• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anyone sullied on dad of war aspect

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
NeoGAF on God of War 3:
  • Just another Kratos getting angry storyline
  • A boring, mindless, hack and slash
  • I'm already tired of this formula
NeoGAF on God of War (2018):
  • I'm not interested in a new, emotional story. Wtf is this Dad of War shit?
  • Where's the good ol' hack and slash?
  • I wish they brought back the old formula.

I remember listening to Cliff Blezinski one time on Twitch talk about how fans will be literally calling something stupid, but at the same time they'll be wearing a shirt or have a tattoo of that exact product. That's not a word for word quote, but that's what he said.

Last edited:

bigfurb

Has no one on Neogaf bothered to check out the multitude of previews dropped today? The impressions are glowing and most of the "concerns" i see leveled at this game seem to be unfounded

odhiex

That's a terrible answer for anyone who enjoys a franchise and would like to play a proper sequel in modern systems with current production values; improving the formula, sure, but keeping its identity intact.

TBH, it sounds like the kind of thing Konami would say to people who don't like Metal Gear Survivor.

Hehe... I'm sorry ;) I am aware that my previous post was a bit cheeky but I believe that there is no such thing as perfect formula for a sequel to an established franchise. Some people want changes, some don't. You simply cannot pleased everyone.

From my experience, I've played all of GOW games (completed 3 of them) and loves them, but somehow I don't want to play the same things over and over again. I want these changes.

In fact, if it's not because of the new direction I would probably not be that excited. Will it be a good decision made by Santa Monica? I don't know, but I am eager to find out.

Again, I would truly understand that some fans do not like it. So my advice is, wait and try it for yourself. If you hate it, you have other options.

DMC 5 :cool:

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You just know the kid is going to bite it early on in the game, which is what will make Kratos go ham, killing any and everything that gets in his way as he fights his way to Valhalla to get him back. At least that's what I assume based on what we've seen. Hel, they probably only gave him a bow so that he could qualify as a warrior and meet the minimum requirements for Valhalla.

There's no real reason to introduce a constant AI companion to an action game, unless they just really liked the father/child dynamic of TLoU, and that sounds a wee bit simplistic to me. I think I'll give the developers the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just trying to give Kratos a more plausible reason to be a raging murder machine than "Somebody made me kill my family... like five games ago... and I only care because they were mine." Looks to me like they're trying to add depth to the character rather than changing his essence.

I guess we'll see though.

Except for the fact that we know you can upgrade Atreus.

Has no one on Neogaf bothered to check out the multitude of previews dropped today? The impressions are glowing and most of the "concerns" i see leveled at this game seem to be unfounded

If anything, they just reinforce them.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hehe... I'm sorry ;) I am aware that my previous post was a bit cheeky but I believe that there is no such thing as perfect formula for a sequel to an established franchise. Some people want changes, some don't. You simply cannot pleased everyone.

From my experience, I've played all of GOW games (completed 3 of them) and loves them, but somehow I don't want to play the same things over and over again. I want these changes.

In fact, if it's not because of the new direction I would probably not be that excited. Will it be a good decision made by Santa Monica? I don't know, but I am eager to find out.

Again, I would truly understand that some fans do not like it. So my advice is, wait and try it for yourself. If you hate it, you have other options.

DMC 5 :cool:
I'm not against the changing formula, I'm actually all for it. But what I'm against is changing series entire genre all together. Developers could have been little creative with it and try to do more interesting character action game even with new camera angle, but instead they chose safer bet and they made RPG complete with crafting system just like every fucking game these days, as if already don't enough of those already. Character action game in other hand, we barely getting any of those.

Let me ask you this, would like to see Boyonetta 3 turn in to over the sounder third person shooter instead of character action like pervious games? I mean who the fuck cares about old Bayonetta fans, with this the series might gain new fans....right?

Last edited:

odhiex

I'm not against the changing formula, I'm actually all for it. But what I'm against is changing series entire genre all together. Developers could have been little creative with it and try to do more interesting character action game even with new camera angle, but instead they chose safer bet and they made RPG complete with crafting system just like every fucking game these days, as if already don't enough of those already. Character action game in other hand, we barely getting any of those.

Let me ask you this, would like to see Boyonetta 3 turn in to over the sounder third person shooter instead of character action like pervious games? I mean who the fuck cares about old Bayonetta fans, with this the series might gain new fans....right?

I don't play Bayonetta, but I think for a series that have only released two games (1 and 2), changing formulas so drastically as such will be a huge risk for the developer. Maybe for Bayonetta, it is too soon.

However for a series like GOW (6 games), some people think that changes could be a good thing, a new way to re-inject excitement over an old franchise.

