Anyone here from ResetEra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2010
I'm on both under the same username but post on here more due to the variety of viewpoints. Even when NewGAF was OldGAF I rarely posted due to the speed at which conversations and threads moved. Hopefully GAF eventually gets about 20% to 30% more activity and then it would be ideal.

Sep 6, 2004
users.ign.com
I frequent both places, lot of good folks at both sites but I like the culture here more.

I will say that the mods here are top notch and visiting other places makes me appreciate the mods we currently have here. They stay behind the scenes and keep things going smoothly and allow good discourse as long as it doesn’t get it out of hand, but when things do get heated they give fair warnings and are slow to pull the trigger unless absolutely necessary.

Good job GAF admin/mods/techs!

Jan 6, 2009
Norfolk, England
I frequent both places, lot of good folks at both sites but I like the culture here more.

I will say that the mods here are top notch and visiting other places makes me appreciate the mods we currently have here. They stay behind the scenes and keep things going smoothly and allow good discourse as long as it doesn’t get it out of hand, but when things do get heated they give fair warnings and are slow to pull the trigger unless absolutely necessary.

Good job GAF admin/mods/techs!
Here here.

I'd say to those that may be stopping in from over there, please do feel free to chime in. Debate. Discuss. Exchange opinion.

That's the whole point of this, right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff member
May 30, 2004
Last edited:

Grivenger

Matsuno's Goebbels
Feb 26, 2006
Portugal
I visit both everyday, but I'm not a very active poster in either (or any) forum.

Reset has a more active community, so gaming news spread more often and that is fun to read. On the unfortunate side, the moderation team is both biased and protective of a selected group of members, letting them running rampant all over that place, dogpiling and flaming at will with few to no repercussions, while other posters are banned for the smallest of things. It used to be like that at old gaf as well, so you can imagine where those people came from.

The best thing about new gaf is that the moderation is much better now. There's actual room for discussion here, and it's no longer an echo chamber. However, the migration did slow down the number of posts over here, but it seems things are also getting better over time. I think as more and more people realize how much healthier neogaf became, they're more likely to come back and stay.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2009
I just started going there almost a month ago, it's a good forum but I don't spend much time there, mostly lurk.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Both sites are good.

GAF
- Less activity, but I find the discussion better
- Moderated, but not to death. Don't have to post thinking you're on pins and needles
- Good mix of gaming and non-gaming threads. People have opinions, but highly emotional fucktardary is rare

Resetera
- Tons of threads and posts, which is good for variety, but hard to follow. So many posts get lost in the shuffle
- Stupidly moderated. It's like a gun is always aimed at your head and an opinion not liked by a mod or reported by another user leads to insta-ban
- Good mix of gaming and non-gaming threads. People have opinions, and the amount of extreme views, cussing, and insults is off the charts especially in non-gaming threads

GAF is like going to a sports event and sitting close to the action. Much more quiet and a good view of the field. You don't see a security guard in sight. Resetera is like sitting in balcony seating. Also provides a good view, but people can be drunk as fuck. Stadium guards all over the place watching these sections like a hawk.

Last edited:

Biff

Dec 31, 2008
Canada
Real talk @NeoGAF @EviLore -- How do we get user activity back up to pre-RE levels? Is there a hope in hell of this ever happening again? Are activity trends still seeing positive inflection?

The most valuable part of GAF was the insanely high user activity that turned this site into the best real-time breaking news aggregator I had ever seen. I learned about some of the most important stories of the past decade within MINUTES of it happening - well before CNN would break the news. Now RE has the users and the excellent user activity, but the alt-left moderation makes the site an unusable echo chamber.

Look on the first page of RE off-topic. Half of the threads show the latest post "a moment ago" (i.e. <1 min). Now look at GAF. It's still like a graveyard.

I don't have the answers. I know some will say "I like the slower pace these days!" but that's not true for the vast majority of people. Activity > content >> activity >>> content >>>> etc.. Maybe there needs to be some kind of mass sign-up drive. Or some kind of incentive system to get people to post more/create more threads. Hopefully smart people than me have better ideas.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Real talk @NeoGAF @EviLore -- How do we get user activity back up to pre-RE levels? Is there a hope in hell of this ever happening again? Are activity trends still seeing positive inflection?

The most valuable part of GAF was the insanely high user activity that turned this site into the best real-time breaking news aggregator I had ever seen. I learned about some of the most important stories of the past decade within MINUTES of it happening - well before CNN would break the news. Now RE has the users and the excellent user activity, but the alt-left moderation makes the site an unusable echo chamber.

Look on the first page of RE off-topic. Half of the threads show the latest post "a moment ago" (i.e. <1 min). Now look at GAF. It's still like a graveyard.

I don't have the answers. I know some will say "I like the slower pace these days!" but that's not true for the vast majority of people. Activity > content >> activity >>> content >>>> etc.. Maybe there needs to be some kind of mass sign-up drive. Or some kind of incentive system to get people to post more/create more threads. Hopefully smart people than me have better ideas.
The answer is good people stay and contribute. I know you didn’t ask me, but that’s the answer.

You can do so if you’d like and I’m sure everyone here would appreciate your contributions.

Activity is lower than 12 months ago because people who used to be here and contributed, even if they came back, don’t contribute at the levels necessary to provide you with the activity level you desire.

Hate to sound like a feed the children charity commercial, but you can make a difference :messenger_peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.