• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Delphisage

The studio is Trigger. Music is Yasunori Mitsuda. The director handled episodes of Little Witch Academia, Dynazenon, and Gridman. Should be good.

Whoa, didn't know they got Gainax Imaishi to do it.
From what I've read, Dungeon Meshi is one of those shows that seems totally incompatible with them, being really mellow and absent any fanservice.

EDIT: Ugh, the slow pace of this website means I can't bump this thread without doubleposting. I want to talk about the first episode of Dungeon Meshi but can't because of it.

Last edited:

Delphisage

Sorry for the doublepost. Dungeon Meshi's first episode came out, and it looks alright. If I didn't know better, I would've assumed this was a Silver Link production with how workmanlike the animation was.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Sorry for the doublepost. Dungeon Meshi's first episode came out, and it looks alright. If I didn't know better, I would've assumed this was a Silver Link production with how workmanlike the animation was.
They're putting it on weekly and not dumping it? Oh my god it's got a normal production schedule. Trigger getting special treatment.

Chastten

Banned
3nqP1XD.jpg

So, does anyone remember this show? Seems to have been completely forgotten already. Finally finished the entire show today, after having watched the first season years and years ago.

Really liked the premise of creating your own game and there was some absolute comedy gold in there. The main male protagonist can be annoying at times (although nothing quite as bad as harem anime from the 00's) and I wished they hadn't dragged the love triangle out until the very end but at least best girl gets the guy so there's that. It's a solid 7/10 show that's worth a watch if you don't mind some harem tropes and fanservice.

Egt5Sn3.jpg

Also finally watched the latest Sound! Euphonium OAV and while storywise there wasn't a whole lot to it, it was a great watch in preparation for the new season this year. Can't wait to see what their 3rd year brings! 8/10

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Finishing reading this thing.

Hated the ending. Don't read this crap, it's not worth it.
It's basically poor man's Evangelion. What a waste.

1163329.jpg
I loved it back in 2010. Kitoh is definitely a pedophile but I still love his work. I don't think the anime is good. I'd kill for someone to license this again though and actually properly release it.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I loved it back in 2010. Kitoh is definitely a pedophile but I still love his work. I don't think the anime is good. I'd kill for someone to license this again though and actually properly release it.
Well he certainly is skilled in drawing and composition. I got frustrated at how rushed everything was at the end.
Was hoping for a more light-hearted adventure too.

Fate/Extra Last Encore (2018)

This show is a bit notorious among Fate fans. When it originally aired in 2018, a lot of circumstances worked against it being anything remotely successful. The TV airing was, to put it as delicately as possible, an absolute disaster. SHAFT is a studio notorious for problems with their TV productions and this one had them all. It was even more famous for being largely made without a working complete script, because while Kinoko Nasu himself wrote the treatment for this show, the problem was that Nasu turned in something that was reported to be hundreds of pages long for an anime that was supposed to be 13 episodes. In order to cobble together a script, a great deal of material had to be cut, resulting in this shambolic mess of a story.

And then there's the fact that because it was exclusively streamed on Netflix in those early days of Netflix having anime, it suffered from a 6 months delay from Japan TV airings to International release. The result was that really, really, really terrible fansubs were released for this show after the JP airings and the already impenetrable terminology characteristic of Fate was rendered utterly unintelligible by awful machine translations from Chinese translations of the dialogue. The story was confusing enough even with a good translation, but without one your chances of knowing what was going on were zero.

The original TV airings of the show stopped at 10 episodes, with the final 3 episodes released a few months later due to the previously mentioned production problems. People who thought that was the end of the show were probably more than a little pissed, because it obviously wasn't anything resembling an ending. The show was finished when the last 3 episodes were released, but by then most people had probably moved on with their lives after having written it off. The complete series is all 13 episodes, those last 3 episodes are not your typical fluff added for DVD/BD releases.

It's usually a bad thing when I need to write a novel about the production problems of a show before actually talking about the show itself. And I'm going to acknowledge from the very start that the story is almost incomprehensible unless you meet a fairly strict criteria which I'll lay out here. (1) You must have played through the 2010 video game Fate/Extra, and given that it was a PSP game released late in that system's life, this isn't something many people have done. (2) You must have prior knowledge of Fate/Stay Night, because characters who are but also aren't F/SN characters are in the Extra game and this show. (3) You would benefit a lot from having played FGO, because even though this show has nothing to do with FGO's corner of the Fate universe, terminology introduced in FGO which wasn't in Extra and the F/SN VN is used here just to make it even more confusing. All the Servants from Extra have long been in FGO, so you'll know them all from there too.

Assuming you meet these steep qualifications, you are probably already a pretty dedicated fan of Fate. If so, what you'll find here is something akin to a beautiful disaster, like a flower blooming in the bottom of a flooded basement in a city destroyed by war. It is, quietly, one of the best flawed shows I've ever watched. It's quite literally my favorite mistake, because everything about this show's premise is fatally flawed from the start and yet ultimately it qualifies as one of the best things Nasu has ever written. It is the best bad show I've ever watched, or maybe it's the worst masterpiece I'll ever experience. It's simultaneously baffling in it's story progression and probably the best epilogue and coda for Fate/Extra anyone can imagine having written should you reach the finale. It really is the Last Encore because when Nasu was writing what would become this TV show and the game Fate/Extra CCC, FGO had not yet taken off and Nasu truly believed he was writing Fate material for the last time as it was by then a commercial failure.

I never finished this show when it was originally airing, but the recent fan translation release of Fate/Extra CCC after a long 10 years wait sort of brought me back to this. I watched the BD release version of it, and characteristic of SHAFT, a lot of the animation was cleaned up and it looks better than I remembered from the TV airings 6 years ago. The typical SHAFT-isms are present, including neck-snapping head tilts and large sections of still-life like static images. The metaphorical nature of SHAFT style animation fits this show's themes well, and in fact SHAFT was brought back to animate this show because they animated the opening animations from CCC. The show looks unexpectedly beautiful in many places, like walking through a forest which was burned to charred stumps by a wildfire a year ago and finding the whole place green with new life as fresh plants have sprung up in the wake of total devastation.

If you've made it this far in my completely pointless review of this show, because realistically only about 1,000 people on Earth really should watch this show, then you'll probably wonder if you are insane. I assure you that while you are in fact insane, you should at least take solace in the fact that most people on Earth are insane and you really fit right in. So don't worry about it. All I can say is, for the truly dedicated who can meet the strict criteria outlined above, they will find something oddly rewarding and wonderfully charming. Just make sure you don't watch the Netflix stream or any of the original TV airings. It required a lot of dedicated work from good fansubbers to repair the translation script and those vastly improved scripts are typically included with BD release versions of this show, obtainable only by sailing the seven seas.

Final Rating: [CODE CAST]/{{System Error}}*{{Imaginary Number - Integer Overflow}} out of 10

Last edited:
72 Chapters into One Piece and this manga is fantastic

I'm currently at the part where its revealed Nami is part of the Arlong Crew. Also Zolo is captured.

So far the pacing of this manga is fantastic

3nqP1XD.jpg

So, does anyone remember this show? Seems to have been completely forgotten already. Finally finished the entire show today, after having watched the first season years and years ago.

Really liked the premise of creating your own game and there was some absolute comedy gold in there. The main male protagonist can be annoying at times (although nothing quite as bad as harem anime from the 00's) and I wished they hadn't dragged the love triangle out until the very end but at least best girl gets the guy so there's that. It's a solid 7/10 show that's worth a watch if you don't mind some harem tropes and fanservice.

Egt5Sn3.jpg

Also finally watched the latest Sound! Euphonium OAV and while storywise there wasn't a whole lot to it, it was a great watch in preparation for the new season this year. Can't wait to see what their 3rd year brings! 8/10
Haven't seen Saekano anywhere on the internet for years. It was a nice show. I liked Euphonium more though.

Frankly these day I can hardly imagine myself watching this kind of shows. I tend to watch/rewatch old classics.

The only show I'll be following this winter is the new Ao no Exorcist season which I've been waiting for since the last one ended (around 2016 I think?). After this arc, the story gets a whole lot more interesting.

NanaMiku

Haven't seen Saekano anywhere on the internet for years. It was a nice show. I liked Euphonium more though.

Frankly these day I can hardly imagine myself watching this kind of shows. I tend to watch/rewatch old classics.

The only show I'll be following this winter is the new Ao no Exorcist season which I've been waiting for since the last one ended (around 2016 I think?). After this arc, the story gets a whole lot more interesting.
Please try Delicious in Dungeon

Delphisage

Haven't seen Saekano anywhere on the internet for years. It was a nice show.
I've seen a bunch of criticism about Saekano being a two-faced show that revels in anime cliches while acknowledging how tasteless they are. I've also seen someone say the protagonist is a douchebag that everybody loves even as he's actively insulting their artistic talent.

