• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.1%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.7%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 38 18.6%

• Total voters
I'm leaning toward Boogiepop. It's on sale for £14.99 over on https://www.alltheanime.com/collect.../boogiepop-phantom-collectors-edition-blu-ray

Think I'm gonna get it.

This is the one I have

VAOkBDQ.jpg

Anyone else into good old-fashioned mecha anime? From oldies like Gunbuster or GaoGaiGar, to the more modern stuff like Gurren Lagann, anything with hot-blooded protagonists and epic transformation sequences!

Pure epicness.

Anyone else into good old-fashioned mecha anime? From oldies like Gunbuster or GaoGaiGar, to the more modern stuff like Gurren Lagann, anything with hot-blooded protagonists and epic transformation sequences!
Hurts the heart a bit that your oldies only go back to 1988, but yeah, robot anime is dope. Sadly, it's been a kinda rough 15 years-or-so for new material, though there's an upcoming Grendizer reboot and supposedly a Macross show from what used to be known as Sunrise. While not 100% mecha, recently watched the Gridman Universe movie; the actual animation isn't movie quality, but it was still pretty good.

Labolas

Pure epicness.

Go and check out Go Nagai's Mazinger stuff. It has hot blooded protags in there but boy is the plot of those series weird. Also G-Gundam is pretty good and still holds up.

NanaMiku

Pure epicness.

YES, We need more gattai mecha
Most recent anime is Dynazenon

The one in the movie is really awesome, spoiler

XhW1I4E.jpg

Hell's Paradise Jigokuraku: B+

This manga started off with an fascinating premise. The further I got into the manga the more I felt that it wasn't as good as the beginning chapters. Not to say the manga is bad, it's good. But the plot especially just has the usual Shonen tropes that for me has become kind of stale. Yuzuriha is a great WAIFU I guess and is added to my WAIFU List, as in Top 10 :p . I found lot of the characters not that interesting. Despite my issues with the manga, the art is fantastic and detailed. The Shonen had a more mature vibe to it but it didn't necessary make it better. Also there's a power system in this Shonen too. So there's that. It's only 128 Chapters, so it didn't waste my time. I just am burnt out on Shonen like Naruto, Bleach, etc.

Valonquar

Somehow missed this anime when it came out a several years back. I'm 9 episodes in so far and really like it. I've been on a bit of a music story kick lately. First I watched Kid's on the Slope, then Whiplash, now this. Seems to be a pretty common theme that musicians just plain SUFFER.

Somehow missed this anime when it came out a several years back. I'm 9 episodes in so far and really like it. I've been on a bit of a music story kick lately. First I watched Kid's on the Slope, then Whiplash, now this. Seems to be a pretty common theme that musicians just plain SUFFER.

That anime made me cry like a little boy. Prepare yourself

Meltdown Feels GIF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I love that anime so much. I got the DVD Boxset for it. I have to give it a rewatch sometime
Nice. It's got a good Blu-ray too that I think is worth it. I want to say I read somewhere years ago that it was the first TV anime produced in hd? At least as far as the digital age. Could be completely wrong. The Blu-ray is a solid upgrade at the very least.

Nice. It's got a good Blu-ray too that I think is worth it. I want to say I read somewhere years ago that it was the first TV anime produced in hd? At least as far as the digital age. Could be completely wrong. The Blu-ray is a solid upgrade at the very least.

Nice I'll look into getting that

As for the it being the first TV Anime produced in HD. I remember hearing that too. From what I remember, I loved the world building, characters, art, etc. 2000s animes were in a league of their own I'll say

Chastten

Banned

Finally watched that last year after it had been on my watchlist for quite a while, but without knowing what it was all about or the twist. Just that it was supposed to be good according to some people I know. Man, that was a ride. Easily a 9/10 for me.

Not music themed but if you like YLIA, then give I Want To Eat Your Pancreas a try as well. Both made me cry like a little kid.

Labolas

I finished this a couple of months and I forgot to post about it.

Kurogane no Valhallan by MATSUBARA Toshimitsu
i414989.jpg

Plot (from its wiki):
Tetsujiro Soma, a Kamakura warrior who survived the Genko invasion, finds himself in an unfamiliar place.

