• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else underwhelmed by Halo 5's visuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kssio_Aug

Killzone is really a pretty game. But Halo is targeting 60fps, and the screenshots of Killzone are from the 30fps campaign. Also Halo 5 may end up with much bigger maps! And its looking pretty awesome by what it is promising!

Also Killzone SF is a boredom. So I'm not really interested in a pretty game only.

BriGuy

I've always kind of liked Halo's aesthetics. They're very video-gamey compared to the gritty realism a lot of shooters go for. The graphics might not blow me away, but I can appreciate them for what they are. That said, I vastly prefer Bungie's designs over what 343i did with Halo 4.

Just watch the green line then. You will find 3 sections with frame drops. 1 section has a little more drops

Mmmmmmm....no! Not for now.

I noticed two minor drops for less than a second. I wouldn't really consider that as something that would negate the locked 60FPS status. Anomalies tend to occur. MGS V is supposed to be locked a 60, but even that drops frames. But it's cool if you don't consider it locked. It just seems too minor of a detail to argue over, to be honest.

mdargis

Banned
It isn't in singleplayer ( according to recent frametest videos from Gamescom ). Multy almost, but singleplayer for now isn't. Well, will see soon. But surely they go in right direction.

Uh, from the videos I saw from gamescom (digital foundry). It was rock solid 60. On;y time it dropped was to load the next area when blue team was in an elevator not doing anything.

Karl2177

I'm not a fan of 343i's art style. Pastel Spartans, muted environments, and Tron-like Forerunners(to name a few) all seemed like they didn't fit. As far as Halo 5 goes, I think it's a good thing that they are prioritizing the framerate, but I don't feel like they are getting the most out of the engine. The lighting still looks wrong to me.

Game looks absolutely fine for a Halo title, and I've been playing since 2001. If the game looks like those screen grabs and can keep that 60FPS, call me impressed and excited as hell...

Human_me

I am, however we simply don't fully know the full scale of the game/maps yet.

If there is lots of things happening at once then I'll be impressed.

However nothing in the gameplay demos and screenshots indicate that.

cameron

Nope. I dig the art style and it's 60 fps.

There were some screengrabs from youtube videos in previous threads that looked super rough. Was expecting more of that before clicking the thread. The screens in the OP look pretty good.

Na, it's not that bad. I just sit back, try not to get involved and just chuckle. It's entertaining when it happens as it reminds me of when I was kid arguing the benefits of "Blast Processing" on the playground in 2nd grade.

Rise of the Tomb Raider threads are my number one entertainment source on here. :p

On one hand, comparing 60fps Halo 5 to 30fps Shadowfall is really unfair.

On the other hand, Shadowfall is fixed at 1080p and doesn't drop frames, while Halo can drop tons of resolution to keep those 60fps in place. Not to mention Horizon proves there was a lot more to extract from the PS4 with the same engine.

In other words, not the best comparison, but it's not impressing me either.

Mahonay

Banned
I got Killzone: Shadowfall on launch day. Visually it looked absolutely amazing. Once I got done with gawking at the environment I started actually playing the game. I didn't get very far at all. Game was really boring IMO. The multiplayer was surprisingly solid at least.

I don't own an XB1, but everything I've seen of Halo 5 looks pretty good. It's ok if it doesn't match the fidelity of a Killzone if it's just fun to play through.

I think the graphics look fine. They're not mind blowing but having played all of the previous Halo games I'd say gameplay is more important to focus on.

Reallink

If H5 looks at least as good as H4 on MCC, I'll be happy.

That's a depressingly low bar considering you're talking about what should be 10 YEARS of hardware advancement across the respective consoles, which is I guess the point of the OP. I'd have to say I agree with him based on the released media, but withhold judgement until I see all the campaign and how bad the resolution issue is.

You have to considering scale here man

4 player co op with a bunch of AIs in a massive map at 60fps

RFfL0fA.jpg

As far as I know that's all play space. You can fly out to where that Banshee is.

Killzone is very pretty but it also has no where near as much going on as Halo does.

shireman

Banned
Maybe you feel that way since it's pretty much the same game engine. I would agree it's not a MASSIVE upgrade from Halo 4 but it still looks great and once you're playing I don't think you'll care.

Spasm

That's a depressingly low bar considering you're talking about what should be 10 YEARS of hardware advancement across the respective consoles, which is I guess the point of the OP.
It's really not, though. H4 has no earthly business running on 360 in the first place, and 1080p60 in MCC makes it that much better.

Conduit

Banned
I noticed two minor drops for less than a second. I wouldn't really consider that as something that would negate the locked 60FPS status. Anomalies tend to occur. MGS V is supposed to be locked a 60, but even that drops frames. But it's cool if you don't consider it locked. It just seems too minor of a detail to argue over, to be honest.

I noticed 3.

https://youtu.be/DhwuIWws4NM?t=83
https://youtu.be/DhwuIWws4NM?t=155
https://youtu.be/DhwuIWws4NM?t=159

Well, it's stupid to argue and it's a really minor drop.I know. For someone that isn't "locked". I have a fresh memory from Forza 6 thread where there was an arguing about "locked" 1080/60 Forza mantra. One "Guy" didn't want to admit that FIFA 16 is "locked" cuz it has drops in replay and celebrations. But i caught him here then. Well, F5 drops to 30fps just before race starts. I got ban then. LOL. But that was then!

Kssio_Aug

I noticed 3.

https://youtu.be/DhwuIWws4NM?t=83
https://youtu.be/DhwuIWws4NM?t=155
https://youtu.be/DhwuIWws4NM?t=159

Well, it's stupid to argue and it's a really minor drop.I know. For someone that isn't "locked". I have a fresh memory from Forza 6 thread where there was an arguing about "locked" 1080/60 Forza mantra.

Yeah. It IS minor and stupid to argue about.

Maybe we will see more severe drops worth discussing in the full game, but that is pretty damn solid!

I thought Halo is mostly prided on gameplay. I think for certain shooters, I do give visuals a pass if it isn't really idol of that one aspect. Maybe story mode should show more graphical prowess but I'm not expecting it that much in multi-player. I couldn't tell the difference between the visuals for BLOPS3 for PS4 and XB1 unless I have to really stare.

It may not blow me away, but I think it looks pretty. I frequently play old games, so my horizon on visuals may be wider than many.

My concerns are more about the art-direction than the technical side of the graphics. But I'm holding my final opinion until I've actually played the finished product.

keidashxd

Halo 3 wasn't impressive at all, then you played the campaign and found two fucking scarabs and a lot of enemies flying around, that was impressive beyond graphics.

Fuck graphics if they keep that scale.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah! Explosions are really awful.

Halo5dr_6030.gif
What about the rest of the visuals in the gif, no one thinks that looks really good? The lighting is spot on, textures and models are detailed. And it plays at 60 fps.
But yea, the explosion is pretty low end.

Deviousx

I wish 343 were more open about the tech they use in their games. Something like a SIGGRAPH presentation with notes would surely be a great read.

As for this thread, eh... Am I impressed by Halo 5's visuals? Not really. But when I factor in 60FPS, open environments with lots of AIs and vehicles, and XB1's hardware, I won't exactly be expecting Ryse or The Order 1886 pristine-like quality.

KDC720

Considering the 60 fps, I really don't have a problem with the visuals, even if they are only a small step up from 4.

IMO, the Halo games (sans 4) have never really been lookers. They had strong art direction which helped to balance out the visual fidelity.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well yeah i don't really like the visuals at all, but then i'm not the best objective judge since i don't like 343's artistic design choices in general, and think they really took out a lot of what made Bungie's Halo so special in general, like the great skyboxes, wide level design and sprawling map systems.

In terms of a graphical perspective it looks fine trying to adhere to a 60fps target. For XB1's level of power, getting that at a full 60fps seems like a decent trade off, although i don't really like dynamic res at all.

All in all, they have their priorities, i don't think people should be bringing out pitchforks considering there are also 4 AI teammates to consider.

Akai__

As far as graphics go... I don't know what to think yet. They showed the same UNSC ship like 3 times now and I'm not heavily impressed by that art style. However, we have seen outside scenery and it looked pretty awesome, except for some aliasing issues.

I believe the game will look just fine, but my priority is gameplay. We are now 2 months away from release and we haven't seen much yet. Hopefully they have something planed for the upcomming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom