• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Demo Impressions Thread

Ogbert

Not 100% sure but I remember reading somewhere that there might be an option to tone it down.

Would be useful.

The game is perfectly competent. The thing I just can't shake, when playing, is 'Why are Bioware making a looter shooter'?

It's not their strength. The gunplay, so far, is about a 7 out of 10. Sniper rifles are cool.

Now, if this was a single player RPG - holy shit, would be awesome. But it's not - it's a sort of nothingy framework for selling, I imagine, cosmetic microtransactions. Nothing especially wrong with that; but a waste of Bioware's talents.

scydrex

Well i played Destiny for 1 month and got sick of it... couldn't take it anymore. Sold the game right away, so looking at some comments i see is the same thing. Nop, will not get it. Maybe later if it gets good reviews, updates and lower price.

VertigoOA

Banned
So what do you get for playing this beta? A skin?

By chance you end up sticking with it, it’s nice to know you’re were once a day one player.

Last edited:

Meccs

The hub city feels almost like I am playing one of those old on rails adventure games. It's so slow and everyone is just standing there so so you can click on them. It feels completely dead and the slow walk is killing me. Why is this even in first person? Just for the animation where you get into your suit?

The loot aspect of this game seems to miss the mark imho.

The loot itself seems OK. Seems like decent complexity and room for individualized builds.

But the way loot drops and is identified just doesn't feel very exciting, and that's a pretty important thing for a looter shooter.

Meifu

Ugh...

I really want to like this. But its so unpolished.

It feels pretty grindy, and the UI is so freaking bad

Like after a mission, you have an option to skip all, and it still brings you to the same screen where you have to skip again.

Last edited:

Owari

Dumb Origin doesn't add Anthem to my library after I entered the code for Anthem Demo Server Access (Multi-Platform)

Edit: Nevermind. You have to add the code then go to the Store Page and press "Try Now" ..For some stupid ass reason it doesn't just add the game you just typed a code for.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
So far impressions are not very positive. I knew the fact they only showed the PC version so far probably meant that the console versions were ass but I wasn't expecting that 20fps (if that) in the hub on PS4 Pro. I have yet to see real gameplay since it locks up while loading the mission. I hope they get their shit together before the open beta or else this game will bomb hard.

I've played every Bioware game since Mass Effect & I would absolutely expect framerate drops. This multiplayer online shared world stuff isn't even their forte, i.e. EA pushing Bioware into a Destiny-like game is like that insane time they made Visceral make a Battlefield game (aka practically the antithesis of a third person horror). We know how that sad story ended.

Would be useful.

The game is perfectly competent. The thing I just can't shake, when playing, is 'Why are Bioware making a looter shooter'?

It's not their strength. The gunplay, so far, is about a 7 out of 10. Sniper rifles are cool.

Now, if this was a single player RPG - holy shit, would be awesome. But it's not - it's a sort of nothingy framework for selling, I imagine, cosmetic microtransactions. Nothing especially wrong with that; but a waste of Bioware's talents.

Yep. Last gen we got 2 Dragon Age games (alright, the second was a criticized a bit) & 3 Mass Effect titles. What do we have this gen? Dragon Age Inquisition nearly 5 years ago, Mass Effect Andromeda which was a disastrous Mass Effect game (& a so-so science fiction shooter) & now Anthem, aka an obvious attempt to grab some Destinydivision shekels.

For some of us, it's a real disappointment.

The loot itself seems OK. Seems like decent complexity and room for individualized builds.

But the way loot drops and is identified just doesn't feel very exciting, and that's a pretty important thing for a looter shooter.

Well put. I think they could jazz up the looting aspects quite a bit

Also, does everyone get the same loot? Like is it all shares across the team?

zwiggelbig

Yea noticed that ad well. Destiny has more excitrment when loot drops..

Really interested in this game. Staying cautious due to EA, but hopeful BioWare can make something out of this.