The girl who brought him here, Frist, tells him that this is Valhalla, a place where the souls of dead warriors gather... Tetsujiro is thrown into the Shura Hall of Norse mythology, and has to fight "dead warriors" from various eras in order to come back to life!

I'll keep this short considering it has been a while since I finished it. A lot of historical people are in this from Guan Yu to Genghis Khan. It's basically a battle royal to make it to the world tree to be reincarnated. But it's one of the better ones because it has an actual plot to it. There are twists along the way that work pretty well. The art is great and is easily one of the best parts of the series. Overall, a fun manga that felt like it ended too shortly. 7.5/10 (finished)

Welp, finished another manga just finished as well.

Stravaganza, The Queen in the Iron Mask by Tomi Akihito​

anBn

Plot (from Amazon): A mysterious warrior travels the kingdom of Auroria, battling monstrous creatures and seeking adventure. Few know she is secretly Auroria’s young and inexperienced masked monarch -- Queen Vivian. In a world where humans are not at the top of the food chain, the Queen in the Iron Mask must learn to use both her sword and her throne to protect her people from the dangers looming just beyond the city walls.

So this is a manga that has a female protagonist and she is the center of a lot of fanservice which I appreciated. She's a tomboy at heart often going out of the castle's walls to seek adventure. This fantasy manga itself does have a slice of life element to it unlike a lot of manga that are similar to this, but it never really hurt or took away from the experience. The art is damn good and the action scenes are well choreographed. Characters are very distinct and unique. The world itself is pretty fleshed out and is explored surprisedly given how short it is. Claria/Queen Vivian is a pretty decent main character. She is likable, naive, and courageous. You also get to see the people who serve under her as well. Her royal guards and maidens. Although they aren't as fleshed out as Claria. I like how the author made Claria a strong female character without making her stronger than her male soldiers.

The world-building/exploration is pretty fun. You get to see different races like giants, orks (that's how it spelled in the manga), elves, and werewolves. Even though the cultures of those races aren't fully fleshed out, you get enough information about them to know how they function. A lot of the beginning of the manga is spent exploring Queen Vivian's land, her castle, her people, and the surrounding area. There isn't anything completely original when it comes to the world itself but, it's still well written and seemed lived in. Things ramped up when the Orks were introduced. Let's just say things get serious. I also appreciated how the mangaka exposed Claria's naivete when it came to war. That last 1/3 of the manga tied things together really well all the way back to chapter 1.

The art. I appreciate how well things flow together in the series. From the fanservice to the action. Characters' expressions were dynamic and drew you in as well. Klords' (another race) scenes had some of the best action scenes. The art is another plus in my book.
12701984_1255_1800_694432.webp

Overall, this was a fun manga that I bought on a whim. I have to say that I was glad that I did buy it. It's worth it. You can buy it in three volumes relatively cheap on Amazon. But be warn, there's a couple of chapters missing that explore some of the other characters after the climax of the story. Although one of them kinda took me out of it.
One of the queen's maidens/servants is in an incestuous relationship with her kid brother
, but beyond that, it's really good. Everything felt like it concluded properly. Claira/Queen Vivian is one of the better female protags I've seen in quite some time. 8.5-9/10 (finished)

I finished this a couple of months and I forgot to post about it.

Kurogane no Valhallan by MATSUBARA Toshimitsu
i414989.jpg

Plot (from its wiki):
Tetsujiro Soma, a Kamakura warrior who survived the Genko invasion, finds himself in an unfamiliar place.

The girl who brought him here, Frist, tells him that this is Valhalla, a place where the souls of dead warriors gather... Tetsujiro is thrown into the Shura Hall of Norse mythology, and has to fight "dead warriors" from various eras in order to come back to life!

I'll keep this short considering it has been a while since I finished it. A lot of historical people are in this from Guan Yu to Genghis Khan. It's basically a battle royal to make it to the world tree to be reincarnated. But it's one of the better ones because it has an actual plot to it. There are twists along the way that work pretty well. The art is great and is easily one of the best parts of the series. Overall, a fun manga that felt like it ended too shortly. 7.5/10 (finished)

Welp, finished another manga just finished as well.

