• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone play the Wii yet? (you'll need ID)

G-Fex

Yeah I went to gamestop today see other thread I made. And they had the wii, and I asked the guy about the nunchucks and controller and he said sure but I'd have to s how ID. Turns out since the thing is wireless and all and they're not going to use a teather cord or something to hold the controller like on the cell phones in stores but they just want you to turn in ID and they'll let you play. That's how I got to play excitetruck today. Anyone else tried yet?

KINGMOKU

Yeah, I got my hands on one today, and wow was I blown away. Super sensitive, small(Tiny) and just cool to look at.

I am ****ing sold. I was waiting untill I got to play it, and seeing as how I am a racing fan first, and then a videogame fan, I can ony imagine how damn cool a GT-esque type of game is going to be. Excite truck was cool, as was the multiplayer.

It was funny as hell. There were a bunch of people standing around it watching people, and me and my brother play, all of them laughing like kids on a playground at how we were all controlling the thing.

One guy almost fell over, and another for some reason had his hands above his head while stearing.

This is that "new" thing I've been waiting for, and now I REALLY want to try out Monkeyball, FPS of any kind, and a basketball/football game.

Completly sold like a junkie to crack.

ManaByte

Gold Member
moku said:
Yeah, I got my hands on one today, and wow was I blown away. Super sensitive, small(Tiny) and just cool to look at.

I am ****ing sold. I was waiting untill I got to play it, and seeing as how I am a racing fan first, and then a videogame fan, I can ony imagine how damn cool a GT-esque type of game is going to be. Excite truck was cool, as was the multiplayer.

It was funny as hell. There were a bunch of people standing around it watching people, and me and my brother play, all of them laughing like kids on a playground at how we were all controlling the thing.

One guy almost fell over, and another for some reason had his hands above his head while stearing.

This is that "new" thing I've been waiting for, and now I REALLY want to try out Monkeyball, FPS of any kind, and a basketball/football game.

Completly sold like a junkie to crack.

Yea I saw a couple of teenagers trying to act "cocky and funny" by making fun of people for "playing with their little wii in public" but as soon as they tried it they shut up and asked if they could pre-order one :lol :lol :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
I played it again today, every one was looking at me. My favorite comments were the following:

- "The graphics don't look any better. Why would you want it when you can just get a Gamecube?"
"Dad, it's about the controller"
"Whatever"

- "Oh daaaaaamn, I've been meaning to ask you what that s*** it!"

- "Woah, like, you're like... moving it"

- "Does it play Halo 3?"

Seriously, EVERYONE was looking at it. And Excite Truck was so much fun. I got quite good.

I played Excite Truck which does take some adjustment but was an interesting experience. The ambassadors at NWS told me that it controls best by tilting it along a Y-axis (think parallel to the ground is straight and perpendicular to the ground is fully turning) which did work but didn't really make sense in terms of being like a steering wheel.

I've also played Wii Tennis, Wii Bowling, and Wii Boxing.
I sucked really bad at boxing and wasn't sure if it was properly recognizing my movements, but then I would probably suck at boxing so it was more me than the game. Another guy did much better.
Wii Bowling did seem to recognize nuances the most but I can't imagine ever having that much fun with it in a single-player environment.
Wii Tennis is still my favorite out of the three I tried. You don't control the Miis movement, but the game still has a hectic feel to it despite that which I like. Everytime I played, it was always 2on2 single player so I'm not sure if the game can do singles or not. I would hope so.

Super Monkey Ball is controlled by pointing? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the NES-style way of holding the controls? Could someone clarify the controls for this?

I really just hope that Nintendo documents controls well in-game and in the manual because there might be a lot of confusion about which axis to move the controller along and what not.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
G-Fex said:
this a smartass answer or real one? Cause I searched and there wasn't one. I didn't know. So forgive me wii-fan.

lol is you mockin' mah sexualitity?

Game-Biz

ivysaur12 said:
I played it again today, every one was looking at me. My favorite comments were the following:

- "The graphics don't look any better. Why would you want it when you can just get a Gamecube?"
"Dad, it's about the controller"
"Whatever"

- "Oh daaaaaamn, I've been meaning to ask you what that s*** it!"

- "Woah, like, you're like... moving it"

- "Does it play Halo 3?"

Seriously, EVERYONE was looking at it. And Excite Truck was so much fun. I got quite good.

Haha. When I was playing ExciteTruck at GameStop there was a group of like 7 or 8 people just watching me play. As I was playing some emo kid was talking to an GameStop employee and the conversation went something like this:

EmoKid: Yeah, the Wii is actually just a GameCube, except it looks different.

Employee: What?

Emokid: Yeah, it's just a GameCube. The Wii is what Nintendo originally wanted the Gamecube to be, but they didn't have time to do it.

Employee: Uhh...I think you're mistaken, the Wii isn't that powerful, but it has more power than the GameCube.

Emokid: No, it actually has the exact same technology...which is pretty lame.

Me: Where did you hear this from?

Emokid: (pause) ...The internet.

Me: :l

Employee: :l

I just got a go at Myer in Indooroopilly, Brisbane, Australia.

I played through the dungeon of zelda and a game of wii tennis.

Tennis was quite fun, though a bit wierd as I used my left hand as thats what I play tennis with (or used to). It feels pretty good. I would really like it though if they had a mode where you could use the nunchuk also to run your character around the court.

The graphics were nice and crisp.

Now, onto Zelda. The 2 chicks they had there were the usual promo blonde bimbos that wouldnt have a clue whats going on. There was about a 3 year old kid who played fishing and just kept casting and winding the thing in for 5 minutes. This was agony for me...

Half way through that, the machine turned off itself. Oh noes! Zelda!! It took about 20mins for the chick and some store guy to do something to get it working. I guess I should have stepped in but I let them work it out. ****ing noobs.

Anyway, after it got working again, the kid had another go of "fishing" though he didnt get anywhere near a fish AGAIN. So then I finally got a go.

It was a version with the title screen and trailer playing that came out last week. Once pressing A+B on title screen it would show a seizure warning screen, and then a screen to select the dungeon or fishing. I chose dungeon and had a go.

The control was pretty interesting. It was a bit wierd getting used to the old 'Z' to center camera technique, but the feeling of swordfighting and waggling was fun...lol. The aiming with the arrow was pretty sensitive, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't calibrated at all, since there are full calibration settings (I didnt look into these though cos it was a time demo).

Anyway, I got through to the end and fought the fire boss. Now I can't wait. Damn you Americans! 26 days left for me :(

KINGMOKU

Wierd. I keep hearing about people acting to cool to play the Wii, or downplay it as as a gamecube, but everyone that was at that gamestop was laughing, and having fun with the Wii. There was a crowd when I got there, and almost everyone who came in, tried the thing.

The thing I forgot to mention was how cool the speaker in the wiimote is. I never gave it a second thought when announced, but that is one sweet little inclusion. It really does make you more immersed into the game(Excite truck) that you play.

The biggest thing I noticed about the experience was how everyone was talking, and laughing while playing, or watchimg. Very different from other kiosk experiences I've had. Usually people play in silince, and people peer over thier shoulders. This was like a playground type of experience.

Very cool, and very fun.

Smokey

You guys were impressed by Excitetruck? I work at EB, so I was playing it all day yesterday and it didn't seem all that good to me. Nice way to show off the controller, but gamewise I think I would've rather them put in Wii sports.

SumGamer

EphemeralDream said:
Wii Tennis is still my favorite out of the three I tried. You don't control the Miis movement, but the game still has a hectic feel to it despite that which I like. Everytime I played, it was always 2on2 single player so I'm not sure if the game can do singles or not. I would hope so.

I think it's a good thing, it give you a chance to choose wheter you wanna hit at the back of the court or front of the net. If there is only one Mii on the side, you will get frustuated when it goes to the net and you want him to stay back, etc.

I played at the NWS and it was crazy there. Lots of people huddling over the Wiis (though still more over SSBM). I stuck with the Wii Sports, which was awesome (except that Baseball was WAAAAAY too easy).

It was funny though because from time to time I would see some kid from the SSBM area come over and say, "What is this? It looks stupid. It doesn't look real. Why would I buy this? I'm more of a Playstation guy, myself."

The Gamestop near my house is in the middle of suburbia and the place is swarming with unattented 12 year olds, meaning I was the only one there with a licence + credit card for most of the time :D So despite my efforts to pass the controller on to anyone who looked able, I played it by myself or with someone else for a couple of hours or so. I made several Miis, including Samuel L. Jackson and a not-very-believable Jennifer Love Hewitt, as well as a couple of people in the store, played Excite Truck long enough to unlock the Gold races (they get pretty hard there!), and dinked around in the system menu.

I want the damn thing even more now, heh. Excite Truck was a lot of fun, and after getting used to the controls, I don't know how I can go back to shitty analog sticks and 50 buttons! Seriously, it felt so much more natural. I thought maybe finally seeing a Wii and playing with it would get me to "Goal Obtained, Lose Interest" but now I'm just MORE excited. This system is going to be a lot of fun. :)

And I can't wait to get mine home and get to play around with the internet stuff :lol

KINGMOKU

Space Kimchi said:
The Gamestop near my house is in the middle of suburbia and the place is swarming with unattented 12 year olds, meaning I was the only one there with a licence + credit card for most of the time :D So despite my efforts to pass the controller on to anyone who looked able, I played it by myself or with someone else for a couple of hours or so. I made several Miis, including Samuel L. Jackson and a not-very-believable Jennifer Love Hewitt, as well as a couple of people in the store, played Excite Truck long enough to unlock the Gold races (they get pretty hard there!), and dinked around in the system menu.

