• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone have a pic of that insane jump from Super Mario Bros. lost levels?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
images.google.com

'smbll'

Have fun digging. I see the pic, but the host has been hacked, so I can't link to it.

Kuramu

man, i love lost levels.... i wish it would show up as a DS or GBA title. The jump thing... are you talking about the insane springboard jump level?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
This one was a bitch when I played it back on the nes.

SuperMarioAll-Stars-SuperMarioBros-TheLostLevels-WorldC-Area3.png

Ech, i hated that game. Doesnt it have a spot where you have to jump, hit an invisble block, and get back to land so you can jump on top?

All in one momentum powered jump?

SNES nor GBC, I never got too far in that game

Don't forget that you usually had to get running room to clear the longer jumps in SMB, and you couldn't back up to the left to get it if you already scrolled right. So if you didn't remember where it was, or screwed up in any way, you were pretty much doomed to die, if I remember correctly.

That jump wasn't that bad. If you were going max speed, you pretty much landed right on it, no problem. Some of the other jumps in the game were shorter, but harder because you had to aim your landing.

World 6-3 in the ARCADE Vs. Super Mario Bros. was so hard, they took it out of the NES version. That level was a bitch.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Leondexter said:
World 6-3 in the ARCADE Vs. Super Mario Bros. was so hard, they took it out of the NES version.

As far as I've been able to tell, the Arcade Vs. Super Mario Bros. is a weird hackery of the NES and Famicom games. You can't very well "take out" something from the NES version, as the NES version predates it.

I do recall a jump in SMB2j/TLL that requires two giant leaps AND bouncing off a flying Koopa Paratroopa. That was nuts.

M3wThr33

Banned
Leondexter said:
That jump wasn't that bad. If you were going max speed, you pretty much landed right on it, no problem. Some of the other jumps in the game were shorter, but harder because you had to aim your landing.

World 6-3 in the ARCADE Vs. Super Mario Bros. was so hard, they took it out of the NES version. That level was a bitch.

No, but programming wind wasn't something in SMB.

Kuramu said:
man, i love lost levels.... i wish it would show up as a DS or GBA title. The jump thing... are you talking about the insane springboard jump level?

It was released for GBA in Japan, I wish I can have it :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
HyperZone<3 said:
That jump is from SMB1's Level 8-1.

I think I know what the original request is talking about, but I don't really remember where it was. SMB2j is packed with insanely hard platforming situations. There were entire countries of brave mario troopers lying dead at the bottom of cliffs and pits after I finally managed to beat that game.

Red Scarlet

Someday I want to know someone that beat VS. Super Mario Bros.

6-3 was nuts; only got to 6-4 one time and it was a different level than a variation of 1-4 like on the NES.

DDayton

Red Scarlet said:
6-3 was nuts; only got to 6-4 one time and it was a different level than a variation of 1-4 like on the NES.

I'm hoping Nintendo has Vs. Super Mario Bros., and their other arcade titles, available on the Revolution's download system. I'd like to play the real Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Mario Bros., and Punch-Out!! again.

DDayton

Red Scarlet said:
Didn't the arcade Punch-Out!! kinda suck though? Bald Bull was the last guy or something.

*doesn't know*

I only played the arcade Punch-Out!! once... at a 7-11 somewhere.

Actually, it's possible I only saw the arcade Punch-Out!! at the 7-11. I find it doubtful that I would have been in a position to have free time in a random 7-11 store whilst I was down in San Diego, due to my age.

What I'm hoping for is for all Nintendo's classic arcade titles to be available -- not only the watered down Famicom/NES ports. However, I already know we won't get them... sigh. Punch-Out!!, Super Punch-Out!!, Arm Wrestling, Donkey Kong, and other games just sound like they'd be fun to actually play.

(Yes, I know about MAME.)

The jump posted from SMB1 isn't even the hardest one. There's one much harder where you have a pipe, then two separate poles to start on, and a long jump. To get enough speed, you must run across the hole between the poles, and to not fall in to begin with you must start at the very left of the first pole.

Is the jump being referred to one where you start off on a super springboard and launch out of screen? Then for a couple of screens you're fighting wind (still out of screen) then finally it stops as you have to land on a 1 block wide post?

You had to line up mario for when he fell down from out of the top of the screen, based on how he kind of remained centred the whole time.
ie, it was a nightmare!

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
the androgyne said:
Is the jump being referred to one where you start off on a super springboard and launch out of screen? The for a couple of screens you're fighting wind (still out of screen) then finally it stops as you have to land on a 1 block wide post?

You had to line up mario for when he fell down from out of the top of the screen, based on how he kind of remained centred the whole time.
ie, it was a nightmare!

