• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN blames UK politicians for Brexit hate crime spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
The rise is still there and that is not a good look. I would also bet that most stuff goes unreported.

Are all Leave voters racist? No. But anti-immigration sentiment certainly played a major role in the campaign. Which is strange, since I don't think immigration within the EU is a large problem. Immigration from outside the EU seems to be what people are afraid of - and there are valid complaints there I think - but the anti-EU thing seems misguided.

You'd be completely wrong. There's a lot of anti EU sentiment, lots of Polish and Romanians caught the brunt of the post brexit hate. Immigration from outside the EU is strictly controlled, at least far more then within, so whatever complaint you feel is valid outside the same would apply to immigration within given there's not the same degree of filtering that takes place.

You'd be completely wrong. There's a lot of anti EU sentiment, lots of Polish and Romanians caught the brunt of the post brexit hate. Immigration from outside the EU is controlled, so you'd be wrong there too.

I think there is a difference between any real problems with immigration (ClosingADoor's point) and perceived problems with immigration. Leave voters were interviewed complaining about non-EU immigrants. Areas with high proportions of Leave voters often had the lowest levels of immigration (EU or otherwise).

TimmmV

Wait until Brexit doesn't turn the UK into the land of milk and honey over night. Then you will see some shit

Poor people and immigrants will see some shit, because they will get blamed for whatever new problems come up. There's no way the leave voters will be all like "yeah sorry guys we really fucked up with this one"

Jumeira

Banned
I think there is a difference between any real problems with immigration (ClosingADoor's point) and perceived problems with immigration. Leave voters were interviewed complaining about non-EU immigrants. Areas with high proportions of Leave voters often had the lowest levels of immigration (EU or otherwise).

Non EU migrants are not impacted though. In or out, UK has always been in control of its borders when it comes to them. The rhetoric was mostly down to non-english speaking and low skilled workers from within the EU (Eastern Europeans) taking jobs, I don't remember any real energy devoted to non-eu immigrants apart from fear mongering about refugees.

Makes sense populations with low immigration voting to leave, there were farmers that completely rely on cheap labour from eastern Europe voting to leave. But that doesn't really tell us anything, apart from these places not wanting foreigners.

If you look at post Brexit chatter politicians are pretty vocal about curbing EU migration, which is, I believe a direct response to one of the main reason Brexiters deciding to vote leave.

Tenebrous

Poor people and immigrants will see some shit, because they will get blamed for whatever new problems come up. There's no way the leave voters will be all like "yeah sorry guys we really fucked up with this one"

Ironic considering how many poor folk in the UK voted for leave.

Zereta

Well, weren't most of the leave voters, at least the ones who weren't doing it for the lulz, old people?

They'll die off and hopefully the more sensible ones will try to stir the ship right again.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well, weren't most of the leave voters, at least the ones who weren't doing it for the lulz, old people?

They'll die off and hopefully the more sensible ones will try to stir the ship right again.
While those numbers exist, "the old people will die off eventually" is an irresponsibly passive attitude that clearly doesn't work. Younger generations can be plenty racist, and there are plenty of them among the "leave" voters.

TimmmV

IIRC when votes were broken down by age the group where support shifted from mostly remain to mostly leave was only about 50 years old. Plenty of those voters are going to be around for a few more decades, so unfortunately just waiting for the problem to go solve itself probably isn't going to work

Burai

shitonmychest57
IIRC when votes were broken down by age the group where support shifted from mostly remain to mostly leave was only about 50 years old. Plenty of those voters are going to be around for a few more decades, so unfortunately just waiting for the problem to go solve itself probably isn't going to work

When the pensions and NHS time bomb finally goes off, we'll see the herd thin pretty rapidly.

Audioboxer

When you let Nigel Farage prance around on your TV, in your news and all over your papers, are you surprised?

Yes I support freedom of speech strongly, but I'm saying a consequence of it is when you give bigots a platform they will empower biggoted people. Unless you successfully marginalise them, mock them, and beat their bad ideas with good ones.

However the Brexit campaign aligning with Farage and being more interested in trying to whine about the pro-remain campaign does not send a message of marginalising the bigot (Farage). Our own fucking government and mainstream press empowered Farage and others like him. We therefore only have ourselves to blame.

That is why remain voters get pissed off at leave voters. You largely done nothing to police/criticise your own side running around acting like fools and bigots.

When the pensions and NHS time bomb finally goes off, we'll see the herd thin pretty rapidly.

