• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone care to explain FLCL (Fooly Cooly) to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunstarhero

First off, this was one awesome anime - glad I have the set - but good god in heaven, wtf is going on?!?!?

I just finished watching all 6 episodes, and while I get some parts... I feel like I'm not fully "getting it"... I plan on watching it again (and again and again etc.) but I'm interested if anyone have some deep metaphores about it.

Or should I just accept it as not making much sense...kinda like Big O :D

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Honestly I don't think there's any real gratifying explanation to it. It's an anime that sustains itself on sheer visual amazement alone. It's short, doesn't outstay it's welcome, is obviously weird, and just plain looks neat.

Belfast

Its basically about Naota growing up through the vehicle of becoming intimate with women. Canty (TV dude) represents his older brother and fills a void for him. His dad isn't going to guide him into manhood and his brother took off for the US, leaving him sort of lost on his way to adulthood. Momimi brings him through all of this while Haruko basically serves as an outside force well...forcing him to accept these things.

I mean, there's a lot more to it, of course, but that's the gist of it. He's growing up and learning how to be with girls, which is a key part of becoming a man.

gunstarhero said:
First off, this was one awesome anime - glad I have the set - but good god in heaven, wtf is going on?!?!?

I just finished watching all 6 episodes, and while I get some parts... I feel like I'm not fully "getting it"... I plan on watching it again (and again and again etc.) but I'm interested if anyone have some deep metaphores about it.

Or should I just accept it as not making much sense...kinda like Big O :D

Here is how I came to love it.

I was watching Cartoon Network with my roommate, it came on.

A half hour later, we were scratching our heads, and wanting to see the next episode.

Its a good show, just enjoy it and try not to think too much.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
FLCL makes sense (the second time around). Big O does not.

Anyway, yeah, it's mainly a coming of age story. Growing up, sexual awakening, the awkwardness of adolescence.

Just done as crazily as humanly possible.

You really do have to watch it multiple times, though. Even after seeing it for the third or fourth time, I was still seeing things where I said "ohhhhh, that's what happened there."

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
MetatronM said:
FLCL makes sense (the second time around). Big O does not.

Anyway, yeah, it's mainly a coming of age story. Growing up, sexual awakening, the awkwardness of adolescence.

Just done as crazily as humanly possible.

You really do have to watch it multiple times, though. Even after seeing it for the third or fourth time, I was still seeing things where I said "ohhhhh, that's what happened there."

Yeah, I really really don't understand why Big O is so popular. You've seen one episode and you've basically got the jest of all of them...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
damn_girl.gif

:lol!

Matlock said:
JackFrost2012: Lupin disagrees.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm okay that's a tough call. Lupin is pretty fucking badass. Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite anime series but it wasn't until a few years later I realized they were just doing "Lupin fanfic in space."

However, I would argue FLCL is the only anime "about" something deeper which actually manages to pull it off without being preachy/moralizing/stupid like 99.9% of anime. Unfortunately it's so good at pulling off its meaning in a subtle and creative way that a lot of people just think "OMG TEH WACKY!"

Matlock

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm okay that's a tough call. Lupin is pretty fucking badass. Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite anime series but it wasn't until a few years later I realized they were just doing "Lupin fanfic in space."

You are truly enlightened for coming to that conclusion on your own. God bless you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom