• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any short/long distance runners on GAF?

cormack12

Gold Member
Posted for liberteer liberteer - so @ them if you wanna reply to them

So, anyone here runs? I'm currently hibernating, it's been a slow year, but I would like to pick up the pace already in February, got some half marathons coming. Are you running yourself?

Do you have social profiles on Strava, Runkeeper, Nike+...?

What are your favorite races? I have three marathons and around 20 half marathons under the belt. Not so proud of my times, but I am not the one to brag about that. I simply love running. Anyone else?

Not an avid runner. Ive learned i get bored around 15 miles about. Just keep my running to about <8 miles or short sprints when i do cardio for work outs.

My wifes coworker is a super runner though. Shes into marathons and tris etc. dunno how she (and others) are so passionate for running

Last edited:

God Enel

I was running like 7-8 years ago when I started with sports now I can’t even do it for like 20 minutes. Not because I’m not able to do so but because it’s boring. Don’t know why I can walk like for hours. Go on a hike and so on but running is killing me. I’d rather workout 2 hours than go for a run.

olimariOA

Banned
I know I couldn't run a half marathon, but after listening to Cam Haynes and David Goggins I feel like people who run halfs or even fulls are wusses. Do 200 miles at a time then call me.

Kidding, of course.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have nothing to offer, except respect to anyone good at running. Even when I was a kid in gym class I always sucked at it. Always among the worst in marathon tests. I could hold my own in basketball and team sports or squash, but put me on a track and I'm probably one of the last guys.

Even when I was a kid, I always got shin splints fast too. My breathing might not even be that bad, but the second the shins hurt, my running dropped like a rock.

Papa

Banned
Yeah, I run a bit, though not as much as I used to due to recurring knee injuries. I've never been a super long distance runner, preferring to do ~5 km 4 to 5 times a week. PB for 5 km is 21 mins but currently averaging around 23 :(

petran79

Banned
I was running like 7-8 years ago when I started with sports now I can’t even do it for like 20 minutes. Not because I’m not able to do so but because it’s boring. Don’t know why I can walk like for hours. Go on a hike and so on but running is killing me. I’d rather workout 2 hours than go for a run.

I can swim for 2 hours on sea but find swimming even more boring. I dont run but tried it once and I have the stamina for 1-1,5 hours. Havent tried longer

llien

I actually wanted to run Cologne's full marathon (was into it as a kid, then nothing, now in my early 40th) but a colleague of mine, who at his 59 runs for 2-4 hours a week advised not to. He meant, although it's quite doable after 1 year of training (there are literally "how to prepare for a marathon run in 1 year" guides), it would still quite harm my body.

So, uh, still bodybuilding a bit instead, with occasional crosstrainer activities. :)

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Yeah, I run a bit, though not as much as I used to due to recurring knee injuries. I've never been a super long distance runner, preferring to do ~5 km 4 to 5 times a week. PB for 5 km is 21 mins but currently averaging around 23 :(

Yeah I did distance back in the day too. Last time I seriously ran was Fall of last year. Still have my endurance, but it has been a while.

God Enel

I actually wanted to run Cologne's full marathon (was into it as a kid, then nothing, now in my early 40th) but a colleague of mine, who at his 59 runs for 2-4 hours a week advised not to. He meant, although it's quite doable after 1 year of training (there are literally "how to prepare for a marathon run in 1 year" guides), it would still quite harm my body.

So, uh, still bodybuilding a bit instead, with occasional crosstrainer activities. :)

You’re from cologne? :messenger_heart::messenger_fistbump:

partime

We had a Nike+ NeoGaf group years back, it was a fun community, but it became less active and I moved over to Strava.

Enjoy running short & long distances.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I used to run a lot but I’m the same as other people and tend to get bored after a while, unless there is some nice scenery. Should take it up again as I’m trying to lose weight though

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Two years ago I did my first 10k, and then a few months later my first half marathon. Last year I ran two half marathons. I probably need to lose about 60 pounds (realistically) to be in good enough shape to run a full marathon, but I've been working on that.

I can't wait til the weather gets warmer (around March here) and I can start hitting the trails again - one in particular I like to run is about 15 miles out and back along the ocean and it's absolutely amazing. Running on the treadmill in my garage in the winter is such a bummer. I'll probably end up doing a few halfs in 2019.

eot

Banned
I've done two half marathons, but I'm not good. Hope to break 2h next time but I feel like I should already have started training.

highrider

Banned
Great exercise but difficult to continue as you age, particularly if you are a larger framed person.

In the military I loved running. It’s much more fun at the crack of dawn with a platoon of lights running in formation. It’s almost kind of noble. I just get too bored running, so I transitioned in to basketball for my cardi b.

Edit: I began to dabble in distance running in the Army, I had a platoon leader who was a distance runner and I would run with his group a lot. He was the most fit running dude I’ve ever seen. He died of a massive cardiac arrest at 28 running a marathon. At the time I thought I was nowhere near his condition and it scared me. He was also a good friend. Distance running is serious business. I see a lot of overweight people in cross-fit and running half marathons.. You have to work up to that, and even then there is some inherent danger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom