• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else underwhelmed by Halo 5's visuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaJ9Kmo.gif

A little. But if that means we get large sandbox environments locked at 60fps I will be more than happy with the visuals we do get.

Halo doesn't need to be a graphical powerhouse to be good. I didn't think Halo 3 was graphically impressive either but I sure did play a ton of it.

VanWinkle

It doesn't impress me the slightest bit. But it hasn't since it was first revealed so I didn't expect it to suddenly look great.

Peltz

Shadow Fall looked great, but nothing could make up for how tired and dull the gameplay was. I'm not a fan of Halo either, but it's miles better in that regard. It's not amazing looking no, but if you are into that franchise I'm sure it will be more than acceptable.

This post nails it. Halo will be fun as hell, yes, even with 343 at the helm.

Roronoa

Banned
It looks like Halo.

Not underwhelmed but the visuals are expected. I guess it hinges more on art direction and design more than, say, how realistic the lighting bounces off of objects.

stay gold

It looks great to me and obviously running at 60fps. Halo 4 on MCC still holds up favourably to most proper current gen games so making H5 look like a generational leap over it is a tall order.

c0de

Looking at new screens and all:
Cz89qb8.jpg

X1OaPib.jpg

LZSU6hZ.jpg

It looks okay, but really the entire scene looks flat or something, there's next to no shadows or reflections going on, something that's been a big focus with the shift to PBR this generation. And Halo 5 just kinda looks like a slightly upgraded Halo 4?
I mean jeez, this is what a launch game for ps4 looked like and 2 years later Halo 5 can't match it?
vaTA4ae.jpg

d11c53f1_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-1716-31-13-439.png

7cfc20e6_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-1716-24-44-247.png

What do you guys think?

Well yes, it doesn't. Killzone was always an example of what a console could do, Halo only did that in 4. Add to this it only has half the time to render a frame on a console which is significantly weaker. You often play the informed gamer but your threads tell a different story.

Nope, it looks goddamn fantastic. I love the art style, and it's technically sound. The recent Digital Foundry analysis revealed that it runs at a 60FPS, while maintaining that visual fidelity. I'd say that's pretty commendable.

I can't take any of the Killzone comparisons seriously because,

1. The levels are fucking massive.

2. It runs at a 60FPS.

3. It runs on comparatively weaker hardware.

And it still comes pretty close.

I'm no Halo fan, but I'm pretty pumped for this entry just because of their gameplay-first approach. That art direction has really impressed me so far, and 60FPS in first person shooters (well, pretty much everything) is so much fun to play, and I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Now, about the "It looks like a 1080p Halo 4" comments. I suggest you play Halo 4 on the Xbox One and then watch some of the YouTube videos of this game. Neither the scale, nor the visual fidelity is comparable. You're making unsubstantiated statements here. It's very easy to pick a really good Halo 4 shot to compare with a really bad Halo 5 shot to push an agenda, but you are factually incorrect if you say that Halo 5 looks like Halo 4 running at a higher resolution.

Edit: The game does drop a couple of frames for a split second on two occasions in the new Gamescom demo, so I removed the "locked" before 60FPS. :)

I think it looks decent. Keep in mind this is an XBox One game that's striving for 60FPS. Sacrifices will be made.

Also, while Killzone was 60FPS in multiplayer it had to mess with the resolution to maintain the framerate, while Halo 5 is Full HD 1080p throughout.

I think it's important to note that Halo games are comparatively massive, highly traversable FPS worlds filled with more impressive and greater numbers of AI compared to anything in Killzone which is much smaller, much simpler and less dynamic with no integrated vehicle combat and physics nor having to manage four player co-op with AI players for all vacant spots. KZ or Metro are about some of the worst choices to make a comparison against Halo given their much narrower, smaller scope. I cannot think of another current or upcoming console FPS that matches up to what Halo 5 seems to be doing despite the dampening effect its more performance-focused visuals and familiarity of gameplay and look has. And 343 says it's far bigger than previous games. That's gotta be worth some consideration.

CoG

Didn't DF do a test that proved otherwise? Or was there a more recent one? Either way, it is one of the uglier games I've seen this gen.

The dynamic scaling is going to impact visuals. They prioritized framerate over graphic fidelity.

Frog-fu

Banned
Everything about this game seems mediocre.

Shocking.
I question anyone who doesn't say Xbone.

I don't understand how the Xbone even sold 11 million units so far, it should be like 3-4 mil of the die hard Stathams only. There is pretty much no reason to own one with the PS4 available.

Here's another statement I heard a lot last gen and will reciprocate back to the Xbox crowd: why should devs spend so much extra time and resources on an SKU that will sell the least? This is on the manufacturer not the developer.

Nearly every mention you make of "Xbone" tends to be laced with this system wars fanboy bullshit. Let it go man.

SaganIsGOAT

The dynamic scaling is going to impact visuals. They prioritized framerate over graphic fidelity.

It's because they rebuilt the engine from the ground up around 60fps FIRST. They should be applauded for taking it so seriously. Framerate is KING!

Nope, it looks goddamn fantastic. I love the art style, and it's technically sound. The recent Digital Foundry analysis revealed that it runs at a locked 60FPS, while maintaining that visual fidelity. I'd say that's pretty commendable.

2. It runs at a locked 60FPS.

I'm no Halo fan, but I'm pretty pumped for this entry just because of their gameplay-first approach. That art direction has really impressed me so far, and 60FPS in first person shooters (well, pretty much everything) is so much fun to play, and I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Now, about the "It looks like a 1080p Halo 4" comments. I suggest you play Halo 4 on the Xbox One and then watch some of the YouTube videos of this game. Neither the scale, nor the visual fidelity is comparable. You're making unsubstantiated statements here. It's very easy to pick a really good Halo 4 shot to compare with a really bad Halo 5 shot to push an agenda, but you are factually incorrect if you say that Halo 5 looks like Halo 4 running at a higher resolution.
Who said that? Matter of fact Halo 4 MCC is actually running at a higher res than Halo 5 and at 60Fps. That's why people are disappointed by Halo 5. I own MCC so I'm not comparing "best case Halo 4 screenshots" to what has been shown of H5.

I personally am underwhelmed. Halo has always been a graphical powerhouse up until this point in my opinion. I don't think they are bad, just not exceptional like previous releases. I thought H4 was one of the best if not the best looking game on the 360.

But, visuals aren't the whole story for me though, and I really like what I've seen in regards to the gameplay changes.

It looks to be one of the best looking games on the Xbox One. I haven't been able to say that about a Bungie Halo game since Halo 1. 343 makes good looking games. So no, I'm not disappointed.

blamite

I just don't care much for the visual style and art direction. I wish 343 had gone for a style more similar to Reach, instead of making everything look overly smooth and plastic-y.

Glass

Where's the evidence which suggests the game isn't a 60fps lock? Maybe it wont be, but everything so far shows it is.

Who said that? Matter of fact Halo 4 MCC is actually running at a higher res than Halo 5 and at 60Fps. That's why people are disappointed by Halo 5. I own MCC so I'm not comparing "best case Halo 4 screenshots" to what has been shown of H5.

You're going to tell me that point isn't regularly brought up in Halo 5 threads? Sure it doesn't look a whole generation ahead of Halo 4, but people really need to consider that it's running at a locked 60FPS, which even Halo 4 doesn't manage on the Xbox One. Moreover, Halo 4 was heavily criticized for its narrow levels, while Halo 5 has the biggest levels of any Halo game. Sacrifices have to be made to achieve your goals when you're working with console hardware. I wish people could see past the raw graphics and appreciate massive improvements in other areas.

Conduit

Banned
Nope, it looks goddamn fantastic. I love the art style, and it's technically sound. The recent Digital Foundry analysis revealed that it runs at a locked 60FPS, while maintaining that visual fidelity. I'd say that's pretty commendable.

2. It runs at a locked 60FPS.

The Gamescom build was running at a locked 60 FPS, except for one cutscene where it glitched out, I believe.

It's not for now. But it is very stable. Check again that Gamescom video and look at the numbers or green line.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176813837&postcount=53

Wow. Pretty sad that these threads have to devolve into "system warz" though.

Na, it's not that bad. I just sit back, try not to get involved and just chuckle. It's entertaining when it happens as it reminds me of when I was kid arguing the benefits of "Blast Processing" on the playground in 2nd grade.

ypo

Looks extremely flat because it looks like there's zero real time environmental shadows. Extremely disappointing for a current gen game. Playing Dark Soul 2 right now and looks incredibly flat because of that as well, but that's a quick cheap port...so.

It looks alright for running at a solid 60 frames. Levels just look kind of dull, it's more of an art direction thing imo.

In the new Mission Impossible I thought Simon Pegg was playing Halo 4 until it showed him shove the copy of Guardians into his desk. (Obviously not an apt comparison, just thought it was funny.)

Killzone is like that superficial supermodel. Great to look at but not a lot of fun to hang with for more than a day or two.

Halo is that super cute girl with a great personality. Sure you won't see her on a runway, but you'll have fun no matter where you take her because she has a great personality to boot.

Halo 5 looks super smooth. Lets hope they make it incredibly fun too. I forget about the super great graphical details when I'm running for my life.

I know I'm biased. I'll just Avatar quote myself.

Conduit

Banned
I fail to see any real drops apart from that one cutscene where it seemed like a glitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhwuIWws4NM

I might be wrong. Could you point it out please?

Just watch the green line then. You will find 3 sections with frame drops. 1 section has a little more drops

I think it looks decent. Keep in mind this is an XBox One game that's striving for 60FPS. Sacrifices will be made.

Also, while Killzone was 60FPS in multiplayer it had to mess with the resolution to maintain the framerate, while Halo 5 is Full HD 1080p throughout.

Mmmmmmm....no! Not for now.

I only really care about stable framerates in FPS games. I am not one to sit and awe at graphics. Most PC games I turn to low to make sure I get the smoothest game possible.

I absolutely hate stuttering. Hate it. I'll take subpar graphics with a smooth and stable framerate all day.

PC gamer here, bought an Xbox 360 about 3 weeks ago, got Halo 3, Reach and 4, just for campaigns,(no Gold Live and no plans for it) and sheeesh the framerate drops below 30 so many times, 10 mins into H3 campaign and FPS drop, this shit is disgusting to me, Halo 4 looks nice but those below 30FPS drop during medium to big battles is disgusting..I would sacrifice looks any day for FPS...Graphics DON'T MAKE THE GAME...

BumRush

PC gamer here, bought an Xbox 360 about 3 weeks ago, got Halo 3, Reach and 4, just for campaigns,(no Gold Live and no plans for it) and sheeesh the framerate drops below 30 so many times, 10 mins into H3 campaign and FPS drop, this shit is disgusting to me, Halo 4 looks nice but those below 30FPS drop during medium to big battles is disgusting..I would sacrifice looks any day for FPS...Graphics DON'T MAKE THE GAME...

But remember, just as you feel that way, others (not myself) feel that graphics do make a game.

Trey

People knocking the art direction, I see what you mean, but I feel 343 really rounding into their own identity with Halo. It finally feels "theirs", so to speak. I like it.

I hate how Linda has like 29 scopes though. Sometimes you gotta put the pencil/styles down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom