• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else buy a PS3 just to watch movies?

Johnas

I'd like to use this thread to get slightly OT for a second...

Is it correct to say that HD-DVD = 720p and Blu-ray = 1080p? Or is it apples and oranges here? I was having a conversation at work today and I got to wondering. Can every Blu-ray movie be viewed at 1080p as long as your TV can display 1080p?

On topic, I will be getting a PS3 soon but primarily for gaming, although I do plan on buying a few movies.

Struct09

Johnas said:

Is it correct to say that HD-DVD = 720p and Blu-ray = 1080p? Or is it apples and oranges here? I was having a conversation at work today and I got to wondering. Can every Blu-ray movie be viewed at 1080p as long as your TV can display 1080p?

On topic, I will be getting a PS3 soon but primarily for gaming, although I do plan on buying a few movies.

HD-DVDs carry 1080p as well

I haven't heard of any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies not having a resolution of 1920x1080, but I haven't paid that close of attention.

Johnas said:

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both do 1080P. Every movie on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD can be viewed at 1080P if your TV supports 1080P.

madmook

I love watching upscaled DVD's, and my total movie-watching time is probably higher than game-time.

On a related note, does anybody think that image quality for a movie (both blu-ray and upscaled dvds) is sharper, more detailed at 1080i than 720p? I have a 720p LCD tv, but for some reason 1080i seems better... AM I CRAZY?!?!

Leewan

MWS Natural said:
I think the majority of people with blu-ray movies and no games own a 360 or a Wii. Doesn't seem too mind boggling to me.

I fall into that camp but it doesn't mean I don't want to play games on it. I already played resistance when I bought mine and uncharted took me two days. I have not played heavenly sword yet because I'm still trying to get through the 360 games that came out and the demo seemed repetitive. Blu-ray and MGS4 are the reasons I did not sell it a couple of weeks after I bought it. IF MGS4 is as entertaining as MGS1 my purchase is justified, if the story is as gimmicky as MGS2 then I've essentially bought another blu-ray movie that has a metal gear mini-game between scenes and my game total will still be zero, unless I buy DMC4 on PS3 instead of 360.

Leewan

madmook said:
I love watching upscaled DVD's, and my total movie-watching time is probably higher than game-time.

On a related note, does anybody think that image quality for a movie (both blu-ray and upscaled dvds) is sharper, more detailed at 1080i than 720p? I have a 720p LCD tv, but for some reason 1080i seems better... AM I CRAZY?!?!

1080i looks better to me on movies where the action isn't moving too fast.

madmook said:

For movies, 1080i = 1080p - you can't tell the difference. So naturally, 1080i for movies looks better than 720p

"There Is No Difference Between 1080p and 1080i

My bold-printed, big-lettered breaker above is a little sensationalistic, but, as far as movies are concerned, this is basically true. Here's why. Movies (and most TV shows) are shot at 24 frames per second (either on film or on 24-frame-per-second HD cameras). Every TV sold in the United States has a refresh rate of 60 hertz. This means that the screen refreshes 60 times per second. In order to display 24-frame-per-second content on a display that essentially shows 60 frames per second, you need to make up or create new frames. This is accomplished by a method called 3:2 pulldown (or, more accurately, 2:3 pulldown). It doubles the first frame of film, triples the second frame, doubles the third frame, and so on, creating a 2-3-2-3-2-3 sequence. (Check out Figure 1 for a more colorful depiction.) So, the new frames don't have new information; they are just duplicates of the original film frames. This process converts 24-frame-per-second film to be displayed on a 60-Hz display.

It's Deinterlacing, Not Scaling

HD DVD and Blu-ray content is 1080p/24. If your player outputs a 60-Hz signal (that is, one that your TV can display), the player is adding (creating) the 3:2 sequence. So, whether you output 1080i or 1080p, it is still inherently the same information. The only difference is in whether the player interlaces it and your TV deinterlaces it, or if the player just sends out the 1080p signal directly. If the TV correctly deinterlaces 1080i, then there should be no visible difference between deinterlaced 1080i and direct 1080p (even with that extra step). There is no new information—nor is there more resolution, as some people think. This is because, as you can see in Figure 1, there is no new information with the progressive signal. It's all based on the same original 24 frames per second. "

http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/1106gear/

wazoo said:
Warhawk, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet, SSHD

not bad, since I bought it in september

still waiting for the 3rd parties game to go down in price (Oblivion, COD4, ..)

no BR, but it is an amazing DVD player and I use it for that as well

I bought Oblivion for 20 bucks brand new on Amazon, it was the regular edition though.

DarthWaiter said:
HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both do 1080P. Every movie on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD can be viewed at 1080P if your TV supports 1080P.

Not all HD DVD players and movies are 1080p though, some are only 1080i

Redd

Still haven't watched a single blu-ray movie on my PS3. Funny because the blockbuster is down the street and all but I just don't want to. At least I finally got around to mailing in the form for the free 5 blu-ray movie deal.........even though the pickings were shit.

Raistlin

DarthWaiter said:
Before the PS3 came out, a lot of people prophesied that the PS3 would take off similar to the PS2 because of Blu-Ray on the PS3 a la DVD on PS2.

Well here I am, owner of a PS3 with 30 Blu-Ray movies and not a single PS3 videogame.

So I'm asking, any others on here with a PS3 and not a single game for it?

Well ... I definitly have games for it (plenty now) ... but my initial reason for purchasing it was BD (at least it was the priority).

I knew games would come, but I typically don't game nearly as much as I used to anyways.

andycapps

Leewan said:
I fall into that camp but it doesn't mean I don't want to play games on it. I already played resistance when I bought mine and uncharted took me two days. I have not played heavenly sword yet because I'm still trying to get through the 360 games that came out and the demo seemed repetitive. Blu-ray and MGS4 are the reasons I did not sell it a couple of weeks after I bought it. IF MGS4 is as entertaining as MGS1 my purchase is justified, if the story is as gimmicky as MGS2 then I've essentially bought another blu-ray movie that has a metal gear mini-game between scenes and my game total will still be zero, unless I buy DMC4 on PS3 instead of 360.

Nice avatar, Go Dawgs!

To to the OP, I bought my PS3 mainly for games, but also for the fact it plays Blu-ray movies. I have 7 or 8 of them.

I originally bought my PS3 to only play games but now I own about 40 BDs vs 10 PS3 games. Not that I'm complaining. The PS3 is the best bluray player and is future proof unlike all of the stand-alone players. I will eventually buy a stand-alone player once the spec is finalized but the PS3 makes for an absolutely amazing stopgap BD player till then.

Dante said:
Games, games, and more games, although I do watch movies on it as well, and it's nice to know I can do that and not be risking my systems stability.

I know I'm sure not risking my systems stability, 2hr's on then back to off when the movies over:lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
AranhaHunter said:
Wow, your dad hummm made a mistake :lol :lol
I know, it was such a fuck up, I wish he had consulted with me first. Anyways, I only touched the PS3 for gaming once, Lair and I enjoyed it.

SAFOOL

2 PS3'S 50 BLU-RAYS & NO GAMES. On a side note I'm looking to sell one ps3 since stand alones are dropping in price and Blu looks to win the format war.

Top Bottom