• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another game hit by the Switch tax: Minecraft Story Mode

roytheone

Not going to lie, was thinking about using my switch as my main indie platform, but if a lot of them have a 10 € tax I will just stick with the steam versions.

Don't be that guy, MS. Not now. This is bad PR and you really don't need that now. Treat people right and people will treat you right. Treat people bad and people will treat you bad. Price parity is a must.

Microsoft owns Minecraft, but this game was made by Telltale. I don't think MS has any say in the pricing on this one.

Not going to lie, was thinking about using my switch as my main indie platform, but if a lot of them have a 10 € tax I will just stick with the steam versions.

Does Telltale make indie games now? The only "indie" game that was set to cost more on Switch is Rime, and they just brought the digital version of that game down so it has parity. There's a long list of indie games that have already released on Switch with price parity. The issue here seems to be the cost of cartridges leading to more expensive physical copies.

Shiggy

There is no difference - the PS4/XBO version were more expensive because they could get away with it since the library on those systems were relatively small at that point - exactly like on Switch right now. Later Telltale releases on PS4/XBO were cheaper again because they had more competition from their own Telltale games and other publishers.

The releases were all 30-35 EUR from what I see, at least the disc releases.

Is this also for the digital release?

No information on that yet.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Except the physical versions of Telltale games are always $30 on all consoles. In fact new gen consoles hardly get price hike ups. They're still around the standard price games usually cost. It's more the last gen version are $10 cheaper.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887465&highlight=walking+dead

Seeing how Switch is selling, the audience that attracts Minecraft and the fact that there arent too many retail releases planned in the near future....anything else would have surprised me tbh.

I expect the price of their other games like TWD if it gets ported over to be a bit more reasonable...but with MC they can get away with it i assume.

Boem

Yeah this game really isn't worth it for that money. Even if you like Telltale's formula and aren't tired of it/annoyed by the technical issues, this is aimed at a very, very young audience. More than any other Telltale game apart from, maybe, their early Bone games. Only consider it if you've got very young children who love Minecraft. It's very 'power of friendship' and all that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887465&highlight=walking+dead

Seeing how Switch is selling, the audience that attracts Minecraft and the fact that there arent too many retail releases planned in the near future....anything else would have surprised me tbh.

I expect the price of their other games like TWD if it gets ported over to be a bit more reasonable...but with MC they can get away with it i assume.
For their sake it better be back to $30 if they decide to port their other games cuz $40 is not an attractive price for a Telltale game.

zelas

Shiny new console tax has been there forever - PS4/XBO versions of many games were also more expensive than their PS360 counterparts like TWD Collection from Telltale.

Many? Lol.

If you're going to make (poor) comparisons to last gen then you should talk about how last gen "many" games gave consumers the option to upgrade to a next gen version for a fraction of the price, instead of having to pay full price a second time. Last I checked there was a Wii U version of Minecraft Story Mode and "many" other titles that could have similar price breaks.

For better or worse, these price discrepancies are because of cartridge cost and Nintendo's policies. We don't need to make up other excuses.

At least with tetris you got 2 keychains. Lol digital soundtrack code. people buying physical defo would appreciate a digital soundtrack. /s

cw_sasuke

For their sake it better be back to $30 if they decide to port their other games cuz $40 is not an attractive price for a Telltale game.

I think for their non-Minecraft content they will go for the standard price - because it caters more to the regular TT "core" gamer who probably wouldnt support that BS...but with Minecraft and the upcoming Holiday season, it makes sense from their point of view.

Many? Lol.

If you're going to make (poor) comparisons to last gen then you should talk about how last gen "many" games gave consumers the option to upgrade to a next gen version for a fraction of the price, instead of having to pay full price a second time. Last I checked there was a Wii U version of Minecraft Story Mode and "many" other titles that could have similar price breaks.

For better or worse, these price discrepancies are because of cartridge cost and Nintendo's policies. We don't need to make up other excuses.

The upgrade options was there for a handful AAA games during the launch - this didnt effect stuff like the Telltale releases or a bunch of other indie titles. It was implemented because some Multigames released a couple of days/weeks prior to the One/PS4 console and they didnt wanna force customers to double dip or have to wait with game purchase until the consoles are out - this cant be really compared to this situation. Or did SE give you a chance to upgrade FFX HD PS3/PSV for cheap to the PS4 version ?

Price discrepancies are happening because the Switch is a new system and some publisher can get away with it. The same way Nintendo probably wont be able to get away or sell something like 1-2 Switch 2 years from now to the Switch customers. Its common sense and has been happening for decades now.

But it seems like you already made up your mind....so lets agree to disagree and continue to treat something that has been part of every new console launch, like a Switch exclusive issue.

Ridley327

It included 8 episodes.

Was 40 EUR here without any.

I wonder if that had anything to do with Deep Silver handling distribution in Europe for Sega, versus Sega doing their own thing elsewhere. As strange as it sounds, it may not have been Sega's decision to make WRT the pricing in Europe for that title.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Telltale on Switch? Good lord, I don't even want to consider how bad they might screw up performance.

cw_sasuke

I reagrd it as New Console tax tbh as it pretty much happens with every single new console release anyway

Yup, initial cost of porting a engine/game to a new console + less retailer competition have often resulted in some publishers/devs charging that new console tax. Its pretty much the only time period where they can get away with it because people wanna play something on their new systems.

Why change cartridges in 2017 anyway?

Funny you say that. At first I really liked the idea of carts but the more I use my Switch the more I really just love having it all on hand and ready to go. Only physical purchase so far has been Zelda.

Are cartridges that much expensive? This was never an issue with 3DS/DS/Vita (where games were even cheaper than Their console counterparts) so why is it blowing up now?

Ridley327

Are cartridges that much expensive? This was never an issue with 3DS/DS/Vita (where games were even cheaper than Their console counterparts) so why is it blowing up now?

3DS and Vita game cards only ever hit 4GB for retail titles. I don't know how big MSM is, but we're starting to deal with games that are shipping on game cards that are already up to four times the size as that, and in one case thus far, a whopping eight times. There's also the factor of these games being the "real deal" versus the spinoffs and smaller scale counterparts that frequently hit handheld systems in the past.

That's great for you, but that doesn't decrease the retail price, which still remains higher than on any other platform.

I was always given the impression that those who brought physical didn't mind paying more for the option. I see it becoming the norm going forward tbh. Still, that doesn't explain the exact reason why some of these games are higher I guess.

Fliesen

Why change cartridges in 2017 anyway?

You can share and resell carts, you can't with your digital purchases.

So, assuming you'd only play through this single player story based game once, you'd likely end up paying less, if you account for the fact that you'll easily be able to sell your cartridge for at least 20$.

apotema

On top of that, here in my third world country, if a game gets a physical release, the digital price on the eShop goes through the roof, because of a deal with retailers

Don't be that guy, MS. Not now. This is bad PR and you really don't need that now. Treat people right and people will treat you right. Treat people bad and people will treat you bad. Price parity is a must.

lol ok. I'm sure that's their first line of thought in pricing their game. I'd talk to Nintendo about their accessory prices first.

jholmes

Its Minecraft related - doesnt really matter how old it is, they can charge that price.
Or are you expecting regular Minecraft or GTAV to drop in price soon because of their age.

I mean, I bought Back to the Future for like $1 twice, so the idea I'm going to buy what is functionally the same game with a license I have no interest in at a much higher price is a bit much to take. Comparing Telltale's assembly-line licensed games to the massive undertaking that is GTAV is pretty rich.

Shiggy

Another one to add to the list: Sine Mora Ex

29.99 EUR on Switch
19.99 EUR on PS4/X1

At first it looked as if there was price parity, but the distributor was (relatively) quick to notice their mistake and adjust the price. Some retailers still have the Switch version up for the old price, so you may want to preorder now, or just wait for the inevitable bargain bin prices later down the road.

TLZ

Banned
Shiny new console tax has been there forever - PS4/XBO versions of many games were also more expensive than their PS360 counterparts like TWD Collection from Telltale.

I don't know where to start with this silly post.

The PS4/Xbone prices are normal and the PS360 ports are cheaper. PS360 are also inferior even if new. The Switch is inferior to PS4/Xbone and should NOT be more expensive. If anything it should be similar at max and cheaper for it's inferiority.

Also collections and HD collections come out usually cheaper on the newer consoles than they were originally.

But of course Nintendo should be given a pass and and all kinds of excuses.

cw_sasuke

I don't know where to start with this silly post.

The PS4/Xbone prices are normal and the PS360 ports are cheaper. PS360 are also inferior even if new. The Switch is inferior to PS4/Xbone and should NOT be more expensive. If anything it should be similar at max and cheaper for it's inferiority.

Also collections and HD collections come out usually cheaper on the newer consoles than they were originally.

But of course Nintendo should be given a pass and and all kinds of excuses.
I have no clue what you are trying to say to be honest. Game prices based on inferiority? So Destiny 2 on consoles will cost half as much as the PC Version? Good to know.

Obviously Switch games shouldn't be more expensive that games on other systems. But the Switch market is in a different spaces compared to the established and seasoned eco system. There is less content and competition on Switch. And some publishers or devs will feel take advantage of that fact... That will always be the case.

You would have a point if Nintendo's own Switch games were more expensive than their WiiU counterparts for example.

Top Bottom