Thanks for all the impressions. I don't pre-order anymore so sadly I can't try the demo and my friend gave all his keys away >_<

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
On top of this they also said it is going to be light on content at launch.

I wish we would stop paying for half baked games. Especially from massive corporations/publishers that should have the resources to not be doing this.

Last edited:

Pantz

Impressions (Xbox One X): Mixed

Game needs to go back in the oven. I'd feel better about it if it was coming out in the Fall.

Performance problems even on Xbox One X I think will be a big issue for reviewers, unless the full release fixes this somehow.

All that said, being free to fly around and shoot stuff is fun and I'm already feeling hints of addictive gameplay.

...I might be IN just for the dumb fun of flying around and shooting stuff.

Side Impression:

Crew cut hair styles seem to be VERY popular with the ladies of the future. Maybe the full game will have more hairstyles but in the demo 95% of the women have boy style haircuts. One of the NPC's you can talk to has a 2 inch ponytail and that's it.

On top of this they also said it is going to be light on content at launch.

I wish we would stop paying for half baked games. Especially from massive corporations/publishers that should have the resources to not be doing this.

This seems to be a theme in looter shooters, especially, and I don’t understand why

So have people noticed yet that you can enter the beta without an invitation/preorder?

I have neither EA premium bullshit nor a preorder or invite. Works just fine for me and my mates.

Or is that something we don't talk about?

Suck you in, then dripfeed the addiction.

Ahhh yes. Step up the morphine, as they say

So have people noticed yet that you can enter the beta without an invitation/preorder?

I have neither EA premium bullshit nor a preorder or invite. Works just fine for me and my mates.

Or is that something we don't talk about?

We do now.

(Just kidding, didn’t know this)

Last edited:
The voice acting seems pretty solid imo

The little conversations you have around town, I don’t know if they really matter, the choices don’t seem too weighty, but maybe this is just side fluff they are giving us. Like the bartender who wanted to be an actor, that seems like it exists just to exist, maybe gets a callback reference later in game.

I have to repeat that I’m pleased with the graphics and performance on my average gaming PC. The open world is kind of bland but still I think it’s a sharp looking game and feels great at 60fps

Can you create a new character? I’d like to try colossus and interceptor. Storm is awesome though I’m sure a nerf is already in the pipeline as everyone seems to be using storm.

Gunplay needs some more beef, and loot needs more excitement.

Haven’t found anyone on PC using mics. Feels lonely out there lol

I stick with my 7 score. It feels like a 7. I get it through my Premiere sub, if not I’d probably buy it at launch but would maybe wait for sale

I can’t really argue with the “soulless” critiques. It does feel like something is just missing

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
The combat feels like Mass Effect Andromeda.. That's fine, I guess? Besides that the demo didn't provide me with any good reasons to buy the game.

Last edited:
The voice acting seems pretty solid imo

The little conversations you have around town, I don’t know if they really matter, the choices don’t seem too weighty, but maybe this is just side fluff they are giving us. Like the bartender who wanted to be an actor, that seems like it exists just to exist, maybe gets a callback reference later in game.

I have to repeat that I’m pleased with the graphics and performance on my average gaming PC. The open world is kind of bland but still I think it’s a sharp looking game and feels great at 60fps

Can you create a new character? I’d like to try colossus and interceptor. Storm is awesome though I’m sure a nerf is already in the pipeline as everyone seems to be using storm.

Gunplay needs some more beef, and loot needs more excitement.

Haven’t found anyone on PC using mics. Feels lonely out there lol

I stick with my 7 score. It feels like a 7. I get it through my Premiere sub, if not I’d probably buy it at launch but would maybe wait for sale

I can’t really argue with the “soulless” critiques. It does feel like something is just missing

The game needs text chat. Launching w/o text chat on PC is hard to believe.

As for the new character, I don't think so, and progress carries over to the open demo.

It seems some people are creating new Origin accounts and using their own friend codes to get around this.

Ennosuke

They should have called it "Generic: The Videogame". Gameplay is boring, not reall the fun like the gunplay in Destiny delivers. The setting and atmosphere are bland, I am wondering if this is really the game Bioware developed so many years.

As for the new character, I don't think so, and progress carries over to the open demo.

It seems some people are creating new Origin accounts and using their own friend codes to get around this.

You chose Colossus, right? How you like it?

I have only seen Interceptor once, and Colossus a handful of times.

You chose Colossus, right? How you like it?

I have only seen Interceptor once, and Colossus a handful of times.

I like the Colossus a lot. They're streaming Colossus play on the AngryJoeShow btw.

I've seen a lot of Storms. Interceptor seems neat. The next one I'll try when I can, but I'm not making another account.

I don't mind the Ranger, but he does feel a bit on the weak side. Maybe stacking super cooldown makes him more powerful.

Agreed on test chat.

I feel like there’s fun teamwork to be had here, but without communication I feel like chaining combos is just random, just people spamming abilities , which is fine I guess.

Some sort of chat would be nice for the support abilities especially.

Meccs

The more I play, the less fun it gets somehow. It's probably the novelty wearing off. Even the flying is starting to feel bad because of the overheating mechanic that is completely nonsense when you fly from mission point to mission point. Since I have Premier I stopped playing the Demo because I don't see me playing this for long, so I want to keep it somewhat fresh for when it comes out.

Seriously, after the poor sales of BF5 and now Anthem looking more and more disappointing... what else does EA have in 2019? Titanfall 3, maybe? I think they are in "trouble".

Edit: the PC version is an afterthought, that is why there is no text chat, no optimization, terrible UI, clunky controls etc. I actually had to use a controller on PC because it plays so much better, especially navigating the world.

Last edited:
@ Meccs Meccs
I guess you're not good at flying,I can fly from Tarsis in a straight line till the end of the map that we have in the demo without dropping once,use the water stream,stay close to it

Last edited:
I’m getting way more lag today on PC. I’m sure the retail version is going to launch with server issues as all of these games do but hopefully they are at least a little better prepared

zwiggelbig

The more I play, the less fun it gets somehow. It's probably the novelty wearing off. Even the flying is starting to feel bad because of the overheating mechanic that is completely nonsense when you fly from mission point to mission point. Since I have Premier I stopped playing the Demo because I don't see me playing this for long, so I want to keep it somewhat fresh for when it comes out.

Seriously, after the poor sales of BF5 and now Anthem looking more and more disappointing... what else does EA have in 2019? Titanfall 3, maybe? I think they are in "trouble".

Edit: the PC version is an afterthought, that is why there is no text chat, no optimization, terrible UI, clunky controls etc. I actually had to use a controller on PC because it plays so much better, especially navigating the world.
Yes! The overheating was a horrible idea and makes it a lot less fun...

I had a bad time with this demo and to be honest I think it is piss poor.

The best way I can think to explain this game to any one is, Imagine it's Destiny but the gunplay is shit.

I'd link the bad time I had with it but I don't think self promotion is looked at to well on here?

Last edited:

Typhares

I finally got into the game but after getting in my jav and launching the first mission the loading bar stops at 95%. Tried a couple times too.
I'll try again tomorrow morning I guess.

Yeah. The overheating and status effects can be quite frustrating at times. I think a big part of the problem is that the combat feedback needs work.

Something can spawn behind you whisper silent and have your shields (Ranger) stripped by 25% or more before you're even aware of what's going on.

Or when mobs can freeze, you can actually get stun locked, and it's quite frustrating.

Typhares

Does anyone really like Ranger? I don’t see anyone singing it’s praises. Just feels boring to me

All I see are praises for the storm and a few for the Colossus too. Ranger really feels generic even before I had the chance to test it.

Top Bottom