• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha - December 16th-18th

Bsigg12

I cannot wait to see what they do with this running on the Scorpio. There were some truly stunning visuals in this alpha.

The water looks amazing watching the videos but is not interactive and don't have physics.So is beautiful but nothing more.

A sinking ship causes effect on the water. It doesn't create new waves, but it affects the current ones. Also the foam from the water seems to be physically driven, it's always there where you would expect it.

The moment to moment stuff looks great but I haven't seen anything yet that's going to keep people hooked. Where are you hiding it Rare?!

It looks so so pretty.....

Also, for those who are in these alphas there is an NDA in place but you can talk about your exploits over on the official forums without fear of any repercussions.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
A sinking ship causes effect on the water. It doesn't create new waves, but it affects the current ones. Also the foam from the water seems to be physically driven, it's always there where you would expect it.

Watching the videos i don't see any phisical reaction of the water when you are swimming and when the ships cross the water. I'm talking of water like kameo or resistance 2, water does react 3d to objects and to the player.The water of this game doesn't seems to react like those games.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe this game is actually happening!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dont cheer to soon. Fable Legends was in closed beta a long time. :D

Hehe, also that true fantasy live online comes to mind. Still remember a magazine describing true proximity based chat that game was apparently supposed to have.
LOL

Theorry

untitledomp8e.png

Btw you can check if you have a invite i believe. People who are added to the Sea Of Thieves club on Xbox are in next time.

Test this weekend again. Check your emails. :)

all i get is emails saying to stay tuned as i might get selected. then i never get the email saying I'm selected. It's depressing. I've been rejected for this alpha more times then i got rejected in high school LMAO

Would love to hook up with some gaffer's of possible for the next test. Although, not sure about anyone else, but I was having some temperamental issues with the chat last time. Chat is proximity based right?

In a hour it goes live i believe. The EU session.

This right. I had a really good crew last time and we all kind of agreed to sail together again next time but they were both American and I just can't stay up til 2am haha <3 should be fun to see how easy it will be to fine a fun crew though if you're just trying your luck with matchmaking. Sadly no one I'll I know will get this so crossing my fingers the community does end up being really friendly. I think the nature and subject of the game helps.

Theorry

This right. I had a really good crew last time and we all kind of agreed to sail together again next time but they were both American and I just can't stay up til 2am haha <3 should be fun to see how easy it will be to fine a fun crew though if you're just trying your luck with matchmaking. Sadly no one I'll I know will get this so crossing my fingers the community does end up being really friendly. I think the nature and subject of the game helps.

LFG and Clubs are gonna be a big factor also i think.

WadeitOut

I'm still not in it but a friend let me play it a bit over at his house.

I loved it. A lot. It's the king of game I like firing up on a Saturday to just screw around while I have a sporting event up on another display. I really love tropical and pirate themed things though so the sandbox itself is very enjoyable to me.

Again, sadly cannot speak about the game itself unfortunately, but I do come out of the alpha once again feeling really good about the type of community this game will foster. Really cool folks super up for playing the game as intended, doing the roles etc. Really refreshing compared to my normal experiences with voicechat with random matchmaking!

Just want to throw it out there, because I'm not sure what changed with the nda. But the alpha forums do have an nda break report thread and gaf members and links have shown up in there, even gaf users who arent in the alpha yet but shared stuff. I only just looked at the thread for the first time last night and was surprised to see gaf stuff reported in there lol. Just don't want you guys to get locked out from a chance of getting in. I'll check the changes later and give my thoughts if there's anything I can share.

Leyasu

Banned
Again, sadly cannot speak about the game itself unfortunately, but I do come out of the alpha once again feeling really good about the type of community this game will foster. Really cool folks super up for playing the game as intended, doing the roles etc. Really refreshing compared to my normal experiences with voicechat with random matchmaking!

Yep really good.

Can't wait to play again

Just want to throw it out there, because I'm not sure what changed with the nda. But the alpha forums do have an nda break report thread and gap members and links have shown up in there, even gaf users who arent in the alpha yet but shared stuff. I only just looked at the thread for the first time last night and was surprised to see gaf stuff reported in there lol. Just don't want you guys to get locked out from a chance of getting in. I'll check the changes later and give my thoughts if there's anything I can share.

Wow a really sad behaviour IMO.
Sure NDA breaking is bad blabla.. but what exactly is there to break with SoT? They always showed the current alpha content in their official videos.
People saying that its fun should make them happy.

RoKKeR

Wow a really sad behaviour IMO.
Sure NDA breaking is bad blabla.. but what exactly is there to break with SoT? They always showed the current alpha content in their official videos.
People saying that its fun should make them happy.

It's less about the content and more the devs entrusting individuals with very early versions of a game. It's part of the deal that comes with the agreement... they give us access, we respect their requests. Not entirely unreasonable to me, even though &#8211; as you mentioned &#8211; we have seen the content in the alpha through public channels.

Another enjoyable session yesterday &#8211; I do think they are on to something great here and the community they have fostered already is really fun.

Pretty much. Whether it is reasonable or not, the agreement is made in exchange for access, and I just wanted to give even folks who are not in the alpha the heads up about sharing stuff they see on twitter etc in case it impacts their access down the line. I did double check the NDA but it appears it's just the contents of their email updates that were green lighted, which they pretty much release as blog posts and alpha update videos publicly anyway. If the game is really coming out this year for real for real I'd hope around E3 we get beta phase and we can discuss it. I really can't wait to be able to talk about the game. Unlike say Wildlands where I played the beta thing and had almost no thoughts on it, I do actually have a lot of thoughts on the alpha as it is, what i'd love to see etc. Just making sure I thoroughly fill out my surveys right now.

Top Bottom