I want the damn thing even more now, heh. Excite Truck was a lot of fun, and after getting used to the controls, I don't know how I can go back to shitty analog sticks and 50 buttons! Seriously, it felt so much more natural. I thought maybe finally seeing a Wii and playing with it would get me to "Goal Obtained, Lose Interest" but now I'm just MORE excited. This system is going to be a lot of fun. :)

And I can't wait to get mine home and get to play around with the internet stuff :lol
It really does feel more natural. The only thing is that when you turn the wiimote, it seems that every part of my body does it to. I wonder if I will react the same way if I sit down? I was bending my knees, turning my whole damn body at times.

I was just playing some more FE and I wished it was with the Wiimote. :(

Does anyone know if other stores have kiosks, and of they have different game available to play?

Oh did anyone that went to the NWS notice that there is a Johnny Drama (from Entourage) Mii on one of the consoles? It's on the second floor in that little segmented area (all the way by the window).

I think it was even cooler than his being in the Godfather (especially since you can use him with a golf club).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Nintendo World event in Osaka is tomorrow morning. I`ll be heading over to the Intex convention center at around 8am. Doors open at 9am.

I`ll take lots of photos, and let you guys know how it was. They`re going to have a whackload of games to play, but I`ll have to hit the Zelda line first. The wait on that is ridiculous.

rod

Banned
i played the wii today. they had wii kiosks at bondi westfields and i played excitetruck zelda and wii sports. heres my impressions.

excite truck: graphically the most impressive title i played imo, but it has a HORRIBLE framerate. seriously i saw this jumping from 60s to the low 20s. it was all over the place. but the game had some night lighting and truck models and water effects and the motion blur was nice too.controlled nice imo.

zelda. was very fun from what i p;layed, but man, is it ever dissapointing graphically. this is the first time ive ever seen it IN REAL LIFE, and to be honest, its pretty ugly. it has really nice art but technically, textures are horrible, really ugly green/brown haze to it (think mgs2 blue, or mgs3 green) and it was EXTREMELY jaggy. regardless, il be getting the game and it will pwn me for a month probably.

wii sports: utter shit. and looks it too. very basic minigames, i played tennis (you dont control the players themselves? WTF?) and bowling (snore). stupid pack in, but eh, whatever.

my 2c.

rod said:
i played the wii today. they had wii kiosks at bondi westfields and i played excitetruck zelda and wii sports. heres my impressions.

excite truck: graphically the most impressive title i played imo, but it has a HORRIBLE framerate. seriously i saw this jumping from 60s to the low 20s. it was all over the place. but the game had some night lighting and truck models and water effects and the motion blur was nice too.controlled nice imo.

zelda. was very fun from what i p;layed, but man, is it ever dissapointing graphically. this is the first time ive ever seen it IN REAL LIFE, and to be honest, its pretty ugly. it has really nice art but technically, textures are horrible, really ugly green/brown haze to it (think mgs2 blue, or mgs3 green) and it was EXTREMELY jaggy. regardless, il be getting the game and it will pwn me for a month probably.

wii sports: utter shit. and looks it too. very basic minigames, i played tennis (you dont control the players themselves? WTF?) and bowling (snore). stupid pack in, but eh, whatever.

my 2c.

Ummmm, gameplay impressions?

unifin

I hope that's sarcasm... haven't heard any complaints about Excitetruck's framerate so far...

... are Zelda and Wii Sports even playable at kiosks?

it was cool at EB before security made them take it away cos the crowd was blocking off the main walking area.

lots of inquisitive people and some older folks got into it and were asking questions. nintendo am win.

rod

Banned
unifin said:
I hope that's sarcasm... haven't heard any complaints about Excitetruck's framerate so far...

... are Zelda and Wii Sports even playable at kiosks?

no, i just made it up.
come on guys, i know this thread is full of nbots, but cant a guy post impressions without being called a liar?

TheTrin said:
The Nintendo World event in Osaka is tomorrow morning. I`ll be heading over to the Intex convention center at around 8am. Doors open at 9am.

I`ll take lots of photos, and let you guys know how it was. They`re going to have a whackload of games to play, but I`ll have to hit the Zelda line first. The wait on that is ridiculous.

Take lots of pics and get impressions of stuff

StRaNgE

Banned
played it again today.

found out something interesting about the controls to excite truck.

2 things.

one you do not have to push up on the pad to get boost, you can push any direction.

