• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem reviews are starting to drop [literally]

Stuart360

Reviews are still a big indicator and influencer for people, i think it's safe to say it won't do well. Andromeda being made by another team and being bad like 3 is not a good sign, if two teams can't make a good mass effect why try again when a lot of people have lost faith in the ME franchise
Well thats your opinion. I liked ME3 a lot, Andromeda sucked though.
As for Anthem, it depends whats classed as success. EA tend to have some pretty ridiculous sales expectations. I could see Anthem selling 5mil lifetime, which would be pretty good for a new franchise, but EA would almost certainly class that as underperforming.

Meted

Well thats your opinion. I liked ME3 a lot, Andromeda sucked though.
As for Anthem, it depends whats classed as success. EA tend to have some pretty ridiculous sales expectations. I could see Anthem selling 5mil lifetime, which would be pretty good for a new franchise, but EA would almost certainly class that as underperforming.
I didn't like ME3 but a lot of people who did like it up until the end class that game as bad just for how horribly the end to that series was. I don't think EA will support anthem long enough to make it into a game worthwhile

Stuart360

I didn't like ME3 but a lot of people who did like it up until the end class that game as bad just for how horribly the end to that series was. I don't think EA will support anthem long enough to make it into a game worthwhile
Oh the ending of ME3 sucked balls, but i'm not going to write off a 30 hour game because of the final hour.
We will see with Anthem, but i do remember a lot of people saying Destiny would fail as well.

The Shepard

I can't believe we've gone from one of the greatest games of all time, mass effect 2, to this. Go back to your roots next game bioware. I'd say start off by remastering the Mass effect Trilogy like the fans have being calling for years.

ruvikx

Banned
Oh the ending of ME3 sucked balls, but i'm not going to write off a 30 hour game because of the final hour.
We will see with Anthem, but i do remember a lot of people saying Destiny would fail as well.

I'm a huge fan of the Mass Effect series (even to the point I'm unfazed by the ending), but, I won't forget the aggressive DLC policy which started with ME2 whereby huge story elements & important characters central to the plot (a freaking Prothean as well) were locked behind an extra paywall. Without DLC, those games (ME2 & 3) are a lot shorter & barebones. The rot in terms of EA nickel & dimming players was evident back then, except it was masked by the excellent quality of the games themselves.

Zephir

Even though the reviews are low, it will sell a lot...marketing was too heavy for it to be ignored

But even if sales are low, as long as those few people buy a crapload of skins and stuff, they'll be happy...shareholders i mean

Gamers should just wait for the first expansion/goty edition, AKA "the real version of the game" if they want to try it

I'd say start off by remastering the Mass effect Trilogy like the fans have being calling for years.

EA will never allow that, its not something they can monetise. It will make money, but not all the money so not worth it for companies like EA/Activision.

Freeman76

It has issues but its fun at the core. These reviews are too early. Half of them cite loading times as an issue, which has been patched with super speed. Bioware are communicating with their fans and this game will come good. I'm not saying they shouldnt be held accountable for some of the issues it has, but people love a villain unfortunately, a lot of the reviews are just fucking stupid. Check Arrekz video if you want a sensible, well rounded summary.

The Shepard

EA will never allow that, its not something they can monetise. It will make money, but not all the money so not worth it for companies like EA/Activision.

There bringing out a new dragon age so there's some hope that ea will start listening to fans but i do sadly agree on what your saying. EA and Activision are the worst for it, there so money hungry that it's sucking the soul from there games.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
For how long has Bioware been working on this game? I mean... wow.

Luckily I have no problem playing older games and dealing with shitty controls (played an finished Extermination a few days back xD), otherwise I'd probably be depressed about gaming. As it is I'm actually watching this with amusement.

