• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Celcius

°Temp. member
Shield Hero - Episode 24

Things are getting hype. However, with there only being 1 episode left I'm thinking there's gotta be a second season as I don't see any way to wrap everything up in one episode.

God bless DP

Updated anime openings is possibly my favorite trope in anime. I got goosebumps.

Neo Ranga: underrated Mecha because it does not follow a traditional formula but focuses more on issues few Mecha let alone other genres would touch.
I started this last years and stopped around episode 17; I should finish it. Definitely one of the most obscure mecha shows. The second opening is unique and amazing.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
As soon as netflix releasese Neon Genesis Evangelion, I will finally watch it for the first time. I tried to watch it before, but for some reason always stopped after 2 episodes or 3 and never went back. Guess somethign always came in the way.

But what I am actually curious about is, will we see the mainstream media attack the series for something they deem problematic? Looking at polygons recent attack on titan outrage, there has to be something in NGE to trigger those sjws again, right?

manfestival

Shield Hero - Episode 24

Things are getting hype. However, with there only being 1 episode left I'm thinking there's gotta be a second season as I don't see any way to wrap everything up in one episode.
Yeah I hate that. I am also getting the same feeling from One Punch Man. 2 more episodes left in this season and we are about to hit some major stuff. The only way they can do this is if they miss a bunch of cool stuff kinda like what happened in Mob Psycho 100. In shield hero I think there is supposed to be 1 more wave after this one. Which also still hasn't resolved the issue surrounding that one chick from the last wave either. Also I demand more Raphtalia

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah I hate that. I am also getting the same feeling from One Punch Man. 2 more episodes left in this season and we are about to hit some major stuff. The only way they can do this is if they miss a bunch of cool stuff kinda like what happened in Mob Psycho 100. In shield hero I think there is supposed to be 1 more wave after this one. Which also still hasn't resolved the issue surrounding that one chick from the last wave either. Also I demand more Raphtalia

Did you watch the last episode?

Last edited:

Fbh

Last Jojo episode was great.

On top the intro, the voice cast did a fantastic job acting as other characters. The boss doesn't look as menacing as they have building him up to be though, was expecting more of a Kira-style design.
Also I wonder why Polnareff didn't contact Jotaro about this new powerful Stand user, the arrow and all of that. Jotaro would even have a shot at taking down Diavolo since King Crimson is basically just The world with extra steps.

God Enel

Finished watching season 3 of my hero academia and cannot wait for season 4.

What should I watch now? Tried getting back into attack on titan but dunno can’t warm up with it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
As a massive basketball fan, I’m eagerly waiting for this one

I don't even like baseball and I saw Big Windup's first season.
xtpimVL.jpg

Mista

Banned
@Whataburger If you enjoyed a baseball anime, I recommend watching Diamond no Ace. If by any chance you love what they call “American Football” then watch Eyeshield 21

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t like baseball. The anime I posted is basketball
Yes
@Whataburger If you enjoyed a baseball anime, I recommend watching Diamond no Ace. If by any chance you love what they call “American Football” then watch Eyeshield 21
Does either anime have an aggressive female coach with big tits?

Last edited by a moderator:
JoJo Golden Wind 35
Goddamn, I knew what was going to happen and yet it still hit me much harder than I expected. What an abrupt and sad departure for Narancia. No heroic last stand or figuring out a way to beat the enemy, just sudden death. David Pro did an INSANELY good job with the short extra scene showing Fugo walking with Aerosmith's shadow flying over him, and THEN flying over the place where Abacchio died (talk about twisting the knife in the wound..) to become a bird in the end. The voice actors did a perfect job conveying the disbelief of the gang and the music made the scene all the more tragic. The line "nobody can hurt you anymore" really conveys how tragic Narancia's life was, going through so much misfortune only to die at such an early age. Did the time he spent with the gang make his life worth living? I wonder.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I legit dislike the anime only additions. Specially here when that traitor got even a second of extra play/air time. Not as bad as stretching Narancias first fight for more than 1 ep honestly but still. Are we to assume we will get an hour long death montage in the next JoJo? Aka Daddy Issues feat Spaghetti.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mista

Banned
I legit dislike the anime only additions. Specially here when that traitor got even a second of extra play/air time. Not as bad as stretching Narancias first fight for more than 1 ep honestly but still. Are we to assume we will get an hour long death montage in the next JoJo? Aka Daddy Issues feat Spaghetti.
Since I always watch the anime I don’t have a problem with that. I find it actually a great touch in the anime

Celcius

°Temp. member
Shield Hero - End

I enjoyed this show a lot more than I expected to. The plot didn't always go the way I thought it would, the characters and world were interesting, and the animation quality was great as well. The ending left me wondering what happens next but I'll just take that to mean that we hopefully get a season 2 at some point. Great show.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Just finished Fafner in the Azure... Whew lad now THAT was a show. Easily written off as an EVA clone (That term gets thrown around even more now Netflix has it up) and made fun of for Hisashi Hirai faces... It actually stands up on its own fairly well. The character development is decent, the pacing for events in the show is handled well, the psychological aspect is reflected upon the differences of the Festum against the humans rather than characters critical self analysis of themselves. Honestly interesting how fresh it is despite being 15 years old near enough. I'm gonna watch the OVA and the movie soon then jump into Exodus.

danielberg

Neophyte
I think the shitty blond coward character with the gimmick may have ruined demon slayer for me lol
Was a long time ago since i dropped something because of one unbearable character but damn if he isnt everything wrong with a character... i was praying he is not a mainstay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

I think the shitty blond coward character with the gimmick may have ruined demon slayer for me lol
Was a long time ago since i dropped something because of one unbearable character but damn if he isnt everything wrong with a character... i was praying he is not a mainstay.

I don't think he is bad enough to drop an otherwise fun show (at least yet), but yeah, he is terrible.
Kinda feels like the sort of character which might be ok in manga format but when you actually have to sit through several minutes of him whining and screaming in anime format it's 10X worse. I almost missed his fight scene in the last episode because I was skipping forward every time he showed up

I'm hoping that since the pacing has been fast it also won't take forever for him to get less annoying.

Last edited:

Shouta

When does Kenja no Mago get good

Grandpa Moe!

Serious answer: It never really does. It was at its most interesting near the start when the main character is exploring the magic system and making everybody overpowered. Everything after that is very bland other than the MC actually having a relationship. I do like that the cast is large but it's also to the series' detriment in this case.

Shield Hero - End

My expectations for the anime was kind of low but overall, it was passable to good at times. The studio definitely was kind of half-assing it though as the directing and pacing in key moments were pretty terrible with some flashes of brilliance. Music was top notch though. Overall changes to the content are okay for a more PG version of the show and there are definitely parts where it was stronger than the source material.

Sakura

Grandpa Moe!

Serious answer: It never really does. It was at its most interesting near the start when the main character is exploring the magic system and making everybody overpowered. Everything after that is very bland other than the MC actually having a relationship. I do like that the cast is large but it's also to the series' detriment in this case.
Yeah it never got good. I was hoping to watch it for some it's so bad it's funny, which it provided, but man.
Also the vtuber voice actors killed me.

Fbh

Well, finished Dorohedoro.

That was really great and easily makes it into my top 10. My opinion didn't change much from my previous post about it, I still really like its cast of characters, unique world and art and fun style which does a great job at mixing dark themes with plenty of humor. And I still really like how it stays away from the "good guys vs bad guys" cliche, instead opting for different groups with different relatable goals which make them clash with each other.

The last quarter of the story struggled a bit (while still being really enjoyable) as some of my favourite characters went away for a while, but it brought everything together nicely towards the end.

Also Chidaruma... best morally ambiguous "im just here for the lulz" character ever:
latest

Also, I really want this Kaiman statue now but it's waaaay too expensive for me:
Dorohedoro-Caiman08.jpg

Last edited:

manfestival

so I finally finished watching Shield hero. I really enjoyed the show and they handled the end of season much better than most shows that are cliffhangers. Just kinda wish I would get more complete stories instead of these constant cliffhangers. I know that these are based off of longer running stories but... but... waaaaah

Kimestu No Yaiba 12 - Finally caught up. I can see why people would hate blonde guy but I kinda like him despite being so... predictable. The animation was all over the place on this episode but I really enjoy the show and every other episode has been quality. I even feel like they really have nailed the 3d animation in this show. Normally it looks really out of place or awkward but it was really fitting in the scenarios. This show was a slow burn for me but I really enjoy it now.

One Punch Man S2 - I really love the show. The animation was subpar compared to the first season but it the story is so good! Feels bad that they are about to leave us on a cliffhanger on a pivotal story point. The show also does a really good job making me care about the other characters. I also love the fact that the main protagonist is more of a side character this season as well. I feel all over the place on who I want to root for. I just wish the show was a little longer and gave us more of the tournament and more of these encounters with the monsters.

Labolas

Finished 20th Century vol 4. and holy shit, if any of you haven't read this yet then do it. If you liked Monster then you'll most assuredly enjoy this. This is a masterpiece. And I can't wait till the next volume drops.

Rising of the Shield Hero - This was a good watch. Naofumi is a pretty good protag. And watching him go through the shit was interesting and kept me watching. I have to say though this almost a harem without calling itself one. Didn't like how conveniently all of Naofumi's teammates are female and almost all at one point shown interest in Naofumi but I digress. I had a good time with this show regardless. It isn't the best anime of season but it's up there.

Jojo season 5 - It's Jojo.... so it's good.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ragna Crimson is decent go read that if you have the time.

kiiltz

I don't think he is bad enough to drop an otherwise fun show (at least yet), but yeah, he is terrible.
Kinda feels like the sort of character which might be ok in manga format but when you actually have to sit through several minutes of him whining and screaming in anime format it's 10X worse. I almost missed his fight scene in the last episode because I was skipping forward every time he showed up

I'm hoping that since the pacing has been fast it also won't take forever for him to get less annoying.

Ya'll sleeping on my boy Zenitsu.

In other news.

CD7df1c.png

VB0paGf.jpg

[Hoh intensifies]

kiiltz

This whole arc has been Ousen's Wild Ride. He could do a Geass tier "checkmate" and I'll still eat it up.

Sidebar: I was rereading a couple of months ago and and I noticed that Hara must have got himself a legit background artist in the last 100 chapters or so. This whole kino arc makes the Kanji arc look like a Kubo manga.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
7 seeds got an anime? Oh it is a Netflix original? Right! That usually means it will be either horrible or passable. Episode 1 went by really fast and the sense of hopelessness just wasn't there. The way it split chapters up also pisses me off. Botan's VA is perfect in this. Also I hope even if it is Netflix that we see more of these "older" series being adapted.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So... It's 2019. How is Saint Seiya still not properly subbed? lmao.

Got a bunch of 80s stuff I'm gonna start soon, Giant Gorg, Arcadia of My Youth, Rintaro's Galaxy Express movies and Trider G7.

-Minsc-

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THE ORIGIN: Advent of the Red Comet 9

The colony drop. Definitely a tragedy we can not comprehend. Seeing the colony coming straight for you and not being able to escape.

Top Bottom