• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Black Ops 2 Wii U Reviews or Impressions?

majik13

Question to those who have been playing online and have played other versions (360/PS3):

Is it just me or is the audio quality for voice communication worse in the Wii U version? I can hardly make out what people are saying to me. Game audio sounds wonderful, I just don't know if it's my headset or what. Or is this a known thing that they used a crap codec?

could be crap codec, or maybe most people are using the built in mic, which would probabaly sound like a speaker phone but worse.

I have yet to go online but, from what i heard, plugging in headphones activates the built in mic, is this true for even headphones, like iphone, that have their own built in mic, Does it use the mic on the gamepad, or on the earbuds?

could be crap codec, or maybe most people are using the built in mic, which would probabaly sound like a speaker phone but worse.

I have yet to go online but, from what i heard, plugging in headphones activates the built in mic, is this true for even headphones, like iphone, that have their own built in mic, Does it use the mic on the gamepad, or on the earbuds?

Again, the audio quality from my end when listening was exactly the same practically when people had different types of headsets plugged in, including decent ones like the N11.

For your reference: it doesn't use the GamePad microphone, but the one that's plugged in.

If anyone is up for testing my microphone in Blops 2, hit me up please! NNID: gametista

tenchir

I haven't opened my copy yet because I haven't decided if I should trade this in for Scribblenauts or not. How is the situation with the server populations? Is it still under 1k?

BlankaBR

Banned
I haven't opened my copy yet because I haven't decided if I should trade this in for Scribblenauts or not. How is the situation with the server populations? Is it still under 1k?
Are you serious? Trade for Scribblenauts? Don't do it blops 2 is great, it will get more players eventually

majik13

Just curious, what' the word on the Wii U version's resolution ? Was the E3 rep full of shit or what ?

I think the word is native 720p on wii u, compared to sub hd on the other consoles. But I havant seen anything official on it,

Malvingt2

one more review. Glad that we have a great version of the game

Review:

Black Ops II adds few Wii U specific controls and options that make use of the GamePad controller (with the exception to the split-screen co-op feature), leaving behind unnecessary motion gestures and gimmicks. It might have been useful to implement some touch-screen functionality to further streamline some menus and the custom class screens, but unfortunately, those features weren't included. As a full package, Call of Duty: Black Ops II’s superb offering of a balanced multiplayer, challenging Zombies modes, and entertaining single player campaign make it an excellent title to pick up on the Wii U.

YOU'LL LOVE
The branching story campaign
Addictive multiplayer and Zombies modes
Playing split-screen co-op with the GamePad

YOU'LL HATE
Not being able to access the Home screen from any menu
Touch controls to streamline menus and class customization are absent
Not having a Wii U Pro Controller for split-screen co-op

http://www.gamesradar.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-wii-u-review/

kitsuneyo

Hypothetically, would it be easy for people from GAF to set up a game together on WiiU? Do the game, Miiverse and the friend list make it pretty straightforward?

I'm curious because it sounds like playing with randoms isn't that easy due to low numbers.

Also, have people noticed the numbers going steadily up since Sunday or not?

Malvingt2

Hypothetically, would it be easy for people from GAF to set up a game together on WiiU? Do the game, Miiverse and the friend list make it pretty straightforward?

I'm curious because it sounds like playing with randoms isn't that easy due to low numbers.

658 people right now.. A mod should help to spread the words out and make this thread the review thread and update OP.

It's easy to set up a lobby, except most people don't have mics. So if I start a lobby and send out a bunch of invites, the first person to accept might be sitting around waiting for a bit. Normally, you could communicate that more people are on the way, but most don't have mic set-ups yet.

That's not a Wii U problem. Just a new console problem.

As for randoms, it's never hard to get into a Core TDM match. I haven't tried other modes yet, as I usually wait to get into Dom, Demo, and SnD once I feel I've learned the maps.

kitsuneyo

It's easy to set up a lobby, except most people don't have mics. So if I start a lobby and send out a bunch of invites, the first person to accept might be sitting around waiting for a bit. Normally, you could communicate that more people are on the way, but most don't have mic set-ups yet.

That's not a Wii U problem. Just a new console problem.

As for randoms, it's never hard to get into a Core TDM match. I haven't tried other modes yet, as I usually wait to get into Dom, Demo, and SnD once I feel I've learned the maps.

It's kind of a WiiU problem since there's no headset in the box (unlike 360).

Thanks for the answers though.

658 people right now.. A mod should help to spread the words out and make this thread the review thread and update OP.

I guess the numbers will climb steadily and spike Christmas Day.

EU launch next Friday will help too, got this pre-ordered alongside my WiiU :)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The problem is that not enough people know you can use a run of the mill headphone/mic combo. someone should post about it on miiverse.

Malvingt2

The problem is that not enough people know you can use a run of the mill headphone/mic combo. someone should post about it on miiverse.

Yeah that is a problem.

another thing, I am getting use to the Wiimote, I left everything default and only changed the dead zone. I went really low and now is responding great to my style.

majik13

I swear I saw someone did post in in miiverse, makes miiverse look very useful for disseminating info like that

KageZero

Malvingt2

Overall besides the color difference the wiiu version looks a bit sharper although i doubt i could notice this while playing. Why is this game then listed in the performance problem thread if it runs normal on the console?
crazy people that we have in GAF. Overreacting to minor things. It is a shame..

Appleman

Hey guys, any word on the multiplayer options for this? I know you can do two player with one person on the gamepad and one on the TV, but does it have traditional splitscreen four player (with wiimotes or pro controllers) or even five player with the pad?

NBtoaster

Overall besides the color difference the wiiu version looks a bit sharper although i doubt i could notice this while playing. Why is this game then listed in the performance problem thread if it runs normal on the console?

We don't know how the performance compares to the others, but it was put in that thread on the basis of this.

Kevtones

Jumping online!

NNID: kevtones

Indeed. It goes from being a blah mainstream port to BEST HANDHELD GRAPHICS EVAR.

I'm making a point to play AssCreed 3 the same way.

It's dangerous too. I've been staying up way too late because of the functionality...

Check out Nano Assault Neo for some good pad play too.

Jtrizzy

It says we are provisional friends and that you need to enter my name ? anyway i do have this game, it looks good in the upscaled 1080p mode, and rarely drops frames in multiplayer.

It says we are provisional friends and that you need to enter my name ? anyway i do have this game, it looks good in the upscaled 1080p mode, and rarely drops frames in multiplayer.

In the future try adding friends from the Miiverse instead of the friend list. This takes care of the provisional stuff (a pain, I know). From the Miiverse, go to user profile, choose the option to search for users, input the NNID of the other user and their profile will show up. In the upper right there is an option to add as a friend. You can include a small message and this request will actually be sent to the user, which they can simply accept.

Top Bottom