Last edited:
Please try Delicious in Dungeon
I mean I would if I had more free time. I hardly watch anime these days. My free time goes into YouTube, gaming and drawing.
I've seen a bunch of criticism about Saekano being a two-faced show that revels in anime cliches while acknowledging how tasteless they are. I've also seen someone say the protagonist is a douchebag that everybody loves even as he's actively insulting their artistic talent.
I don't remember much about that show but somehow that criticism seems on point. Honestly when I look back at this kind of shows I'm baffled that the female characters are interested at all in the protagonist.

Chastten

Banned

Yeah, Saekano is a modern version of classic harem anime and fully acknowledges all the cliches, including often breaking the fourth wall. Like characters mentioning how one of them hardly got any screentime in the previous episode and stuff like that.

And yeah, the protagonist is a bit of a douche, although it's not as bad as in lots of shows from the 90's and 00's. At least the protagonist himself isn't a completely talentless loser like we've seen so often in the past. There isn't much of a valid reason why all these hot and talented girls are head over heels for him, but whatever... the show is pretty funny at times, which is what counts most.

Nikodemos

MahoAko S1E2:
Interesting choice on the censoring. The special BDSM low-temperature wax was a nice touch. New character sneak peek at the end.
Apparently the previous episode was #1 on the streaming charts, narrowly overtaking Dungeon Meshi.

Doom85

One Piece Manga

Got 303 Chapters into One Piece

I just got past the Skypea Arc which was fantastic

I'm thinking of just watching the anime

The anime eventually gets ridiculous with its filler. I don’t mean filler as in filler arcs or filler episodes here or there, I mean most canon episodes end up having 30-50% filler of just various characters doing meaningless shit because they had got so caught up to the manga. Even most anime-only diehards I know eventually dropped the anime and just went to the manga, it’s so much better pacing wise. Around Skypiea, IIRC it hadn’t gotten too bad pacing wise yet in the anime, but about four or five arcs past that is when the filler invasion begins. Not to mention the animation gets pretty rough with apparently only the most recent arc in the anime getting back on track with animation quality.

Also, IIRC eventually the anime starts skipping the side chapters which give certain supporting characters significant development. The anime covered the Cody and Buggy side chapters, but after that I believe they just stopped doing them. Which is nonsensical, if you’re already catching up to the manga, why skip canon material? My only guess is viewership ratings were higher when it’s an episode with Luffy and his crew as opposed to focusing on someone else, and so executives or such forced the studio to skip these side chapters. Maybe the anime went back and adapted them later on but I don’t remember.

Given the anime remake by Studio Wit was just announced, I personally recommend sticking to the manga and enjoying the new anime remake when it premieres, but that’s just me.

The anime eventually gets ridiculous with its filler. I don’t mean filler as in filler arcs or filler episodes here or there, I mean most canon episodes end up having 30-50% filler of just various characters doing meaningless shit because they had got so caught up to the manga. Even most anime-only diehards I know eventually dropped the anime and just went to the manga, it’s so much better pacing wise. Around Skypiea, IIRC it hadn’t gotten too bad pacing wise yet in the anime, but about four or five arcs past that is when the filler invasion begins. Not to mention the animation gets pretty rough with apparently only the most recent arc in the anime getting back on track with animation quality.

Also, IIRC eventually the anime starts skipping the side chapters which give certain supporting characters significant development. The anime covered the Cody and Buggy side chapters, but after that I believe they just stopped doing them. Which is nonsensical, if you’re already catching up to the manga, why skip canon material? My only guess is viewership ratings were higher when it’s an episode with Luffy and his crew as opposed to focusing on someone else, and so executives or such forced the studio to skip these side chapters. Maybe the anime went back and adapted them later on but I don’t remember.

Given the anime remake by Studio Wit was just announced, I personally recommend sticking to the manga and enjoying the new anime remake when it premieres, but that’s just me.

I just watched episode 207 and I'll see how I feel after watching the next 5 story arcs

I've been using a watch guide that let's me know which episodes are canon and which ones are filler

-Minsc-

MahoAko S1E2:
Interesting choice on the censoring. The special BDSM low-temperature wax was a nice touch. New character sneak peek at the end.
Apparently the previous episode was #1 on the streaming charts, narrowly overtaking Dungeon Meshi.
I recall a GinTama scene featuring Gintoki, Zenzou, hemorrhoids and a wax candle.

Lord El-Melloi II Case Files: Rail Zeppelin - Grace Note (2019)

This TV show is based on an Light Novel and manga written by Makoto Sanda and follows the adventures of Waver Velvet after he participated in the Fourth Fuyuki Holy Grail War, as seen in Fate/Zero. Basically, Sanda met Kinoko Nasu and was interested in writing a detective series set in the world of magecraft, and the LN was the result of this unusual collaboration. The core of the Lord El-Melloi II Case Files LN is rooted in classic detective fiction and is influenced heavily by the writings of Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle, among others.

The anime heavily modifies the source material to bring it closer in line with previous animated Fate installments, so over half of the show is anime-original. The only LN-sourced arc for this show is the Rail Zeppelin arc, for which it is named and which occupies fully half of the show's 13 episodes run. The remainder is anime-original, but carefully integrated with the Rail Zeppelin arc in order to seamlessly merge original and LN-sourced content.

Because of the show's alterations, it focuses more heavily on Waver's motives. It has been 10 years since the events of Fate/Zero. He is better known now as Lord El-Melloi II after having taken up the name and the Lordship in an agreement with the official heir, Reines El-Melloi Archisorte. She is the niece of Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald, who was last seen exploding all his innards onto the floor during the 4th Fuyuki HGW. Reines is too young to take up the mantle of Lord, and Waver found himself with little to do and a lot to think about after the events of Fate/Zero. Now he is a Temporary Lord, acting in Reines's stead until she is old enough to officially accept her role as the head of the Archibald family and become one of the Twelve Lords of the Clock Tower. He spends his days as a professor at the Clock Tower navigating the cutthroat politics of the mages while solving various mysteries, mostly murders, that confront him in the world of magic.

If what I have written so far is complete gibberish to you, then you are definitely not the intended audience for this show. It is deeply immersed in the lore and world created by Nasu for the Fate franchise. The show draws heavily from knowledge of the world you are implied to have if you are a fan of Fate, plus you won't be able to enjoy the numerous characters who cross over from other Fate entries. This was true for the LN/manga and goes doubly for the anime.

Newly added to this adaptation, distinguishing it from the source material, are anime-original characters who cross over from all corners of the Fate multiverse. Another version of Caules Forvedge actually appears in the LN but he is joined in the anime by Kairi Sisigou, both from Fate/Apocrypha. Luvia Edelfelt, who has also appeared in multiple other Fate works, joins the cast as well. Flat Escardos originally came from this LN and has since gone on to become a main character in Fate/Strange Fake. Most surprising though is the addition of Olga-Marie Animusphere, the daughter of Marisbury Animusphere and one of FGO's critical supporting characters. This version of Olga-Marie is both very cute and an entertaining addition to the Rail Zeppelin story.

This show ended up being one of the most pleasant surprises I've experienced in some years. The history of Fate-derived shows has generally been a mixed bag. I'm going to be completely honest here, this show took my completely nonexistent expectations, charged them up like a giant glowing magical lance and fired them straight into the Sun. This show was a giant bag of fun, and it channels the spirit of classic detective fiction while mixing it with the strange magecraft of the Nasuverse. The Rail Zeppelin arc itself, which is considered the most popular arc for LN readers, is a straight up homage to Christie's beloved Murder on the Orient Express but infuses the mystery with magic.

Unexpectedly, it's one of the best Fate-derived works I've watched in years, and I'm saying this as someone who has watched the Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel movies. It's that good, assuming you're already a fan of this franchise. It's one of the few shows I've ever watched where I legit want to find the fan translations of the LN and read them. I know there's many more cases like Rail Zeppelin in the first LN, and now there is a sequel LN also being translated. Sometimes, all you really need to do is add a bit of mystery novel to an unrelated franchise and magic unironically happens.

Last edited:
After watching the live action One Piece show. I ended up going back to reading the manga. I'm currently 330 Chapters in and at the Water 7 Story Arc. It's really good so far

Hardensoul

One Piece fans should check this out! Oda wrote this one shot at 17yrs old. It’s cannon, short prequel story of Ryuma. Whom Zorro defeated on Thriller Bark.

Worth checking out!

Nikodemos

MahoAko S1E4:
This one felt more like a filler episode. Still provided us with a bevy of derpy Utena faces and Haruka's pasties

Top Bottom