• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else opened their Nintendo switch to find dust and micro scratches on theirs?

Persona7

Banned
Maybe you got a used one, and they sell it as new?

Mine got no scratches BTW :)

This can happen but these boxes are not sealed in any way so dust/dirt/other debris can easily creep in during transportation. It seems a bunch of hardware was sitting in warehouses for months as they began manufacturing this hardware months before launch.

Firebrand

Never turned it ON. I just opened the box and saw that the whole screen was covered in something like dried up water ( it appears to be dust from the plastic sleeve ), then I saw the scratches.

The screen itself is in perfect condition, but the housing is scratched.

I know it is a minor thing, but it annoys me.

Well, either way, if it's scratched I wouldn't accept it. Return.

No problems here, but definitely some mediocre packaging. I remember being shocked that there wasn't a sticker on the box. And the plastic bag holding the Switch is just...there. Nintendo should be doing better.

Patch13

My Switch, which was pre-ordered from a big box store, came packaged differently: the Switch and controllers were both in those white foam slips. I appear to have been too lazy to throw them away -- they're still stuffed in the box, where I put them in my haste to get playing. :)

(I also remember peeling off a screen protector, though I was either un-lazy enough to throw that away, or I'm mis-remembering.)

Did you buy your Switch from a retailer, OP, or from someone on ebay? If the latter, I suspect that you got a second hand unit. Since people have reported seeing packaging like yours in unboxing videos, its possible that you have someone's review unit ...

Persona7

Banned
My Switch, which was pre-ordered from a big box store, came packaged differently: the Switch and controllers were both in those white foam slips. I appear to have been too lazy to throw them away -- they're still stuffed in the box, where I put them in my haste to get playing. :)

(I also remember peeling off a screen protector, though I was either un-lazy enough to throw that away, or I'm mis-remembering.)

Did you buy your Switch from a retailer, OP, or from someone on ebay? If the latter, I suspect that you got a second hand unit. Since people have reported seeing packaging like yours in unboxing videos, its possible that you have someone's review unit ...

The unit I got day one from Amazon has the exact same packaging as the one in the OP. The unit I got from target a day or two later is also the same.

Kilau

That's not very nice looking compared to how the Wii and Wii U were packed, I don't remember how my 3DS was boxed up.

Patch13

The unit I got day one from Amazon has the exact same packaging as the one in the OP. The unit I got from target a day or two later is also the same.

Weird. Was it sold by Amazon directly, or by a third party seller?

I wonder if they changed up the packaging when they stepped up manufacturing, and we just got Switches from different batches.

Seik

Banned
Mine was perfect.

I was really surprised to see that there was nothing to 'seal' the box though, not even a little rounded tape where the tab to open the box is..

Anyone could basically open the box and play with it, factory reset, put everything back in and pretend it's brand new.

For the record, my Switch was in a plastic bag and the dock was in a white 'paper foam' thingy.

kubev

Mine was a bit dusty, and there was a smudge on it where it'd make contact with the dock on the bottom right.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That's not very nice looking compared to how the Wii and Wii U were packed, I don't remember how my 3DS was boxed up.

plastic foam sleeve white thin cardboard innards
and a small hint of fragrance nr 42 "new"

Rellik

Well, mine came covered in some sort of dust/ smudges and scratches on the housing itself.

QgTJrfu.jpg

Nothing to worry about, but it can be frustrating to buy something new and get it in that condition.

I'd have sent this back. That's not acceptable for a brand new product.

Top Bottom