It has issues but its fun at the core. These reviews are too early. Half of them cite loading times as an issue, which has been patched with super speed. Bioware are communicating with their fans and this game will come good. I'm not saying they shouldnt be held accountable for some of the issues it has, but people love a villain unfortunately, a lot of the reviews are just fucking stupid. Check Arrekz video if you want a sensible, well rounded summary.
From what I know Arrekz was sponsored by Bioware,he was also invited to their studio for presentation and crap like that

Mista

Banned
Fuck those reviews. I’m really enjoying the game + the reviewing standards for GaaS should be different

Dthomp

Fuck those reviews. I’m really enjoying the game + the reviewing standards for GaaS should be different

Nice to see folks enjoying this. I am so on the fence on getting this. I didn't mind the demo/beta and like GaaS style grindy games, and the letdown of Destiny 2 with this annual pass has me super in need of a better time. I do understand that their roadmap seems really good and the game should keep improving.

Freeman76

From what I know Arrekz was sponsored by Bioware,he was also invited to their studio for presentation and crap like that

If you believe all that you believe it. Ive watched enough of his content to come to the conclusion he is a stand up dude with a similar outlook to me on games like MHW for example

mejin

After a great last month, february is a month to forget with the exception of the new Metro. Really hope march launches don't disappoint.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
How much of this do we reckon is related to their gradual wokening over the past decade?

I'd say in this case it's that an RPG dev is making a shooter. They were very good at RPGs, not so good at shooters.

Ovek

7Member7
The patch has definitely helped with load times on the PC. Still ran into the nasty sound bug. It cut out totally while doing a stronghold. Grrrrr.

A lot of people myself included ran in to this bug during the closed alpha and reported it on mass, why the hell is it still present in the release/day 1 patch?!

As for the reviews from what I’ve seen they are about what I expected.

Freeman76

I'd say in this case it's that an RPG dev is making a shooter. They were very good at RPGs, not so good at shooters.

You should play the Mass Effect games, the shooting mechanics got better and better in those, your post is just misinformed and straight up wrong.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You should play the Mass Effect games, the shooting mechanics got better and better in those, your post is just misinformed and straight up wrong.

Nope, pretty sure the shooting sucked. But I'm glad you feel qualified to tell me what I experienced.

This online multiplayer game seemed like a good idea to EA in a pre-Fortnite online multiplayer world. But now, it's dead. Because I think EA will very quickly switch focus to Apex Legends. I wouldnt invest any time into this game because of that.

I just know they'll pull the plug on this in a couple years.

No.

The pricing model/standards should be different for games as a service.

Full AAA price for an unfinished game is unacceptable and developers and publishers are rightly being held to account by the critics.

Last edited:
i'd speculate that the 'success' was because of bungie's brand name, and the franchise itself was the 'first' of all these GaaS's.
Warframe was the first and has been consistently both brilliant and well supported by consumers, just not to the same scale as Destiny.

Although arguably Warframe is a significantly better game done on a smaller budget with a tighter focus and understanding of what it’s actually trying to be.

zwiggelbig

Delusional with what? lol

Destiny at launch was a way better game Han Anthem... it is not even comparable.

What you see is all the big companies trying to create it own “Destiny” without touch a finger of what Bungie did.
I agree with u..

OpenCritic shows some additional reviews; score there is also in the 60s.

I’m not sure how to feel now. When Anthem was announced I was angry at EA forcing BioWare out of its wheelhouse. But at the same time, Andromeda was turning out to be…Andromeda.

I guess I don’t really feel anything.
The irony here is Andromeda was excused for being of lower quality than it needed to be because it made by Bioware’s B team, the narrative being the A team we’re hard at work on Anthem.

And yet as bad as Andromeda was out the gate, it eventually turned out to be a pretty decent game in its own right.

I’m not sure if it scored better than Anthem but if it did then EA will be seriously worried right now about quality of the studio outright.

VertigoOA

Banned
Andromeda was better than Dragon Age Inquisition. But it wasn’t bioware proper so... Time paradox?

Last edited:

Stuart360

I thought Andromeda was god awful, and thats coming from someone who loved the orig trilogy. Just god awful writing, characters, animation, and no good or bad angle. Just a boring mess.
Anyway Anthem is just reinforcing my decision to ignore reviews and buy what interests me. I mean if 50 reviews give a game 2/10, then chances are that gave is shit, but i'm enjoying Anthem so much and its not the first time recently that i have felt the opposite of reviews.