Not really they'll still be blaming immigrants or whatever other deflection the government throws at them. Maybe Corbyn "drama" on a train will be the next thing to blame on NHS cuts. I'm also sure the incoming indyref2 will allow Scotland to be told breaking up the union is a disaster and the reason behind pension cuts as well. There's always something. Always a subject to point the finger at and say "you caused this problem, not us!".

Jezbollah

vote-demographics.png

So this is the demographic results. You're right - the vast majority of Leave voters were from the oldest two age groups - but what stands out is how close it is in the 35-44 demographic (the one I am in - and I voted Remain).

Audioboxer

How is this even allowed? Why would anyone except neo-nazis vote for this shit?

The same reason Trump is allowed to go around spewing rhetoric, freedom of speech. As I said above while I defend it with every ounce of my fiber as the alternative is not a nice one, it is up to the people to self-police against bigots and bad ideas. When you have large chunks of your population falling in line with the bigot and chanting their rhetoric, then what you have isn't as much a problem with freedom of speech but a problem that parts of your own population are really shitty people. Maybe a small portion of them genuinely ignorant and caught up in something they will later regret, but the majority? Assholes in your country. You need to find legal ways to fight back against them (violence never works), and in the UK the remain campaign failed to do that. At least in England and Wales it did. In Scotland the remain campaign won, thanks largely to the SNP being a party who vote in unison and send a postitive message. Labour were an absolute fucking shambles as the large "remain" support in England. The Tories while lead by a PM who said he was remain were a leave party in sheeps clothing.

The English population largely fucked the vote, and that has nothing to do with me being anti-English. I mean they were interviewing people on TV specifically saying they voted Leave just to get back at London (complete fucking idiot voters), or the even more disgusting statement, "immigrants" (bigots and racist voters).

AHA-Lambda

A UK government spokeswoman said the UK had "one of the strongest legislative frameworks in the world to protect communities from hostility, violence and bigotry

QyZso.gif

How is this even allowed? Why would anyone except neo-nazis vote for this shit?

I actually wonder this myself at times. When it comes to groups as openly hateful as this, I actually don't understand why they're allowed to operate.

But then you'll get people complaining about free speech?
Yet frankly if it's hate speech I don't see why it applies.

And let's not forget that that same racism is what swung the damn EU vote.

But racism is solely an American problem

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if there is one thing I am glad that Brexit did, is that it's shown the rest of the world how bad our politics really are, cos America has kinda stolen the limelight for so long.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I find it a bit doubtful that its the old folks who are the ones committing all the hate crime!

Audioboxer

I find it a bit doubtful that its the old folks who are the ones committing all the hate crime!

Well some of the wost stereotypes for bigotry are the beer belly English football yobs. Quite a few of them are "older" men. It's the same north of the border as well, sectarianism is a disease up here. It's largely about Catholics vs Protestants than ire aimed at foreigners though. Hence how the racism led campaigns for Brexit didn't appeal to the Scottish people in a large number. We still have our racists though for sure.

They tend to be some of the worst examples of queen and country folks as well where it is all about "English pride", which really equates to "white pride". I mean as bad as the USA thinks it has racial tension we have our own as well, as seen by Brexit.

We just don't have the guns problem leading to minorities being killed everywhere. Verbal bigotry and oppression might not be murder but it is still disgusting and embarrassing. When you hear things like "fucking pakis taking our benefits and hurting the NHS" you almost yourself want to "aim a gun" at the bigots. Almost. As I said above violence against bigotry/racism solves very little.

People are the worst but you have an even bigger problem when your own government fails to shutdown fucking numpties like Farage and instead ally with him. Boris Johnson deserves to be shot in a rocket into space as much as Farage.

Unfortunately the Brexit vote has brought a lot of underlying racism out into the open and worse, these people now feel vindicated.

It's fucking sick and sadly it's happening all over the country, non Brits have been subject to violence and hate speech in the street, some are even being targeted in their own homes.

When there's nothing left to tie me to this place, I am seriously considering moving away, maybe to Canada, always liked the idea of living there.

Who do you think is teaching the young people who to hate and carry out the hits? The young people are the brainwashed footsoldiers of the older racists.

TIE6_3437220b.jpg

Acorn

The govt ignored then shit upon the UN's reports into the disastrous IDS DWP's policies.

Tories give minus 5 shits, Labour is too busy arguing with itself and we're having brexit imposed on us.

Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom