• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthropomorphic animals in games | Does it influence your buying decision?

Shengar

Also to answer the thread's main question, it depends on the intent. Fanbase and 'fetish'shit and whatever other shit tons of popular media will always get made of it on the internet aside, it's pretty obvious Sonic/Star Fox/Pokemon/whatever were designed with the intent to be fun and engaging characters for a wide audience.
Yeah, it's all depending on the intent and purpose of the design. This is apply almost to all thing. Different intent could turn "children character" to "loli/shota". It isn't really hard to spot such intent in design really if you have keen interest on it.
You can do so much more with having anthromorphic characters. I think that was Noogy's reasoning for Dust AET.

Like having the most realistic blood decals system in a game look not that gross but actually kind of funny.
iTULyk9WLRyk4.gif

ROFLMAO

Village

^ Actually, are there any dating-sim type games with anthro characters? That seems like an underserved market where an enterprising developer could make a lot of money.

Well Sega did just buy atlus....

Persona: Shadow and some crazy mess.

I would have said sonic, but sonic not moody or have enough patience for people to be a persona protagonist, and is unwilling to use weapons.

Probably none, to be honest. I can't think of a game I've played where it's ever been an issue.

I think I kinda lost sight of what I was trying to say, but what I described above was simply my thoughts on what would and wouldn't bother me (based more on fandom interactions rather than actual legit media).

I get what you are saying I think. Just stay out of fan circles, I know you like colored horses. So you should already know to stay out them circles dude.

\
For an example of #2, see any 3D Sonic game where Shadow was a main playable character. Government weapon conspiracies, dead little girls, and the scientists who went insane because of them simply don't work when they're described by woodland creatures with shoes and gloves.
Village to argue in 3... 2... 1...

Its true , sonic lore is fucking nuts, that is why I like it though. Shadow OP as shit.
I am not gonna pretend that game was good, a lotta potential though. Sold it wrong, half assed the game play. Sonic with combat, not a bad idea, half assesed sonic combat incorporated in speed game play terrible idea.

However Death and crazy governments should not turn you off crazy talking animal media, there is a lot of good crazy talking animal media that would miss that way.

I strongly dislike this kind of characters, though it got nothing to do with furries. Never liked them even as a kid. I don't mind animals that can talk, but anthopormorphic animals... ugh.

Out of curiosity, where would you draw the line? The characters in Kung Fu Panda are anthropomorphic, but highly stylized. The mice in American Tail are technically just normal mice, but walk on two legs and use their paws as hands. What about werewolves?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I usually avoid games with blatantly pandering designs. Aesthetically speaking, I'm simply not target audience and it gets harder to care.

PaulloDEC

I get what you are saying I think. Just stay out of fan circles, I know you like colored horses. So you should already know to stay out them circles dude.

I've got a pretty good feel now for which places are and aren't safe, thankfully.

Also, "I know you like colored horses" is a pretty funny phrase. If you read it in the same tone of voice as you might read "I know where you hid the bodies" it becomes even funnier.

alekth

Out of curiosity, where would you draw the line? The characters in Kung Fu Panda are anthropomorphic, but highly stylized. The mice in American Tail are technically just normal mice, but walk on two legs and use their paws as hands. What about werewolves?

I feel similar about anthropomorphic and talking animals and the "sort of like" line for me would be Peter Rabbit:

Chip 'n' Dale/Duck Tales also work. The tolerance line is way further up, but really mostly coupled precisely with some family entertainment kids' adventure (as in kids having an adventure, not adventure aimed at kids) or/and comedy animation.

DeaviL

Banned
As far as i remember, Overgrowth used animals because humans looked too realistic and seeing them bleed made them cringe.
That didn't really work out i think, because seeing the rabbits bleed from their neck still makes me cringe.

Farslain

It does influence me and almost always in a positive way.

If a game contains simply humans then the art/animation needs to be exceptional for it to appeal, Diablo 3 for example I was perfectly happy to play. Infact I didn't play Dragon Age 2 because there were no other races.

I'd never considered the whole sexualised anthro' thing before, but on consideration I guess that it does have a negative impact.

Argonian in Elder Scrolls, Iksar and Ratonga in Everquest are great examples of anthro I absolutely adore.

The negative side comes from stuff like Dust, this is a game I know I'd enjoy but the art has just kept me away, the overly sexual furry thing you play as to be more specific. I know one day in a gaming dry spell I'll buy and complete it however.

XaosWolf

The negative side comes from stuff like Dust, this is a game I know I'd enjoy but the art has just kept me away, the overly sexual furry thing you play as to be more specific. I know one day in a gaming dry spell I'll buy and complete it however.

You must be confusing something somewhere. =/

CloudWolf

Mostly not. For instnce, I have recently bought / ordered the entire season of The Wolf Among Us and that has anthropomorphic animals everywhere. Also, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day are two of my favorite games of all time.

That said, it highly depends on the artstyle. For instance, Dust: An Elysian Tale is going way too far for me. The game looks fun, but the artstyle is really holding me back from buying it.

