• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any fan of Analogue here?

Lone Wolf

Got a Super NT and Mega SG. It’s nice to go to simpler game once in a while.
Have both as well. Once in a while wife and I have retro night. We play some co-op and take turns on other games. Lots of fun. I want to get the Duo but I’m sure it will be difficult to get.

OverHeat

« generous god »
mp61Nbe.jpg
Plug on my old C7 not a big retro setup but do the job.

dcx4610

Got the Super Nt and Mega Sg. I'll skip the Turbo since I don't have any nostalgia for it. I really wish they would release a cheaper plastic NES system with the same aesthics as the others. I love the NES but not enough to pay $500 for the Nt Mini and I'm not a fan of its design.

Rat Rage

I'm not a fan of this company at all, for just one simple reason: I can't buy their shit. I might've bought one or two systems, but they never have their stuff in stock. Why do they even develop all these fancy systems, if you just can't buy them? How hard is it to actually manufacture enough of all the shit they are supposedly trying to sell? What kind of stupid business is this?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Yeah for sure! I have all their systems so far...waiting for the duo to go on sale/preorder.
They make my classic collection look and play fantastic on new TVs!

Dr. Suchong

Got a tonne of Mega Drive and Snes carts to test out on original hardware before I take the plunge.
Hopefully they'll all be in working order and then I'll dip.
Quick question for Nt/Sg owners. Can you create some sort of save state for Snes/Mega Drive game carts when their battery back ups are dead? Say for example Phantasy star 3 or Secret of Mana?

Dr. Suchong

Got the Super Nt and Mega Sg. I'll skip the Turbo since I don't have any nostalgia for it. I really wish they would release a cheaper plastic NES system with the same aesthics as the others. I love the NES but not enough to pay $500 for the Nt Mini and I'm not a fan of its design.
This.
I've got shit loads of Nes carts but my Nes is dead.
I worked at a Video game shop in my late teens and even back then (1995/96) coming across working Nes consoles was a miracle.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I've never bought any of their products, but I am interested in purchasing a Duo whenever it's released.
For only $199, it seems like a hell of a deal.

Enjay

Banned
They don't seem very interested in actually stocking inventory so I haven't had the opportunity to become a fan.
The hater in me was also soured on how they made sure to have plenty to give away for free as there was a point in time you couldn't browse youtube without seeing someone reviewing the snes console they made.

Last edited:

dcx4610

This.
I've got shit loads of Nes carts but my Nes is dead.
I worked at a Video game shop in my late teens and even back then (1995/96) coming across working Nes consoles was a miracle.
I went with the AVS which is also FPGA and it does a fine job but I'd still like something from Analogue just to have a matching set. Check out the AVS if you aren't familiar with it.

dcx4610

Got a tonne of Mega Drive and Snes carts to test out on original hardware before I take the plunge.
Hopefully they'll all be in working order and then I'll dip.
Quick question for Nt/Sg owners. Can you create some sort of save state for Snes/Mega Drive game carts when their battery back ups are dead? Say for example Phantasy star 3 or Secret of Mana?
Both systems are basically just hardware simulations and function like real machines so the only save state is the cartridge itself. That said, both systems have jailbreaks/custom firmware available that offer save states if you play from ROMs instead of carts. Also, you could use an Everdrive with state states if you don't want to firmware update your system.

If you have a save file on a cart that you really care about, My Life in Gaming did a great video on backing up, transferring and replacing batteries on carts here:

I got the NT Mini, Super NT and Mega SG. I stopped after that. I got tired of the whole "support a new system for 3 months then ditch it even if there's still bugs present" routine. Sold the NT Mini and made my money back and bought a MiSter to replace. Love the MiSter and anyone involved with it. I only use the Super NT and Mega SG for MSU-1 and MD+ at this point. Anything else, I just use the MiSter. Convenient and it keeps getting better thanks to hard working creators/developers. I personally think Analogue have become very greedy at this point and they can get fucked.

I got the NT Mini, Super NT and Mega SG. I stopped after that. I got tired of the whole "support a new system for 3 months then ditch it even if there's still bugs present" routine. Sold the NT Mini and made my money back and bought a MiSter to replace. Love the MiSter and anyone involved with it. I only use the Super NT and Mega SG for MSU-1 and MD+ at this point. Anything else, I just use the MiSter. Convenient and it keeps getting better thanks to hard working creators/developers. I personally think Analogue have become very greedy at this point and they can get fucked.

Nice one. It's cool to know that a fellow GAF member is on the MiSTer FPGA train.

jYtn0EQ.gif

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Both systems are basically just hardware simulations and function like real machines so the only save state is the cartridge itself. That said, both systems have jailbreaks/custom firmware available that offer save states if you play from ROMs instead of carts. Also, you could use an Everdrive with state states if you don't want to firmware update your system.

If you have a save file on a cart that you really care about, My Life in Gaming did a great video on backing up, transferring and replacing batteries on carts here:

Great replies!
Much appreciated :)
I'll check out the AVS for sure.

Dr. Suchong

Anyone here from Blighty and have any experience of importing a AVS console?
Anything I should be aware of before doing so? (Importing)

Joyful

id like to be, the hardware looks really nice. but its expensive so I cant really justify it when emulation exists
if i still had my games from the 90s on carts it would be an easier sell probably.

Darko

i would but import pricing is insane so eh
Found mine locally thank god! I love it so far, I paired it with a sd2snes cart so I have all my owned games on one cart.

I heard you can use custom firmware to play roms as well but that won’t work for custom chip games like starfox

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Found mine locally thank god! I love it so far, I paired it with a sd2snes cart so I have all my owned games on one cart.

I heard you can use custom firmware to play roms as well but that won’t work for custom chip games like starfox
that sucks.. then you are better off using an snes. (it's not like the sd2snes is cheap) and an upscaler. (the decent ones are pretty cheap)

Darko

that sucks.. then you are better off using an snes. (it's not like the sd2snes is cheap) and an upscaler. (the decent ones are pretty cheap)
Too late but thanks lol .. i have a regular snes too..I do also have a retrotink 5x coming so I might not even need the analogue. I ordered the analogue before I knew I could get the retrotink

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Was super interested in their Pocket, but it sold out within literal seconds and I don't think it's been put up for sale / pre-order again since.

Devices seem awesome for that they are, but I decided a few years ago to go the "original hardware + upscaler" route. So I don't see myself getting any of these anytime soon.

theHFIC

I just got the Mini and Super NT during the latest drop they had a few weeks ago. I picked up the Mega SG at the start of the pandemic. Impressed by the Mega SG, I was able to get a preorder for the Pocket in.

I have the original hardware of all the systems as well but I decided to avoid the hardware upscaler route. I see the positives with them but at this point in my collecting I don't want to have to deal with any type of constant switching around of inputs and configuration on a per system basis. Plus most of the consoles in my collection are originals from when I was younger so they already have buku hours on them. This is just good ol' plug and play stupidity which I am satisfied with.

I am not sure how I feel about Analogue starting to delve into CD based systems with their upcoming Turbo Duo interpretation, but I would be there day one if they did a Sega Saturn.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have all their releases to date, a huge fan of their hardware and always impressed by the quality they produce.
I prefer to use these over my originals as those always feel like they are ticking time bombs in terms of lifespan.

With the pocket getting pushed back I cannot see the Duo getting released this year but maybe I will be surprised!

Last edited:
Top Bottom