• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Mackie: Civil War best yet - Best Picture Oscar Aspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODDI

I'm sure if Civil War has:

- Suicide
- Staring out a window while it rains
- A physical disability
- Scenes with shouting and crying
- Provocative religious imagery
- Scenes about movie making
- Addiction
- Suspenseful piano music

Then it has a shot.

It probably has only two of these.

Don't forget about dem tits.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm sure Captain America could scrounge some up

Real talk though, I'm actually not a superhero fan at all, so when I heard of Captain America: Civil War, my first idea of what it was was that Captain America and Iron Man travel back in time to the Civil War. Which made it really awkward because I'd also saw a snippet that they'd be fighting each other in it which would have meant (in my wrong scenario) that one of them thought that the Confederacy had some good ideas
You're actually right. Iron Man is the Confederate and everyone who supports him is a racist.

Speevy

Banned
I think any movie in which someone can land from 100 feet in the air and bounce off a car, get up, and take 1,000 bullets will probably never win.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Best Picture Oscar.... Even Dark Knight did not crack it and he thinks this will. Lol

The movie seems to have a pretty wide diversity of white people, so it may actually have a chance.
there's a couple of black people so it will still be an uphill battle depending on how many scenes they get. Also the addition of the BLACK panther doesn't help their case.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
TDK didn't get a nom. No cbm will anytime soon.

Still excited, first Deadpool, BvS next, followed by Civil War and then Suicide Squad? I love 2016 already.

Yup!

giphy.gif

Although you forgot Apocalypse.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I just want the AoU taste out of my mouth. Ant-man helped, but how such an awfully scripted marvel movie got filmed I'll never know. Help me Cap!

Dalek

I'm sure if Civil War has:

- Suicide
- Staring out a window while it rains
- A physical disability
- Scenes with shouting and crying
- Provocative religious imagery
- Scenes about movie making
- Addiction
- Suspenseful piano music

Then it has a shot.

It probably has only two of these.

Best post ever.

generic_username

TDK didn't deserve it either :p

Yeah but the absolute riveting masterpiece known as Slumdog millionaire surely did :p

The nominations were trash

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Welcome to the Oscar-era of superhero movies. Our movies about musclemen from the funnybooks can finally be legitimized once they win the same award given to cinematic masterpieces like Crash and Shakespeare in Love.
The movie seems to have a pretty wide diversity of white people, so it may actually have a chance.
there's a couple of black people so it will still be an uphill battle depending on how many scenes they get. Also the addition of the BLACK panther doesn't help their case.
200.gif

Dunno about a Best Picture nom, but I loved Winter Soldier. It's the only film in the MCU so far that didn't just feel like an entertaining, but ultimately forgettable comic book film to me. So, I'm hoping this one is even better.

lol for real. I like a lot of Marvel movies but so many fans have absolutely no sense of perspective.

Is it really that hard to imagine in an Oscar season where Fury Road is a Best Picture nominee? Or in an awards ceremony where a film like Avatar has been a Best Picture nom? Winter Soldier was easily a better film than the latter, IMO.

I'll tell you it sucked... 'Winter Soldier' and 'Iron Man 1' are probably Marvel's two best movies
Wait, he meant Iron Man 2 right? I'm pretty sure he misspoke or got misquoted here. No way is he talking about the movie that ended with CG Jeff Bridges -_-

... only decent movie with GC Jeff bridges in it was Tron: Legacy >.>

In what world is Iron Man 2 better than the first?

In mine clearly, that ending left a bad, bad taste in my mouth.

Wait, he meant Iron Man 2 right? I'm pretty sure he misspoke or got misquoted here. No way is he talking about the movie that ended with CG Jeff Bridges -_-

... only decent movie with GC Jeff bridges in it was Tron: Legacy >.>
In what world is Iron Man 2 better than the first?

Dunno about a Best Picture nom, but I loved Winter Soldier. It's the only film in the MCU so far that didn't just feel like an entertaining, but ultimately forgettable comic book film to me. So, I'm hoping this one is even better.

Is it really that hard to imagine in an Oscar season where Fury Road is a Best Picture nominee? Or in an awards ceremony where a film like Avatar has been a Best Picture nom? Winter Soldier was easily a better film than the latter, IMO.