Stravaganza, The Queen in the Iron Mask by Tomi Akihito​

anBn

Plot (from Amazon): A mysterious warrior travels the kingdom of Auroria, battling monstrous creatures and seeking adventure. Few know she is secretly Auroria’s young and inexperienced masked monarch -- Queen Vivian. In a world where humans are not at the top of the food chain, the Queen in the Iron Mask must learn to use both her sword and her throne to protect her people from the dangers looming just beyond the city walls.

So this is a manga that has a female protagonist and she is the center of a lot of fanservice which I appreciated. She's a tomboy at heart often going out of the castle's walls to seek adventure. This fantasy manga itself does have a slice of life element to it unlike a lot of manga that are similar to this, but it never really hurt or took away from the experience. The art is damn good and the action scenes are well choreographed. Characters are very distinct and unique. The world itself is pretty fleshed out and is explored surprisedly given how short it is. Claria/Queen Vivian is a pretty decent main character. She is likable, naive, and courageous. You also get to see the people who serve under her as well. Her royal guards and maidens. Although they aren't as fleshed out as Claria. I like how the author made Claria a strong female character without making her stronger than her male soldiers.

The world-building/exploration is pretty fun. You get to see different races like giants, orks (that's how it spelled in the manga), elves, and werewolves. Even though the cultures of those races aren't fully fleshed out, you get enough information about them to know how they function. A lot of the beginning of the manga is spent exploring Queen Vivian's land, her castle, her people, and the surrounding area. There isn't anything completely original when it comes to the world itself but, it's still well written and seemed lived in. Things ramped up when the Orks were introduced. Let's just say things get serious. I also appreciated how the mangaka exposed Claria's naivete when it came to war. That last 1/3 of the manga tied things together really well all the way back to chapter 1.

The art. I appreciate how well things flow together in the series. From the fanservice to the action. Characters' expressions were dynamic and drew you in as well. Klords' (another race) scenes had some of the best action scenes. The art is another plus in my book.
12701984_1255_1800_694432.webp

Overall, this was a fun manga that I bought on a whim. I have to say that I was glad that I did buy it. It's worth it. You can buy it in three volumes relatively cheap on Amazon. But be warn, there's a couple of chapters missing that explore some of the other characters after the climax of the story. Although one of them kinda took me out of it.
One of the queen's maidens/servants is in an incestuous relationship with her kid brother
, but beyond that, it's really good. Everything felt like it concluded properly. Claira/Queen Vivian is one of the better female protags I've seen in quite some time. 8.5-9/10 (finished)

Stravaganza, The Queen in the Iron Mask​

Thanks for the reccomandation. I'll be reading that one now :messenger_smirking:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Been watching Freien lately. It seems pretty good. A bit on the melancholy side, but very thoughtful.

L2cVa9n.jpg

My Dress-Up Darling Chapter 1-98: A

Since the manga is still ongoing going to just review it like that. Overall the plot so far is fun and interesting. Has some good art and great character designs. Especially like Marin. She's a good Waifu and the manga not afraid to use fanservice which is a plus for me. I really like how they go into the process of making a cosplay. It was very informative and I wonder how much research the mangaka had to do. Since I'm all up to date, I'll be waiting for the next chapter to release. Just a positive, extremely cute manga

Delphisage

Trying to consume Attack on Titan content by release date is tiring. I'm up to June 2015, so that means I still have over a year to go before I can watch Kabaneri.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Trying to consume Attack on Titan content by release date is tiring. I'm up to June 2015, so that means I still have over a year to go before I can watch Kabaneri.
Kabaneri movie was so fucking good. Kinda sad it seemed to stop there even though it was Tetsuro Araki's passion project.

Chastten

Banned
L2cVa9n.jpg

My Dress-Up Darling Chapter 1-98: A

Since the manga is still ongoing going to just review it like that. Overall the plot so far is fun and interesting. Has some good art and great character designs. Especially like Marin. She's a good Waifu and the manga not afraid to use fanservice which is a plus for me. I really like how they go into the process of making a cosplay. It was very informative and I wonder how much research the mangaka had to do. Since I'm all up to date, I'll be waiting for the next chapter to release. Just a positive, extremely cute manga
Not sure if you're reading the physical copies but at end of several volumes there's cute little side stories added of how the creator researched things by visiting wigstores, visiting cosplay conventions, etc. As someone who's been active in the cosplay community for over 15 years they were quite nice and they really seem to have done their research, while keeping it simple enough for beginners of the hobby.

