• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any massive single player RPG for PC?

I'm looking for some massive single player RPG for PC, hack and slash type. Don't tell me Morrowind though.

I heard that the last Ultima (IX I think..) was good, and I also heard good things from Gothic 2. What do you think?

Any other massive single player RPG out there?

Gattsu25

Banned
Divinity....mixed opinions...not because the game was bad, to be honest, but because it simply felt like a pre-alpha Diablo II

Pimpbaa

Gothic 2 isn't really all that massive, it's much more linear than it seems. The boring character you are forced to play as doesn't help either. But if you don't mind that, it's alright i guess. I thought Sacred was absolute trash, seemed really amateurish. Divine Divinity was ok, I couldn't get into it personally.

Pimpbaa said:
Gothic 2 isn't really all that massive, it's much more linear than it seems. The boring character you are forced to play as doesn't help either. But if you don't mind that, it's alright i guess. I thought Sacred was absolute trash, seemed really amateurish. Divine Divinity was ok, I couldn't get into it personally.
So what do you suggest me then? :p

Keio

For a Finer World
After Morrowind (+Tribunal and Bloodmood) I have enjoyed:

Knights of the Old Republic 5/5

Sacred 3/5

...and I haven't played, but have heard very good things about:

Divine Divinity and it's sequel Beyond Divinity

Korranator

Kinda of hard to explain. It takes the best parts from games like Shenmue, Zelda, and Morrowind, mixes it all up with weapon creation, rune creation, a focused storyline that changes from your actions and makes a fun game. Unlike other RPGS you don't choose or create a character at the start of the game. You start out as a nameless hero who is in a world with ex-cons, corrupt politicans, egoistical Paladins, and vigilante militas. From there you are introduced to three factions, Paladins, Mages, and Mercenaries and you must choose which one to join. After which you choose how to develop your character stat wise and skills and you can specialize as a melee, ranger, or mage or mixed hybrids.

The days change form day to night, and characters follow a daily pattern. Also, you can't just walk into someone's house or be seen doing so, because the NPCs will warn you to get out, and/or attack you. If you wish to go into to other peoples houses then you must sneak in at night while they are sleeping, and also learn how to pick locks.

It's the attention to detail that makes the game very immersive. It's open-ended game play, but keeps it focused with the storyline. Also, thanks to faction chooses in adds replay value to the game.

Pimpbaa

Korranator said:
Kinda of hard to explain. It takes the best parts from games like Shenmue, Zelda, and Morrowind, mixes it all up with weapon creation, rune creation, a focused storyline that changes from your actions and makes a fun game.

You make it sound like it's better than those games, and it not, far from it.

Unlike other RPGS you don't choose or create a character at the start of the game.

That's a bad thing.

It's the attention to detail that makes the game very immersive. It's open-ended game play, but keeps it focused with the storyline. Also, thanks to faction chooses in adds replay value to the game.

A bit too focused if you ask me. Anybody who like Morrowind will be dissapointed by this game.

Pimpbaa

Littleberu said:
So what do you suggest me then? :p

Maybe KOTOR? Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of quality single player RPGs being released for the PC. Probably because so many are focused on making MMORPGs.

Edit: KOTOR really ain't all that "massive", so I guess that doesn't count.

Korranator

You make it sound like it's better than those games, and it not, far from it.
If you say so, then it must be true........

However, I never said any such thing. Only that Gothic, takes some of the best parts from those games.

That's a bad thing.
See above.

A bit too focused if you ask me. Anybody who like Morrowind will be dissapointed by this game.
Not in the least. Unlike, Morrowind's static world, thinks do change in Gothic. I enjoyed both about the same but see Morrowind's faults. It was too non linear to a point that a lot of people didn't know what to do.

Pimpbaa

Korranator said:
Not in the least. Unlike, Morrowind's static world, thinks do change in Gothic. I enjoyed both about the same but see Morrowind's faults. It was too non linear to a point that a lot of people didn't know what to do.

Yes but the original poster said he was looking for massive single player games. Gothic 2 loses it's massiveness when you realize it's linearity. You are right about Morrowind's static world tho. Seeing everyone in town go about their business in Gothic 2 was neat. Too bad there was only one real town in the game (another aspect that makes the game not really all that massive).

epmode

mac said:
Have you already played Baldur's Gate II? Most massive game I've seen.
this man is correct. i just started playing it for the first time. it's absolutely gargantuan. nice music, too.

Pimpbaa

epmode said:
this man is correct. i just started playing it for the first time. it's absolutely gargantuan. nice music, too.

But he's looking for hack and slash type. BG2 is a more traditional rpg. Definitely massive though, I got more lost in BG2 than I ever did in Morrowind.

Buck

heee haaa i just bought BG II collector's ed. off ebay for $2, have yet to really play it though, got out of the LONG first dungeon which was good but after that it got hella boring.

If you havent played thief 3 yet for the PC you definitely need to, it's no RPG but its damn good and its pretty lengthy.

There is always Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader...

gmw2054.jpg

I've never played it, but I have been told that Icewind Dale is pretty much Baldur's Gate: Hack and Slash. It's probably a bargain title now, so you might want to check it out if you haven't already.

There's no Hack and Slash variety of the Black Isle/Bioware games (on PC), because they're way too strategic. Pausing the game from turn to turn often is a MUST. It's impossible to control a 6 character party against 10 or so foes effectively by just running through and clicking and in Icewind Dale and BGII to a lesser extent, it's often a quick death.

That said, the Icewind Dale series are more combat than story.

Ashitaka

Neverwinter Nights? That's a nice mix between the clickyness of a Diablo and the more strategic elements of a Baldur's Gate. Fairly lengthy quest, though it is quite linear, you won't do any wandering around on your own really.

Oh yeah, try to find the two Dark Sun games that SSI made. I know one is titled Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, but I can't remember the other one. These games are old, but they are full of tactical combat and fun challenges. Also, they are unique from other Dungeons and Dragons computer games because they are set in a ancient Sumerian/Apocalyptic setting instead of a typical medieval-fantasy setting.

BenT

Wizardry 8. It's got a bit more party planning than hack 'n slash, though there's plenty of that too. Great game.

gblues

Banned
Gothic II is kind of a mixed blessing:
+ Decent storyline, above average voice acting
+ Atmospheric music
+ NPC scheduling makes Korrinis seem like a real town
+ A solid real-time combat model

- See that loading screen? I hope you like the artwork because you'll be seeing it a lot (because you die so often in combat)
- Performance goes to shit in the final chapter.

The game is linear, but that doesn't make it a bad game unless you're expecting something totally free-form like Morrowind or Baldur's Gate. But the lack of performance tuning in the final dungeon is really unacceptable. This is really the first game that has crossed the line into unplayability on my admittedy old system (P3 Celeron 800Mhz, 512MB RAM, and 64MB GeForce 2 Ti).

I'd give the game a B+ if you have a beefy(er) rig than mine, or a F if you're as massively out-of-date as I am :)

BTW Gothic 2 is selling new for $19.95 so it's a good value for the money.

Nathan

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
*deleted*

Darksun 1 and 2 can be found on that page... don't know about the legalities of it but the page looks pretty legit...

edit - I have since deleted the link. The Dark Sun games are available for purchase as a part of the Masterpiece Collection available here. They are obviously available elsewhere including the deleted link but I will not provide it anymore being the games are licensed.

Top Bottom