2nd. if you tilt the controller down to your left or right you get a hard quick angled turn.

if you push it up forward right or forward left instead, you get a much tamer smaller less drastic turn.

when combined you can get an intersting turn effect.
if you are pushing forward and down it snaps it pertty tight as well

AdmiralViscen said:
Does Nintendo World Store still have long lines? I'm planning a trip on Monday.
I was there on Friday from about 2:00-4:00 and the lines were there but you could probably play everything within 2 hours. There were quite a bit of kids, but on Monday it shouldn't be anywhere near as bad. For whatever reason, a lot of games that were there at the Saturday party were switched out so there's much less variety upstairs. Don't know if the setup from today is permanent or not.

Last Saturday (11/04)
3 Wii Sports (Boxing is only available downstairs)
Dragonball Z
Call of Duty 3
Rampage
Madden
Rayman
2 Excite Truck
Super Monkey Ball
Twilight Princess

Today (11/10)
6 Wii Sports (3 Downstairs/3 Upstairs)
Madden
Super Monkey Ball
4 Excite Truck

SuomiDude

rod said:
excite truck: graphically the most impressive title i played imo, but it has a HORRIBLE framerate. seriously i saw this jumping from 60s to the low 20s. it was all over the place.
Those "framerate drops" were when you hit a tree or another car and got busted... btw, it's called slow motion :lol

meppi

StRaNgE said:
2nd. if you tilt the controller down to your left or right you get a hard quick angled turn.

if you push it up forward right or forward left instead, you get a much tamer smaller less drastic turn.

when combined you can get an intersting turn effect.
if you are pushing forward and down it snaps it pertty tight as well

Sound perfect for WaveRace. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
rod said:
no, i just made it up.
come on guys, i know this thread is full of nbots, but cant a guy post impressions without being called a liar?
dunno, I'll call you a wanker for using needless spoiler tags though!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone in Netherlands seen a demo unit anywhere?
:(

MMaRsu

Banned
catfish said:
dunno, I'll call you a wanker for using needless spoiler tags though!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone in Netherlands seen a demo unit anywhere?

Not yet, but we are still like 3 weeks away from launch right?

meppi

catfish said:
Anyone in Netherlands seen a demo unit anywhere?
Not spotted a demo unit here in Belgium, but the last time I went to the local media market they did have a unit set up showing video footage. So that spot was probably reserved for the demo unit.

I'll check back next week when I go DVD shopping. ;)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
MMaRsu said:
Not yet, but we are still like 3 weeks away from launch right?

yeah, I thought they would want to start the buzz around same time US gets them though. I just wanna play it! Can't be assed tripping out to media markt though. I always have a miserable experience there.

rod

Banned
SuomiDude said:
Those "framerate drops" were when you hit a tree or another car and got busted... btw, it's called slow motion :lol

no not really, im pretty knowledgeable with framerates, and unless this was like an EARLY version or something? i dunno but the framerate was all over the place. it ran at a nice 60fps tho when your truck was the only one on screen :)

seriously this place needs to relax a bit. the topic doesnt day ZOMG WII WANKFEST IN HERE PLZ

i was just posting my impressions for what i played today. im never able to post impressions of consoles because they usually hit my country a lot later than you guys get them. so when i saw wii there i was suprised! i had a good 15 minute go of each game, and i posted what i thought. thats all. relax guys i love the ds!!:lol

rod

Banned
oh and catfish, personal attacks? come on man, i thought you were too cool a poster to be resorting to that kind of stuff :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
rod said:
oh and catfish, personal attacks? come on man, i thought you were too cool a poster to be resorting to that kind of stuff :(
it's not personal, I hate everyone equally that uses needless spoiler tags :p Probably a little rude though. Sorry. At least I didn't criticise your opinion on the game though, that's something right?!

Tuff

Banned
Game-Biz said:
Haha. When I was playing ExciteTruck at GameStop there was a group of like 7 or 8 people just watching me play. As I was playing some emo kid was talking to an GameStop employee and the conversation went something like this:

Emokid: Yeah, it's just a GameCube. The Wii is what Nintendo originally wanted the Gamecube to be, but they didn't have time to do it.

Employee: Uhh...I think you're mistaken, the Wii isn't that powerful, but it has more power than the GameCube.

Uh, Nintendo DID want to have this motion sensor controller to ship with the Gamecube, but it didn't work out.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Tuff said:
Uh, Nintendo DID want to have this motion sensor controller to ship with the Gamecube, but it didn't work out.

perhaps the annoyance rises over the "it's just a gamecube" comment?

Game-Biz said:

If I had any local GameStops I would just walk into one and randomly punch whoever is behind the register.

Amir0x

Banned
rod said:

my 2c.

I'm pretty knowledgeable with framerates too... and I can't say I noticed these TERRIBLE dips in Excite Truck. The game itself wasn't anything special, just a bit of fun, but the framerate I cannot complain about. Framerate honestly seemed consistent to me, but I guess it's harder to be as discerning as I usually am when just sitting at home... we'll see what happens when I rent it.

Top Bottom