• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else creeped the **** out by old cartoons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
From the bad animation, to the blatant racist overtones, style of the drawings, voiceovers, and music there's just something about old cartoons that have always creeped me out. Even now I'm watching Astro Boy episodes on Adult Swim and know it's bound to give me nightmares, although I'm fascinated with how many anime stylings this show basically created that are still apparent to this day. WW2 propaganda cartoons are the worst of them all.

1930's style Micky Mouse will murder us all.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
I think the use of these cartoons on TV's in modern horror movies has convinced you they are creepy.

tedtropy said:
Even now I'm watching Astro Boy episodes on Adult Swim and know it's bound to give me nightmares, although I'm fascinated with how many anime stylings this show basically created that are still apparent to this day. WW2 propaganda cartoons are the worst of them all.

1930's style Micky Mouse will murder us all.
Japanese anime hates black people. ESPECIALLY the older stuff.

I personally love the old cartoons. All that stuff from Betty Boop and Popeye, the early Warners stuff, MGM, Terry Toons... They are a pretty important piece of American pop-culture in a historic sense.They are not something people should be ****ing with just because attitudes about what is acceptable concerning race relations has changed. As racist as some of these cartoons are, by editing them well meaning people are erasing many of the contributions of black Americans to the foundational years of animation from the pages of history.

http://www.deanesmay.com/posts/1145252830.shtml

You know, I went back and watched some episodes of Ren & Stimpy (probably not as old as what you have in mind) and I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how I wasn't mortally creeped out the fist time I watched them as a kid.

J2 Cool

I don't know, I love old cartoons. Talent-wise, they're hard to match. I prefer the styles of then too, to the limited flat animation today. There definitely was racism though. It's just a weird mixture of cartoonists back then being satirical in a very morally objectionable way. Everything was exaggerated to what they thought was as humorous as can be. It's great for iconic, archetype characters, but I guess it's creepy to see what is racism stuck in front of your eyes so cheerfully.

The music, animation stylings, and Mel Blanc's voices though? I love that stuff.

tedtropy

PhoenixDark said:

Not to turn this into a Mormon discussion thread, but it's errie how accurate that video is, even while it is blatant anti-Mormon presentation. The modern Mormon church actually does alot of great things for their community and in outside missionary work, but they've also done quite abit to hide their past and plain bizzare origins, from denouncing polygamy to outright changing passages in their original texts. Their explanation behind the origin of black-skinned individuals is particularly unsettling. The following clip takes the same cartoon and cites its sources as well as some of the areas where it's inaccuarate, and more frighteningly, where it is accurate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrHN6LtxWHc

And yep, Joseph Smith is cited as saying...

"I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him, but the Latter-Day Saints never ran away from me yet."

here in mexico they still air the porky pig cartoons where they make fun of africa and africans.

so, you scared of everything people have to first try to make the scare worldwide and not only on the us

JDSN

Banned
bradykids.jpg

"FOR ****S SAKE STOP SMILING MOTHERFOKKER!"

xsarien

daedsiluap
In June I went to a screening of "banned" Warner Bros. cartoons that were tossed into a figurative cold storage because of incredibly racist overtones.

I left the showing thinking, "You know, maybe it was just for the best that these things no longer see the light of day." The World War II ones can be explained away, much like Disney did with their DVD release of their propaganda shorts, but the ones with overt racism towards, say, blacks?

Yeah, it does more harm than good to these characters to show those in any context.

tedtropy

Blackace said:

I watch stuff like that and I'm reminded of how offended I am when I hear some older people talk about they "wish things were when they were young". While I appreciate that there is some sort of blind nostalgic innocence associated with the era I often can't help but reply with "oh, you mean when segregation still existed?". This generally results in the abrupt end of a conversation or a scorn look. It's crazy to think that this was a common view of an "enlightened" nation not really that many years ago.

J2 Cool

sonikokaruto said:
here in mexico they still air the porky pig cartoons where they make fun of africa and africans.

The travel episodes are something of a specific case though. Think about this. Everything was caricatured. Goofy goes to a sporting event, hockey, it's pure chaos. Fighting everywhere. Bugs goes to the artic and again it's caricatured. Complete with penguins, icebergs, Intuit. They had American Indians, old west scumbags, Homeless People, deep Southern bigots, marooned cannibals, Japanese, Speedy Gonzales, Pepe La Pew, and so on. It's the nature of the beast they created. Stepping over the line, and back constantly.

I understand banning some cartoons, but with others it's inevitably a part of the show. They either are allowed to exist or not. They have hundreds of apologies to make and nobody alive to make them anymore.

Btw, the cartoon Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs, from wikipedia:

Clampett intended Coal Black as both a parody of Snow White and a dedication to the all-black jazz musical films popular in the early 1940s (i.e. Cabin in the Sky, Stormy Weather, etc.). In fact, the idea to produce Coal Black came to Clampett after he saw Duke Ellington's 1941 musical revue Jump for Joy, and Ellington and the cast suggested Clampett make a black musical cartoon. The Clampett unit made a couple of field trips to Club Alabam, a Los Angeles area black club, to get a feel for the music and the dancing, and Clampett cast popular radio actors as the voices of his main three characters. The main character, So White, is voiced by Vivian Dandridge, sister of Dorothy. Their mother, Ruby Dandridge, voices the Wicked Queen. Zoot Watson is the voice of "Prince Chawmin'". The other characters, including the Sebben Dwarfs, are voiced by standard Warner voice artist Mel Blanc.

Originally, Clampett wanted an all-black band to score the cartoon, the same way Max and Dave Fleischer had Cab Calloway and His Orchestra score the Betty Boop cartoons Minnie the Moocher, The Old Man of the Mountain, and their own version of Snow White. However, Schlesinger refused, and the black band Clampett had hired, Eddie Beals and His Orchestra, only recorded the music for the final kiss sequence. The rest of the film was scored, as was standard for Warner cartoons, by Carl W. Stalling.

The cartoon is still wrong. But it's an example of being more so confused by the times than being a personally blatant, deliberately racist, cartoon. Their approach for any cartoon was to exaggerate and push as much as possible. What came out was decidely racist, but it didn't initiate through a racist effort. Anyway, I still think it should probably remain banned, or released only in a musuem or archive.

gwiz210

Oh god, so it isnt just me? Yeah I hate old cartoons too. They freak me out and I couldnt ever describe why until I read your post.

Nameless

Those races ass cartoons still creep me out. I'm sure glad I didn't live back then when crap like that was considered children's prorgramming.

tedtropy said:
I watch stuff like that and I'm reminded of how offended I am when I hear some older people talk about they "wish things were when they were young". While I appreciate that there is some sort of blind nostalgic innocence associated with the era I often can't help but reply with "oh, you mean when segregation still existed?". This generally results in the abrupt end of a conversation or a scorn look. It's crazy to think that this was a common view of an "enlightened" nation not really that many years ago.
2nd'ed x *

bu..bu..bu... but the golden age...

****, that shit gets on my nerves every time I hear it.

hXc_thugg

I forgot how psychadelic these older cartoons are. I may never need to take drugs again if I build a strong enough collection of these things.

i don't know why you people are scared.

1 . it's not from today.
2 . it has been around 60 years since these were done.
3 . if you asked any black person on those days about it, sure, they would be pissed, but they would not be making a scandal about it. It was wrong then and it is wrong now, but now you just amplify it.

Lobster

Banned
Yes because the voice synching and the colour is ruined thanks to new gen cartoons..screw you new gen cartoons!

I love watching the old cartoons. Especially the short ones, they tend to be quite creative. I don't really like the established franchise ones but they can be entertaining.

I like them. They come from a time when animation and entertainment was freer in general. If anything, they're good lenses into past society and culture.

Economan said:
Not quite ancient, but certainly old and creepy.
The Mysterious Stranger

This is from The Adventures of Mark Twain, and I really don't know how the creators thought this would be appropriate for kids.

That was a completely bizarre show. I could see small children being very scared of that show because of the surrealism.

dabig2 said:
Damn, pretty cold times back then

racist-cartoon.gif
It's all fun and games until you people dig up history's ugliest artifacts.

What is up with Sebastian the Crab in The Little Mermaid? Am I the only one reading that as racist undertones?

EDIT - I also decided that gif would make for some belly-laughter satire in a product for today. Ripped right out of the show and put on a television presentation of a misinterpretation or exaggeration of WWII.

J2 Cool

dabig2 said:
Damn, pretty cold times back then

racist-cartoon.gif

That was frickin awful. Maybe Clampett thought it was edgy humor or something, and deliberately played on stereotypes like comics today do. I dunno.

Midgets half price made me laugh though I'm sad to admit. :( And Sebastian the Crab racist? What??

Wes

venison crêpe
There's an episode of Tom and Jerry where Tom thinks he dies.... freaks me the **** out. It was on a tape I had of several cartoons... I couldn't even look at it when the tape was fast-forwarding through it.

Dolphin

Banned
None of these are creepy to me at all, but I'm shocked every time I see modern era cartoons with heavy black stereotypes. Like someone said before, these cartoons are very antithetical to the popular notion that the world is "always getting worse".

And contrary to what someone else said before, the black stereotypes in these cartoons are very different from the stereotypes used for other people. The black stereotypes are inhuman to the point where they bear more similarity to animals from the cartoons than people. It's very sinister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom