• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters
Ok, how can no one seems to be talking about Promare ? The movie just released today in Japan. In case you don’t know, it’s made by the same team behind Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill ( both fantastic series by the way ).

Promare-anime-image-0-1.jpg

I mean, just look at how incredibly colorful and slick the visuals look :

tumblr_pghmkmCTRV1rb1rgoo3_500.gif

tumblr_pghmkmCTRV1rb1rgoo2_500.gif

eff.gif

tumblr_pghmkmCTRV1rb1rgoo1_500.gif

It’s basically Gurren Lagann meets Burning Rangers. Just by the color palette and the character design, it looks 1000x more exciting than any other anime releasing this year.

So looking forward to an international release !

I love how the MC is totally not Kamina.

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh

kiiltz

And Shield Hero is on its 2nd cour competing against new anime. However, it still managed to maintain interest even with the new competition. If people don't like it, then they would not watch it and Shield Hero would go down in ratings.
I honestly don't even know if we're on the same page anymore. I was never trying to contest Shield Hero's popularity?

I haven't seen the example and thus, I saw no reason to respond to it with no knowledge.
You've been relying on the burden of proof way too much throughout this conversation (more on that later) which is kind of funny given that I actually don't even know why you highly regard the Reddit ranking so much (you were the one who brought it up first).

We seem to agree it's a popularity contest though? And again, you don't really understand the Kaguya vs Mob, nor addressed the other shows like RtE and FB being low so I guess I'll just agree to disagree.

A Wiki definition with citations to multiple articles. Citing your own experience is anecdotal evidence which is extremely limited in scope. Not to mention, when there are multiple dictionary sites (albeit of the slang types) also use similar definitions, it's not a coincidence.
Yeah, you're not getting the point and it's getting kind of annoying now. I'm not arguing over what the term means.

*I* used the term differently than to how *you* are used to it being used.

Therefore

Any discussion about it is moot, since we both originally had different ideas in mind and thus aren't on the same page.

Not willing to maintain the same standard? Is Golden Time a harem anime, then?
I don't really care, dude. Its not one or the other for me. I'm not someone who gets anal over what the term means, I was just explaining what other people could mean when they use it.

You said that they weren't your arguments, so it suggests that you're not thinking for yourself but letting others think for you.
Again, you're ignoring context in why I was even saying that. Someone mentioned they hadn't heard anything about it in a while. I offered (or addressed more like) an explanation as to why that was the case. It's not like I spontaneously started saying it.

You believe in a certain claim? Then you better damn well be prepared to back it up.
This isn't politics or science or factual evidence where burden of proof is everything (though I suppose it is the internet). At some point, especially with the creative medium and especially anime/manga, you're going to run in to someone who essentially says "I don't like X but I saw it a while ago so I can't back it up". I'm sure you even have something you enjoyed or disliked but can't explain. It doesn't make that opinion any less valid and no they don't have to back it up.

It seems more to me that you just want to shoot anyone's opinion down rather than actually have a discussion, at least that how you've come off. And yeah, it was a shoddy argument but I figured since I got myself into this mess I might as well see it through.

I honestly don't even know if we're on the same page anymore. I was never trying to contest Shield Hero's popularity?
You were contesting the r/anime rankings claiming that they were bullshit. I was making a point as to how Shield Hero's ranking is not BS by explaining the context of the 2nd cour competing against new anime.

You've been relying on the burden of proof way too much throughout this conversation (more on that later) which is kind of funny given that I actually don't even know why you highly regard the Reddit ranking so much (you were the one who brought it up first).
Did I actually claim that r/anime's weekly rankings are always correct?

Seems like you're missing the point entirely. My point is that Shield Hero has managed to maintain its ranking in the Top 5 consistently because the audience still enjoy the anime.

We seem to agree it's a popularity contest though? And again, you don't really understand the Kaguya vs Mob, nor addressed the other shows like RtE and FB being low so I guess I'll just agree to disagree.
I don't understand Kaguya vs Mob because I haven't seen the situation myself. Therefore, there's no point in me commenting on something I don't know. That would be stupid of me.

And the popularity is dependent on the people's perception of the anime's merits.

Yeah, you're not getting the point and it's getting kind of annoying now. I'm not arguing over what the term means.

*I* used the term differently than to how *you* are used to it being used.

Therefore

Any discussion about it is moot, since we both originally had different ideas in mind and thus aren't on the same page.
Then why link Shield Hero to incels in the first place? Because of that juicy Guilt By Association?

Heck you haven't even proved whether actual incels actually watch Shield Hero in the first place.

I don't really care, dude. Its not one or the other for me. I'm not someone who gets anal over what the term means, I was just explaining what other people could mean when they use it.
You don't care and yet you cared enough to go out of your way to show what the "real" definition of what a harem is.

Here's a hint. The harem genre is not the same as your definition of what a harem is. Go look at all the harem anime like Shin Maou no Testament, Trinity Seven, Infinite Stratos, Nisekoi, and SAO and count how many female characters want to court the male protagonist romantically. Now, compare that to Shield Hero.

Again, you're ignoring context in why I was even saying that. Someone mentioned they hadn't heard anything about it in a while. I offered (or addressed more like) an explanation as to why that was the case. It's not like I spontaneously started saying it.
You offered an explanation for why one person haven't heard much about Shield Hero. Meanwhile, I showed how that he is most likely an exception, not the rule. I also contested the claim of the writing being shallow in which you have poorly supported due to your lack of preparation to defend it.

This isn't politics or science or factual evidence where burden of proof is everything (though I suppose it is the internet). At some point, especially with the creative medium and especially anime/manga, you're going to run in to someone who essentially says "I don't like X but I saw it a while ago so I can't back it up". I'm sure you even have something you enjoyed or disliked but can't explain. It doesn't make that opinion any less valid and no they don't have to back it up.
Nope, not at all because that's not how I do things. If I don't finish a show, I do not pass off my opinions as if I've seen the entire thing. If I do drop a show and give my 2 cents, I give a disclaimer and admit that my opinions are made in limited scope.

And if I were to take your logic and apply it to video game reviews, then Reviewer X who played 25% of Game X holds as valid of an opinion as that of Reviewer B who played 100% of Game X. But guess what? The reality is that people will trust Reviewer B more because he actually played the game from beginning to end.

It seems more to me that you just want to shoot anyone's opinion down rather than actually have a discussion, at least that how you've come off. And yeah, it was a shoddy argument but I figured since I got myself into this mess I might as well see it through.
Criticizing someone's opinion =/= Shooting down someone's opinion. I have been doing the former, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the lazy character assassination attempt.

And no, seeing it through while being aware that your argument was a shoddy one is the definition of insanity. Go back, retool, and try again. But if you don't want to listen to my advice, fine. Apparently, I just want to shoot down your argument...

kiiltz

You were contesting the r/anime rankings claiming that they were bullshit. I was making a point as to how Shield Hero's ranking is not BS by explaining the context of the 2nd cour competing against new anime.

Did I actually claim that r/anime's weekly rankings are always correct?

Seems like you're missing the point entirely. My point is that Shield Hero has managed to maintain its ranking in the Top 5 consistently because the audience still enjoy the anime.

I don't understand Kaguya vs Mob because I haven't seen the situation myself. Therefore, there's no point in me commenting on something I don't know. That would be stupid of me.

And the popularity is dependent on the people's perception of the anime's merits.

Then why link Shield Hero to incels in the first place? Because of that juicy Guilt By Association?

Heck you haven't even proved whether actual incels actually watch Shield Hero in the first place.

You don't care and yet you cared enough to go out of your way to show what the "real" definition of what a harem is.

Here's a hint. The harem genre is not the same as your definition of what a harem is. Go look at all the harem anime like Shin Maou no Testament, Trinity Seven, Infinite Stratos, Nisekoi, and SAO and count how many female characters want to court the male protagonist romantically. Now, compare that to Shield Hero.

You offered an explanation for why one person haven't heard much about Shield Hero. Meanwhile, I showed how that he is most likely an exception, not the rule. I also contested the claim of the writing being shallow in which you have poorly supported due to your lack of preparation to defend it.

Nope, not at all because that's not how I do things. If I don't finish a show, I do not pass off my opinions as if I've seen the entire thing. If I do drop a show and give my 2 cents, I give a disclaimer and admit that my opinions are made in limited scope.

And if I were to take your logic and apply it to video game reviews, then Reviewer X who played 25% of Game X holds as valid of an opinion as that of Reviewer B who played 100% of Game X. But guess what? The reality is that people will trust Reviewer B more because he actually played the game from beginning to end.

Criticizing someone's opinion =/= Shooting down someone's opinion. I have been doing the former, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the lazy character assassination attempt.

And no, seeing it through while being aware that your argument was a shoddy one is the definition of insanity. Go back, retool, and try again. But if you don't want to listen to my advice, fine. Apparently, I just want to shoot down your argument...
Okay, I've been trying meet you half way this whole time but I give up. You made an analogy about completing something when I was talking about memory. And I did put up a disclaimer saying it's been a while since I read it and that you weren't going to get much discussion out of me.

For what's it worth I wasn't trying to character assassinate you nor do I know why you took it that way so I'm gonna take that as a sign that we're just not on the same wavelength.

Okay, I've been trying meet you half way this whole time but I give up. You made an analogy about completing something when I was talking about memory. And I did put up a disclaimer saying it's been a while since I read it and that you weren't going to get much discussion out of me.

For what's it worth I wasn't trying to character assassinate you nor do I know why you took it that way so I'm gonna take that as a sign that we're just not on the same wavelength.
Then don't conflate dissent with trying to shoot someone's opinion down.

petran79

Banned
I am watching at a slow pace Miss Machiko. No wonder it is not popular. Early 80s series about school kids trying to find ways to strip their school teacher. Despite that premise, episodes are not so bad and there are funny moments. Also the ecchi scenes are of the cartoony style, not the newer ones where they try to show every detail, spoiling the fun.
Even so, 1 episode per day should suffice. Waiting also for Attack no 1 fansub to finish so I can rewatch the series. Eurodub had some scenes edited and 3 episodes removed, plus they changed some countries because it was broadcast after the fall of communism, despite being a 60s series

I am watching at a slow pace Miss Machiko. No wonder it is not popular. Early 80s series about school kids trying to find ways to strip their school teacher. Despite that premise, episodes are not so bad and there are funny moments. Also the ecchi scenes are of the cartoony style, not the newer ones where they try to show every detail, spoiling the fun.
Even so, 1 episode per day should suffice. Waiting also for Attack no 1 fansub to finish so I can rewatch the series. Eurodub had some scenes edited and 3 episodes removed, plus they changed some countries because it was broadcast after the fall of communism, despite being a 60s series
Is it okay to have a crush on a character right after Googling her?

(^ totally not a LN title)

kiiltz kiiltz I find it funny that your posts and your avatar are often in perfect sync, I mean I like to imagine the character in your avatar saying the content of your posts in a half-serious half-nonchalant manner while puffing. I can almost hear the voice of Rio Futaba in Bunny Girl Senpai. Lol

How are you watching Miss Machiko?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just watched the first episode of "The Rising of the Shield Hero" and really liked it.

I should have seen that trap coming from a mile away... it was too good to be true lol

I just watched the first episode of "The Rising of the Shield Hero" and really liked it.

I should have seen that trap coming from a mile away... it was too good to be true lol
The 21st episode will air this Wednesday, so you have 20 episodes including this week's to go.

Be prepared for the anime to slow down starting Ep 7 & 8, but it slowly picks up from there. Also, the studio adapting the series, Kinema Citrus, isn't a big studio and this is their very first time doing a 2-cour anime. So expect some obvious moments of budget saving.

Sakura

Was rewatching Higurashi the other day. I wish Ryuukishi07 still made titles like Higurashi and Umineko. Nobody is really doing series like that.

manfestival

That last episode of AoT was top tier. Glad they managed it well and didn’t ruin it
I am saving watching all of the episodes of the shows I want to watch till friday(got a 4 hour flight) but this hurts in a good way. Just means my flight is gonna pass time faster lol. This moment in the manga was intense

Mista

Banned
I am saving watching all of the episodes of the shows I want to watch till friday(got a 4 hour flight) but this hurts in a good way. Just means my flight is gonna pass time faster lol. This moment in the manga was intense
Super intense and what didn’t disappoint is how they made it in the anime. Me and you are on the same page and I guarantee you that you’ll enjoy it

Haven't watched that episode yet, still catching up with my brother, but after hearing people's impressions I'm tempted to buy the corresponding manga volume as I still have no AoT in my small collection. It's also kind of amazing to see my brother actually reading what characters are saying and paying attention even though there's a lot of talk, whereas in other shows he would often check his phone during dialogues. The Reiner/Bertholdt reveal really got people invested in their characters I guess.

kiiltz

>"I just wanted to meet that person one more time!"

You know what, I don't even care if he's recycling old shit. There's gonna be rain, some nice sky panning shots, a lost connection motif and a dope ass piano driven OST and I'm gonna eat all of it up.

Shouta

Shield Hero 21 was adapted really well considering the differences from the manga and light novel. This version of the events makes soooo much more sense as well since the public is now fully aware of what occurred and the image of both the Shield Hero and the Queen are held intact.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG-5603.jpg

I got this yesterday. I haven't watched it yet, but these "the manga was better" reactions are getting annoying. Even the reviews on Amazon are from non-verified purchases. I've been looking forward to getting this for a while now. I don't care if its not as good as the manga. I'm sure there's a handful of fans who enjoyed it without being so judgmental.

petran79

Banned
I got this yesterday. I haven't watched it yet, but these "the manga was better" reactions are getting annoying. Even the reviews on Amazon are from non-verified purchases. I've been looking forward to getting this for a while now. I don't care if its not as good as the manga. I'm sure there's a handful of fans who enjoyed it without being so judgmental.

When it comes to traditional horror anime, Yamishibai was much better and atmospheric. Even Hakaba Kitaro few years ago had much better direction. Itoh collection is decent at some episodes and faithfull to the manga material. I had feared for worse, especially after what happened with the movie Gyo few years ago. But I would not watch it a second time. Viewers who had not read the manga might find it much better.
I'd prefer to spend the money to buy Uzumaki or any other of his manga instead

Shield Hero 21 was adapted really well considering the differences from the manga and light novel. This version of the events makes soooo much more sense as well since the public is now fully aware of what occurred and the image of both the Shield Hero and the Queen are held intact.
I only change that I didn't really like was that the queen was less manipulative in the anime. Otherwise, the trial and punishment scene were very satisfying.

Shouta

I only change that I didn't really like was that the queen was less manipulative in the anime. Otherwise, the trial and punishment scene were very satisfying.

She's just as manipulative, just less directly. She told him her plan and knew the person he was which would spare the punishment she decided on. Even her back-up plan had hints of that too. If she ended up doing that in front of a national broadcast to the populace, he'd basically be forced to let them off the hook from what she decided.

3March

Banned
So I decided to watch some really old anime from my childhood. I've selected an even split of shonen, and shojo. Let's see how quickly it takes for me to drop them! I'm watching them subbed, because my sanity can only handle so much.

- Beyblade
- Yugioh
- Shaman King
- Sailor Moon
- Ojomajo Doremi
- Precure

Let the games begin.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally got caught up on Shield Hero and this anime has far exceeded my initial expectations. I can't wait to see what happens in the next few final episodes.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When it comes to traditional horror anime, Yamishibai was much better and atmospheric. Even Hakaba Kitaro few years ago had much better direction. Itoh collection is decent at some episodes and faithfull to the manga material. I had feared for worse, especially after what happened with the movie Gyo few years ago. But I would not watch it a second time. Viewers who had not read the manga might find it much better.
I'd prefer to spend the money to buy Uzumaki or any other of his manga instead

From what you're saying it sounds like it's similar to the manga, but his way of storytelling doesnt exactly make for a good film? I find his work to be unique, so the occasional drawn out stories aren't new to me. I enjoy him enough to purchase most of his books, but I have come across a few that were better as an after thought or left in your own day dreams/night terrors. Did you watch any of the live action Tomie films?

Those Funimation digital codes don't seem to work right from what I'm reading online. I can't get mine to work. I even submitted a support ticket.

petran79

Banned
From what you're saying it sounds like it's similar to the manga, but his way of storytelling doesnt exactly make for a good film? I find his work to be unique, so the occasional drawn out stories aren't new to me. I enjoy him enough to purchase most of his books, but I have come across a few that were better as an after thought or left in your own day dreams/night terrors. Did you watch any of the live action Tomie films?

Those Funimation digital codes don't seem to work right from what I'm reading online. I can't get mine to work. I even submitted a support ticket.

Tomie films were fine as a live action adaptation.

The particular anime direction had few issues and animation was not as good for such a new series.
If you want a good similar horror adaptation,watch the OVA Umezu Kazuo no Noroi, based on 2 short stories of yhe famous horror manga author. Despite being a 1990 OVA, it captures the authors horror atmosphere perfectly and with better animation too

bronk

Banned
What is this about? Looks cool
IMG-5603.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What is this about? Looks cool
The anime adaptation of Junji Ito's work. If you've read his short stories or even his longer, more well known stories then you might recognize all the characters. Amazon has the manga digitally for a reasonable price. This is the first time I've seen this particular series released under a North American company (Funimation). I'm not sure how they released in Japan.

Last edited:

3March

Banned
Day 2 of the "watching kids anime challenge"

3 episodes in to all of them, Yugioh, Beyblade, and Sailor Moon are all out of the picture

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Ok, how can no one seems to be talking about Promare ? The movie just released today in Japan. In case you don’t know, it’s made by the same team behind Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill ( both fantastic series by the way ).

Promare-anime-image-0-1.jpg

I mean, just look at how incredibly colorful and slick the visuals look :

tumblr_pghmkmCTRV1rb1rgoo3_500.gif

tumblr_pghmkmCTRV1rb1rgoo2_500.gif

eff.gif

tumblr_pghmkmCTRV1rb1rgoo1_500.gif

It’s basically Gurren Lagann meets Burning Rangers. Just by the color palette and the character design, it looks 1000x more exciting than any other anime releasing this year.

So looking forward to an international release !
I love the way Trigger are slowly making the case for keylines to no longer be needed, it's all about the shapes and colours. Gorgeous stuff.

After enjoying Run With The Wind I binged the other series based on another one of the author's works, "The Great Passage/Fune Wo Amu". Lovely stuff, perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon, well worth a watch if your tired of dungeons, high schools and robots. It's on Prime, eleven episodes.

Last edited:

kiiltz

Day 2 of the "watching kids anime challenge"

3 episodes in to all of them, Yugioh, Beyblade, and Sailor Moon are all out of the picture
I actually recommend sticking with the Yu-Gi-Oh anime, especially if you're doing subs. It's very sloppy at first, Yugi's VA in particular (I kept alternating at first bcus Dan Green), but eventually it grows into it past the island arc. Also has a killer OST that didn't get featured in the 4kids version, some of the best "ohshit" moments in anime in season 5 and Kaiba's VA is sexier than Dio's.

3March

Banned
I actually recommend sticking with the Yu-Gi-Oh anime, especially if you're doing subs. It's very sloppy at first, Yugi's VA in particular (I kept alternating at first bcus Dan Green), but eventually it grows into it past the island arc. Also has a killer OST that didn't get featured in the 4kids version, some of the best "ohshit" moments in anime in season 5 and Kaiba's VA is sexier than Dio's.
Okay then. Fine, I guess Yugioh is back in... for now.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Damn we're getting some quality discussions out here now. I'm loving it.

I will say though, I'm not a fan of Junji Ito's work but the anime adaptation is bad. Taking his work from the page and just converting it to moving pictures just doesn't do it any justice when they can't capture what he's going for with the way he panels the stories, with how abrupt or suddenly conclusive they are. Amongst other things it just doesn't do Ito justice, same with the shit Gyo OVA but the threesome scene was funny.

I watched the first 4 episodes of Mob Psycho S2 tonight... Probably the best thing I've seen in 2019 so far. Still can't believe anyone values One Punch Man over this.

Osukaa

So I just finished Code Geass hmmm I liked it and i'd give it a good 7 out of 10 but alot of things really bugged me. Without spoiling much when it came time to face the main baddie and then when they try to explain everything I was like wait that's it? The show went downhill for me after that but I was still entertained enough to finish it. I have a love hate relationship with Lelouch lol. Favorite character was Rolo Lamperouge cause he was at least focused on his objective and damn if anyone else was gonna get im his way lol. Has anyone seen the new movie? Without spoiling anything is it any good?

Fbh

dorohedoro-696x365.png

Started reading Dorohedoro, I'm only a few volumes in but so far it's fantastic.
The world is really interesting and creative, the art is great and it has that mix of fucked up shit, action and humor that I like. I always appreciate when these stories stay away from the classic "good guys vs bad guys" scenario, both main groups in this are great, with fun internal dynamics and you can't help but rooting for both. Golden Kamui does this too which is I like it too.

I've been reading this, it's quite fun so the anime should be pretty good.

Easily the best current Shonen Jump manga IMO. Great characters, the art is fantastic and while it's not always 100% accurate I'm glad if it has gotten a few kids into science.
Also best reaction faces ever.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
dorohedoro-696x365.png

Started reading Dorohedoro, I'm only a few volumes in but so far it's fantastic.
The world is really interesting and creative, the art is great and it has that mix of fucked up shit, action and humor that I like. I always appreciate when these stories stay away from the classic "good guys vs bad guys" scenario, both main groups in this are great, with fun internal dynamics and you can't help but rooting for both
Dorohedoro is great and deserves to be recognised by many. Planning to re-read it soon

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So I just finished Code Geass hmmm I liked it and i'd give it a good 7 out of 10 but alot of things really bugged me. Without spoiling much when it came time to face the main baddie and then when they try to explain everything I was like wait that's it? The show went downhill for me after that but I was still entertained enough to finish it. I have a love hate relationship with Lelouch lol. Favorite character was Rolo Lamperouge cause he was at least focused on his objective and damn if anyone else was gonna get im his way lol. Has anyone seen the new movie? Without spoiling anything is it any good?
Watch Akito the Exiled it's honestly better than the series.

Osukaa

As of right now my anime of the season that im really in love with has got to be Sarazanmai.
33510bcdefa71548373f594b2ee739be.jpg

I Highly recommend this anime. Its from the creator or Revolutionary Girl Utena. I dont even want to say what its about as it would spoil things. This has been the most interesting and just different thing I have seen in a while. Plus it has my character of the year Enta in it. Damn that boy just is too much but I love the hell out of him for it LOL.

Top Bottom