How would the Final Fantasy games survived over 20 years without any changes (including new series and different genres) in their formulas? Will the fanbase keep supporting Final Fantasy with the same formula like annual sport games such as FIFA, PES, NBA2K, etc.? maybe not.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I think it's a really bad game design decision. The game is basically forcing me to care about the son and it does exactly the opposite. Buy having the kid constantly bragging at me, it becomes an annoyance. Obviously, I haven't played the game yet, but judging from the trailers, the kid-mechanic is going to suck.

The rest of the game looks great and I will definitly pick it up, but they should have implemented the Son-Stuff more organically I believe.

Danjin44

I don't play Bayonetta, but I think for a series that have only released two games (1 and 2), changing formulas so drastically will be a huge risk for the developer. Maybe for Bayonetta, it is too soon.

However for a series like GOW (6 games), some people think that changes could be a good thing, a new way to re-inject excitement over an old franchise.

How would the Final Fantasy games survived over 20 years without any changes (including new series and different genres) in their formulas? Will the fanbase keep supporting Final Fantasy with the same formula like sport games such as FIFA, PES, NBA2K, etc.? maybe not.
At end of the day final fantasy is still JRPG? Is it not? They didn't suddenly turn in to FPS on us.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Both him and his son have to kill in order to survive. They can't just take the killer out of Kratos, otherwise they wouldn't survive. He's also responsible for his son. He was already torn by what happen in the beginning too.

Did anyone watch the stadium event?

I noticed the blood effects weren't there. There were magical sparkles of light. Even if you look at the LE statue. The axe gives off this blue tint instead of blood. I think that's cool. It's just noticeable because we've all ripped the eye out of the Cyclops and we've gutted the beast in God of War 3. :/

I hope this is not actual ingame. The mocap/movement animation is the worst sh*t I've ever seen.

Darak

Unfortunately, there are not many options available if you want to play beat'em-ups this current generation. Now we are going to have one less.

Those who want to play something like this new God of War are the ones who have plenty of options to choose from, though.

Fbh

NeoGAF on God of War 3:
  • Just another Kratos getting angry storyline
  • A boring, mindless, hack and slash
  • I'm already tired of this formula
NeoGAF on God of War (2018):
  • I'm not interested in a new, emotional story. Wtf is this Dad of War shit?
  • Where's the good ol' hack and slash?
  • I wish they brought back the old formula.

You mean God of War 3? The game that placed fifth during that years GAF Goty awards? The one that the community ranked above GT5, Halo Reach, StarCraft 2, Bad company 2, Vanquish and Fallout New Vegas?.

Yeah, everyone hated it

I'll never get these Pseudo clever "people are hypocrites" type of arguments. Same as with The Last Jedi.
It's like "I made cookies and people told me they were too sweet. I made a new batch using almost no sugar and now they say they aren't sweet enough. Such hypocrites!!!!"

odhiex

At end of the day final fantasy is still JRPG? Is it not? They didn't suddenly turn in to FPS on us.

What is the JRPG genre? I have seen a lot of variation of FF games over the past years.

and I thought GOW (2018) is still an action adventure, no?

Danjin44

What is the JRPG genre? I have seen a lot of variation of FF games over the past years.

and I thought GOW (2018) is still an action adventure, no?
Is it? From previews so far it sound like RPG with experience points you get and crafting system. Also almost all main line FF games at its core are JRPG.

odhiex

Okay.

I have different takes on what the RPG and action adventure genres are. The same with that I could not classify JRPG as a genre, unlike the turn-based RPGs, tactical RPGs, action-RPGs, MMORPGs, etc.

I am pretty excited with the new GOW (2018), which I think is the direction that the franchise should take to move forward. If I ended up hating it, I think it will be pretty normal as some games might not fulfill its promisses and full potential. So we'll see.

Makariel

I haven't finished the last of us and I haven't finished God of War 3, so now there is a game which is the combination of two games I've never finished? Yeah, that will do ;)

I always found GoW more fun to watch than to play. Been watching my cousin beat the games, but never felt really motivated to take control of Mister anger management myself.

Dubloon7

Banned
OP: I'm sullied by all of these "...of war" games. So, I won't touch this as I didn't touch anything aside from the first crap 5 minutes of GoW1

glados87

Neo Member
Let's not jump to any conclusions.i would advice just wait and watch till release ...wait for review and watch some streams of felt right buy else pass

Zannegan

Except for the fact that we know you can upgrade Atreus.

I suppose I should be used to it by now. When I open my mouth to make a prediction, I tend to get schooled shortly thereafter. Lol.

The trailer showing the little guy launching lighting arrows clued me that he may not play the role of "action hero's doomed family in this game. It's nice to see a trope subverted, but personally, I can't stand NPC companions. It's one of my least favorite mechanics in games. It completely ruined Dragon's Dogma for me.

Still, I'm willing to give this a shot someday. They've toned down some of the gratuitous elements, and that ax looks freaking awesome, so why not?

Top Bottom