as much. As an adaptation, it follows the manga much more closely. The soundtrack isn't as good though. Also they condensed the beginning parts of the manga to get to the later parts much quicker. Animation is really good, visuals are great. I watched with the English Dub and all the voice actors did a great job. The plot is fantastic. Overall a fantastic experience

t0pKUBx.jpg

Mysterious Girlfriend X: A (Manga)

The manga was a bit spicy at time but it has some weird wholesomeness that drew me. The romance between the two mains was interesting to watch. The art is great especially the WAIFU characters 😏. The plot was fun and easy to get into. The manga doesn't overstay its welcome, it's only 92 Chapters long. Urabe is in Top 10 Waifus of All Time though for me 😏

Also yes I watched the anime a long time ago

8amLllO.jpg
uB6MBbQ.gif

Chastten

Banned
Felt like posting a few of my favorite anime I recently watched, so here goes

UBcrFl9.jpg

First up is Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day. This was recommended to me cause I liked Orange, and while I didn't think it was AS good, it's still a very emotional ride. After their friend dies, a childhood group of friends all deal with their loss in different ways and as result, they grow apart. Years later, they need to get back together to make sure their dead friend can actually move on. Not too fond of the character designs but otherwise a solid watch.

7cs4aL0.jpg

A Place Further Than The Universe was my surprise hit of the past few months. A girl, whose mother passed away during an expedition to Antarctica, tries desperately to get into an expedition herself. Most of the show is very comfy but there's also a few emotional moments and I love the scenery.

NnWWoZr.jpg

And the second surprise hit that really hit me in the feels is Made in Abyss. Despite the almost chibi-like artstyle this show is hardcore as fuck with blood, nudity and gore. The ending of S1 left me a mess :( Yet to watch Season 2 but I'm asumming it'll be good as well.

vicpSNs.jpg

Barakamon on the other hand is just a comfy and fun watch. The maincharacter is an arrogant artist who gets banished to a remote tropical island, where he has to learn to live without all the facilities of the big city.

sQXWU4B.jpg

And an early shout-out to one of this seasons shows. I started watching Frieren: Beyond Journey's End caused it seemed like a nice and comfy feelgood show, and while it certainly is, it also has some quite nice action and comedy.

Some other shows I thought were interesting include Mieruko-chan, Wonder Egg Priority and So I'm a Spider, So What?. Not sure I'd call them great or a must-watch but if you like their respective genres, I think they're worth a try.

Finished Kimetsu no Yaiba/Demon Slayer. I don't understand how this lasted 200 chapters when it so aggressively endeavored to be completely generic and underdeveloped. Does Shonen Jump actually encourage mangaka to make their stories complete folderol?

That's such a overrated anime/manga. I enjoy it but I consider it to be just good nothing special

NanaMiku

vicpSNs.jpg

Barakamon on the other hand is just a comfy and fun watch. The maincharacter is an arrogant artist who gets banished to a remote tropical island, where he has to learn to live without all the facilities of the big city.
If you like Barakamon, you should try Sweetness and Lightning

Doom85

Some other shows I thought were interesting include Mieruko-chan

I’ve not seen the anime, but what I’ve read of the manga of Mieruko-chan is really good. I heard the anime suffers from adding a bunch of fanservice (which the manga moved on from after Vol. 1) which would be fine for some genres but distracts from the horror here, and the anime gives the ghosts this purple coloring around them which is…a choice.

But yeah, the manga is interesting. They slowly start to expand on the worldbuilding with certain spirits, and the supporting cast expands and get more fleshed out.

Just watched Rent A Girlfriend season 3. I didn't expect to have these FEELS while watching this. Best season yet. I hope they finally get together next season though lol. The new neighbor character is awesome and added a lot to the show I felt.

secret smell GIF

You don't want to mention Rent-A-Girfriend on here since certain posters will get on you for even liking it 😉

Finished Kimetsu no Yaiba/Demon Slayer. I don't understand how this lasted 200 chapters when it so aggressively endeavored to be completely generic and underdeveloped. Does Shonen Jump actually encourage mangaka to make their stories complete folderol?
Shounen Jump mega hits are sometimes manufactured and not naturally an authors ambition this and MHA absolutely scream of it. My brother read Demon Slayer from chapter 1 of its release and said it felt like it does a complete narrative 180 early on probably to avoid being canceled.

Delphisage

it felt like it does a complete narrative 180 early on probably to avoid being canceled.
I always feel like an idiot when people claim they can identify creative sea changes.

I'm guessing it's referring to the shift from Tanjiro questing for his sister's restoration to a bunch of shonen warriors fighting evildoers in the name of justice?

Doom85

I always feel like an idiot when people claim they can identify creative sea changes.

I'm guessing it's referring to the shift from Tanjiro questing for his sister's restoration to a bunch of shonen warriors fighting evildoers in the name of justice?

I mean, that just felt like a natural escalation, especially since Tanjiro begins his quest by joining an organization focused on eradicating demons, and he meets the main villain really early on as well.

Saying the series did a 180 is like saying Harry Potter did a 180 from “kid goes to wizard school” to “kid defeats evil wizard lord”, no, it was a natural escalation of events.

I’m not saying Demon Slayer is insanely well written or anything, but I feel we’re reaching if we’re even criticizing the overall story progression.

A character’s initial goal or focus does not have to define the entire story. What, was the entirety of Chainsaw Man supposed to just be Denji enjoying his new life and eventually touching boobs because that was his initial goal? No, the story escalated, and I will laugh my ass off if anyone tries to claim Chainsaw Man, with its gradual very non-Shonen direction, was dictated by Shonen Jump editors (especially given one extremely non-Shonen friendly element that happens at the end of Part 1 was foreshadowed VERY early on in the story, that and so much other foreshadowing made it very clear Fujimoto had pretty much the entire story planned out from the beginning).

Final boss revealed extremely early is a massive give away. That and the how quickly the passage of time moves early on.

Delphisage

What, was the entirety of Chainsaw Man supposed to just be Denji enjoying his new life and eventually touching boobs because that was his initial goal? No, the story escalated, and I will laugh my ass off if anyone tries to claim Chainsaw Man, with its gradual very non-Shonen direction, was dictated by Shonen Jump editors
I've never seen anyone claim that. I just saw people complain about Denji's motivation to touch boobs being the reason they didn't stick with the manga beyond a dozen chapters.

And before you ask, I've read all of Chainsawman Part 1. Enjoyed it a lot, but not so much as a shonen than as an exploitation film like Videodrome.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have been keeping up with Jujutsu Kaisen and I must say it has become the most persistently traumatizing and depressing show since Game of Thrones.

I'm going back to One Piece.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally had a chance to watch season 1 of Umamusume: Pretty Derby. That show is FAR better than I initially expected. Every episode I was on the verge of my seat and a few times I was on the verge of tears. Never judge a book by it's cover lol.

Chastten

Banned
If you like Barakamon, you should try Sweetness and Lightning
Thanks! I looked it up and it seems interesting enough to give it a try so I wil once I've finished some more stuff!

I’ve not seen the anime, but what I’ve read of the manga of Mieruko-chan is really good. I heard the anime suffers from adding a bunch of fanservice (which the manga moved on from after Vol. 1) which would be fine for some genres but distracts from the horror here, and the anime gives the ghosts this purple coloring around them which is…a choice.

But yeah, the manga is interesting. They slowly start to expand on the worldbuilding with certain spirits, and the supporting cast expands and get more fleshed out.
There definitely is some fanservice, but it didn't bother me that much. Especially since it's not so much horror as it is... horrorcomedy, I guess? But yeah, my biggest gripe is that there was no real ending, but that's to be expected I guess. Most shows are open ended. But I might give the manga a shot some day.

Anyways, I just watched Suzume since I noticed that was uploaded to Crunchyroll and that movie is absolutely gorgeous!

91ifOLQ.jpg

Great scenery and story, maybe not as great as Your Name as the 'plot twist' is pretty obvious from the start but I loved it nonetheless. Can recommend to anyone who loved Your Name or Weathering With You :)

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to watch Lonely Castle in the Mirror as that seems like an interesting movie as well

Doom85

Thanks! I looked it up and it seems interesting enough to give it a try so I wil once I've finished some more stuff!

There definitely is some fanservice, but it didn't bother me that much. Especially since it's not so much horror as it is... horrorcomedy, I guess? But yeah, my biggest gripe is that there was no real ending, but that's to be expected I guess. Most shows are open ended. But I might give the manga a shot some day.

Hmm, there are definitely comedic moments in the manga, never thought of it as horror comedy, because the scary moments are legit unsettling. Wonder if the anime also changed the tone. There’s also a decent amount of sad/heartwarming scenes in the manga as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finally had a chance to see the Sound! Euphonium! Ensemble Contest OVA. As someone who used to play the euphonium in middle school it kinda makes me miss being in band lol. The animation and sound were top tier as expected for the series.

Chastten

Banned
Finally had a chance to see the Sound! Euphonium! Ensemble Contest OVA. As someone who used to play the euphonium in middle school it kinda makes me miss being in band lol. The animation and sound were top tier as expected for the series.

Man, didn't realize this was out yet. Watched both seasons and the sequel movie last year and loved it to bits. And that's coming from someone who's never done anything with music and didn't even know what a Euphonium was beforehand. On the watchlist it goes!

JFgCtXd.jpg

Manga

Dr Stone: A

Really fun manga to read through. I really loved how the main character used science to figure out how to get past issues in the plot. Especially when the world is back to a primitive age where technology has been lost. The plot itself was fun and addicting to read. The Manga didn't overstay it's welcome and I loved the rest of the cast. There is some suspension of disbelief that you have to get over to really enjoy this manga. Great art too, and even though I'm not a fan of the female faces in particular, that aspect of the art grew on me the more I read. It's also a great detail how the author used actual science to explain stuff. Like what materials they will use to make a car for example. I wonder if the author had to do alot of research into making the plot work before he started writing the manga. Overall a great read and Highly reccommanded. Loved the ending

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Is the full metal alchemist manga vastly different than either of the anime’s ? I was planning to scoop it up for the complete for myself for Christmas.

Also when is steel ball run on Netflix ? I need it straight in my veins.

Is the full metal alchemist manga vastly different than either of the anime’s ? I was planning to scoop it up for the complete for myself for Christmas.

Also when is steel ball run on Netflix ? I need it straight in my veins.

The second anime goes through the beginning parts of the manga faster but sticks close to the actual story. My recommendation is to read the manga first since you get the whole original story. Than start watching Fullmetal Alchemist (2003). Fullmetal Alchemist sticks close to the manga in the first half, it's very different in the second half. Than I recommend to Watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Brotherhood is the better anime when it comes to story, but I find the OST to be way better in the 2003 anime. Also there's some plot details in the 2003 anime I like alot more though. Overall though the manga is the one that the best to start off with

Last edited:

-Minsc-

As long as the remake will continue I don't mind. The og was amazing but there is uite a few of the novels that never got adapted. This will make me go sub to crunchyroll when it is out.
Finishing the story is always a good reason. Seems unreasonable to not finish the story in the remake. Unfortunately, unreasonable tends to become the reasonable.

Top Bottom