That sounds familiar. I'm gonna have to break out this game and play it again, pretty much forget how hard it was.

The game was hard alright! evidenced by the fact that even doing the 128 lives trick didn't help me much! One nite about 10 years ago i finished the game.. after doing a marathon of SMB1 (level 1-8 repeatedly until i got 9,999,999 on the score :) )

I'm just reading gamefaqs now and it sounds a bit different to how i remember but i think it's pretty close to that.

Red Scarlet said:

I beat it, many times. And I used to stand in awe of some of the other players while I waited my turn. :)

DavidDayton said:
As far as I've been able to tell, the Arcade Vs. Super Mario Bros. is a weird hackery of the NES and Famicom games. You can't very well "take out" something from the NES version, as the NES version predates it.

I do recall a jump in SMB2j/TLL that requires two giant leaps AND bouncing off a flying Koopa Paratroopa. That was nuts.

Are you sure the arcade one wasn't first? Because there were two worlds in the home version that were used twice, but that had unique levels in the arcade. I believe they were 3-3 and 6-3. It seems strange that they would re-use levels--it makes more sense that they were removed for some reason (difficulty, or perhaps memory).

I don't doubt that the home version arrived first, but I wonder if the game wasn't already designed for the arcade when they thought up the Famicom. Back then, they were coming off a string of arcade hits; they must have had more planned when the market crashed.

SuomiDude

Himuro said:
I haven't played Lost Levels but from what I've heard it's hard on ridiculous levels. Apparently there's a level where there's a HUUUUGE jump and there's one tiny area you can jump onto and then followed by another HUUUUUUUUGE jump. So basically you can can't lose momentum at all or you can't make the jump. I saw a pic of it and I don't even think it's possible.

I'm looking for that pic.

Don't have a pic of it, but I know what you're talking about. The jump is actually very easy once you know what you must do. And what you must do is simply to center the screen to a right place compared to the small platform. I think the platform must be either a bit left or a bit right from the center of the screen.

Though I only have Super Mario All Stars version of it, might be different in the original.

Red Scarlet said:

Wow, I think I'm the only one that doesn't know what VS. Super Mario Bros. is. Is that another name for lost levels? SMB was actually in the arcade? I know of MB, but SMB?

Kuramu

the androgyne said:
Is the jump being referred to one where you start off on a super springboard and launch out of screen? Then for a couple of screens you're fighting wind (still out of screen) then finally it stops as you have to land on a 1 block wide post?

ie, it was a nightmare!
This was the part i thought he was talking about. Man, i love how hard this game was. If Gaming was a college course, SMB Lost Levels would be the final exam

DDayton

Leondexter said:
Are you sure the arcade one wasn't first? Because there were two worlds in the home version that were used twice, but that had unique levels in the arcade. I believe they were 3-3 and 6-3. It seems strange that they would re-use levels--it makes more sense that they were removed for some reason (difficulty, or perhaps memory).

I don't doubt that the home version arrived first, but I wonder if the game wasn't already designed for the arcade when they thought up the Famicom. Back then, they were coming off a string of arcade hits; they must have had more planned when the market crashed.

I've been trying to figure this one out for a while now. The arcade boards for Vs. SMB say 1985, which would mark it as a post-SMB release (given SMB being released so early in Japan). The Vs. games were all based on modified Famicom hardware, and the arcade unit appear just after (or is it "just at") the time the Famicom itself was released. The implication is that most Vs. games were developed side by side with their Famicom counterparts (see http://nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ac/index.shtml for a list of Vs. titles).

The arcade Super Mario Bros. has the "Vs." bit on the title screen, and was released in arcades in 1986 (although the boards say 1985). SMB for the Famicom was released in about September 1985. It seems probable they were developed concurrently, or that the Vs. version was done just after the Famicom one.

Someone needs to do a little research on the Vs. arcade games -- they are (almost) all arcade versions of NES/Famicom games, and they generally look about the same. However, they are all just a bit different in gameplay and modes.

Red Scarlet

Bataman said:
Wow, I think I'm the only one that doesn't know what VS. Super Mario Bros. is. Is that another name for lost levels? SMB was actually in the arcade? I know of MB, but SMB?

Yeah it was the arcade version of SMB. It had similar layouts for some levels but some things were different (I couldn't find 1-ups from 1-2 onward) like the 4-2 warp only goes to World 6, 6-3 is still an ice world but looks a lot different layout-wise, and 6-4 was some level I had never seen before (didn't get far into it with 1 life).

i think that is from SMB and not Lost Levels, unless there is a similar one in both games. We used to call it "The Jesse Owens" when i was a kid.

Top Bottom