• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Has Made over $100 Million in Digital Revenue

med_Anthem_40849940340_5b74b774d8_o.jpg

According to SuperData Research, BioWare's sci-fi looter shooter Anthem was able to make around $100 million just from digital revenue sales alone.

Despite having a mixed reception upon its release, it looks as though Anthem has done relatively well, with it achieving an above-average download rate. On top of that, the game has made $3.5 million from in-game purchases across both platforms since its release.

Anthem made more in a few weeks than Apex in a month. Looks like Bioware isn't going anywhere and the backlash was overblown.

I do think it might not have the best legs and will drop off in the winter around July or August, but I suspect it'll pick up steam during the summer once the holiday price cuts in Nov come in.

But it's clear this was no flop. Not to mention this is only digital revenue, with physical it's likely $200 million or more.

One thing about those hot November summer months, is that the humidity is very high because the atmospheres latency is too damn low!

Last edited:
med_Anthem_40849940340_5b74b774d8_o.jpg

Anthem made more in a few weeks than Apex in a month. Looks like Bioware isn't going anywhere and the backlash was overblown.

I do think it might not have the best legs and will drop off in the winter around July or August, but I suspect it'll pick up steam during the summer once the holiday price cuts in Nov come in.

But it's clear this was no flop. Not to mention this is only digital revenue, with physical it's likely $200 million or more.
Bloody Southern hemisphere dwellers with your ass backwards seasons!

OT, if they can keep a steady flow of content coming out then it could keep raking in the money.

McCheese

That's probably not even enough to cover the advertising bill, but at least it'll leave the electric on at Bioware HQ whilst they carry on finishing the game.

one was a AAA overhyped game. one was a surprise stealth announcement and release.

one spent a bajillion* on marketing. one spent 2 million.

it'll be the legs that dictate the winner though.

*relatively speaking

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm still interested, but I'm not buying it til they fix the load times and frame rate issue. Can't let them get away with that.

More looter shooters with flying? I'm interested.

But really, GAF just continues to underestimate this genre. The thirst is real.

Xiaoki

No, its a flop.

Or, at least, thats what people will keep saying until they believe.

The goal posts can be moved back as far they need to be.

zeorhymer

No, its a flop.

Or, at least, thats what people will keep saying until they believe.

The goal posts can be moved back as far they need to be.
Anthem is the top selling game in Feb, so it's not a flop. Is it the "10 year" game that EA thought they could print money with? Absolutely not.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
So what if the game is so shit that it will continue to drop players left and right. And if dlc content is crap as well then it will be dead in a couple months.

bati

Who are all these people that buy microtransactions in games that have a 60$ price tag? Does anyone know anyone like that? My circle of e-buddies is medium sized and none of them spend money on mtx in games like Anthem or The Division. F2P games, sure - I myself spent probably close to 500€ on Path of Exile but zero on any games that has an upfront price.

TeamGhobad

Banned
if its 100million in microtransactions alone, thats very impressive but the article seems a bit ambigious.

that being said, the game has been in full development for 6 years, i would say an easy 200million on just the development alone.

Arozay

I got a free copy with my video card but I haven't even touched it yet because of Capcom/From. Probably accounts for the above average download rate.

SO the game sold well and even made money from MTX,than how the hell do we expect things to change,less mtx and better game quality when people are spending on crap.

Who are all these people that buy microtransactions in games that have a 60$ price tag? Does anyone know anyone like that? My circle of e-buddies is medium sized and none of them spend money on mtx in games like Anthem or The Division. F2P games, sure - I myself spent probably close to 500€ on Path of Exile but zero on any games that has an upfront price.

I agree for the most part. Don't plan to spend any on Anthem. But I did buy the $15 Division 2 welcome package.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm glad it seems to be doing pretty well. It has some growing pains to overcome but I honestly think if Bioware can keep the content steady and give us some
dynamic free play experiences then it'll be o.k. Gonna log in later on the pc version. The grind to level 30 is something else. I'm mainly just repeatedly running
the two strongholds on hard to get loot and slowly work my way up to 30.

Xiaoki

the game has been in full development for 6 years, i would say an easy 200million on just the development alone.
That doesn’t even cover marketing.. ea’s goals are to make money off this project..not break even
That's like really not a lot? A million or so copies sold. I'd say that's pretty terrible results actually.
goalposts.jpg

"Yeah, move them back more. No, further back. Waaaaaaaay back"

I'm glad it seems to be doing pretty well. It has some growing pains to overcome but I honestly think if Bioware can keep the content steady and give us some
dynamic free play experiences then it'll be o.k. Gonna log in later on the pc version. The grind to level 30 is something else. I'm mainly just repeatedly running
the two strongholds on hard to get loot and slowly work my way up to 30.

If it does well enough to get a sequel then I would be very interested to see what that sequel delivers. The groundwork is there for a potentially stellar game. They just need a lot of content to add around the core experience.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Anthem made more in a few weeks than Apex in a month. Looks like Bioware isn't going anywhere and the backlash was overblown...
Sorry OP, but your interjections are false equivalencies and conjecture that doesn't line up with current market trends or what we know already. For example, Anthem was hyped to hell, and yet made only $100 on digital game sales, and only $3.5 million from in-game purchases. I doubt it's paid for its marketing yet, let alone its development. Comparing this with Apex Legends, who stealth launched with literally zero marketing, and its $0 in boxed sales and $92 million in in-game purchases alone, paints a very different picture of what both games both need most in order to be successful - player engagement. Apex Legends was made by a smaller team in less than two years, designed to get in on the Battle Royale trend while it was hot. Anthem was in development by a much bigger studio for six years, and designed to stick around for ten years. Based on this, its clear which of these two titles has achieved its goals. Anthem is already being called Bioware's worst game, and the least interesting loot shooter on the market. I doubt anyone at EA or Bioware are happy with Anthem, its performance, or its prospects right now. We know that Bioware, effectively, had everything riding on Anthem being a huge hit. Because its budget was never confirmed, and given AAA development and marketing cost trends, Anthem could still be a massive flop.

As for Anthem making an additional $100 million on physical sales, we already know that the breakdown isn't 50/50. In fact, its closer to 80/20 in favour of digital. So, right now Bioware are most likely at $123.5 million for their first month, and given the word of mouth, they're not going to sell more copies, and unhappy players don't buy a lot of micro-transactions. It likely cost double their first month's sales in development and marketing, and it now has monthly server costs and an-going development cost to account for. With The Division 2 sticking a near-perfect launch, Anthem has strong competition, and no major content or development overhauls until May at the earliest.

In my opinion OP, this article doesn't confirm that Anthem is a success despite a bad launch. It confirms that Anthem had a good marketing campaign, and is failing horribly. Bioware's fate all comes down to how much EA are prepare to sink to re-development the game from the ground up, and how much time they're prepared to give Bioware. Given EA's track history, and Apex Legend's current profits, I doubt Bioware have a long.

Last edited:

nowhat

Anthem is the top selling game in Feb, so it's not a flop. Is it the "10 year" game that EA thought they could print money with? Absolutely not.
Well, that other 10 year game (Destiny) didn't last a decade either - which is why we got Destiny 2 three years later. So expect "Anthem 2, Electric Boogaloo" in 2022.

Allandor

just played the ea access demo a moment ago. It crashed after the first mission in the menu. I did not really want to start it again.
it has potential but just makes no fun right now.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
If it does well enough to get a sequel then I would be very interested to see what that sequel delivers. The groundwork is there for a potentially stellar game. They just need a lot of content to add around the core experience.

Agreed. "Looter shooters" need TONS of content. Players blow through the story and missions like nothing and are always craving more. I'm like that with
Destiny 2. I'm hoping Bioware opens up more of the map area as playable areas/destinations.

Lanrutcon

What's "relatively well"? compared to? Is $100 million enough? what was it expected to make? What did it cost to develop? What did it cost to market? How much does it need to make the rest of the year? How are player numbers looking for the coming DLC? And so on and so forth.

It's a triple AAA game, so the publisher criteria for being a success is an essay, not a one-liner.

120v

you have to take yourself out of the bubble... it's a big game designed to make money beyond the initial $60/access purchase. did it set the world afire? no. did it get that 80+ MC score? no... but it did what it was supposed to do more or less

i personally don't care for it and i can't imagine why anybody would with Destiny 2 and Division 2 on the market but lots of people are, more power to them. and more power to EA and BW, it is what it is

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
People will buy anything with some flash and marketing behind it. Especially with these mp deals and their friends buying it, thus putting pressure on them to get it. Pretty sad.

kevin_trinh

some simple math: 100m/60 = ~1.66m copies sold in 1 month. DMC V sold 2m in 2 weeks, despite has less MKT and development cost.
Anthem
Success
Choose 1

Last edited:

wipeout364

100 million seems terrible for a game in development as long as this one. Wonder what it costs to run BioWare for a year? Don’t they have 600 or 700 employees? Game was in development since 2012. They will probably make their money back, but I am sure EA expected big things( like destiny big )from this game

some simple math: 100m/60 = ~1.66m copies sold in 1 month. DMC V sold 2m in 2 weeks, despite has less MKT and development cost.
Anthem
Success
Choose 1
Regional pricing and EA access makes 1.66 the lowest it could be at but not the highest. Subscription services like EA's and Microsoft really makes plain sales numbers somewhat meaningless for games that use them.

kevin_trinh

Regional pricing and EA access makes 1.66 the lowest it could be at but not the highest. Subscription services like EA's and Microsoft really makes plain sales numbers somewhat meaningless for games that use them.
Whatever it is, 100m revenue for an AAA game like this is really low. This article is just some dmg control from EA

ruvikx

Banned
Whatever it is, 100m revenue for an AAA game like this is really low. This article is just some dmg control from EA

I know it's not entire comparable (budgets, revenue share etc.); but when a blockbuster movie does $100 million in a month, kaboom, it's often considered a flop. Here's some more perspective with regards to how "well" (or not) Anthem is doing for a video game of its calibre & ambition, i.e. from a COD article dating back to 2010: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...odern-Warfare-2-takes-1-billion-in-sales.html

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 takes $1 billion in sales
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has become one of only a few entertainment franchises to take more than $1 billion (£625 million) in revenue.

The video game, which went on sale in November last year, made an estimated $550 million in its first five days. It has now sold around 15 million copies, making it one of the best-selling video games of all time.
It has surpassed the 14.4 million units of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare sold in 2007, previously the bestselling title in the hugely popular six-year-old Call of Duty military shooter series.
It also joins the ranks of other $1 billion titles such as Guitar Hero III and World of Warcraft, also owned by publisher Activision.
The figure also puts it alongside other entertainment franchises such as Avatar, the recent 3D science fiction blockbuster, which has become only the fifth film ever to gross more than $1 billion worldwide.
Ahead of it are Titanic ($1.8 billion; £1.1 billion), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($1.12 billion; £695 million) and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($1.07 billion; £664 million).

Top Bottom