• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem reviews are starting to drop [literally]

Diddy X

Why not release a good game that people won't shit over it?

That sounds right... :unsure:

Making a better game is the best they could do in response to the bad reviews, the root of all this is EA making a bad game but even then, should they keep supporting negative reviewers? yes, maybe? but maybe they are just not very confident on their next games doing much better so they thought the keep supporting reviewers at all costs and see how we redeem ourselves with our next game story wouldn't have a happy ending for them.

tl;dr EA is preparing for posible new shitstorms coming in the next years, they are THAT confident in their current developments.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That sounds right... :unsure:

Making a better game is the best they could do in response to the bad reviews, the root of all this is EA making a bad game but even then, should they keep supporting negative reviewers? yes, maybe? but also, maybe they are not very confident on their next games doing much better so they thought the keep supporting reviewers at all costs and see how we redeem ourselves with our next game story wouldn't have a happy ending for them.
I mean the practice of send a game copy to reviewers before the release is to have the reviews out before the release.
So EA is not doing something good to the reviewers at all... it is the best interest for EA to have the reviews out before the game releases.

Now said that should a gaming reviewer give a less critic article because he received a copy from EA? Or should he be honest to any review no matter what he receives from EA?

What EA wants is crime... blackmail.

ethomaz

Banned
Absolutely not, are you kidding?
Wut?

Every Publishers wants the reviews out before the game launch to increase the sales and word of mouth.

Of course no Publisher didn't expect the reviews to be bad lol... Publishers that didn't send their games before launch to be reviewed are afraid the game is not good.

That is why Publishers sent reviewer copies... or CPU/GPU manufactores sent CPU/GPUs... all companies send their products to reviewers be out before the launch.

PS. I was a GPU reviewer 10 years ago and I received GPUs before launch.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Nah, they'll just move all of bioware to be a cog in the apex dlc content creation machine. They will become like the many cod support teams at activision.

Psykodad

Banned
Wut?

Every Publishers wants the reviews out before the game launch to increase the sales and word of mouth.

Of course no Publisher didn't expect the reviews to be bad lol... Publishers that didn't send their games before launch to be reviewed are afraid the game is not good.

That is why Publishers sent reviewer copies... or CPU/GPU manufactores sent CPU/GPUs... all companies send their products to reviewers be out before the launch.

PS. I was a GPU reviewer 10 years ago and I received GPUs before launch.

Lol you really believe the lack of reviews for Anthem wasn't planned by EA?

They were fully aware that this shitstorm was coming and they've been trying to keep it quiet as long as possible to get as much money as they can before sales drop.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

They were fully aware that this shitstorm was coming and they've been trying to keep it quiet as long as possible to get as much money as they can before sales drop.
100%. It’s the same reason that shitty movies don’t do early screenings for reviewers. When there’s a movie with no reviews on Rotten Tomatoes before opening day there’s roughly a 100% chance it’ll be rotten.

ethomaz

Banned

I believe that...

But I'm saying the purpose of reviewers receive the game early is to write artices before to generate interested to gamers buy it at launch... it is not to force reviewers to write only "good" things about the game.

Of course that practice to force reviewers to write what they want exists that why I wrote "shame EA"... it is blackmail.

100%. It’s the same reason that shitty movies don’t do early screenings for reviewers. When there’s a movie with no reviews on Rotten Tomatoes before opening day there’s roughly a 100% chance it’ll be rotten.
EA knows the game won't pass as "good" by critics... now they are doing everything to shut them lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How was EA ever going to have the reviews out before the game released even if they wanted to?
Reviewers usually can play games way before launch... even the online ones because there are servers up just for that.

That is how articles are up way before the game releases.

BTW the game released in Feb 15 for Premium users.

Last edited:
Reviewers usually can play games way before launch... even the online ones because there are servers up just for that.

That is how articles are up way before the game releases.

BTW the game released in Feb 15 for Premium users.

Yeah. But having a selection of game journalists is not the same as having the entire population.

Wasn't it the same with Destiny and the Division? Pretty sure it was.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah. But having a selection of game journalists is not the same as having the entire population.

Wasn't it the same with Destiny and the Division? Pretty sure it was.
What do you mean? Both were playable by reviewers before launch... some reviewers choose to hold the review or updated it after see how the servers worked with big population.

But most reviews were out before day 1.

They didn’t even waited VoG release.

That selection list is just for that... to receive a review copy to write an article of the game before release.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Both were playable by reviewers before launch... some reviewers choose to hold the review or updated it after see how the servers worked with big population.

But most reviews were out before day 1.

They didn’t even waited VoG release.

That selection list is just for that... to receive a review copy to write an article of the game before release.

Maybe my memory is wrong, but... let's use Kotaku as an example...

Destiny 1 release Sep 9 review Sep 22

Division 1 release Mar 8 review Mar 22

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe my memory is wrong, but... let's use Kotaku as an example...

Destiny 1 release Sep 9 review Sep 22

Division 1 release Mar 8 review Mar 22
Destiny review embargo ended Sep 9.
Division review embargo ended Mar 8.

I’m not sure what are you saying? Games have a date when you can put the reviews online.

Do you think reviewed go buy their copy to after review the game? No. They are in a privileged list to receive the game before release.

EA removed the guy from that list because his review have criticisms about their game.

Last edited:
Destiny review embargo ended Sep 9.
Division review embargo ended Mar 8.

I’m not sure what are you saying? Games have a date when you can put the reviews online.

Do you think reviewed go buy their copy to after review the game? No. They are in a privileged list to receive the game before release.

EA removed the guy from that list because his review have criticisms about their game.

I'm not sure if there's a language barrier here or if you're being intentionally obtuse...

But embargos don't really matter for games like Destiny.

Reviewers require access to the live game in order to do a review that's worthwhile to anyone.

manfestival

riddle me this GAF, I am getting a 2080 and it comes with an Anthem key. Is it worth keeping or should I just resell it? I don't want to eventually buy it when I could have just... kept my key

Mass Effect Andromeda will end up reviewing better than Anthem. That is flippin' madness and I would have lost that bet.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

riddle me this GAF, I am getting a 2080 and it comes with an Anthem key. Is it worth keeping or should I just resell it? I don't want to eventually buy it when I could have just... kept my key
If it's like the free Anthem & VF V keys I got with a new laptop, the codes expire end of March.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well i'm loving the game, and i find its actually getting better the further i get into it.
If you check my post history, you will see i gave Anthem nothing but shit the past year or so, the difference being now though is that i'm actually PLAYING the game.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not sure if there's a language barrier here or if you're being intentionally obtuse...

But embargos don't really matter for games like Destiny.

Reviewers require access to the live game in order to do a review that's worthwhile to anyone.
That is not necessarily true... you can have servers up just for reviewers before the launch... it already happened a lot of times.

I’m not sure what your point since the beginning.

If you want I can go depth like review events where Publishers give a party to reviewers from that list to play the game in during that event and write the review... the Piblisher setup a server only to reviewers use it at that event.

Last edited:

Moneal

That is not necessarily true... you can have servers up just for reviewers before the launch... it already happened a lot of times.

I’m not sure what your point since the beginning.
I think their point was that if they were playing on servers that weren't the Live servers at launch, they wouldn't be getting the experience that a launch player would. They would have a much lower level of player population, which in turn would have an affect on their experience. They might not experience server issues that launch players would either. Odd that in the past quite a few publications held off on their reviews till they could play launch, like IGN that waited 10 days after release to put out their review of Destiny.

ethomaz

Banned
I think their point was that if they were playing on servers that weren't the Live servers at launch, they wouldn't be getting the experience that a launch player would. They would have a much lower level of player population, which in turn would have an affect on their experience. They might not experience server issues that launch players would either. Odd that in the past quite a few publications held off on their reviews till they could play launch, like IGN that waited 10 days after release to put out their review of Destiny.
Hummm I understand now but what that has with what I said about the reviewer getting blacklisted to receive review copy of games because he wrote a review that EA didn’t like?

I’m not getting the point... I even said the same than you that some reviewers wait but populations to release the review or do a WIP.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I’d keep it. My guess is that, more likely than not, Anthem will be a good game someday.

There is some fun to be had with Anthem as is. Play until you feel bored, then drop it until they release some more content and improvements.

IMO

Moneal

Hummm I understand now but what that has with what I said about the reviewer getting blacklisted to receive review copy of games becuase he wrote a review that EA didn’t like?
I posted this in the thread about that, but has that reviewer posted any proof that EA did what he says? Don't take that question as me not believing that EA isn't shady enough do something like that, I definitely believe they are. Just that claims like that require proof for me to believe them, no matter the company.

Neolombax

Is this sometime of revisionist history?

I get you didn’t like Destiny but it never launched in a pathetic state... it has sublime gameplay, good SP content (more and diverse content than Destiny 2 for example), good PVP, amazing raid... all that at launch.

Reviewers removed points from Destiny’s story telling and because the lives Grimoire was not ingame... if that two flaws didn’t happened you are looking at a solid 9 launch with Destiny.

Destiny state was nowhere Division or Anthem states at launch... it was a solid solid launch.

People like to trash Bungie and they deserves for a lot of decision but they create a game really ahead it time... they deserve the credits for what even big Publishers are having trouble to delivery similar experience.

More time pass more I appreciate what Bungie created with Destiny in 2014 including PS360 limitations holding it back.

First of all, I love Destiny. Not sure what part of my post implied I hated Destiny but lets be honest, vanilla Destiny was weak. The only strong gameplay point for vanilla Destiny was Vault of Glass. Strikes became repetitive with no real incentive to grind them, the loot pool was arguably small, the singleplayer story was confusing and derivative. Also the raid wasnt available at launch, it came a week after. Even if the grimoire was in game, it wouldve still reviewed poorly because those are just side stories. Any launch day player will atest to this, vanilla Destiny was a weak game. I stayed on because I loved the universe and that loyalty eventually paid off.

If it wasnt for the hate and criticism Bungie got all these years, Forsaken wouldnt have been as great as it is now.

Neolombax

Destiny & Division both sold really well and received favorable Metacritic scores.

Anthem is getting destroyed by critics and Youtubers,.

My point still stands though, scores dont mean a thing. Its the community that matters. Youtubers make only a small portion of the community.

I'll wait for a month or two before I pass judgement on Anthem. Personally I feel its alright now, an average looter shooter, but I would like to see how this game evolves with time. I feel it has potential.

ethomaz

Banned
First of all, I love Destiny. Not sure what part of my post implied I hated Destiny but lets be honest, vanilla Destiny was weak. The only strong gameplay point for vanilla Destiny was Vault of Glass. Strikes became repetitive with no real incentive to grind them, the loot pool was arguably small, the singleplayer story was confusing and derivative. Also the raid wasnt available at launch, it came a week after. Even if the grimoire was in game, it wouldve still reviewed poorly because those are just side stories. Any launch day player will atest to this, vanilla Destiny was a weak game. I stayed on because I loved the universe and that loyalty eventually paid off.

If it wasnt for the hate and criticism Bungie got all these years, Forsaken wouldnt have been as great as it is now.
Destiny Raid only open after a week to give players time to reach required level but they are considered launch content.

I will agree to disagree because:

- Destiny Y1 and vanilla had the best loot pool the game have.
- Destiny Y1 had the best PVP.
- Destiny vanilla had the best raid.
- Destiny Y1 and vanilla had the best weapons.
- Destiny Y1 and vanilla had the best Nightfall design.

Story telling was bad but everything else was top tier in the first year that is basically vanilla plus more content.

The biggest criticism about Destiny vanilla were story telling and Grimoire not ingame... everything else was praised because it was really an wonderful experience.... end-game content was strong.

Forsaken is a good example of how they are trying to back to vanilla experience after failed with what they though was good after TTK... TTK was an expansion that only worked for few weeks because it was a step forward but two backward... D2 is what TTK made Bungie believe it was good.

Destiny Year 1 still holds the best Destiny experience.

Last edited:

kbear

Goddamn I love this game. I’m stunned it’s got a 60 Meta. The visuals are so insane (playing it on Xbox X) that I feel like that should be 4 or 5 points right off the bat. I’m blown away at how good this game looks. Lighting, textures, character models, motion capture, overall IQ, and jesus christ the particle effects. It’s a technical marvel. The graphics are so good that it makes me want to get back into PC gaming just to see the game at max.

ethomaz

Banned
Goddamn I love this game. I’m stunned it’s got a 60 Meta. The visuals are so insane (playing it on Xbox X) that I feel like that should be 4 or 5 points right off the bat. I’m blown away at how good this game looks. Lighting, textures, character models, motion capture, overall IQ, and jesus christ the particle effects. It’s a technical marvel. The graphics are so good that it makes me want to get back into PC gaming just to see the game at max.
Maybe that why it didn’t run well in any hardware...

Graphics are not achievements if your performace is shit.

Last edited:

kbear

Oh and yeah the gameplay is fun. 😆 The guns and abilities feels really satisfying and flying around feels great.

I’ve read about how the first 10-15 hours are amazing and then it drops off when you hit the end game, which is fine with me if they can deliver new content and patches regularly.

I seriously think the reviews were way, WAY too harsh. 6/10? Get tf outta here, that’s ridiculous.

kbear

Maybe that why it didn’t run well in any hardware...

Graphics are not achievements if your performace is shit.

Yeah, probably. On the X, there’s a lot of noticeable drops when those stunning particle effects and explosions are everywhere, which is pretty much every combat encounter because there’s 4 people going berserk (every mission has automatic matchmaking).

Last edited:

Stuart360

Kabby on Mixer, someone who does not do sponsored streams/reviews, hates Destiny, and is not afraid to rip a game a new arsehole, he loves the game. He's already completed the story and is into the endgame.

kbear

Kabby on Mixer, someone who does not do sponsored streams/reviews, hates Destiny, and is not afraid to rip a game a new arsehole, he loves the game. He's already completed the story and is into the endgame.

Has he given any impressions about the end game yet?

Unrelated but I love how you don’t have to create and gear up a whole new character just to play the other classes like with Destiny.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Has he given any impressions about the end game yet?

Unrelated but I love how you don’t have to create and gear up a whole new character just to play the other classes like with Destiny.
Well i'm watching in the background and the missions seem to be a lot bigger and longer, there are new enemies and loot. Some of the reviews also said the endgame content is better than the standard game content.

kbear

Well i'm watching in the background and the missions seem to be a lot bigger and longer, there are new enemies and loot. Some of the reviews also said the endgame content is better than the standard game content.

Damn that’s nice to hear. I haven’t read anything positive about the endgame yet so yeah I hope that’s true.

manfestival

I’d keep it. My guess is that, more likely than not, Anthem will be a good game someday.

There is some fun to be had with Anthem as is. Play until you feel bored, then drop it until they release some more content and improvements.

IMO
That actually sounds pretty reasonable

Top Bottom