Not sure if you're reading the physical copies but at end of several volumes there's cute little side stories added of how the creator researched things by visiting wigstores, visiting cosplay conventions, etc. As someone who's been active in the cosplay community for over 15 years they were quite nice and they really seem to have done their research, while keeping it simple enough for beginners of the hobby.

I sailed the Seven Seas to read the manga. I skipped the side stories at the end of each volume.

Been reading this manga called Bamboo Blade. It's a sport manga about Kendo

I saw the original anime when it came out in 2008. Love the anime

The manga the anime adapted is complete. I'm about 61 Chapters, there's 102 Chapters total

Great manga so far. Made me laugh out loud so many times.

These are the next manga I'm reading

Eden It's A Wonderful World!
Fire Punch
Samurai 8
Pluto
One Piece 10

Manga I Keep Up To Date On

Berserk 375
Made In Abyss 66
The Land Of The Lustrous 102
Dandadan 109
Chainsaw Man 131
Tengoku Daimakyou 55
Blood On The Tracks 146
My Dress-Up Darling 98
My Hero Academia 392
Choujin X 4
Redo of Healer 44.1
Boruto Two Blue Vortex 2

What I'm gonna to read from now to end of 2024/2025

Welcome To The Ballroom
Niseko
Lone Wolf and Cub
Goodnight Punpun
Golden Kamuy
Tokyo Ghoul
Vagabond
Vinland Saga
Homunculus
Dorohedoro
I Am A Hero
20th Century Boys
Dead Dead Demon Dedededede Destruction
Ubel Blatt
Zom100
Knights of Sidonia
Gigant
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
Planetes
Call of The Night
Blade of The Immortal
Deadman Wonderland
Detective Conan
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter X Hunter
The Ancient Magus Bride
Dai Dark
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Ghost In The Shell
Akira
Appleseed
Battle Angel Alita
Lone Wolf And Cub
Oh My Goddess!
Oldboy
A Girl On The Shore
Blame!
Biomega
Noise
Mieruko-chan

Last edited:
C3LKclM.jpg

Bamboo Blade: A

Had lots of fun with this one. All the characters were great and memorable. The art was detailed and good, especially during the Kendo Matches. The plot was great and humorous. Had alot of moments where I laughed out loud. Overall, loved this manga.

NahaNago

Been reading this manga called Bamboo Blade. It's a sport manga about Kendo

I saw the original anime when it came out in 2008. Love the anime

The manga the anime adapted is complete. I'm about 61 Chapters, there's 102 Chapters total

Great manga so far. Made me laugh out loud so many times.

These are the next manga I'm reading

Eden It's A Wonderful World!
Fire Punch
Samurai 8
Pluto
One Piece 10

Manga I Keep Up To Date On

Berserk 375
Made In Abyss 66
The Land Of The Lustrous 102
Dandadan 109
Chainsaw Man 131
Tengoku Daimakyou 55
Blood On The Tracks 146
My Dress-Up Darling 98
My Hero Academia 392
Choujin X 4
Redo of Healer 44.1
Boruto Two Blue Vortex 2

What I'm gonna to read from now to end of 2024/2025

Welcome To The Ballroom
Niseko
Lone Wolf and Cub
Goodnight Punpun
Golden Kamuy
Tokyo Ghoul
Vagabond
Vinland Saga
Homunculus
Dorohedoro
I Am A Hero
20th Century Boys
Dead Dead Demon Dedededede Destruction
Ubel Blatt
Zom100
Knights of Sidonia
Gigant
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
Planetes
Call of The Night
Blade of The Immortal
Deadman Wonderland
Detective Conan
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter X Hunter
The Ancient Magus Bride
Dai Dark
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Ghost In The Shell
Akira
Appleseed
Battle Angel Alita
Lone Wolf And Cub
Oh My Goddess!
Oldboy
A Girl On The Shore
Blame!
Biomega
Noise
Mieruko-chan
That is a lot of manga. I'm not sure if I've seen a yu yu hakusho as a manga. I think I'll read that and finally read dbz manga. I still can't believe I've never read it. I think Ubell Blatt took too long to continue so I gave up on it. Appleseed sounds like a good recommendation to read and watch. Maybe on the battle angel alita for reading.

That is a lot of manga. I'm not sure if I've seen a yu yu hakusho as a manga. I think I'll read that and finally read dbz manga. I still can't believe I've never read it. I think Ubell Blatt took too long to continue so I gave up on it. Appleseed sounds like a good recommendation to read and watch. Maybe on the battle angel alita for reading.

Yeah that's why I said I will most likely finish all that by the end of 2025

Right now I just started Eden It's A Endless World!

Interesting manga so far

Doom85

C3LKclM.jpg

Bamboo Blade: A

Had lots of fun with this one. All the characters were great and memorable. The art was detailed and good, especially during the Kendo Matches. The plot was great and humorous. Had alot of moments where I laughed out loud. Overall, loved this manga.

I need to finish reading this one (I read up to Vol. 7 or 8 back in the day), when I really started getting serious about collecting manga the last few years, this was the first series I had incomplete in my collection I was able to finish getting the remaining volumes, as the last two, Vol. 13 and 14, were OOP and Amazon sellers were asking for $80 each, and then suddenly 13 was in stock and someone was selling a used copy of 14 in really good condition for $30, which was worth it for me to finish having it all.

Am I allowed to feel repulsed by Mushoku Tensei without being called an SJW?

I assume you mean repulsed by the lead character? As long as you’re not judging those who do like the series, it’s all good. I don’t hate him but just found him frustrating to follow as a lead so I dropped it.

But it’s even worse apparently in the original web novel, where before he was isekai-d, one of the shitty things he did was obtain a photo of his underage niece and……yeah. At that point, I don’t want to see him on an epic adventure, I want to see him miserable and in jail. Smart that the proper light novels removed that detail, because trauma from being bullied can only excuse so much in terms of shitty behavior.

But yeah, just don’t judge anyone for liking the show, and it should be all good.

I need to finish reading this one (I read up to Vol. 7 or 8 back in the day), when I really started getting serious about collecting manga the last few years, this was the first series I had incomplete in my collection I was able to finish getting the remaining volumes, as the last two, Vol. 13 and 14, were OOP and Amazon sellers were asking for $80 each, and then suddenly 13 was in stock and someone was selling a used copy of 14 in really good condition for $30, which was worth it for me to finish having it all.

You should the manga is complete and great

Delphisage

assume you mean repulsed by the lead character? As long as you’re not judging those who do like the series, it’s all good. I don’t hate him but just found him frustrating to follow as a lead so I dropped it.
It's a little more than that. I dropped it at episode 4 because the audience is supposed to forgive an adulterer, and even feel like he was being seduced into cheating by the maid he slept with.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Right now I just started Eden It's A Endless World!

Interesting manga so far
First time reading it I thought it was amazing but stopped because it wasn't finished being translated. Second time I went back a few years later and re-read it. It was... alright. The series goes places and there's a lot of hard to swallow pills regarding character fates. A shame Dark Horse just fucking dropped it, hopefully someone else can relicense and omnibus it.

Can see why. Only a few episodes in but I love it already. The characters are some of the best in any anime I've watched.

Also, my copy of Boogiepop Phantom came yesterday. Yay!

Glad you're loving it. It's a classic for a good reason. Still has the best English Dub to this day

First time reading it I thought it was amazing but stopped because it wasn't finished being translated. Second time I went back a few years later and re-read it. It was... alright. The series goes places and there's a lot of hard to swallow pills regarding character fates. A shame Dark Horse just fucking dropped it, hopefully someone else can relicense and omnibus it.

I'm just got to Chapter 60 and I'm loving it. I had to get used to the art since the style felt more old school than what I'm used to. I've been reading it digitally, I do have the Dark Horse physical volumes but they dropped the series. I wonder why they dropped it? If I'm not wrong that manga series was doing good sales wise. When I'm done with the manga, this might be my manga of the year for me.

Also next up is One Piece (Manga) after I finish with Eden It's A Endless World!

Last edited:
Top Bottom