• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha - December 16th-18th

Just a friendly reminder for any of you who may or may not be in the program, it's on now!

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm having a pretty good time.

Hey I got an invite for this alpha as well today. Do I need xbox live gold to participate? Want to know before I dl it and find out it was for nothing.

This weekend was the first session I go invited to. The game definitely has big potential, but definitely needs to be played with a pre-formed group in its current state.

Side note: wow, is it pretty; really strong art direction realized.

Ah, nice. I had actual real life plans last Saturday so had to skip the test, but I really enjoyed the two before and Wednesday will work infinitely better for me.

Fuck. This is what I was worried about. This doesn't bode well.

I would actually say the opposite if it helps (not to contradict Steel, absolutely to each his own and I appreciate he can't really say why he feels that way). Obviously we are limited in not being able to saying any about the game experience or details itself but I can say that for both tests I linked up with randoms there and then and we had a great time. You can probably find my posts if you go back and search but I have mentioned a few times, I am incredibly surprised by the experience I've had in this thing with the people I've met. Very willing to chat, lean into the game and play their roles, we all had good chat and added each other. This honestly couldn't be further from my experiences with randoms in all my time playing games to be honest. Maybe it's just the type of game will garner the attention of a different kind of online player (the guys I played with last time were super into ARK) but it made me feel good about the potential of the community to enhance the experience.

Also I will remind that I have saw users of the alpha forum report gaf users from this thread on grounds of breaking NDA so if you are in the alpha, or have hopes of being accepted, please do not compromise yourself and post pics or vid, that was what they seemed mostly unimpressed about, and it's probably best not to discuss actual details of the experience (not conducive to conversation I know, but just trying to help)

New thread maybe? If its going to be a weekly occurrence it might be an idea to have a specific thread for those in the alpha.

Also, does that mean it's on tonight?

New thread maybe? If its going to be a weekly occurrence it might be an idea to have a specific thread for those in the alpha.

Also, does that mean it's on tonight?

Yes they will start today.

Here is the entire post:

I've got some exciting news to share. Over the past couple of months, we've been having scheduled weekend play sessions that allows invitees to test out an in-development build of Sea of Thieves, with each session introducing a new features, balances and bug fixes to improve the player experience. These have been incredibly useful in gathering player feedback, testing our services and getting an idea of just how fans will react to the game that we're building.

Because it we're finding it so useful, starting tomorrow, we'll be holding weekly play sessions every Wednesday between 7-10pm GMT. These weekly play sessions will not replace our current routine of spaced out weekend sessions and if you've already been invited to a previous Technical Alpha then you're already in and good to go.

The purpose of us doing this is to gather more information on how players are interacting with our game, meaning we see these weekly tests as data driven rather than feedback driven. To that end, don't worry too much about posting feedback for us after these weekly sessions and just enjoy your time playing!

Unlike our weekend sessions, the content of these weekly updates will vary in scope, with some possibly featuring large feature updates and some featuring back end work that players may not necessarily be able to see. Regardless, we'll be posting release notes for each of these updates so that you know exactly what to expect.

Of course, we still plan on holding weekend play sessions that will contain more deliberate and targeted content updates. We know that there are still many of you eager to take part in the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha test phases, and we'll continue to invite waves of new players in the run up to our larger scale weekend sessions, who'll also then be able to start participating in the Wednesday sessions.

I'll leave it there, but you can read up on this in more detail through the email that participants will receive tomorrow. If you have any questions, then don't hesitate to send them our way.

I would actually say the opposite if it helps (not to contradict Steel, absolutely to each his own and I appreciate he can't really say why he feels that way). Obviously we are limited in not being able to saying any about the game experience or details itself but I can say that for both tests I linked up with randoms there and then and we had a great time. You can probably find my posts if you go back and search but I have mentioned a few times, I am incredibly surprised by the experience I've had in this thing with the people I've met. Very willing to chat, lean into the game and play their roles, we all had good chat and added each other. This honestly couldn't be further from my experiences with randoms in all my time playing games to be honest. Maybe it's just the type of game will garner the attention of a different kind of online player (the guys I played with last time were super into ARK) but it made me feel good about the potential of the community to enhance the experience.

Also I will remind that I have saw users of the alpha forum report gaf users from this thread on grounds of breaking NDA so if you are in the alpha, or have hopes of being accepted, please do not compromise yourself and post pics or vid, that was what they seemed mostly unimpressed about, and it's probably best not to discuss actual details of the experience (not conducive to conversation I know, but just trying to help)

Right, don't break NDA in the thread, people.

Quote this post

Salty Hippo

There's a PC specific survey out now. Pretty long, lots of info collected. They say the Alpha for the PC version is really coming soon.

Sydle

I hope I get in the PC alpha. In the original survey a few months ago I listed PC as my preferred platform, in addition to indicating I own a Xbox One as well, and I think that's why I didn't get in the alpha yet.

*fingers crossed*

StillEdge

So what time is this going down. Because it is refusing to install the game on my Xbox. I had it installed and it was refusing the update so I uninstall and when I go to reinstall it, it just keeps saying "installation stopped"

So what time is this going down. Because it is refusing to install the game on my Xbox. I had it installed and it was refusing the update so I uninstall and when I go to reinstall it, it just keeps saying "installation stopped"

Wierd, ive been in the beta for the last few tests...but the clinent usually updates/installs without issue in the background throughout the week. I remmeber downloading like 10 gigs wortht of update the other day while playin gta 5

Theorry

"Sea of Thieves
A Technical Alpha play session is on the horizon this weekend! And 23,000 more invitations will be sent tonight, so keep a sharp eye out!"

Rembrandt

Banned
Fuck. This is what I was worried about. This doesn't bode well.

I disagree with that poster. Have always been with randoms and it's still been a blast, with teamwork and cooperation instinctively happening.

Playing with a team would just make the game better; playing without one doesn't detract from it.

Zeta Oni

Got one today, and I never get anything from the sea of thieves site, so I encourage others who have yet to be invited to check it out.

Top Bottom