• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Semitic hate crime increased by 36% and at record high, says UK charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38836536

The Community Security Trust (CST), which monitors anti-Semitism, recorded 1,309 incidents in 2016 - surpassing the previous high of 1,182 in 2014.

Mark Gardner, from the CST, said anti-Semites currently felt "emboldened".

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said the government was providing £13.4m to increase security in Jewish areas.

The CST, which works with police to gather data, said recorded incidents last year had increased by 36% on 2015.

More than three-quarters of all recorded incidents took place in Greater London and Greater Manchester, where the two largest Jewish communities in the UK are located.

According to the CST's report:

• There were 1,006 incidents of abusive behaviour, including verbal abuse, hate mail and anti-Semitic graffiti
  • Damage and desecration to Jewish property increased by a quarter - to 81 recorded incidents
  • There were 107 violent anti-Semitic assaults reported - the highest number since 2010
  • 287 anti-Semitic incidents involved social media

Mark Gardner, from the CST, said the increase could be partly explained by a greater willingness to report incidents to the police.

However, he said: "Racists, including anti-Semites, feel emboldened, feel encouraged, at this moment in time, for a whole range of reasons, to come out with their hatred.

"They used to keep it under the ground. Now they're coming out. A lid has been lifted off."

The CST, which has recorded data since 1984, said a perceived increase in racism and xenophobia following the EU referendum and greater discussion of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party could explain the rise.

Ms Rudd described anti-Semitism as a "deplorable form of hatred".

She said: "It is vital we ensure the safety and security of our Jewish community and this government will continue to do all we can to stamp out these vile attacks and encourage those who experience them to come forward."

Communities Secretary Sajid Javid added: "Anti-Semitism must be understood for what it is - an attack on the identity of people who live, contribute and are valued in our society.

Last year Labour held an inquiry into allegations of anti-Semitism in the party, following the suspension of MP Naz Shah and ex-London mayor Ken Livingstone.

Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson said the findings of the report were "extremely distressing", adding: "We must root out anti-Semitism whenever it takes place and wherever it exists, as a party and as a country."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38836536

liquidtmd

Banned
This is obviously going to be a 'well duh Brexit' thread but I'd add conjecture that if the ref verdict had gone the other way, I think hate crimes would have risen regardless in retaliation / 'fuck the system it was rigged' way.

Entirely depressing but not surprising report. I love the people I know in my country but am aware this is on the rise.

We must stay strong and we must do more

The problem is that the general tone in the west with regards to xenophobia and nationalism gives empowerment to these people who want to attack others based on race, colour, religion or whatever.

The amount of disgusting things you see with regards to this type of thing on social media or people 'sharing' those horrible and often false propaganda spreads is just staggering.

I think there are a significant amount of people who are unwilling to do the research themselves and simply believe whatever they read in the papers. When the papers have a heavily right wing agenda (daily mail and the sun) then people believe it.

The 'entitlement' issue is also a big one. They say "I deserve this because I was born and bred here" etc... it leads to people feeling like others don't deserve it simply because they aren't white british....

theaface

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said the government was providing £13.4m to increase security in Jewish areas.

This isn't unwelcome, but it misses the point. The government and printed media should be doing some serious soul-searching about how their general tone of cynicism, division, blame towards the 'other', whether that be Jews, Muslims or any kid of foreigner sows the seeds of distrust in the general population. But, of course, they won't. It's always somebody else's fault.

mclem

This is obviously going to be a 'well duh Brexit' thread but I'd add conjecture that if the ref verdict had gone the other way, I think hate crimes would have risen regardless in retaliation / 'fuck the system it was rigged' way.

I'm intrigued by the fact that the previous high was in 2014, one year before the referendum. Curious what the historical curve looks like.

Entirely depressing but not surprising report. I love the people I know in my country but am aware this is on the rise.

We must stay strong and we must do more

I think there's something to be said that the result emboldened racists and made them think the rest of the country agrees with them. It's not a coincidence that reported hate crimes shot up within days of the vote.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think there's something to be said that the result emboldened racists and made them think the rest of the country agrees with them. It's not a coincidence that reported hate crimes shot up within days of the vote.

Agree. I don't believe we'd be seeing figures come in quite so high if Remain had won. I just think a Remain vote would have just made the idiot racist twats want to make their views aggressively known in other ways.

Be interesting to see the same kinda data in a few months in the U.S post Trump win.

God it's so pathetic. These people who hate need to be found out. The government needs to speak up and spread peace and kindness. Idk how this happened to the U.K. and US.

PJV3

God it's so pathetic. These people who hate need to be found out. The government needs to speak up and spread peace and kindness. Idk how this happened to the U.K. and US.

People don't take responsibility for their vote anymore.

Par Score

Decades of misleading and fearmongering and other-ing by the popular press.

Recent surveys have found that the majority of the majority white population now believes itself to be a minority. There is a widely held and completely honest yet totally unfounded belief that white people are under attack, that men are under attack, that christianity is under attack, etc.

We have failed as a society to adequately educate and inform, we have failed as a society to adequately provide and care. We have built, as a society, the end of society.

Something else happened in January...

Lclx2K0.png

I think you're on to something here...

They keep it slightly low key, but the far right wants jews dead just as much as they want arabs and blacks dead. Jews are just a little further down the to-do list for them. Strange to see Israel support so many far right political movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom