• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone still using their Original Nintendo DS?

Andrefpvs

I played 999 on it just last month, and it was great.

Unfortunately, both screens are starting to get grey horizontal lines all over the place that are simply not going away. I have a 3DS now, but the best way to play DS games is still on the original DS line, because of the poor 3DS scaling.

Reckoner

It has the best ergonomics, imo, but is worse than DSlite in any other aspect. Too bad that mine is losing some of the blue coloring on the plastic

I played 999 on it just last month, and it was great.

Unfortunately, both screens are starting to get grey horizontal lines all over the place that are simply not going away. I have a 3DS now, but the best way to play DS games is still on the original DS line, because of the poor 3DS scaling.

Original 3DS or XL? Because DS games look just as great on the XL (in 1:1 mode) as they did on the Lite/i.

RomanceDawn

Sometimes I wish I still had it. It's just once I get a new handheld I give the old one way. Lets see... Back when I made real money I gave away fatNgray, white lite, not really ice blue and settled on the most wonderful yellow Pikachu addition. Not to mention I gave away even more as brand new gifts instead of on whim, they included 3 fats and 3 lites.

I have 1 OG GameBoy advanced, 1 GB color, and 1 DS lite left, that's all I need.

jbueno

Yup, rocked an Electric Blue unit from 2005-2012 when I got my Burgundy DSi XL. Still love how it feels in my hands, much prefered it over DS Lite and DSi.

Here´s my fully functional unit, still carries some nice battery life.

xwqSzOXl.jpg

Clov

Yep, I still use my original, platinum launch model for original DS games. I never bothered upgrading to the DS Lite or the DSi. I don't upgrade my hardware that often.

I'll probably keep on using my original 3DS as well, unless future models have some kind of MASSIVE increase in battery life.

Got mine in my drawer, and it's still probably got The World Ends with You in it waiting for me to beat the last boss like it has for the last 4 years.....

El Sabroso

Still rocking my NDS Red and didn-t have any other model, don-t need it

my next handheld was actually a red 3DS XL, my NDS still wakes me up to go to work and I use it for playing pokemon and transfer pokemon from my black version to the white 2.

I was using the 3DS XL for DS games for a while, but now I'm back to the DS Lite again.

GBA games will always get played on the GBA SP (AGS-101). The screen is fine, even next to the Lite. Nothing beats the intended hardware it seems, I always seem to go back to it.

balohna

It always bugged me that you couldn't remap or clone the L and R buttons to X and Y for GBA games. As such I stick to my AGB-101.

I would have liked to remap all the controls, plus simple macros (stuff like A+L, B+R, etc.) since a lot of GBA games were ports that had to do stuff like that to be playable (Street Figther ports come to mind immediately).

Gave mine to my younger brother back when I got my first iPod touch 2g, he still plays it but not as often as a while back because he is too used to playing with my ipad and his own android tablet now.

sgt jumpy

Banned
DSlite in black, which is a replacement for the one I sold in 2009. Pretty much for GBA games. I don't mind playing DS games on the 3ds, well, I only have tried pokemon. I don't mind playing pokemon in the 3ds. I'm about to try CV:OOE in my 3ds.

Platy

Mine is borrowed to a friend.

She always had only Sony consoles and wants to catch up to Phoenix Wright and Layton games

Lumyst

My brother got the DSLite. I recently got a DSi XL, but I think it's not as nice-looking as the DSLite. The DS Phat though, looks like a clunky "gizmo" while the DSLite is a sleek, sexy "device". The Lite is such a sexy looking handheld. Every time I get the chance in a Club Nintendo survey, I gently remind Nintendo how appealing the DSLite looks and that they should do more of that style than the "toyish" look they're going for now.

I still use mine for playing GBA games!!! :D

The reason that I use it is because the D-Pad is godlike. Literally the best that I've ever used.

Yeah. Still have it. Upgrading to a lite never seemed worth it. Hinge cracked a couple days ago. I bought pokemon white recently and have had a blast. Also been playing 999.

I'll be buying a 3ds by the time x/y drop tho.

Bricky

Yup, but I've pretty much resorted to only using my 3DS now that I've got one of those. I never upgraded my original one to a lite or anything though, serviced me many years and still works like a charm (the case is damaged, but other than that its fine).

Mr-Joker

Banned
I retired my DS lite when I brought my 3DS on launch, I would have kept on using it for GBA but the d-pad were busted and you would have to press very hard to move the character.

It's primary and only use is for trading Pokémon.

Kucan

I still use mine as a glorified GBA, though sometimes it comes in handy for a quick Mario Kart DS race with the spare cart I have. Also, if my phone is toast for some reason, it's alarm feature comes in handy, which I miss in the newer DS models.

Labrys

I use my lite to play EBA/Ouendan, because I don't want to ruin the bottom screen of my XL. I've also been playing the AAI2 translation on it.

Duster

More importantly does anybody still use the thumb strap thing that came with it?

I did use it as a spare machine, sometimes for GBA games not suited to the GB Micro but mostly for multi-player titles, sadly I broke it in two right after getting Diamond Trust Of London which was lousy timing (the only console I've ever broke).

Oh and those that think it's one of the greatest d-pads will love the one on the Micro, or have different opinions, one of the two.

SuperSah

Banned
Still got a silver Phat!

Man, it's clunky as hell but it was built like a tank. Only issue is the charger doesn't work well and I use a 3DS now.

Khaz

I broke the hinge of mine when it fell from 20cm high on a carpet. The whole thing shattered in pieces. It must have been on the verge of exploding for years.

And I was still using it as I disliked the 3DS upscaling. I'm contemplating buying another one but I can't find any in a decent state (no broken hinge).

DigitalOp

Banned
I'm playing Pokemon Black on my black DSL right now. Broken ass hinge and all.

In the future I was going to pickup a cheap DSi XL. Best way to play original DS games. 3DS XL for my next gen Nintendo handheld.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Still have an OG DS. I don't really use it much anymore, but I used it until I got my 3DS in 2011. Never saw any point in getting a DS Lite or DSi.

LOLDSFAN

Yeah it's the only one I had until I got a 3DS XL. I'm surprised the battery still holds. It's in really good condition too except for the touchscreen. Still snakes like a boss in MKDS. :p

Caladrius

I still have mine to play my import copy of Pokemon White. It's dirty, the battery lasts about 5 minutes and the speakers are horribly out of sync, but it still works.

Top Bottom