• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else dislikes Nintendo's current love for washed out color schemes?

Dynomutt

Op you should at least waited a few months. BOTW is the bae' right now!
tumblr_ol5rucduS91roayano1_500.jpg

Is this vibrant enough for you?!?!?!

So from switch to FB to imgur the compression sucks.. but it should be enough to demonstrate. Yeah the games weather can get hazy at times, but it's not a constant and personally I feel it adds to the aesthetic of the game. There's heaps of colour in BotW and the game is stunning.

Lawd this game

I think the fog is egregious in Breath of the Wild because it's layered over really low resolution textures. The aliasing, bad texture filtering, and lower resolution don't make matters any better.

what makes you believe the first technique applies to both but not the second one? And what was even your point of that quoted sentence then? Seems you're just moving the goalpost.

Well as someone said before, the camel is in a sandstorm and the elephant is in the middle of the water. That and the elephant shocks anything that gets near it. You were saying there's other tricks when the person you quoted already stated that it would look like a blown up model on a handheld.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Lame foggy version:
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/wOektjR.png[/img]

Lamp approved superior version:
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/CgyeKZ4.jpg[/img]

spekkeh

Banned
....try to read directly after that

I mean birds are just one example, the important thing is to have a scaled anchor visual if only momentarily so that the mind can properly scale the object, can be passing birds, but it can also be grass, trees, mushrooms on a cliff, etc.
Sure but it's not either/or. Who knows whether the trees are tiny too. Compound effects, which Zelda employs a lot of, is more powerful than a single one.

Well as someone said before, the camel is in a sandstorm and the elephant is in the middle of the water. That and the elephant shocks anything that gets near it. You were saying there's other tricks when the person you quoted already stated that it would look like a blown up model on a handheld.

It would look like a blown up model with no visuals trick to help scaling. Anchoring a scaling visual aid is one way to combat this sensation of blown up model. That's how Star Wars space ships worked. Putting those tiny models on the backdrop of a planet. I haven't seen anything posted by you explaining why it only applies to art.

Sure but it's not either/or. Who knows whether the trees are tiny too. Compound effects, which Zelda employs a lot of, is more powerful than a single one.

Don't think anyone is saying its an either/or situation, just that there's other ways than haze to help visualize scaling

13randO

I can see where OP is coming from in BoTW at least. Whenever I take a photo for the Hyrule compendium, some of them become super washed out because of the time of day. I end up having to retake them more than I'd like.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Breath of the Wild can be really vibrant at times. Sometimes you enter a large field on a clear day and the green is just gorgeous. Also, Chu Chu's and elemental Keese are cartoonishly colorful. A lot of the accent colors really pop. When it looks washed out, it seems to typically be a weather effect or, when viewing from a vantage point, a draw distance issue where they employed a haze to cover it up somewhat.

As for Super Mario Odyssey...that game is very colorful, especially in the desert world. The food world is colorful in another way. Even in the city, there's still colorful elements that pop.

So far, Nintendo has released Zelda, 1-2-Switch, and Snipperclips, which are all colorful, vibrant games in many regards and at least at the industry average. Up next is MK8D and ARMS, which are also colorful. After that is Splatoon 2. The only washed-out color scheme I see on the horizon for Switch from Nintendo might be Fire Emblem Warriors, a game I can't fully judge yet because we've seen very little of it.

ChrisD

I actually really like the HDR photography someone linked on the last page. The Lamp's alteration of the Temple of Time and even OP's "fix" to Mario Odyssey looks nice, too.

And I also hate the rather persistent filter in BotW. Also thought my Switch screen just sucked and was washed out, as my luck must suck because I kid you not, every time I play in handheld mode it must have been cloudy. It wasn't until I booted up Splatoon 2's Testfire one night and realized it must just be Zelda.

But that said, Nintendo's whole first-party output lacking color? Nah man. BotW even has a lot of color, I guess some people (me included in this one) just don't like a design choice with a dumb fog that's screwing with the colors. Glad Splatoon 2 got posted early on. There's your popping colors, right there. You nuts in the regard of a bland art Nintendo First Party, OP.

Raysoul

Since the OP doesn't specifically target BotW, I can't say I agree. OP hasn't played Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D world, or Splatoon, and those are very colorful games. It doesn't help him that there are screenshots here that shows variety in color grading for BotW.

OP's agenda is to shitpost Nintendo. Correct me if I am wrong.

exfatal

Just realized my pictures weren't even in full RBG just turned it on and god damn its like night and day and i already thought it looked great.

C7bLKZ2U8AEB1ak.jpg:large

C7bLTSQU4AEDnBX.jpg:large

argh uploading it through twitter though does the image quality no favors to be honest

I hope people aren't mistakenly crushing their blacks by choosing the wrong combination of settings. You'll get a more "colorful" image, but you'll lose color accuracy and a ton of detail.

Memento

I dont agree with the thread's premise (that every recent Nintendo game is washed out), but BOTW definitely looks washed out to me and I really dont like it. It makes it very bland looking.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I am seeing this trend with Nintendo games where the color schemes are washed out and they seem to be overdoing the... bloom lighting? (WW HD), this seems to be continuing with BotW and the new Mario game, i think it does their games a disservice. They would look much better with more contrast while dialing down the bloom lighting.

I am adding a few comparisons between Switch and PS3 games as examples.

Switch:

PS3:

Thoughts?

Yes

Burny

KH3 (UE4)

nN91kgg.jpg

Of course, it all boils down to developer's choices but I personally hate the "grey filter" trend. It's the new piss filter to me.

I find that example perfectly fine tbh.. It's still colorful and the light haze helps perception of distance, while still letting all colors show.

I have to agree with the complaint at BotW however, the haze is oftentimes excessive. Even worse, it's not just in the distance, but also between the camera and Link for what sometimes feels like half the time. At least at that distance one wouldn't expect the haze to completely grey out the image.

Minor visual niggle, still very much overdone imo. Mario Odyssey on the other hand seems to tone it done significantly and is therefore perfectly fine.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Pics that I find "washed out" from the BotW screenshots thread

c62locjuwaahqa3.jpgla03l0n.jpg

Pic that I find the colors not washed out

2017031017354700_F1_C11_A22_FAEE3_B82_F21_B330_E1_B786_A3.jpg
The part that saddens me is that the game looks so good when the weather clears up and that nasty haze is lifted like in the second pic. Wish they would have used that effect less frequently and just reserved it for rare weather instead of applying it to most scenarios like it currently is.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's not haze though. That's bloom from a very bright sun.

Also that's a great fairy scene iirc. She's trying to kiss him.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Botw looks washed out on the Switch screen but it looks perfect on my Panny ST60. Guess Nintendo designs their games for plasma;)

The temple of time feels like an imposing structure in the first shot and a maquette in the second one.

This particular shot doesn't evoke anything to me. I don't feel like the distance or angle serve the atmospheric scattering or scale well, and it wouldn't work as suggestive fog because the effect is too uniform.

Top Bottom