• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any fellow kids watching this new Netflix show "13 reasons why"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Nearly done on my second time around.

i do like this show. The story is well told, and has the right amount of red herring and hiding plot points until their reveal.

Watching it again knowing how it turns out is sort of an eye-opener for some plot points.

I disagree with a lot of the more negative review claiming some things, but I can see where they come from. What became a bit more clear was how while it was sort of a death by a thousand cuts situation in some ways, It was also a series of events that lead to the big important ones.

I've seen a lot of people saying that the acts of each character are not as bad, and yes that's true, but they all play a part. For example, I've seen some people say that the hot-or-not list by Alex should have been taken as a compliment, but rewatching that episode it's very explicit, that the act actually boosted her reputation and made her a target for more. In that episode Bryce actually checked her out and grabs her ass as a consequence of the list.

Sure it wasn't meant to have that effect but that is one of the themes of the show in that things may have unintended consequences, just as her tapes have. On that note I also believe that the show isn't meant to glorify Hannah as the only victim, and it often also says that she was wrong also. She was wracked by guilt, on top of her own harassment, and her own downward spiral.

People also claim that she is a bit of a drama queen who often just expected people to notice her pain without actually seeking out te help. And yes, that's true, but aren't a lot of depression sufferers the same? They reach out in unmeaningful ways hoping to be noticed and too afraid or not brave enough to actually just say it. Especially difficult for teenagers who just physiologically lack the faculties to process that kind of emotion.

I'll admit there are some illogical plot points, in my mind Zach is the biggest. Not because of what he does seems not that bad in the scheme of things (he is literally handed a note how she isn't really coping and does nothing about it - kind of a reach out for help situation), but more how he seems so eager to not be found out as much as some of the others. But even to that end, Hannah did say he had his own issues with "being alone in a crowd" deal.

The whole story is tragic and I don't think it's meant to paint Hannah as some kind of blameless victim entirely, but that everyone has their side of the story and this happens to be Hannah's for all its good and bads.

Other things that are very clear on a second time around are things like Alex's own downward spiral, and the seemingly meaningless way everyone is super mean to Tyler.

M52B28

Banned
It's more graphic. It's horrible.
Having just finished this series, I can echo this sentiment.

The show is great, and it has its problems like all shows, but overall, the show is great and brings up discussion on very pressing issues in schools before college.

Although the scenes that were shown were graphic, and left me feeling weak, helpless and angry, I am glad that they were shown at this level of detail to drive home the point. What this show does so, so well is the fact that it invokes emotion of another level. It does its job well and doesn't pull punches. I will admit, I laughed at some of the scenes because I thought they were somewhat ridiculous, but overall, this show has left me feeling obligated to be there for people even though everything may be going well for them.

I clicked this show on Netflix because I was bored, but I never thought that it would bring me to tears and have me breathing strangely. Man.

Hopefully, they don't do a second season. This is the sort of show that belongs to remain itself and not have any attempts at revision by adding a season 2.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This show really moved me. Having a daughter entering high school really made it hit home. I was teary eyed almost the entire last episode. I'm glad this got made.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Although the scenes that were shown were graphic, and left me feeling weak, helpless and angry, I am glad that they were shown at this level of detail to drive home the point.

Yup, I really "liked" that about the show. I was left thinking about it for days after I watched it.

It fucked me up in ways few media has done.

Chaplain

A Christian academic takes a look at the show "Thirteen Reasons Why" in a three part podcast.

Part 1: Right-click to save this file

Is Opting Out an Option? Hope Beyond the Narrow Confines of the Self, Part 1: The Dangers of Comfort

From 13 Reasons Why to S-Town, the topic of suicide is fast becoming a mainstay in popular culture. 13 Reasons Why offers a particularly robust challenge to the carefree individualism that frequently characterizes our thinking. But why are we so preoccupied with self-destruction in the first place? After all, we're healthier, more connected, and more comfortable than we've ever been. Why does our cultural moment seem so very sad? We'll explore these vexing questions in this three-part series. Please don't hold the long title against me.

Part 2: Right-click to save this file

Is Opting Out an Option? Hope Beyond the Narrow Confines of the Self, Part 2: The Inescapably Relational Self

This episode considers the inescapably relational nature of human beings, a fact that runs to our cultural assumptions about rugged individualism.

Part 3: Right-click to save this file

Hope Beyond the Narrow Confines of the Self, Part 3

From 13 Reasons Why to S-Town, the topic of suicide is fast becoming a mainstay in popular culture. 13 Reasons Why offers a particularly robust challenge to the carefree individualism that frequently characterizes our thinking. But why are we so preoccupied with self-destruction in the first place? After all, we're healthier, more connected, and more comfortable than we've ever been. Why does our cultural moment seem so very sad? In the final episode in this series, we consider the Christian response to cultural despair.

Listened to all three parts. Worth a listen.

HiiiLife

Haven't seen this but got the gist of what it's about. Few coworkers in my office didn't like it because they didn't sympathize with suicidal people or thought she was being a sissy.

Really rubbed me the wrong way they just sweep mental issues under the rug and treated it like "get over it" type deal.

mrkgoo

Haven't seen this but got the gist of what it's about. Few coworkers in my office didn't like it because they didn't sympathize with suicidal people or thought she was being a sissy.

Really rubbed me the wrong way they just sweep mental issues under the rug and treated it like "get over it" type deal.

Such is life. Those who aren't affected by mental illness, either their own or others may not fully understand.

To be fair though, the mental illness side of this story isn't really fully explored, and more deals with other aspects. I assumed there would be astrong mental illness factor to it even if not portrayed blatantly so. And to add to that, some of the reasons do seem prettier than others (which is actually a reason for mental illness being a factor - that which may not bother regular people may bother those with such issues).

mantidor

So I'm on episode 8 and this thing is too slow so I spoiled myself with a synopsis, and I'm saddened it went to where it went, it felt... Predictable? For lack of a better word.

since everyone talked about the party I knew something horrible of the level of rape happened in the party, and then voila, I was right. As horrible as it is it's just freaking weird to put this at the level of the gay kid publishing your poem. I get it as a narrative device that builds up, but in reality it doesn't work, you just need the last couple of tapes, where real crimes happened, and Potter what the hell? In what world would a student councilor dismiss rape like that?

I'll finish it but I'm already bothered, you don't need something harrowing at the level of rape to be suicidal, and that is kind of disappointing for me about this show, I was hoping it was 13 mundane things that apart don't amount to much but together are heavy, only then would the dismissal of Potter about Hannah make sense.

mrkgoo

So I'm on episode 8 and this thing is too slow so I spoiled myself with a synopsis, and I'm saddened it went to where it went, it felt... Predictable? For lack of a better word.

since everyone talked about the party I knew something horrible of the level of rape happened in the party, and then voila, I was right. As horrible as it is it's just freaking weird to put this at the level of the gay kid publishing your poem. I get it as a narrative device that builds up, but in reality it doesn't work, you just need the last couple of tapes, where real crimes happened, and Potter what the hell? In what world would a student councilor dismiss rape like that?

I'll finish it but I'm already bothered, you don't need something harrowing at the level of rape to be suicidal, and that is kind of disappointing for me about this show, I was hoping it was 13 mundane things that apart don't amount to much but together are heavy, only then would the dismissal of Potter about Hannah make sense.

It's not equating the 13 acts as equal.

It's a series of events and acts that lead to the culmination. Some of the acts, if isolated, are actually pretty innocence but combined with others it eats away.

Something the show doesn't actually deal with in depth is the notion that she had some level of mental illness to get clinically depressed as she seemed to. For people with issue like that, even small things can seem big, especially during games teenage years too.

mantidor

Something the show doesn't actually deal with in depth is the notion that she had some level of mental illness to get clinically depressed as she seemed to. For people with issue like that, even small things can seem big, especially during games teenage years too.

I finished now, and this really bothered me.

The show honestly is much more about slut shaming, sexual assault and rape, and its problematic (god I hate that word), as I said before, you don't have to go through rape of all things to be suicidal, some people go through worst things and get through, and some kill themselves without anyone every having physically touch them, so... I don't know, suicide is its own can of worms.

