• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma on Majora's Mask remake: "Say that I laughed"

I remember purchasing it with Club Nintendo points a while back but never playing it. Now I don't want to for fear that a superior version will most likely be announced the morning after I complete it.

The game is well worth playing now, it's held up pretty well. My favorite in the series and I first played it in 2009.

Albo

It was always happening since OOT 3D happened. Only question is when exactly they're planning to release.

Kotaku:
Zelda Director mocks fanbase with laughter

A MM remake would expose how bad the series has since become.

What does this even mean?!?!

A MM remake would expose it to a whole new audience of people who didn't get to play it. The game came out late in the N64's lifecycle, it NEEDS more exposure.

Tygamr

It seems like it will happen eventually. They probably already have Grezzo on it right now while they're finishing up ALBW, WW HD, and working on the Wii U Zelda.

You can't silence MM fans. They will shove down your throat that it is a classic.

OOT3D made too much money at too high a profit/development margin for them not to do it.

ih5YwU35u5LiW.gif

How does it get me every single time

Lumyst

Aonuma: *laughs*

Personally, I think the guy is fucking sick of working on Zelda games, and his laugh has very complex undertones.

For some reason, that makes me want him to take over for Iwata if Iwata is replaced, he seems to have mixed feelings about how things are in Nintendo (plus he's played Skyrim, so I know he doesn't lock himself away from modern gaming). BUT that would probably cause him to have even more stress...

I loved MM by the way, it was a world that would slowly reveal itself and add onto itself over time (I also think those eels would look great coming at you in 3D).

Cipherr

To hell with Majoras Mask. It was okay, but nothing special. I would sooner replay Zelda 2 than the lackluster MM....

Yeah thats right, I said it. Come at me.

For some reason, that makes me want him to take over for Iwata if Iwata is replaced, he seems to have mixed feelings about how things are in Nintendo (plus he's played Skyrim, so I know he doesn't lock himself away from modern gaming). BUT that would probably cause him to have even more stress...

I loved MM by the way, it was a world that would slowly reveal itself and add onto itself over time (I also think those eels would look great coming at you in 3D).

I believe he played skyrim solely because it sounded like skyward sword.

Madao

You can't silence MM fans. They will shove down your throat that it is a classic.

OOT3D made too much money at too high a profit/development margin for them not to do it.

i'm starting to think that MM's remake would be better as a launch title to the 3DS's sucessor. as it is, it is going to be a late release on 3DS if it happens and that's going to put it in the same boat it was originally and it will suffer the same fate (being late into the console's lifecycle limited its exposure a lot)

also, while i think OoT3D looks pretty good, it is still not quite enough. i hoped for better improvements overall and the current 3DS won't make it look vastly better.

Indeed. Not just in terms of exploration either, the sidequests achieved the same effect as you were rewarded with lore/NPC-related elements in addition to the usual items.

I'd be ok with a overhauled version of the game with completely new assets, models, and re-imagined environments under the same co-directors of the first game (AKA Aonuma AND Koizumi).

A OOT 3D style "remake" though? Why bother.

They should bother because OoT 3D is a huge improvement over the original. Just remembering the desert segment makes me want to replay it all over again.

Cheebo

Banned
But I want to play it with pretty graphics on my Wii U :p

But MM reuses most of OOT's assets and they already remade all the OOT assets on 3DS. I can't see any way this would ever be on WiiU over 3DS. Especially since they could easily outsource it to Grezzo again like they did with OOT.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'll take that as confirmed, improved assets, renderer stylizing the game like the official artwork (hard shadow shaders), extra content, and launching early next year.

Yep pretty much, everyone knows that we are getting Marjora's Mask 3D it's like the worse kept secret ever.

What does this even mean?!?!

A MM remake would expose it to a whole new audience of people who didn't get to play it. The game came out late in the N64's lifecycle, it NEEDS more exposure.
While I wouldn't agree with the word "bad" in the slightest, I think he's trying to say that everything post Majora's Mask represents an obvious decline in the series. I would let Wind Waker sneak in there, though. When I went back to play WW last year after never having played it before, despite it's uniqueness, I was reminded of the N64 Zeldas.

jmls1121

Banned
MM is likely the most unique adventure game ever developed, but it is also likely the most flawed Zelda title. Game starts off incredibly slow and has some serious pacing issues.

It is still one of my favorites

Lumyst

I believe he played skyrim solely because it sounded like skyward sword.

Yep, there was a thread about that a few days ago! I remember back in 2011 I was busy in November with Skyrim and Skyward Sword as well, weeks apart. But it's good that he doesn't scoff at the idea of playing others' games.

also, while i think OoT3D looks pretty good, it is still not quite enough. i hoped for better improvements overall and the current 3DS won't make it look vastly better.

Meh OOT3D looked really impressive in its way. The use of 3D was actually great, and OoT was never intended to look super realistic or anything. The damn colours are beautiful too.

Why does Majora's Mask deserve this special, launch title exposure? Why can't it be a late, 2015 title to bridge the rather empty gap between a new handheld and the 3DS? That'd be absolutely fine.

Marjar

Banned
MM is likely the most unique adventure game ever developed, but it is also likely the most flawed Zelda title. Game starts off incredibly slow and has some serious pacing issues.

It is still one of my favorites

Actually I'd say its intro is perfect. Teaches you everything you need to know about the game in a subtle, non-handholdy way, and it's skippable by talking to the scarecrow.

It's the rest of the game (most notably Great Bay), that needs some patching up.

Whenever I think of my ideal Zelda game, I imagine an NPC-voiced version of Majora's Mask at the core, and then let my imagination run crazy off that simple starting point. I still maintain this is the route to take. I want Zelda to be heavy on sidequests and give me a living world with compelling NPCs. While they're at it, feel free to make an unconventional game and maybe ditch Hyrule and/or Ganon for a couple turns.

mask mechanic = good
wolf mechanic = bad

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Whenever I think of my ideal Zelda game, I imagine an NPC-voiced version of Majora's Mask at the core, and then let my imagination run crazy off that simple starting point. I still maintain this is the route to take. I want Zelda to be heavy on sidequests and give me a living world with compelling NPCs. While they're at it, feel free to make an unconventional game and maybe ditch Hyrule and/or Ganon for a couple turns.

mask mechanic = good
wolf mechanic = bad
Most of the masks were uhh... situational at best.
Both mechanics have their ups and downs.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Good for him. He probably gets tired of the same questions and feels that having a laugh is better than actually speaking.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
After reading some other things Aonuma has said lately, the laugh easily translates to "please kill me."

Most of the masks were uhh... situational at best.
Both mechanics have their ups and downs.

The masks often had an interesting story to them, though. I can barely think of a single mask in that game that doesn't have some cool back story to it. So I can forgive the disposable nature for a lot of them, because their presence is still justified through narrative means.

Majora's Mask did a fantastic job of merging its mechanics with some incredibly strong contextualisation within its world. Whereas Link could have been a fucking fish on a tricycle in Twilight Princes for all the impact his being a wolf had on matters.

NeoRausch

I'll take that as confirmed, improved assets, renderer stylizing the game like the official artwork (hard shadow shaders), extra content, and launching early next year.

well most of the work was done by GREZZO with the engine update on the OoT-Remake.

I for one wouldn't think that a MM remake would be that off rails. even with more added content.

edit:
love his zero nada-answer! that's the kind of stuff you start to answers when asked about a quadrillion times.

Top Bottom