• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone still using their Original Nintendo DS?

pikablu

With all the debate on which 3DS is the best and all the previous debate on whether to get the DSLite or the DSi or even the DSXL, does anyone actually prefer the original? I myself have never even played on the original as I'm still rocking my DSlite. I'm picking up that Pokemon 3dsxl on launch day though.

jfNdV1L.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The only DS I own is the launch one. I use it from time to time but I've pretty much moved on to the 3DS. Great system.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The DS has one big thing over the 3DS - battery life. When I go on a journey that's quite long, I bring my DS with me.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I love my DS Phat. I had a Lite but I traded it in toward my 3DS, but even before that I still preferred the Phat for the comfort and loud speakers.

It's a shame we can't have comfortable handhelds anymore.

My launch DS has been broke ever since the 2nd year I had it. I dropped it by accident over a balcony and the screen got cracked badly. So I just got a DSLite instead.

I still use my DSLite. I use it to play Pokemon Black 2 since the 3DSXL doesn't do the game justice.

balohna

I have one. It was my only DS until I bought a 3DS this year. I still use it whenever I want to play a GBA game (my only other GBA is the original model of that), and I had been using it for DS games. I often considered getting a Lite or DSi, but ultimately decided to just wait and get a 3DS. The worst part about it is probably that the screen isn't very bright, but post-Lite DS games were often made with that screen in mind so they look extra garbagey on it. My use of it from 2008-2013 was pretty limited, but I did dump a bunch of hours into Chrono Trigger on it circa 2011 or so.

Dug

Banned
I found my Phat DS a couple of days ago and decided to open it up and play around with it. It felt really weird using it after using a 3DS XL

Until last year. I didn't notice before, but just a month or so after getting a 3DS, looking at that thing again just made me realize how terrible it really looks.

Sadly, I dropped it recently and the fucking upper screen is now loose :(

Zalman

For some reason, I still have mine. Never use it though.

I have yet to meet someone who prefers it to the newer models.

Fey

Banned
I use my DSi as an alarm.

Other then that, I rarely use them anymore. Use 3DS for DS and 3DS games and SP for GBA and GBC games.

I use the original over my lite and DSi for games though, if I ever use a DS over 3DS. Buttons on lite are too mushy and L and R don't work on DSi.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I still have a red mario kart bundle DS. I used it up until I bought my 3DS XL back in February. I haven't played any of my original DS games since then, so its just been sitting on the desk all this time.

pikablu

I'd be interested to know how many people that purchased Pokemon Black 2 /Whtie 2 were still using the original DS to play it.

If I ever want to play Gunstar Super Heroes or Astro Boy: Omega Factor, yep. If I could remember where I put it, I'd totally blow through them before work.

Unfortunately I am only using it because I broke the hinge on my dslite. The brightness, color, and everything on the screen is bad compared to my lite.

I'll replace with 3DS XL for pokemeon later.

eidoqI8.jpg

x3sphere

Nope, and I really didn't like the d-pad on the OG DS. Too flat and there wasn't much of a click, as far as I can remember.

Nairume

Banned
I still have the DS phat I bought launch morning. It works like a champ, but the battery has been struggling to last more than an hour or two for years now.

My 3DS obviously gets the majority of my portable attention, but the old DS still gets some play every couple of weeks.

I'd be interested to know how many people that purchased Pokemon Black 2 /Whtie 2 were still using the original DS to play it.

I did. The DSLite not being able to detect my router because of WPA, and me getting sick of not being able to go online with Pokemon was the final straw. I got an XL a week or so ago.

Ludist210

I sold mine for a DS Lite in 2008...great little system. I'm rocking an Aqua Blue 3DS right now, and my wife has a Rose DS Lite.

Doczu

Still got mine. Beaten as shit, paint coming off the lid, scratches and marks on the touch screen and the place to put in the stylus is loose like... you know.
But i can't throw it away. My best handheld.
7ZrvbQ9.jpg

Could've gotten a lite. And don't you have a 3DS already?
A 3DS and a 3DS XL. I'm still using the XL for most DS games, of course.

I got a phat because I wanted something cheap to play Pokemon Emerald and Mario Kart DS on after my Lite died (Mario Kart DS really, really needs a D-pad that isn't in an awkward position). Getting a Lite that was guaranteed to be 100% functional would've cost a bit more, taken more effort, and wasn't worth it to me for something I'll only be using for a few games.

I used a phat for years and enjoyed it so I was fine with getting a phat. I have no regrets.

Broke a long time ago (launch unit!). Replaced it with a DS Lite and never looked back. But now a I have 3DS XL.

There were a few things better with the OG DS. Best D-pad ever in existence, easier to hold, better speakers. Ugh, but that screen. It's so terrible compared to the other DS iterations. Can't go back to it.

Seriously, why doesn't Nintendo use that d-pad anymore? It's so amazing.

Morts

I have no idea where mine is, which is a bummer because I want it from time to time to play GBA games (I never had a Lite).

I still have my DSi though, which I prefer to the 3DS for original DS games.

On more than one occasion in the past 5 years, I've seen people playing an OG Game Boy. People do pretty dumb stuff sometimes.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Mine can't even hold a charge for 30 min on a DS game... so it's stuck in a drawer to collect dust.

On more than one occasion in the past 5 years, I've seen people playing an OG Game Boy. People do pretty dumb stuff sometimes.
How so? Playing on an OG GB as opposed to, say, a GBA SP means that it's not nearly as bad if somebody rips the bugger out of their hands and runs.

Also, the pre-backlit systems work just fine in the sun.

Top Bottom