Winter Soldier was pretty damn cookie cutter. It was a really good comic book action movie, but people act like it was fucking transcendent. I didn't think Avatar was anything all that special, but there is no comparison in terms of Fury Road versus Winter Soldier, which still feels like the Disney assembly line crapped it out and had the Russos fill in the blanks, which, to their credit, Disney is really, really good at.

wildfire

Banned
TDK didn't deserve it either :p

No but Heath Ledger deserved an actor nom.

The way this Mackie talks about civil war it lives and dies by the acting performances.

This wouldn't surprise me because I find some of the alliances questionable.

The actors need to sell it for the story to really hit the right notes.

Winter Soldier was pretty damn cookie cutter. It was a really good comic book action movie, but people act like it was fucking transcendent. I didn't think Avatar was anything all that special, but there is no comparison in terms of Fury Road versus Winter Soldier, which still feels like the Disney assembly line crapped it out and had the Russos fill in the blanks, which, to their credit, Disney is really, really good at.
I get that Fury Road is really well made, but it really didn't do much for me. Then again, I've never been huge into car stunts or cars in general.

If Winter Soldier was cookie cutter, what does that make the vast majority of other MCU offerings? Not saying your opinion is wrong (opinions, and all that), but I'm generally indifferent to most of the comic book film offerings that come out I was surprisingly pleased with how relatively grounded WS was with the story that it told.

That being said, I wouldn't say it's better than Fury Road. But at the same time, as much as I loved Fury Road, it was a film which was more action than story. The thing that separates it from the bunch of other more-action-than-story films was that its action was excellently done and different in tone than any other action film that came out last year. If Fury Road 2 came out next year and it was like FR1, but slightly better, it still wouldn't get a Best Picture nom that year because it wouldn't be considered as novel.

Again, Civil War likely won't get a Best Pic nom. I'm just saying that there've been plenty of worse films to have gotten one before, so let's not all act like Mackie is saying something that absolutely couldn't happen. Especially if the Russos knock it out of the park.

If Winter Soldier was cookie cutter, what does that make the vast majority of other MCU offerings? Not saying your opinion is wrong (opinions, and all that), but I'm generally indifferent to most of the comic book film offerings that come out I was surprisingly pleased with how relatively grounded WS was with the story that it told.

That being said, I wouldn't say it's better than Fury Road. But at the same time, as much as I loved Fury Road, it was a film which was more action than story. The thing that separates it from the bunch of other more-action-than-story films was that its action was excellently done and different in tone than any other action film that came out last year. If Fury Road 2 came out next year and it was like FR1, but slightly better, it still wouldn't get a Best Picture nom that year because it wouldn't be considered as novel.

Again, Civil War likely won't get a Best Pic nom. I'm just saying that there've been plenty of worse films to have gotten one before, so let's not all act like Mackie is saying something that absolutely couldn't happen. Especially if the Russos knock it out of the park.

I think all of the MCU offerings are fairly cookie cutter, and I think that's how Marvel wants it. And to their credit, I think Disney is fucking amazing at it with regards to the Marvel/Star Wars IPs. I thought Winter Soldier was good, but it was pretty much par for the course. MCU clearly has a formula and they are sticking to it. I don't even really mean any of this as an insult, because I enjoy most of the MCU movies (Thor is crap tho) but to me the MCU is like that fat dude that used to pump out boy bands in the 90s. He had his formula, he made hits and lots of money, and he knew exactly what his audience wanted, and there is something to be said for that, but you were never going to expect him to stray to far from his formula.

I think all of the MCU offerings are fairly cookie cutter, and I think that's how Marvel wants it. And to their credit, I think Disney is fucking amazing at it with regards to the Marvel/Star Wars IPs. I thought Winter Soldier was good, but it was pretty much par for the course. MCU clearly has a formula and they are sticking to it. I don't even really mean any of this as an insult, because I enjoy most of the MCU movies (Thor is crap tho) but to me the MCU is like that fat dude that used to pump out boy bands in the 90s. He had his formula, he made hits and lots of money, and he knew exactly what his audience wanted, and there is something to be said for that, but you were never going to expect him to stray to far from his formula.

Yeah, I agree with you. I think WS did the best out of the MCU offerings so far in terms of playing with what limited latitude the studio probably gave them. I don't expect CW to be transformative, but I'll be let down if it doesn't reach the higher end of the quality spectrum.

Hey man, I don't necessarily disagree, but I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Iron Man 3 was being pitched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom