• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN blames UK politicians for Brexit hate crime spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
No surprises, people being whipped into a frenzy

_90333277_arson_polish_family_letter_976.jpg

A UK government spokeswoman said the UK had "one of the strongest legislative frameworks in the world to protect communities from hostility, violence and bigotry

It said the EU referendum campaign had been marked by "divisive, anti-immigrant and xenophobic rhetoric".
The report added: "The committee remains concerned that despite the recent increase in the reporting of hate crimes, the problem of underreporting persists, and the gap between reported cases and successful prosecution remains significant.
"As a result, a large number of racist hate crimes seem to go unpunished."

"Divisive" and "anti-immigrant" rhetoric by UK politicians during the EU referendum helped to fuel a spike in race hate crimes in the weeks before and after the vote, a UN body has said.
It said prominent political figures had "failed to condemn" racist abuse and created prejudices during the campaign.
Some 3,198 hate crimes were reported from 16-30 June - a 42% rise on 2015.
The UK government said it had a zero tolerance approach to hate crime, backed by strong and effective laws.
The EU referendum was held on 23 June - when the UK voted to leave the European Union.
Abuse peaked on 25 June - the day after the result was announced - when 289 hate crimes and incidents were reported across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
A further 3,001 reports of hate crimes were made to police between 1 and 14 July - equivalent to more than 200 every day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37193140

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Time to replace them with the British United Nations.

I think you mean the United Commonwealth Association!

Someone needs to get that Russia -> Soviet Union Simpsons gif and replace it with a Britain -> British Empire gif.

But I'm told that not being PC has no consecuence. How do I reconcile facts with my beliefs? Let me ignore the facts and continue on my merry way. /S

I'm waiting for someone to pop in here and proclaim that Leave had nothing to do with immigration and they voted for Leave for completely rational and beneficial reasons. It wasn't a protest vote for them, they weren't just lashing against the establishment. And that EU has been meddling with UK affairs for too long or something.

BigDes

I'm waiting for someone to pop in here and proclaim that Leave had nothing to do with immigration and they voted for Leave for completely rational and beneficial reasons. It wasn't a protest vote for them, they weren't just lashing against the establishment. And that EU has been meddling with UK affairs for too long or something.

Post #15

ittoryu

But they told me Ukip wasn't racist, they told me that wasn't nazi propaganda, they told me it was a vote against the establishment... Oh they also told me to go back to my country

You're suggesting immigration wasn't a valid reason to vote leave.

Oh wait, let me guess, issues with immigration = you're a racist, right?

Weak.

Percentages and statistics, how does it work...

42% rise seems pretty large.

When the number was so small initially, it easy to get a big percentage increase. That is how it works.

Here is a good percentage, 17,410,742 voted Leave. 6000 complaints. Now lets just swing those complaints in the favour of showing how many racists there must be and say it was 6000 individual people causing the complaints, and not for example, 1000 people causing 6 complaints each to be made. Also that all complaints were caused by people who actually voted.

(6000/17410742)x100 = 0.034% of those who voted Leave caused a racist complaint.

0.034%

ittoryu

Weak.
Not sure on the racist bit, but surely if you think immigration in relation to the EU was a problem, you were focusing on the wrong issue, imo.
Also: let's admit that this vote did generate a massive racism spike, or is that too much to admit?

Weak.

When the number was so small initially, it easy to get a big percentage increase. That how it work.

People may think their concerns are legitimate, but it's undeniable that the facts people used to justify an anti-immigration stance in the uk are largely fictitious and certainly any problems that we do have aren't going to be solved by simply leaving the EU.

I can believe some voters were swayed by the leave supporters arguements and truly believed they were facts rather than fearmongering stories that exaborbated a problem rather than helped it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Weak.

What were your problems with immigration? I can think of about three possible alternatives. Firstly, you didn't think there was sufficient public infrastructure, in terms of houses, schooling, hospitals, and so on. If this is the case, I think you have the wrong problem. The average EU immigration gives £1.34 in taxation for every £1 they receive in spending, making them net contributors[1]. That means we can actually afford less public infrastructure if we reduce the number of EU immigrants we have. To the extent that public infrastructure was constrained, the problem was not one of immigration but of politics - governments unwilling to make those investments (particularly Conservative governments), and voting to leave the EU seems like an especially poor idea when the EU provides funds for areas with poor infrastructure that UK governments often wouldn't.

