• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else had to deal with the agony of nasal-scabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's how this goes: Get a nosebleed, form scabs, nostrils become really itchy and air-flow drastically blocked. Remove scabs due to insane itchiness and for breathing. Nostrils bleed again, and become inflamed and really tender. Cycle repeats itself.

Sorry if it all sounds gross to some (and I'm sure it sounds pretty tame to people that haven't had it) but it's really uncomfortable and the pain spreads to the sinuses up to my forehead. It's all tolerable if it wasn't for the fact that it seems to be an ongoing cycle.

I've read online, and apparently ENT's basically give people ointment which helps but doesn't totally make it go away, and/or cauterize the sore areas in the nostrils or give antibiotics. All of which have mixed results. Apparently some people have this ongoing for 15 years which is nuts.

Anyone else have this happen?

Kinyou

You should go to a doctor and have it cauterised, that helped me with my nosebleed. But I have to say I never really suffered from it being painful, your thing sounds a bit more serious

MrChom

It gets EVEN MORE HILARIOUS when you have hayfever.

You sneeze and realise you've turned everything in front of you into a goddam horror show. Once did this in a white tiled bathroom in front of a mirror.....took a while to clean up.

Meadows

Banned
I had this when I had a bad cold.

Fucker kept on bleeding whenever I sneezed.

Plus I went out one time, got plastered, came back and threw up. Blood everywhere, was pretty alarming - but it all came from my nose and was bright red so nothing to worry about.

I had a low platelet count due to aplastic anemia and my nose would start bleeding and not stop. After I treated my platelet count and had to nasal pack my nose for 2 days, I had to breathe with my mouth for a few weeks otherwise I risked re-opening the scabs in my nose (which happened 2-3 times and I had to wait a few more weeks for my nose to heal AGAIN) and I could not clear my nose at all. Worse still, my nose was overproducing mucus for some reason.

TL;DR 2 months of sleepless hell.

Koomaster

You do need some ointment or lotion for the inside of your nose. Doesn't even have to be medicated, just anything that helps with dry skin.

My suggestion is to remove whatever scabs you have and liberally apply the lotion inside your nose. After that DO NOT remove any more scabs no matter the temptation. Apply more lotion if you need to but for the most part don't irritate the area. The scabs will fall off on their own when you blow your nose. Eventually the area will heal.

Whenever you get a nosebleed in the future just apply lotion to it before it scabs so you can prevent the cycle. It's okay to get scabs after nosebleeds but you progress it to the point where the area is inflamed by irritating it and you are going to have lots of trouble as you are experiencing now.

Nikodemos

I hate pimples in your nose. Those suckers hurt.
Oh, man, internal nose pimples. Those are absolutely horrible. They tend to increase in frequency if you somehow pull your nose hairs and the follicle gets clogged while forming a new hair.

potam

Banned
I had that happen after getting the nasal flu vaccine. For like two months after, I would constantly get bloody boogers, which sometimes led to nosebleeds.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Ya similar issues here, I have a deviated septum and get blood scabs. When I pick them, so I can breathe, my nose pours blood. On an 8 month waiting list for surgery.

So here's how this goes: Get a nosebleed, form scabs, nostrils become really itchy and air-flow drastically blocked. Remove scabs due to insane itchiness and for breathing. Nostrils bleed again, and become inflamed and really tender. Cycle repeats itself.

Sorry if it all sounds gross to some (and I'm sure it sounds pretty tame to people that haven't had it) but it's really uncomfortable and the pain spreads to the sinuses up to my forehead. It's all tolerable if it wasn't for the fact that it seems to be an ongoing cycle.

I've read online, and apparently ENT's basically give people ointment which helps but doesn't totally make it go away, and/or cauterize the sore areas in the nostrils or give antibiotics. All of which have mixed results. Apparently some people have this ongoing for 15 years which is nuts.

Anyone else have this happen?

I've got the same problem, but no pain or irritation. I just get lots of nosebleeds that never completely heal in one nostril. Usually its no big deal for me, on occasion there will be a buildup of scab that has to come out which results in another nosebleed.

Since you seem to be having pain and irritation, I'd go to a doctor.

Yeah, I got really sick last week and I was blowing my nose so much that I started to chaff off skin on the outside and got a bloody nose & scab later on the inside. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom