• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.1%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.7%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 38 18.6%

• Total voters

Verdanth

Watched AOT episode 54.

While I followed the manga for a while, after season 2, I didn't get to the part where the anime is currently on.

Man, Armin's death was handled so well. It toasted my feelings.

I know there is still Levi's syringe, but I suspect that one goes for Erwin.

Last edited:
Anyone been watching The Rising of the Shield Hero? I’ve seen up to episode 19 of the dub and it’s been a pleasurable experience. I really like Naofumi and his relationships with his “sidekicks,” most notably Raphtalia and their budding romance. Naofumi has had it rough as hell in this series though. Gotta feel sorry for the guy. Lol.

Shouta

Anyone been watching The Rising of the Shield Hero? I’ve seen up to episode 19 of the dub and it’s been a pleasurable experience. I really like Naofumi and his relationships with his “sidekicks,” most notably Raphtalia and their budding romance. Naofumi has had it rough as hell in this series though. Gotta feel sorry for the guy. Lol.

Yeah, a couple of us have been watching it though I think we're ahead because of the sub.

Osukaa

Shield Hero is really good i'm enjoying it as well. I thought i'd get tired of it or it would turn out to be a Harem anime ( it kinda is) but its been enough action and story etc that i've been loving it. I also watch sub so I cant really comment on the dub version lol.

wintermutexo

Neo Member
Where should I start with the Gundam franchise? Can I quite literally start from the beginning and work my way through the years or is there a specific story to some of the shows that ideally should be watched before others?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Where should I start with the Gundam franchise? Can I quite literally start from the beginning and work my way through the years or is there a specific story to some of the shows that ideally should be watched before others?
The great thing about the Gundam franchise is that you can start pretty much anywhere.

Here's the path I took over the years:
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz (awesome)
Gundam Seed (awesome)
Gundam Seed Destiny (good)
Gundam Build Fighters (awesome)
Gundam 00 (great)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (awesome)
Gundam Wing (average)
Iron Blooded Orphans (awesome)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (average)
Gundam Build Divers (poor)

Helios

The United Nation’s Committee on the Rights of the Child have published comments received from various nations on its “Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child” draft law they announced back in February.

The law came under scrutiny from some nations. While the law would be used to enforce the restriction child prostitution and media depicting sexually exploited children, they feared its terminology around the latter would be too vague.

This could result in the prosecuting of individuals not engaged in creating or viewing such material (i.e. child characters not in sexually explicit activity, or characters in sexually explicit activity that were not children).

The UN posted various responses to their proposal from various nations and organizations. The United States, Japan and Austria all laid out issues they had with the proposed law. The United States (in summary) stated they wished their own local laws to take precedent over the UN’s proposed laws:
Japan also stated similar concerns, stating removing audio and written material from the law, as well as clarification on whether an allegedly offending piece of media is depicting a child.
Finally, Austria also expressed its concerns, stating that EU law already had a definition that they felt were more accurate.

Similar comments expressing the definitions were too broad were also expressed by Prostasia, Teenagers Group Against the Prohibition of Comics Animation and Games and the Center for Japanese Language and Culture. They also expressed disagreement that such offending material- correctly identified or otherwise- would encourage real life abuses.
Groups also expressed their concerns about the proposed law. The Japan Society For Studies in Cartoons and Comics (JSSCC) expressed concern that the context of a piece of media would not matter under the law:
In the example above, Berserk features a character who was sexually abused as a child. While not intended to be for primarily sexual purposes, the JSSCC argues the proposed law as it stands would be banned under the new law- despite it not being intended to do so.
Other nations and groups did not express disagreement with the proposed definitions.

Start with the original Gundam (1979). Either the original series or the compilation movie trilogy will work. It has aged remarkably well, and it is not only the definitive Gundam series, it also begins what is the "core" timeline (UC Timeline). The events of Gundam lead directly into Zeta, then ZZ, and finally to Char's Counterattack. Stuff like 0080, 0083, and 08th MS (all good stuff) are side stories that take place in and around the events of these core three series. There's other UC Timeline shows, like F91, Unicorn, and Victory, but they take place in the far future so they aren't generally relevant to the core series.

Stuff like Wing, Seed, Build Fighters, G, 00, Iron Blooded Orphans - they all take place in their own continuity, so they are usually stand alone spin offs. However, they usually remake entire elements from the original series, so they become more archetypal remakes that usually benefit from familiarity with the original material. Like Seed is basically a remake of the original Gundam (with Seed Destiny being a terrible remake of Zeta) and 00 is a remake of Wing. And Build Fighters has references to pretty much every Gundam series. They stand alone

One warning about Yoshiyuki Tomino, the Gundam creator (so Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, Turn A, Reconguista) - the dude likes to throw people into the deep end of his world building and never explain anything. Brain Powerd is the worst, but even enjoying the heck out of Overman King Gainer, I still don't know what it is about. You mix that with overly emotional characters who don't act like real humans, and it can be a challenge to enjoy his work. Not to mention the bipolar disorder where Tomino can be as fluffy as cotton candy, or as dark as Batman's bathroom. What I'm saying is that the guy is a genius of epic proportions, but you have to understand going in that his genius might kick your ass before you appreciate it.

The great thing about the Gundam franchise is that you can start pretty much anywhere.

Here's the path I took over the years:
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz (awesome)
Gundam Seed (awesome)
Gundam Seed Destiny (good)
Gundam Build Fighters (awesome)
Gundam 00 (great)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (awesome)
Gundam Wing (average)
Iron Blooded Orphans (awesome)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (average)
Gundam Build Divers (poor)
I would absolutely recommend NOT watching things in the order you did. I mean, Build Fighters is a fan service spin off that assumes you've seen at least the original Gundam, and Endless Waltz is the end of Wing so don't watch that before Wing. And the only UC series you've seen there is Unicorn (I've only seen the first two episodes, but it'll probably be appreciated a lot more with some knowledge of the UC timelines).

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
jai0BH3.jpg

They are finally going to put it out of its misery.

Sakura

Yes you can start from the beginning. The UC series should be watched in the order they released. The other series are all their own universe so just watch the ones you are interested in.
For UC, Original Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Unicorn. If you are really into the UC universe, then you can watch the OVAs as well, but they are side stories and not important to the overall story.
The original Gundam is really old, and it shows. I'd suggest watching the movie compilation of the series instead. Victory Gundam and F91 are UC, but they are their own stories and have very little to do with the other UC series aside from existing in the same timeline.
As for the non-UC series, I would recommend Wing, Turn A, SEED/SEED Destiny, and Build Fighters. The other series I would not recommend unless you get really into Gundam and need to see everything.

As for the non-UC series, I would recommend Wing, Turn A, SEED/SEED Destiny, and Build Fighters. The other series I would not recommend unless you get really into Gundam and need to see everything.
First of all, SEED is trash tier and SEED Destiny is trash on fire tier. Build Fighters is like 50% inside jokes, so while you may understand what is going on, you won’t know how much you are missing. And Wing... well, I’ve never been a big fan of it. It’s not terrible, but due to being the US’ first Gundam series, it is more popular than it deserves.

As for what you missed: 00 is pretty darn good for the first season (second season is awful and somehow, the movie is even worse). G has its many charms. And Reconguista is... Tomino. Whether that is a selling point or not is up to the individual. I haven’t seen Victory or X, so I can’t keep them separate in my head, but one of them, at least, is generally well respected.

Last edited:

Shouta

@Whataburger they messed it (SnS) up that badly?

Most recent arc is pretty bad. It's an international cooking competition. However, super powers were introduced and all of the battles were rushed like the author had no idea what to do anymore. There's been one or two decent chapters in there and a few interesting revelations but it's definitely run out of steam.

Sakura

There's other UC Timeline shows, like F91, Unicorn, and Victory, but they take place in the far future so they aren't generally relevant to the core series.
Unicorn takes place 3 years after Char's Counter Attack, and features a number of characters from the previous series. I wouldn't say it is in the far future and I wouldn't say it isn't relevant to the core series either.

First of all, SEED is trash tier and SEED Destiny is trash on fire tier. Build Fighters is like 50% inside jokes, so while you may understand what is going on, you won’t know how much you are missing. And Wing... well, I’ve never been a big fan of it. It’s not terrible, but due to being the US’ first Gundam series, it is more popular than it deserves.

As for what you missed: 00 is pretty darn good for the first season (second season is awful and somehow, the movie is even worse). G has its many charms. And Reconguista is... Tomino. Whether that is a selling point or not is up to the individual. I haven’t seen Victory or X, so I can’t keep them separate in my head, but one of them, at least, is generally well respected.
SEED is still better than the ones I left out (00. Age, etc) which is why it is there. It is also closer to the UC Gundam series than the other AU titles, which makes it easier to recommend to someone if they are into the UC series and want more Gundam. Jesus Yamato is also hilarious and I think every body should experience it.
You can't really separate the second season of 00 from the first. It's why I wouldn't recommend IBO either.
Reconguista is Tomino yes, but if you want Tomino then stick to the good stuff, like ZZ.
Ultimately my opinion on non-UC series is watch the ones that sound like something you would be interested in, like I said in my post. Maybe give the first few episodes a shot. The AU series can be so different from each other, some not even feeling like Gundam at all (eg G or Build Fighters), that is is hard to recommend X Y and Z. With AU you can skip whatever you don't like, but I wouldn't recommend skipping the main UC titles because of the shared plot.

Last edited:
You can't really separate the second season of 00 from the first. It's why I wouldn't recommend IBO either.
Sure you can. Just assume that after the first season ends, everybody on the staff had a stroke and died - much like the terrible tragedy that befell the staff of Buffy the Vampire Slayer after season 3.

Reconguista is Tomino yes, but if you want Tomino then stick to the good stuff, like ZZ.
I love Tomino's work (Xabungle is the most weirdly brilliant giant robot anime I've ever seen). Even the bad stuff (like Brain Powerd) still has things worth recommending about it. I'm not recommending Reconguista as a Gundam series. I'm recommending it as a Tomino series.

With AU you can skip whatever you don't like, but I wouldn't recommend skipping the main UC titles because of the shared plot.
Don't skip the UC shows because THAT'S Gundam. Everything else is a spin-off. It's like Star Wars. Sometimes, you get stuff like Rebels, which is good. But sometimes, you get Disney Star Wars, which is really bad. And sometimes, you end up with Bombad Racing. But you haven't seen Star Wars unless you've seen A New Hope.

Sakura

I love Tomino's work (Xabungle is the most weirdly brilliant giant robot anime I've ever seen). Even the bad stuff (like Brain Powerd) still has things worth recommending about it. I'm not recommending Reconguista as a Gundam series. I'm recommending it as a Tomino series.
Then why haven't you watched Victory? 🤔

Then why haven't you watched Victory? 🤔
Because when I watched Gundam, a bunch of it wasn't released in the US yet. So I missed Victory, Turn A, and ZZ during my initial watch - and I still haven't seen them. I've been saving Turn A and I'm watching Ideon now, but ZZ is next and I guess Victory will be after that. All Tomino, all the time. I want to bathe in the sweat from that man's brow.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Baki as a character is extremely boring. His girlfriend is annoying and seemingly out of place for a fighting anime and his dad is unbearable. The entire show would be literal shit without the other characters.

Doom85

Some of y'all have terrible opinions on Gundam. Whew.

Which has been said to every single Gundam fan ever. Seriously, somebody always has some issue with somebody's rankings and so forth, you just got to learn not to give a shit and like/dislike which ones you do.

I like how Gigguk mocked this in his "Actual Top 20 Anime Every Fan Needs to Watch" video, when one of the numbers simply said "a Gundam". He (and this is meant to be a joke video) said you can just watch any of them, most of them are pretty much the same with mechs, politics, explosions, etc. Gigguk: "So when a Gundam fan asks you which Gundam series is your favorite, you say, 'the best one.' They'll instantly know which one you mean. And if they ask you which one is the best, simply respond with, 'yes.'"

My opinions aren't opinions. They are facts. You can't argue with facts. Tide goes in. Tide goes out. You can't explain that.

I disagree about Gundam SEED. I actually thought it was pretty good and I bought the entire series on DVD. I didn’t get into SEED Destiny, but when the remastered Blu-ray collector’s sets hit RightStuf, I am going to buy both series.

manfestival

Watched AOT episode 54.

While I followed the manga for a while, after season 2, I didn't get to the part where the anime is currently on.

Man, Armin's death was handled so well. It toasted my feelings.

I know there is still Levi's syringe, but I suspect that one goes for Erwin.
yeah they also were way more clear about the results of these decisions too in the show vs the manga

Sakura

I disagree about Gundam SEED. I actually thought it was pretty good and I bought the entire series on DVD. I didn’t get into SEED Destiny, but when the remastered Blu-ray collector’s sets hit RightStuf, I am going to buy both series.
Yeah it is a good series.
The main problems with Destiny I have are the recap episodes and the amount of reused animation. Considering how popular SEED was you'd think they could've afforded to spend a little bit more money in the animation department.

I am sad that JoJo is ending soon :(

JoJo has been on a fire since at least the Doppio vs Risotto fight. The whole Green Day/Oasis double fight was awesome. The VAs of Cioccolata and Secco did an amazing job conveying how twisted they are, and the 30-second Muda Muda was extremely satisfying. And of course, the last episode crushed it with the boss and the cliffhanger.

What was also enjoyable was my brother pointing out the locations he's been to during his trip to Rome last year, down to a kiosk in the background. There's a chance I'll go there this summer., if I do I'll make sure to take pictures with GioGio poses.

Btw, I find that Vinland Saga song cringy and unfitting for an adaptation of a seinen.

Mista

Banned
JoJo has been on a fire since at least the Doppio vs Risotto fight. The whole Green Day/Oasis double fight was awesome. The VAs of Cioccolata and Secco did an amazing job conveying how twisted they are, and the 30-second Muda Muda was extremely satisfying. And of course, the last episode crushed it with the boss and the cliffhanger.

What was also enjoyable was my brother pointing out the locations he's been to during his trip to Rome last year, down to a kiosk in the background. There's a chance I'll go there this summer., if I do I'll make sure to take pictures with GioGio poses.
I've read the manga so I knew already what I was getting but damn, having everything animated is 100% GREAT
Especially that boat dancing scene. I waited YEARS to see this animated and wasn't disappointed at all

Steel Ball Run is still the greatest part to me and I want an anime for that too but I know how long I have to wait...

Osukaa

Btw, I find that Vinland Saga song cringy and unfitting for an adaptation of a seinen.

I think this has been my favorite Jojo series so far. I love everything about it and it doesn't feel to safe or predictable like the previous Jojo's I really have no idea who's gonna live and die. Plus I am so happy to not have Jotaro or the other living Jojo's showing up to much in this one as I really don't like them that much. My favorite Jojo is Joseph and second one is definitely Giorno.

manfestival

I am so excited to finally be able to talk about the next part of the story of attack on titan. Just caught up to the latest episode. I am sure seeing it animated will improve everything 10 fold BUT I do not recall all of that extra stuff once they found the cellar. I remember it cutting to the picture then the next chapter begun but it has been so long that I forgot

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've read the manga so I knew already what I was getting but damn, having everything animated is 100% GREAT
Especially that boat dancing scene. I waited YEARS to see this animated and wasn't disappointed at all

Steel Ball Run is still the greatest part to me and I want an anime for that too but I know how long I have to wait...
I don't like the anime only things David does. But at least they aren't JC Staff.

Top Bottom