And as I said the tapes work as a narrative device, but in actual real life they would be awful, they really made it hard to sympathize with Hannah the way the show intended, because she dragged people equally, even if the events were not "equal", like freaking Clay, what the hell? how can Tony say he killed Hannah, he didn't, and giving the small hints of his own mental problems it makes the whole thing even worse.

Anyway, I don't know what to think about this show honestly, I guess as they said in the epilogue it opens conversation but the case it presents is really poor, you can't guilt people because they didn't help someone who was suicidal, and it seems that is the lesson they wanted, "you could've have helped her", no you couldn't, not the people on the tapes specifically (except Porter I guess, and even then is not as black and white as the synopsis made it sound), they are bunch of kids who don't know any better, the complete dismissal of mental health really hurts whatever message they wanted to convey.

edit: Jesus in the recommended movies after watching this is Fifty Shades of Grey lol Netflix your algorithm sucks.

mrkgoo

I finished now, and this really bothered me.

The show honestly is much more about slut shaming, sexual assault and rape, and its problematic (god I hate that word), as I said before, you don't have to go through rape of all things to be suicidal, some people go through worst things and get through, and some kill themselves without anyone every having physically touch them, so... I don't know, suicide is its own can of worms.

And as I said the tapes work as a narrative device, but in actual real life they would be awful, they really made it hard to sympathize with Hannah the way the show intended, because she dragged people equally, even if the events were not "equal", like freaking Clay, what the hell? how can Tony say he killed Hannah, he didn't, and giving the small hints of his own mental problems it makes the whole thing even worse.

Anyway, I don't know what to think about this show honestly, I guess as they said in the epilogue it opens conversation but the case it presents is really poor, you can't guilt people because they didn't help someone who was suicidal, and it seems that is the lesson they wanted, "you could've have helped her", no you couldn't, not the people on the tapes specifically (except Porter I guess, and even then is not as black and white as the synopsis made it sound), they are bunch of kids who don't know any better, the complete dismissal of mental health really hurts whatever message they wanted to convey.

edit: Jesus in the recommended movies after watching this is Fifty Shades of Grey lol Netflix your algorithm sucks.

All valid points.

Still, as a piece of fiction I did get moved by it and was emotionally invested In the story and characters. I appreciated the narrative.

Can you add a bit more insight than that? What did you not like about the series?

I'll make a longer post when not on mobile, but why the hell did she watch her friend get raped and then make a tape blaming her boyfriend for doing the same damn thing for the same event?

She blamed Clay for not coming back after she cussed him out for doing nothing wrong? Passive aggressive as fuck.

I could go on and on. By the episode 13 came around I found it hard to sympathize even knowing the other bad stuff she went through.

Barren Mind

I'll make a longer post when not on mobile, but why the hell did she watch her friend get raped and then make a tape blaming her boyfriend for doing the same damn thing for the same event?

She blamed Clay for not coming back after she cussed him out for doing nothing wrong? Passive aggressive as fuck.

I could go on and on. By the episode 13 came around I found it hard to sympathize even knowing the other bad stuff she went through.

While I can understand your frustration I think the series did a good job of encapsulating the mind of a teenager. Many teenagers believe the world revolves around them to some degree and a lot of the time they have a skewed perspective of the events happening around them. I agree that some of Hannah's actions were frustrating. But that's what also helped make the entire thing more tragic.

Chris R

Just finished this last night.

I'm glad I stuck with it, because I wasn't really feeling it that much after the first episode. Some great characters, while others felt a little flat. The show also had a terrific selection of music I felt.

It's funny, I consumed the episodes in an Clay like manner, one per night until last night when I watched the final two. Yes, the suicide scene was tough to watch, but for an entire episode I'll say ep. 11 was the roughest for me to watch, probably because I see so much of myself in Clay.

I do wonder what the second season will bring, hoping they don't try to go too cliche with it.

DMVfan123

Banned
I could stomach both rape scenes, but the bathtub scene was almost too much for me to handle. The sound that the blade made after piercing her skin made me pause the scene and take a break for a day before finishing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom