• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feeling physically sick from the Witness?

Played for a few hours the other night and definitely felt a little off. Which surprised me, only one game has ever made me motion sick (Flower).

I can't say for sure but I don't think the FOV has anything to do with it, at least in my case. I feel like it's something about the slow start to movements (slow at first when you move, slow at first when you turn).

I'd love a toggle to make your move speed more digital, less analog. I have a feeling it'd sort it out for me - and would probably be way easy to patch in. A crosshair wouldn't hurt either.

I can't say for sure but I don't think the FOV has anything to do with it, at least in my case. I feel like it's something about the slow start to movements (slow at first when you move, slow at first when you turn).

I think it's the combination of non-linear movement acceleration combined with the slightly fishbowl FOV, in addition to the lack of any reticle to focus on and the bloom making everything look a bit fuzzy. The game basically simulates being on a lurching boat in the midst of rolling waves, and so people are basically getting seasick.

Sulik2

Getting some of the plus puzzles made me feel really quesy. Has Blow addressed looking into nausea at all in public yet?

tuxfool

Banned
I think it's the combination of non-linear movement acceleration combined with the slightly fishbowl FOV, in addition to the lack of any reticle to focus on and the bloom making everything look a bit fuzzy. The game basically simulates being on a lurching boat in the midst of rolling waves, and so people are basically getting seasick.

I don't get seasick (in most conditions).

This game at default settings does. It isn't nearly as bad as Talos though.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
I just wanted to share my temporary fix for feeling ill during gameplay.

lBLLMKD.jpg

I basically downloaded and configured a free program called "Custom Desktop Logo" that can overlay images on your screen. I added a 36 x 36 image of a white dot, exactly the same size as the in-game tracer dot (at least on my monitor), to act as a permanent cursor.

Here's the link to my configured program folder, including reticle in different sizes. No install required.

Here's the link to the .png files of the reticles I made if you wanna configure the program yourself.

I didn't want to wait for whatever fix is being worked on and adding this cursor seems to do the trick for me.

And I guess you could always physically draw or stick something onto your monitor.

EDIT: I fixed the download links.

mattp

so, just played over an hour via remote play with the framerate locked to 30fps and i feel pretty much fine
i'd say that was a success

I did this in all 3 uncharteds so I could gun down enemies while being behind cover, without actually coming up to aim.
That was probably unnecessary - they wanted to encourage the use of blind fire (suits the character/style) so the aim-assist was turned up very high. As long as you were vaguely pointed at someone it would hit.

SomTervo

Thanks for all of the explanations.

Could be numerous things. It doesn't affect me but I'm aware of it.

Low FOV. Sitting too close to screen. No crosshair (apparently, that's a new one for me). Low / weird sensitivity. Possibly some of these things mixed with 60fps? Bloom possibly. I actually get headaches and eye strain from chromatic aberration from my experience.

No crosshair is a very common cause of motion sickness. It's a massive,
massive
barrier in VR as well. Every VR dev is struggling with it and they're having to develop lots of in-game UI elements to fill in for the 'crosshair anchor' function.

zsynqx

Was completely fine for the first couple of days and played for hours finishing a large portion of the game. Woke up this morning with a pounding headache, blurry vision and bloodshot eyes. It physically hurts looking at my laptop screen right now even with the brightness adjusted all the way down. Like wtf is happening to me lol

Haven't experienced any nausea so probably unrelated to other people's issues and just my fault for binging on the game, so I'll let you off this time Blow.

Firebrand

Tried the game last night and yes, I felt a bit sick after a while and had to stop, hah.

Edit: Took me no more than 5 minutes today before I had to quit.

EBreda

Unfinished Swan and Ethan Carter got me good too. Makes it impossible to play without falling ill. I did fine on Mirror'sEdge tho.

I didn't buy The Witness yet and I doubt I will with all this complaining. And I've read changing FoV is not a viable option since some of the puzzles require specific views of the scenery, which would be affected, is that right?

Unfinished Swan and Ethan Carter got me good too. Makes it impossible to play without falling ill. I did fine on Mirror'sEdge tho.

I didn't buy The Witness yet and I doubt I will with all this complaining. And I've read changing FoV is not a viable option since some of the puzzles require specific views of the scenery, which would be affected, is that right?
I'd be surprised if that was the case with the talk of VR support.

Aske

That sucks. I hope a slider is patched in for fov.

I got motion sickness one time and that was with The Darkness 2. It was so weird how motion sickness kicked in for that. I've never had motion sickness before that, and I've done a ton of relatively motion sickness inducing things.

I never get motion sick, and typically have no issues with games; but Fallout 3 made me feel awful. Turned out it was the green on black Pipboy. Changed the text to white, and had no further problems. I wonder what ot wasn about The Darkness 2 for you. I had no issues, but was it a widespread issue with the game? And of course I also wonder if I'd get Witness-sick.

Jimrpg

I get sick all the time in FPS but I impulse bought this anyway because I wanted to play it.

Got quesy after 35 minutes...

Sucks too because it makes it very very hard to concentrate on solving anything when you want to throw up.

Gonna take a while to complete it.

My advice to others - if you get sick in FPS, you'll get it in this game too, just depends on how badly you want to play it!

mattp

so, just played over an hour via remote play with the framerate locked to 30fps and i feel pretty much fine
i'd say that was a success

quoting this for emphasis

seriously, anyone with a vita (i realize theres not many of us), try playing the game via remote play and set the settings in the remote play app on the vita to standard framerate (it locks the stream to 30fps)

made a world of difference compared to on my tv
i pretty much can't play any first person games, and i was 95% fine playing this way last night. felt a liiiiiittle woozy afterwards, but not enough to be an issue really

Vacant

Neo Member
This used to happen to me all the time when I was playing Turok the Dinosaur hunter on N64, back in the day. Occasionally it still happens when I'm playing certain games on my HTPC.

Since I was a child, I've always just chalked it up to motion sickness, but recently I was doing some research and came across this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopite_syndrome

Interesting.

I've played about 5 hours and haven't gotten sick at all. In fact, in my history of gaming only two games have made me sick to the point of taking Dramamine before playing.

Killzone Shadowfall (would start feeling sick 30m after start)

Metro 2033 (would start feeling sick 3min after start. even Dramamine couldn't help with this one. Had to sell the game a few hours in.)

akileese

My wife couldn't watch me play longer than five seconds.

My wife watched me play for about three minutes and then went to go lay down because she felt dizzy and nauseous. I stopped playing 15 minutes later for the same reason. I didn't have the issue when stationery or walking. Only when sprinting.

Neoweee

The endgame is straight-up seizure inducing. The game deserves pages and pages of epilepsy warnings before the title screen, like the old days.

Medical conditions that will make the game impossible:
- Color blindness
- Epilepsy
- Motion Sickness / FOV sensitivity

I've played the game (PS4) for good few hours and I'm fortunate enough not to experience any kind of disorientation at all. In fact, it was this thread that made me extremely weary prior to the purchase. Maybe it's because I play in a monitor and not a full sized television.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
I am wondering if anyone has heard when an update might come for PS4?

I don't want to have to wait so long where I forget everything I learned.

Sande

I tried adding a crosshair. It didn't help at all. I hope they'll figure something out and patch it soon.

FOV and aim sensitivity sliders would be a good start. They would definitely make it better if not downright fix it completely.

Zekes!

Hahaha, shit I've been feeling somewhat sick after playing for a little bit too. I've never had this problem in a game before

Gattsu25

Banned
It's probably the FOV combined with the lack of a central retical.

The only time I ever had motion sickness from a game was actually the 360 turok demo and that was due to the FOV. Was a shame too because I'm a huge dinosaur nut.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeowch, just wanted to chime in, just started, and while it's not going to stop me from playing, this walk speed, FOV and inability to rebind isn't a very good first impression.

The only time I've ever suffered any form of queasiness when playing a game was when climbing the Trash tower in Infamous. But this game was something else. First session was fine, but last night after playing for about an hour I started feeling really sick.

I don't get motion sickness so thought I had a bit of a stomach upset at first but it was definitely this. Lasted a few hours after I turned it off too. I think it may be because I started using the run button a bit more.

So if I brave it again I may just try without running. Or wait for the inevitable patch.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeowch, just wanted to chime in, just started, and while it's not going to stop me from playing, this walk speed, FOV and inability to rebind isn't a very good first impression.

Update: I'm outright nauseous now.

For a game that proudly proclaims "This game respects you as an intelligent player and it treats your time as precious." I found the walking speed wa-a-a-ay too slow.

Refund time, I guess. If it gets fixed, I'll repurchase. Can't deal with having to jump through hoops to simply not be nauseous, only to walk around just about as slow as the non-action scenes in Homefront.

VOTE WITH WALLET ETC.

Despera

Banned
Update: I'm outright nauseous now.

For a game that proudly proclaims "This game respects you as an intelligent player and it treats your time as precious." I found the walking speed wa-a-a-ay too slow.

Refund time, I guess. If it gets fixed, I'll repurchase. Can't deal with having to jump through hoops to simply not be nauseous, only to walk around just about as slow as the non-action scenes in Homefront.

VOTE WITH WALLET ETC.
There's a sprint button.

m4st4

Unfortunately, my brother just uninstalled the game because he had massive headaches after a while, told him about the FOV thingie but he said he couldn't 'fix' it to work.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's a sprint button.

I AM sprinting.

WAS*

edit: Not trying to be an elitist here. Obviously the game is doing really well from both numbers and 9/10 Steam (regardless of Jon's piracy tweets), and like I said, if it gets fixed I'm right back in. It's just really, really hard for me to play this, and the walking speed, especially coming right off Talos Principle, is annoying but I'd put up with it if I wasn't literally trying to eject my stomach through my pie-hole.

It's not like I'm singling out the game either - I put Type-0 down till the motion blur patch.

Houndi101

Daamn, wanna buy this but I used to get motion sick with Doom etc.
Thank god Steam has the refund program now but still..
How come there's no easy FOV fix?

Well, I admit, I thought this seemed a little like bandwagon bs, but unprompted, my wife brought this up.

She mentioned that is was making her feel ill. I haven't felt ill personally playing it (That's not exactly true I guess, as I did feel a little ill watching her play it. But I put that more down to the sort of jerky way she moves the sticks rather than moving them at the same time to smoothly look around). Doesn't seem to affect me much if I'm playing, but this ruins the two of us playing together.

I've read through a number of suggestions here, but what is actually working for people on PC? We're playing from the couch, and if there's something I could do to fix it, I would.

Skinpop

The slow turn rate/look around is giving me slight nausea. Not enough to make me motion sick but I think it's a far worse problem than the FoV.

Top Bottom