• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anna Kendrick Wants to Play Squirrel Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I want Squirrel Girl as a movie of phase 4. Seriously, that would be the most fun ever. They need to do it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My favorite articles are actors saying they'd like to play roles nobody offered them yet

especially Anna Kendrick, who is just wrong for that. It should be somebody almost insufferably bubbly and optimistic.

220px-Ellie_Kemper_photo_by_Josephine_Sittenfeld.jpg

Uuuunbreakable.

Maybe Shyamalan should direct the weirdest meta sequel crossover ever.

LordRaptor

Squirrel Girl (and the GLA) work for exactly the same reasons the Legion Of Substitute Heroes works, or the movie Mystery Men works.
Or shit, even why films like The Mighty Ducks or Cool Runnings worked.

I like the gigantic post earlier that describes Squirrel Girl as one of us. Because I identify strongly with how amazing and utterly broken/overpowered Squirrel Girl is.

We both 11/10s in winning in life.
Would LOVE a Squirrel Girl movie, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is my favorite run in comics history.

It's impossible to make a superhero movie that isn't a bunch of white dudes talking about how hard it is to handle all of their power, culminating in a third act that is mostly a bunch of robots blowing up buildings for 45 minutes.

Having said that, I would be open to Squirrel Girl having a post-credits scene in a possible Thor/Captain Man movie.

not while she still holds on to beating thanos and doom.

Tbf if "X beat people WAY the fuck above his paygrade" was a decent excuse to despise a character, people should hate Steve Rogers and Tchalla with the fury of a thousand suns.

And Batman, fwiw

Vyer

I tried the first couple of issues, it wasn't for me. It pretty clearly would be something safe to recommend to younger readers, though, so I fully support that happening.

Not sure how it would work as a movie, though. While it's pretty ideal for the MCU -safe and generally harmless - It's basically the ridiculousness and self awareness of Deadpool, but with all the adult humor and raunch stripped out. Curious how that would play out and be received.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It kind of is.

she's a funny joke character for jokes.

People like her because of that. That doesn't take away from thanos or doom.

shes a joke character thats somehow unknowingly defeated two of marvels powerhouses. then put her on teams where shes supposed to be a grounded character. that would be like bringing in the girl from the worst xmen and having her play straight up despite knowing she has god like power. theres a lot of things within the spectrum of " its comics, we dont have to explain shit" but most of the time they at least try to explain the crazy shit that happens. with often bs rationale, but still, reasons. im not off of her having her own book, but she doesnt mesh well with the rest of the 616.

Tbf if "X beat people WAY the fuck above his paygrade" was a decent excuse to despise a character, people should hate Steve Rogers and Tchalla with the fury of a thousand suns.

And Batman, fwiw

cap and tchalla beat people with strategies. same with cyclops. they dont strongarm heroes above their paygrade. and people shit on godmode batman all the time.

This would be the perfect Squirrel Girl casting for me. Someone who can bring that earnestness to the role.

Also, I hope the next artist on all you Squirrel Girl art haters' favourite comic is Greg Land.

Parallax

"She killed Doom and Thanos--take those back if you want to have a real character" is all I get from it.

No reason SG can't get a good movie.

no, i want reasons as to how.

This would be the perfect Squirrel Girl casting for me. Someone who can bring that earnestness to the role.

Also, I hope the next artist on all you Squirrel Girl art haters' favourite comic is Greg Land.

he most likely will. they'll get rid of him when they get of bendis

PsychBat!

Banned
I tried the first couple of issues, it wasn't for me. It pretty clearly would be something safe to recommend to younger readers, though, so I fully support that happening.

Not sure how it would work as a movie, though. While it's pretty ideal for the MCU -safe and generally harmless - It's basically the ridiculousness and self awareness of Deadpool, but with all the adult humor and raunch stripped out. Curious how that would play out and be received.

I agree with this.

Squirrel Girl feeds on internet hate, guys, it only makes her stronger

She could probably take the Living Tribunal after this thread

(I'd love a Squirrel Girl movie but Anna Kendrick is wrong for the role)

cap and tchalla beat people with strategies. same with cyclops. they dont strongarm heroes above their paygrade. and people shit on godmode batman all the time.

And sg beats people with words.

same level of nonsense as doom being beaten by squirrels, steve's punches fazing hulk or tchalla solo beating the shit out of a guy that could wrassle gladiator ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sg just crosses that oh so magical serious business line for some folk.

Parallax

4637459-capkicksoutprofessorhulk_zpsb55449a2.jpg

same level of nonsense as doom being beaten by squirrels or tchalla solo beating the shit out of a guy that could wrassle gladiator ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sg just crosses that oh so magical serious business line for some folk.

are you talking about panther vs surfer?

If they can make a "great" and "compelling" narrative and arc for a guy who turns green and smashes then I'm sure they can do it for a character who commands squirrels.

You did say suspension of disbelief was needed.
Wait... So why would we want a movie for a character that hasn't had a great narrative arc then? Why not use one that already has good history to pull from?

ErichWK

Squirrel girl is great and fun and light hearted and meant to be fun. Don't be so mad that she defeats all these ultimate villains.

Dalek

Squirrel Girl is consistently one of the best books. The Time Travel arc recently with Doctor Doom was hilarious. And my daughter was in it.

Anna Kendrick is all wrong for this role. Kristen Schaal would had bee good about 10 years ago-Doreen is like a College Sophmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom