• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else love how PAL Super NES box art had colour sides? (56K gets default black)

Chittagong

Gold Member
I might be the only one, but for me one of the most exciting factors in waiting for Super NES games make it over to the PAL land was getting to see which colour box the publisher would choose for the game.

Unlike the black US Super NES boxes, European boxes would have all a different key colour chosen by the publisher, with little or no rules (except that it had to be a solid colour, not a texture).

This colour choice was an interesting graphic variable that added a new design mechanic to creating Super NES box artwork. The choice of the colour could amplify or alter the mood of the game, or tie together the entire experience. Or, at worst, it could be the disappointing downer of the default black, almost a reason to not consider the game.

The reason why I always found it exciting is that it added a design consideration made just for Europe. Instead of simply bringing the game over, the publisher had to consider the aesthetics of it, but in an efficient way that didn't require new illustrations.

There would be some principles publishers seemed to follow, along with some interesting exceptions.

Mood amplifying colours

Most often publishers would choose a colour that somehow promoted the mood of the game. Forest green for Secret of Mana, blood red for Final Fight.

936full-secret-of-mana-cover.jpg

The cartridges and manuals would follow the same colour scheme too, to create an unified brand experience

Random colours

Quite often the publisher would also choose a colour which didn't directly relate to the box art itself, but would give the cover a different mood than another colour would.

Brand colours

Sometimes the cover colour was picked to promote an iconic game or publisher brand.

Special Edition textured covers

Rarely, when Nintendo had a really big release, they'd go all out and use a texture or a gradient for the box background. Just so that we'd know that the game is a big deal.

Disappointing default black

The most disappointing choice a publisher could make is to go with the default black. It made boxes just look empty and boring. Amazingly, quite often the choice of black would have a direct correlation to the quality of the game - black cover games tended to be the crap ones.

The worst offenders were Sunsoft and games distributed by Laguna - which, not only being let down by the default black, also featured their hideous logo very prominently in the front.

NOE boxes of shame

In their infinite wisdom, NOE decided that they'd much rather just take the US cover, and stick the Super Famicom logo (used for PAL Super NES) on top of the US Super NES icon.

Also, notice the typesetting of the word "PAL VERSION" in these boxes compared to the NCL standard - while the PAL boxes from NCL have tightly kerned and aligned the PAL version text with the Super NES logotype, NOE has just lazily pasted it on a default font in a random position.

All this made the NOE first party covers the most amateurish of all Super NES covers.

The NOE box design would also result in a different style of a label.

Later NOE enforced this horrible monotone tradition to all of Europe, in the form of the most horrible Nintendo 64 first party boxes with shamefully big black borders. Someone thought it's a really good branding device, to force the box art to a tiny square in the middle.

NCL's late Super NES box anomaly

Very late into the Super NES cycle, NCL decided suddenly change the entire format of the PAL box art for first party games, possibly to battle of NOE's tacky US style covers that had arguably bigger cover art.

The new style NCL introduced combined the colorful PAL design with a bigger key visual and an US style branding layout.

In my mind, this had the potential to be the most successful of all the designs, as it combined the cool colour variable from the original PAL cover art, but combined it with bigger artwork. Unfortunately it came so late in the cycle and was only applied to first party games distributed directly from NCL that it was quite rare.

The same design with a key colour would manifest itself in a new label design.

Nekofrog

Banned
I still hate the fact that Nintendo went with the crappy cardboard boxes for the SNES when the Genesis was way ahead of it with the plastic cases.

No slide is better.

http://www.gamescharts.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/retro40.png[/img[/QUOTE]

I want some Japanese Super Famicom and N64 boxes to frame and put on the wall.

Also Australia managed to avoid getting the bad European N64 box arts, even though we're still pal. Ours seem to be identical to the USA ones.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I still hate the fact that Nintendo went with the crappy cardboard boxes for the SNES when the Genesis was way ahead of it with the plastic cases.

Yeah, the Megadrive boxes were all kind of superior, beautiful and durable:

I have always thought that it was just ignorance in the part of Nintendo, not a cost issue - printing and folding a five colour (CMYK&Gold) quality cardboard box is almost certainly more expensive than a default plastic box with a simple thin inlay.

Amazingly, Sega took a massive step backwards with the 32X and introduced crappy cardboard boxes instead of their superior plastic boxes:

In fact, it wasn't until N-Gage had plastic boxes that Nintendo decided to intoduce them with Nintendo DS.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I would be happy if we can just get manuals back. I still remember unwrapping my Dark Cloud 2 case and being floored by how beautiful the manual was.

man3big.jpg

Here's a random question I'll just ask here. Why are PAL versions so much cheaper on ebay? I was looking at the cost of SNES games and saw that they were like half of what the US versions cost.

EDIT: I guess they were Japanese versions, not PAL. Never mind.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
In defense of the North American SNES carts:

1. They have end labels
2. First party published games had a red stripe on the end label, third party published games had purple.
3. Very cool dust caps.
4. Those dust caps made the games stand upright. If you've ever tried to stand up Japanese/PAL carts, they tend to topple like dominos.

Haunted

Later NOE enforced this horrible monotone tradition to all of Europe, in the form of the most horrible Nintendo 64 first party boxes with shamefully big black borders. Someone thought it's a really good branding device, to force the box art to a tiny square in the middle.
I honestly never understood that. Neither as a kid nor now.

Terrible choice.

Rlan

Megadrive stuff went through similar weird box art issues during its life.

Originally we saw games like this:

Altered_Beast_Sega_Mega_Drive_box.jpg
altered_beast_box.jpg
md_game_altered_beast.gif

Using the black checkerboard look. Then it moved onto:

sonic3_knuckles.jpg
Sonic3-box-us-225.jpg
_-Sonic-The-Hedgehog-3-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg

Kind of weird seeing that Japan basically had no continuous "style" to them at all. Also weird that they made the split between American and PAL games with Red and Blue.

Conan-san

Some copyright bullshit, basically.

Stopped Starfox games being called starfox games for the longest time (untill Adventures IIRC)

GCX

The black borders around the N64 boxes were a horrendous design crime.

This is pretty much the only really cool European N64 box art I can think of:

9xbc4.jpg

BocoDragon

Why is the German version of Starfox called Starwing?

Some copyright bullshit, basically.

Stopped Starfox games being called starfox games for the longest time (untill Adventures IIRC)

This 1987 ZX Spectrum game should explain it all:

And of course, there was no Spectrum in Japan or America, so the Star Fox name was fine.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hah. I agree the boxes with the wrap around colors look great, why are all the black boxes in your examples all beat up?

Sim City is actually a good example! It was the first textured coer, it has a stone texture of sorts in the background.

Love how Star Fox Wing is both at the awesome textured ones and at the shame ones

Yeah it shows that the NOE style of crap cover was not just simply a question of being able to quickly localize the US covers (because Star Fox cover is completely different), but a deliberate choice.

In defense of the North American SNES carts:

1. They have end labels
2. First party published games had a red stripe on the end label, third party published games had purple.
3. Very cool dust caps.
4. Those dust caps made the games stand upright. If you've ever tried to stand up Japanese/PAL carts, they tend to topple like dominos.

The US Super NES branding overall was really good and cohesive in my opinion. The grey stripes motif worked wonderfully, the angular box style fit the console style, the whole thing just worked. Which is why simply replacing the grey stripes logo with the Super Famicom logo always felt so amateurish.

I'm curious if OP is rocking a colour aware backlight for his TV.

Ha! I have been thinking about it. How cool it would be to make the backlight match the box colour!

Kind of weird seeing that Japan basically had no continuous "style" to them at all. Also weird that they made the split between American and PAL games with Red and Blue.

I agree, it was a horrible choice, and especially the PAL gradients that were supposed to make the new cover look ribbed was just embarrassing. In a cultural context it's understandable, 3D consoles were starting to come out, Kai's Power Tools beveled art was everywhere, so they probably felt the clean original style pointed too much out that the console was from the 80s.

Why is the German version of Starfox called Starwing?

So that NOE could give us this awfully executed logo. The type is just diabolical compared to the custom and refined Star Fox 64 type.

BocoDragon

The US Super NES branding overall was really good and cohesive in my opinion. The grey stripes motif worked wonderfully, the angular box style fit the console style, the whole thing just worked. Which is why simply replacing the grey stripes logo with the Super Famicom logo always felt so amateurish.

I suppose you're right. It is nice to keep the SFC logo though. Maybe they should have kept the Super Famicom font and made a custom PAL Super Nintendo logo.

Krelian

I'm confused, were the color PAL boxes for UK and the NOA rip-off ones for the rest of Europe?
I'm also confused. Being German I mostly saw the "uglier" NOE boxes and always thought those were the standard European designs, though I remember seeing a couple of the colored ones like Super Probotector (Contra III for the US folks).

What does NCL stand for, by the way? Is it supposed to be Nintendo Europe's UK devision?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Had no idea the UK had a different set of box designs to the rest of Europe.

I am rather partial to the colourful boxes. And there is something about tipping out the contents of the box to see your new game and manual that opening a DVD case just can't match.

Hah. I agree the boxes with the wrap around colors look great, why are all the black boxes in your examples all beat up?

That's how cardboard boxes look like after opening and shutting them a couple of times. I loved the SNES design on the PAL boxes, but the terrible cardboard bugged me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's how cardboard boxes look like after opening and shutting them a couple of times. I loved the SNES design on the PAL boxes, but the terrible cardboard bugged me.
The moment I got the game I took out the game and manual and put the box in storage so most of my boxes are in fairly good nick. Can't say the same for the manuals since these were the days they were fun to read.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I never knew that the PAL boxes had the color around them after all those years, but yeah, back in those days there wasn't any internet to see things like this if you weren't in Europe.

stilgar

The black borders around the N64 boxes were a horrendous design crime.

This is pretty much the only really cool European N64 box art I can think of:

9xbc4.jpg

Yes. Even the godly Perfect Dark case is spoiled is spoiled with the red stripe on the right.

Takao

Banned
I'm also confused. Being German I mostly saw the "uglier" NOE boxes and always thought those were the standard European designs, though I remember seeing a couple of the colored ones like Super Probotector (Contra III for the US folks).

What does NCL stand for, by the way? Is it supposed to be Nintendo Europe's UK devision?

NCL is Nintendo Japan. Did they originally do distribution in Europe, and then started NoE or something?

ss_lemonade

altered_beast_box.jpg

sonic3_knuckles.jpg
Sonic3-box-us-225.jpg

I think only older games used the checkered pattern design (if I'm not wrong, the original box of our old genesis had that pattern as well). I don't mind the inconsistency though, at least the cases were durable. Compare that to what we got with those hideous US Saturn cases. Those plastic things just broke down easily

altered_beast_box.jpg

sonic3_knuckles.jpg
Sonic3-box-us-225.jpg

The style change happened when Sega released the Genesis model 2.

GEN2box.jpg

Well at least that's how it was for North America anyway.

But that Sonic 3 EU box art is pretty terrible. The US box art for Sonic 3 wasn't that great either, but at least it was a step up. The Japanese box arts were kind of interesting though...

As they all has a weird late 80's to early 90's hip-hop rap album vibe to them.

Interesting how the retain the "Most famous Hedgehog in the world" stamp throughout.

Krelian

NCL is Nintendo Japan. Did they originally do distribution in Europe, and then started NoE or something?
It seems someone else did distribute Nintendo products before 1990, when NoE was established. According to the history of Nintendo subsidiaries were established in the UK and other countries in 1993, so maybe they started using the NoE style boxes then? I don't know if NCL distributed Nintendo products before that directly, though.

Pyrrhus

Those Japanese Sonic covers are freaking great. He always looks sleazy and hydrocephalic in the Western art.

BocoDragon

^ Sonic on Japanese Mega Drive was a happy hip-hop hero. Western Sonic was too high on 90s 'tude.

Rlan

The style change happened when Sega released the Genesis model 2.

GEN2box.jpg

Well at least that's how it was for North America anyway.

Yeah, the actual Megadrive console never went and used the blue stripe, as far as I'm aware:

a_med_N_megadrive2box.jpg

Alternatively, in Australia there were a bunch of other variant box styles. The main publisher, Sega Ozisoft, were one of the first places you'd see specially marked "old games" boxes.

So you'd see:

And even weirder, some games started to use just straight-up VHS tape boxes.

1577055-ecco-the-dolphin-and-ariel-the-little-mermaid-double-pack-sega-mega-drive-game-set-0.jpg

I've also seen Platinum Collection S&K and Vectorman with VHS boxes. Started to get real weird by that point. S&K was one of the very few games in EU to get the cardboard box normally, which makes it extremely difficult to get in good nick as a collector, while America seemed to continue on the cardboard path a little longer.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm confused, were the color PAL boxes for UK and the NOA rip-off ones for the rest of Europe?

Yeah I think a clarification is needed.

NOE = Nintendo of Europe
These were countries under the direct control of Nintendo's European subsidiary. Initially it was only Germany, but later in the Super NES era expanded to Spain and other countries. This is the reason only Germany had initially the NOA ripoff box art NOE produced, and later also Spain got them (see the NOE Secret of Mana box I posted, it has Spanish copy in it). In terms of marketing, NOE operated quite independently of NCL, as witnessed in their own approach to box art. Later on while NCL wanted a clean graphic approach as seen with the Wii, NOE went with tacky techno flyer style effects popular in Germany (see example here.)

NCL = Nintendo Co, Ltd. (Japan)
In the Super NES era, most European markets, as well as Singapore and Malaysia were serviced by independent distributors such as The Games (UK), Bergsala (Scandinavia), Linea GIG (Italy) and Concentra (Portugal). These distributors would order their product directly from NCL in Japan, with no intervention by NOE. As a result, all the packaging, manuals and labels would be designed in Japan by Nintendo Co. Ltd. This is the reason most of Europe got the colourful box art.

So, in a way one could say that the stuff in other markets was closer to Nintendo's original design vision for the Super NES than the NOA or NOE creations. This is best demonstrated by the two wildly different console box arts seen in Europe:

The clean NCL desgined PAL console box art:

The busy NOE designed PAL console box art:

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ah that would explain why I've only seen the NCL designs. I live in the UK and I took holidays every year to Sweden.

To further your point that the NCL designs are the more official designs, the NoE Club Nintnedo SNES Wii Controller follows that design rather than the NOE one.

Krelian

Yeah I think a clarification is needed.

NOE = Nintendo of Europe
These were countries under the direct control of Nintendo's European subsidiary. Initially it was only Germany, but later in the Super NES era expanded to Spain and other countries. This is the reason only Germany had initially the NOA ripoff box art NOE produced, and later also Spain got them (see the NOE Secret of Mana box I posted, it has Spanish copy in it). In terms of marketing, NOE operated quite independently of NCL, as witnessed in their own approach to box art. Later on while NCL wanted a clean graphic approach as seen with the Wii, NOE went with tacky techno flyer style effects popular in Germany (see example here.)

NCL = Nintendo Co, Ltd. (Japan)
In the Super NES era, most European markets, as well as Singapore and Malaysia were serviced by independent distributors such as The Games (UK), Bergsala (Scandinavia), Linea GIG (Italy) and Concentra (Portugal). These distributors would order their product directly from NCL in Japan, with no intervention by NOE. As a result, all the packaging, manuals and labels would be designed in Japan by Nintendo Co. Ltd. This is the reason most of Europe got the colourful box art.
Thanks for the clarification. So I guess I was unlucky living in Germany, since we got all the NoE stuff from the very beginning. The more colorful boxes do look nice.

Munin

These look OK and all but they're nothing compared to the gorgeous masterpieces that Japanese Super NES boxes were.

Top Bottom