If you believe all that you believe it. Ive watched enough of his content to come to the conclusion he is a stand up dude with a similar outlook to me on games like MHW for example
It was a stream on twitch with a guy from IGN and talked about this,I for one don't follow his channel but I remembered that name ,actually I don't follow anyone when it comes to games,maybe expect ACG for reviews

Diddy X

I just know they'll pull the plug on this in a couple years.

I dare say that may take a matter of months depending of how bad it does, like you said, apex is where it's at, Destiny style games are out, it seems they started development when it was still 'in' but you see just how fast things change.

Also it seems like Anthem has suposed a triple A investment, big mistake by EA.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How? Destiny was also received a shit score and sales numbers were too disappointing for Activision to continue the support
I think you don’t remember but Destiny sales was actually record for a new IP and a juggernaut.

Despite of the flaws the game was well praised by reviews and gamers.

ethomaz

Banned
Liked Destiny, put in a ton of time, but LOL at this. The gameplay loop at launch was stand in front of a cave and fire bullets at a cave for 3 mins. Then, run and collect the shinies, and get back in place to start over. Boy some people forget what Destiny was like at launch. I don't even have time to tell you why I don't have time to explain how bad it was at launch.
It was incredible ;)

The campaign and VoG was probably one of the best gaming experience for a lot of gamers.

And to be fair I never did grind the magic cave that is only a way to reach purple gears... it was not even top purple gears that you could only get on VoG... in this case grind VoG was fabulous.

It was trully something else.

If Bungie can give us Destiny year 1 experience again in both PVE and PVP I will be there again day one but for what the did in D2 I have no desire to play.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I played the demo and was under the impression that it really was just not fun to play, I really did not enjoy it. I blamed myself because an old bloke like me probably doesn't know whats good and hip today. Glad that it seems as if I was wrong and the game is not very good after all. Bioware really lost all the magic they once had. It would be no loss if they would seize to exist.

It absolutely should have its own review thread. For those who want to enjoy Anthem for what it is, they should be able to enjoy talking about the game without pages of people laughing at how Gamespot gave it a 6.

This not being the OT for Anthem, though, can you believe Gamespot gave this a 6! Woah. BioWare, what are you doing? "Add loot and co-op to Mass Effect." How hard would that have been? Why did you ignore the storytelling that people buy your games for? Why did you give us this bland universe with no characters to talk to, outside of one little area? Why did you create a game world with so little variety? This is just sad.

Excellent.

VertigoOA

Banned
I thought Andromeda was god awful, and thats coming from someone who loved the orig trilogy. Just god awful writing, characters, animation, and no good or bad angle. Just a boring mess.
Anyway Anthem is just reinforcing my decision to ignore reviews and buy what interests me. I mean if 50 reviews give a game 2/10, then chances are that gave is shit, but i'm enjoying Anthem so much and its not the first time recently that i have felt the opposite of reviews.

It played better than all of them tho. Had dungeons. Meanwhile dragon age played horribly.

Bad animation is more like bioware being consistent in recycling their assets. A lot of these enemies just seem like mass effect reskins. If it wasn’t for the flight you could easily mistake anthem as andromeda.

Having review threads, OT threads, etc... a waste. Concentrate the discussion into one thread of people actually playing. A good way of filtering out the drive by. We want actual impressions eh?

Looking forward to the PS4 launch. I’m hoping it is at least good for two weeks like aztecross said because jokers Wild is coming. And after two-manning the shattered throne dungeon last night in D2... took like two hours but had an awesome, intense time.

You can say that they’re loot games and all the same but that’s not true. There’s a huge difference between first and third person games for me when it comes to appeal. Different skill sets. I won’t be as worried or able to land repeated headshots in anthem...

Destin from ign said it best when he said something along the lines of “does it feel good to shoot bad guys in the face?”

Last edited:

M0G

I stopped considering Bioware being Bioware after Inquisition and to an extent DA2 and set my expectations accordingly. I happen to love old Bioware and enjoy loot shooters for their ability to let me enjoy it in short burst or marathons. I definitely didn't want a Bioware loot shooter (when they can't dedicate themselves to what they're known for) and yet I decided to pre-order after the playtest in December. The deal then sweetened when my Shopto pre-order went down to £32. So maybe my opinion is swayed by that, but hell I'm actually quite enjoying it.

I've only got as far the freelancer hooking up with his old buddies but the story doesn't seem that bad... or is the disapointment yet to come? There's plenty of talky shit around the fort but not so much that it becomes excessive dribble? Maybe I prioritise my time spent differently these days but I was sick of the amount of talking in recent Bioware games. You feel obliged to listen to all of it because you don't want to miss anything interesting or important but a lot of it in Andromeda & Inquisition at least, just didn't need to be there and probably distracted from developing a better actual game. With this at least it feels more concise and blends well enough with the loot shooter genre. It's definetely better than engaging with the manikins of Destiny.

The javelins feel more diverse than the guardians although it does feel like you're effectively locked out of proper appearance customisation and loot. I've got no intention of buyin anything from a store sorry, I like earning my gear and seeing what luck brings. A subscription option may not be massively popular but I'd possibly pay £8 a month to restore a traditional loot system for cosmetics that has drop rates proportionate to the weaponry etc. Either that or seasons passes etc, Destiny seems to have the edge when it comes to not forcing you to use their store.

Gunplay seems fine but again isn't up to Destiny's but Bungie's always been great for that. For me they're already losing points no matter what for going third person. There's been a lot of waiting around for objectives to update and several times in the beta and live games they just didn't update at all and required a restart. That's shit and should have been sorted before release... why is and isn't now I guess. Technically premium players have already paid for the game so yes EA the game is already released and this isn't acceptable!

That's me thinking out loud. I'm looking forward to going home tonight and trying the first stronghold and yeah I suppose that may be where things go down hill if they're not special. That's the juice of games like this for a lot of people. I am currently enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I did Andromeda or Inquisition and taking it for what it is and not what Bioware are known for. EA make Bioware games now and I feel the time for being disapointed that Bioware isn't Bioware anymore has passed. If you want a true Bioware game we can get those elsewhere.

Hudo

Even if Anthem flopped (and its not going to, no matter hiw much some people want it to), i doubt EA would close Bioware. Bioware are still a big name in the business, much bigger than the other studios EA has closed down. I'm sure EA hasn't given up on Mass Effect and Dragon Age yet either.
Also this is the first loot shooter kind of game Bioware have done, i'm sure they will be given time to improve it.
Westwood might not have been as big of a name as Bioware (But they were still kinda known back in the day!) but they sure as hell have the biggest spot in my heart...

Last edited:
It's not that story is necessarily bad. It's competent but just banal for the most part.

Having to "waste" 10+ minutes walking around Tarsis listening to people talk about custodial concerns, missing sons, yada, yada, yada... It drives you crazy.

The overarching sci-fi story is fine. There even seems like perhaps a cool Stargate element, and there's even (what I think is) a dormant gate in the freeplay area.

Destiny uses the overarching story and lore for these really cool moments, but Anthem never really manages to do that.

VertigoOA

Banned
No.

The pricing model/standards should be different for games as a service.

Full AAA price for an unfinished game is unacceptable and developers and publishers are rightly being held to account by the critics.

It is different. You’re not paying for new content...

M0G

It's not that story is necessarily bad. It's competent but just banal for the most part.

Having to "waste" 10+ minutes walking around Tarsis listening to people talk about custodial concerns, missing sons, yada, yada, yada... It drives you crazy.

The overarching sci-fi story is fine. There even seems like perhaps a cool Stargate element, and there's even (what I think is) a dormant gate in the freeplay area.

Destiny uses the overarching story and lore for these really cool moments, but Anthem never really manages to do that.

Yeah the world seems to be full of "wtf is that" ruins and artifacts etc. It would be sad if a lot of it doesn't have a story behind it but then they'll just say that's the canvas for their ten year plan etc. I guess a stargate would be an obvious mechanic to give us additional DLC areas etc.

Last edited:

nowhat

So BioWare set out to do the "Bob Dylan of video games". That's a stupid mission, but that's what this was initially called. "Project Dylan".

Instead, we ended up with Bob Hope of video games. So... 50% there, right?

Top Bottom