Elvick

Banned
I think lumping in any character like Ratchet with furries is retarded.

Pedos and rapists are humans, should we stop playing all games with humans to avoid being associated with pedos and rapists? That logic is dumb.

Anyhoo, I don't care. In fact, I prefer games like Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, etc.

They stand the test of time (graphically) far better than "realism" does. Plus, now we're at the point of uncanny valley in 99% of games. And you just don't get that at all in R&C games, and things like that.

Hedge

Anthropomorphic animals doesn't bother me if they're well drawn in a unique or interesting style. Khajit bothers me a bit, since they're just humans with cat faces. Charr, on the other hand, runs on four legs, have animalistic behavior, etc, and I like that more. Makes them less generic and "you're a cat now!".
The Dust-game does fall under "generic", and so I can't play it.

Yawnier

Banned
I really couldn't less care as long as the game itself or series was good and enjoyable (i.e. Sly Cooper or Star Fox).

Kurdel

Banned
I think lumping in any character like Ratchet with furries is retarded.

Pedos and rapists are humans, should we stop playing all games with humans to avoid being associated with pedos and rapists? That logic is dumb.

What on earth are you talking about?

People who avoid games with anthropomorphized animals seem mostly turned off by the occasional sexualization of the characters.

No one complained about Star Fox 64, but people did complain about Star Fox adventures. It is a pretty clear line that does not automatically implicate fans of the art style with sexual fetishes.

It's just hat some people have lower tolerance for weird shit, and a fox lady with cleavage and a seductive gaze is definitely some weird shit.

starfoxcom-69.png

But this on the other hand is really cool to me:

newstarfox-495x272.jpg

That might too much for some people, but I think human animal monster hybrids are awesome.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just for reference: do not mistake or assume the Sonic fanbase is related to furry. Bad stuff happens to those that happen.

I would like Dust a lot more if it didn't feature devianart-esque furry art yes.

Yep. I like me some Dust but the artstyle is awful.

I think the problem assumes that just because someone is a furry means they'll like all furry art, and all furry art is dA shit tier.

I for one prefer glorious kemono master race!

What on earth are you talking about?

People who avoid games with anthropomorphized animals seem mostly turned off by the occasional sexualization of the characters.

No one complained about Star Fox 64, but people did complain about Star Fox adventures. It is a pretty clear line that does not automatically implicate fans of the art style with sexual fetishes.

It's just hat some people have lower tolerance for weird shit, and a fox lady with cleavage and a seductive gaze is definitely some weird shit.

starfoxcom-69.png

I hate Krystal too but people talk as though "sexualized anthropomorphic characters in mass media" is a new thing. Stuff like The Great Mouse Detective has a stripper!

Eh, I don't care. Hell, I'm fine with games deviating from reality provided I like the style. Have a fucking pig talk to me, whatever, I'll take it.

Maligna

Banned
Yes, it usually does make me pause. But not because of anything furry related. Instead I pause because anthro animals most often star in old school PS2 style platformers... which I am not a fan of.

Boss Doggie

Why did I google that? I mean, your post was pretty clear on what it was, but I just had to know more....

I dunno what you googled. :p

Kemono is essentially "Japanese furry". Like furry it varies in style, but they're quite distinct vs. Western style. Kemono literally just means "beast", but it's shortened term for "kemono-obito" or beastman, and use kemono as a term. Star Fox is kemono as much as Shining Force, but you can see the difference in style.

I prefer anthro styled in kemono.

Less like this

dusto8p2i.png

And more like this

AQ2hIyX.jpg

Boss Doggie

My only dislike is that apparently it's okay to draw full animal head for male, but for girls it's a no-no. Even Blacksad (a great visual novel and you all should read it) suffers from it.

M3d10n

There's a very specific anthro art style that puts me off. It's very easy to spot because it tends to flood any service where one can upload drawings, like DA and Colors! It looks like some people who start trying to draw in a generic anime style quickly "graduate" into this style because it's much easier to draw "cool" looking fox/dog/wolf faces than human faces, turning the style into a disguise for their lack of talent.

Dust's art-style hovers too closely to that for my tastes. It even has the characteristic bad shading and garish colors.

mollipen

I am not at all a furry, but I'd much rather play a character like Dust than a character like Mario. For me, the line isn't "is it furry," the line is "do I find the character ugly?"

So, I think it's a combination of that, and if the overall world/character design is attractive to me. When I played Dust, I enjoyed the world, the characters, and the gameplay, so I pretty quickly just kind of forgot that the game was "OMG furry!" It was just a game with characters who happened to be based around animals.

And given how utterly fetishizes game characters are in the first place too often, that's not something I can heavily criticize furry artwork for. The entire industry needs to be better in that regard IMHO.

I don't think overgrowth is a good example of an argument for stylization.

Almost everything Overgrowth does leans towards realism, even if it is a bit over the top.

The animations and physics, lighting, realistic blood, the martial arts, etc. The only thing different from other games focusing on realism or stylized realism is that the characters are bunny-men.

And that's kind of where I have an issue with it. While I'm mostly okay with anthro animals, I tend to consider any character design that's little more than fur and an animal head/joints on a human frame to be pretty lazy design.

Dust is pretty anthro, but the character moves, acts, and animates with a more animalistic style, and it's a cartoon.

Overgrowth could have just as easily had stylized Wushu masters as its protagonists instead of straight bunny men. Although that would raise its ESRB rating (if it had one), technically its rating should still be up there due to level of violence.

I don't think anyone was arguing that Overgrowth was stylised. Bit of a stretch to call the developer "lazy" which is the most abused and false criticism against game developers nowadays.

Anthromorphic in itself implies "little more than fur and an animal head/joints on a human frame" because if they'd be any more animal-like being on all fours, then that's just an animal. The character design doesn't look "lazy" to me, it looks more like a rabbit standing on two feet instead of having human proportions or body parts.

overgrowth-4efcfe9805956.jpg

Overgrowth has things that don't break the suspension of disbelief compared to if it had a human. For example, the rabbits don't have much fall damage at all from skyscraper heights, but if that was a human then you'd be thinking "why didn't he get hurt?". Rabbits jumping insane heights doesn't need any explanation, while humans doing that would need an explanation that they have superpowers or some other narrative excuse. Rabbits bouncing off each other from their feet, yeah I don't see that happening with humans.

ieaUF3ZlE0CEO.gif

Boss Doggie

I am not at all a furry, but I'd much rather play a character like Dust than a character like Mario. For me, the line isn't "is it furry," the line is "do I find the character ugly?"

So, I think it's a combination of that, and if the overall world/character design is attractive to me. When I played Dust, I enjoyed the world, the characters, and the gameplay, so I pretty quickly just kind of forgot that the game was "OMG furry!" It was just a game with characters who happened to be based around animals.

And given how utterly fetishizes game characters are in the first place too often, that's not something I can heavily criticize furry artwork for. The entire industry needs to be better in that regard IMHO.

I dunno, Dust artstyle is amateur-ish. I mean, Mario may be sterile in the design but at least it's pleasing to the eyes.

Hedge

My only dislike is that apparently it's okay to draw full animal head for male, but for girls it's a no-no. Even Blacksad (a great visual novel and you all should read it) suffers from it.

Yeah, that's really annoying to me as well. It should be consistent, otherwise the only reason I can see for them not doing it is to make the females more attractive - and that annoys me greatly.

Cronox

Banned
I'll admit that part of why I haven't bought Dust is because of its aesthetic. I'll eventually buy it when it goes on sale low enough so I can throw it in the landfill that is my Steam game list.

Not really. And I'm a furry.

The only decent anthro animal games have been the StarFox and Sly Cooper games. The rest are usually crap (Like Brutal Paws of Fury).

I really don't look to much into these things never knew what a furry was until last year and a brony this year

A majority of these games for PS where made in the PS's mascot war with only Jak being a non animal like species

Ratchet is an alien and Sly Cooper was made by sucker punch as a witty noir joke of a thief being a raccoon

I guess the devs never had the attention to do this for a majority of these games it is just that a few people go out of bounds to quel their fetishes with these characters making fanfics

But seriously regardless of what it is, (human or not human) weird fanfics will always be created from just about anything animal like or not

Edit: Okay I am seeing some really wierd games posted by Gaffers

Edit 2: Rather it is not what sub group people are in but what people do with it

Make a game about a tree and if that said gAme gets a decent fanbase then it will take only a matter of time before certain fanfics are made for it

sd28821

doesn't bother me and as long as its interesting etc i have no reason to care if people do shit i don't like with characters like that since i can just ignore it.

Morzak

Doesn't bother me at all unless it's over sexualized (but that is a turn of in nearly any form of game). I grew up with those old Disney games and there were tons of other animated films and series that included some form of them.

Dust certainly didn't have the best character art but I didn't find it offensive or anything like that.

Alvarez

Banned
I was initially turned off by the weird-looking characters in Sine Mora and Final Fantasy IX, but after playing each of the games, I found the character designs very charming and memorable.

Zidane without a tail? Fuck that!

Gotta go fast.

I enjoy games like Bloody Roar and Killer Instinct, both of which have anthropomorphized animals. As a kid I thought werewolves were cool as shit, but nowadays It doesn't influence me one way or the other.

I've always loved talking animals (loved Redwall growing up), and I think furries can be sexy...so they can't hurt. But ultimately I'll buy a game if I'm interested in playing it, not for the furries. For example I still haven't bought Dust. Just haven't been in the mood to play it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Eh, I don't think that it would ever put me off from buying a game completely but there is a particular kind of anthropomorphic animal style that puts me off.

I'm fine with most people-like animals, but when it's just a person with say... fur, an animal head, a tail, and boobies if it's a girl, I groan.

And here is where I start to get creeped out by the designs. The merging of human and animal facial features as done here never sits well with me. I could stomach the lizard guy and the feline guy, but everyone else gives me the heebiejeebies. Gets worse when you notice the bird in the background and just wonder.

Oh, I also hate animal people with plump lips.

Top Bottom