Secondly, you think it affected the wages of low earners due to wage competition. This is true, but caveats apply. Firstly, as above, new immigrants are net contributors. That means there was ample funding able to be spent on retraining and so on, that could have put British workers facing wage competition into better-paying industries. Secondly, the long-term economic ramifications of lower immigration are expected to be worse for low-income workers than reduced wage competition. Over the period 2000-2011, Britain's current immigration levels compared to a hypothetical net 0 migration Britain caused a depression of £0.03 in average hourly pay for unskilled workers, or about £57.6 over the course of a year [2]. This is very much fractional compared to the growth benefits of having access to the single market. So, while pay might be fractionally higher now in the short-run, over the long-run reduced growth prospects mean low earners will be worse off the in the future.

Thirdly, you think it has caused cultural damage, or undermined societal integrity, or something along those lines. This is obviously a much more subjective issue than the two above, but it's noticeable that propensity to vote UKIP was inversely related to the number of immigrants in a given constituency, with high statistical significance. How much people feared the cultural impact of immigration drastically reduced as they became exposed to immigrants, indicating that perhaps this fear was something of a boogeyman, sold to people who weren't in a position to know otherwise. Even then, much of the anger aimed at apparent cultural disintegration seems to have been aimed at non-EU migrants; it's often a cover to complain about South Asians and Muslim ones in particular. Given that leaving the EU has only changed EU immigration, this hasn't changed at all.

Overall, I don't think there's a particularly strong case to be made on the basis of immigration.

When the number was so small initially, it easy to get a big percentage increase. That is how it works.

Here is a good percentage, 17,410,742 voted Leave. 6000 complaints. Now lets just swing those complaints in the favour of showing how many racists there must be and say it was 6000 individual people causing the complaints, and not for example, 1000 people causing 6 complaints each to be made. Also that all complaints were caused by people who actually voted.

(6000/17410742)x100 = 0.034% of those who voted Leave caused a racist complaint.

0.034%
The rise is still there and that is not a good look. I would also bet that most stuff goes unreported.

Are all Leave voters racist? No. But anti-immigration sentiment certainly played a major role in the campaign. Which is strange, since I don't think immigration within the EU is a large problem. Immigration from outside the EU seems to be what people are afraid of - and there are valid complaints there I think - but the anti-EU thing seems misguided.

Mivey

What's wrong with immigration?
Though it is often defended by pointing out demographics (A supposedly "aging populous"), in truth, the very presence of immigration is causing people to get older and having less children, since they understand instinctively that immigrants will take their place in the world. Therefore, immigration is the root of all of Britains problems. Indeed, the same can be said for all western countries.

If EU immigration was so bad for low-skilled worker wages then why would Lidl and Aldi raise their basic rate to over £10 an hour in London? If I stuck with my part time retail job then in September I would have received a pay increase as well. Also, unemployment is decreasing for everyone, even with our high immigration rates. No problems creating jobs here.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Though it is often defended by pointing out demographics (A supposedly "aging populous"), in truth, the very presence of immigration is causing people to get older and having less children, since they understand instinctively that immigrants will take their place in the world. Therefore, immigration is the root of all of Britains problems. Indeed, the same can be said for all western countries.

Poe's Law kicking in hard.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have no clue if this is a joke post or not.

Japan has extremely low immigration and a very low birth rate. I hope you're joking.

iceatcs

If EU immigration was so bad for low-skilled worker wages then why would Lidl and Aldi raise their basic rate to over £10 an hour in London? If I stuck with my part time retail job then in September I would have received a pay increase as well. Also, unemployment is decreasing for everyone, even with our high immigration rates. No problems creating jobs here.

London seems not really a problem with it. But many other places like non-city according to vote results.

Many of my old boarding school's North friends still working on roughly £6.70 to £7.20 per hour, whereas my GF getting £12 an hour for the similar job in London.
I think UK need to sort the divide problem. So better to get rid of Living wage then.

MUnited83

For you.

Weak.

0.034%

Well, if you actually knew anything about emigration, you wouldn't be against it.

And if you knew anything at all about anything, you'd know that voting "Leave" would do jackshit against it in the first place, because nobody on the Leave side has actual ideas for anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom