• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma on Majora's Mask remake: "Say that I laughed"

Majukun

my second favorite zelda after ocarina of time

i would really like a majora's mask 2 (much like they are now doing link to the past 2) instead of a 3ds remake of the original though

Codeblue

I hope Nintendo directs all their PR staff to replace "We do not comment on rumor or speculation" with uncontrollable laughter.

Sergiepoo

Countless Zelda games has finally caused Aonuma to lose his mind.

Soon you'll see him prancing around in a Tingle costume, waving around his "deku stick" while shrieking "KALLLLOOOOMMMMPAAAAA!"

And then he'll slowly start eating your face. Before you breath your last breath, you'll hear a whisper, "These are Tingle's magic words."

"DON'T STEAL THEM."

Or maybe we're getting Majora's Mask 3D.

Countless Zelda games has finally caused Aonuma to lose his mind.

Soon you'll see him prancing around in a Tingle costume, waving around his "deku stick" while shrieking "KALLLLOOOOMMMMPAAAAA!"

And then he'll slowly start eating your face. Before you breath your last breath, you'll hear a whisper, "These are Tingle's magic words."

"DON'T STEAL THEM."

I really don't blame him at this point. Look at all that has happened during his tenure as director.

• He is given the task of creating a sequel to OoT, one of the most critically acclaimed games of its era, and decides to make Majora's Mask centered around a unique gameplay concept (the 3-Day cycle) and a dark, psychological story. Fans respond by bitching about how it isn't just OoT2.

• MM is followed up by The Wind Waker, a game that is once again focused on a new idea (ocean exploration) as well as employing a new, innovative, cel-shaded graphical style, which lead gamers to go berserk about how "kiddie" the franchise had become with it's new "cartoon" graphics, which went hand in hand with further complaints about how different it was from OoT.

• This leads to Twilight Princess, where Aonuma proceeds to cave in to fan demands and create what basically amounts to "OoT, but bigger," along with giving the game a darker, (relatively) more realistic artstyle. The audience response to this is a complete 180, with gamers saying that the game is too similar to OoT, and that "the formula had gotten stale", along with some fans coming out and saying that they preferred TWW to TP.

• Following this, Aonuma proceed to return to a MM/TWW-esque diversion from the LttP/OoT formula, as well as finding a compromise between the two art styles. Along with this, motion controls are utilized and the game is simplified and made more approachable in order to leverage the casual audience that Nintendo had picked up with the Wii. Unfortunately, SS came out after the casual market had moved on to mobile games and the Kinect, so the core gaming audience proceeded to raise a fit about how terrible the motion controls apparently were, the game's apparent lack of difficulty and how much "hand-holding" was apparently in the game

• And now, as a last ditch effort to regain the good will of the gaming community, Aonuma has decided to revisit TWW (which everyone now apparently loves), but decides to update the graphics with new shaders and lighting effects in order to show the power of the Wii U. Fan respond by complaining about how lazy Nintendo is to try to make money off a game they bought 10 years ago, how the manpower that they put on this could instead be working on a proper Wii U Zelda game and how the changes to the graphics in the new version ruin what was already perfect, even though many of those same people complained about how horrible the artstyle was back when it was first revealed.

After all that, if I was in Aonuma's shoes, I'd probably confirm Majora's Mask 3D, show it off constantly at every trade show & Nintendo Direct, and then can it just before release just to spite the fans. I'd also probably make Zelda U a angry, hateful deconstruction of the franchise, sequels, and video games in general, a la MGS2.

I never got a chance to play the original, and now I really want a new one.

But like, remastered. I mean, I'd love to play the original on the eshop but if I had to choose between that and a remastered one, I'd take the remastered edition any day of the week.

And then they can release new bundles. But then the question arises; Wii U or 3DS?

Yj1MTnq.png

Or if Nintendo makes my dreams come true with a unified account system, I could play my 3DS games on the Wii U and it wouldn't matter which system it came out for.

mantidor

I really don't blame him at this point. Look at all that has happened during his tenure as director.

• He is given the task of creating a sequel to OoT, one of the most critically acclaimed games of its era, and decides to make Majora's Mask centered around a unique gameplay concept (the 3-Day cycle) and a dark, psychological story. Fans respond by bitching about how it isn't just OoT2.

• MM is followed up by The Wind Waker, a game that is once again focused on a new idea (ocean exploration) as well as employing a new, innovative, cel-shaded graphical style, which lead gamers to go berserk about how "kiddie" the franchise had become with it's new "cartoon" graphics, which went hand in hand with further complaints about how different it was from OoT.

• This leads to Twilight Princess, where Aonuma proceeds to cave in to fan demands and create what basically amounts to "OoT, but bigger," along with giving the game a darker, (relatively) more realistic artstyle. The audience response to this is a complete 180, with gamers saying that the game is too similar to OoT, and that "the formula had gotten stale", along with some fans coming out and saying that they preferred TWW to TP.

• Following this, Aonuma proceed to return to a MM/TWW-esque diversion from the LttP/OoT formula, as well as finding a compromise between the two art styles. Along with this, motion controls are utilized and the game is simplified and made more approachable in order to leverage the casual audience that Nintendo had picked up with the Wii. Unfortunately, SS came out after the casual market had moved on to mobile games and the Kinect, so the core gaming audience proceeded to raise a fit about how terrible the motion controls apparently were, the game's apparent lack of difficulty and how much "hand-holding" was apparently in the game

• And now, as a last ditch effort to regain the good will of the gaming community, Aonuma has decided to revisit TWW (which everyone now apparently loves), but decides to update the graphics with new shaders and lighting effects in order to show the power of the Wii U. Fan respond by complaining about how lazy Nintendo is to try to make money off a game they bought 10 years ago, how the manpower that they put on this could instead be working on a proper Wii U Zelda game and how the changes to the graphics in the new version ruin what was already perfect, even though many of those same people complained about how horrible the artstyle was back when it was first revealed.

After all that, if I was in Aonuma's shoes, I'd probably confirm Majora's Mask 3D, show it off constantly at every trade show & Nintendo Direct, and then can it just before release just to spite the fans. I'd also probably make Zelda U a angry, hateful deconstruction of the franchise, sequels, and video games in general, a la MGS2.

This post deserves praise.

Zelda fanboys are insufferable, I really hope Aonuma says to hell with them and makes some crazy thing, that will probably be hated now but will be praised as the ultimate gaming masterpiece in 10 years, as it happens to every Zelda.

Velcro Fly

Would love MM3D. I still think we'll see it eventually anyway.

I was definitely one of those people that was turned off from MM and WW because of how different they were. I was a dumb teenager at the time so I guess that's my excuse.

Would love to play them now though :(

I'm one of those people who can't understand in the slightest how anyone did not like the three day mechanic in this game. That is a big part of why this is my favourite Zelda game. I'd love to see a remake, no doubt.

Albo

Any fanbase of a cherished gaming series is fickle like this. Some people naturally don't welcome change. Not saying I don't as I feel the exact opposite of the fans you described that I've bolded. But still, that's only really the vocal online fanbase we all know about how much people love to moan on the internet, no matter what they're discussing.

Think of any long running popular series out there as big or bigger than zelda, and now think about how fans would react if a staple part of the series is changed.

Zelda is different in a way in that it hasn't got a definite, recognizable identity, particularly with its visuals changing all the time. When some people think of zelda in their headthey think of OOT, while others think of ALTTP, while other think of WW. People are different, and many aspects of different zela games are different so understandably some people will be divided on different games

Fandangox

Any fanbase of a cherished gaming series is fickle like this. Some people naturally don't welcome change. Not saying I don't as I feel the exact opposite of the fans you described that I've bolded. But still, that's only really the vocal online fanbase we all know about how much people love to moan on the internet, no matter what they're discussing.

Think of any long running popular series out there as big or bigger than zelda, and now think about how fans would react if a staple part of the series is changed.

Zelda is different in a way in that it hasn't got a definite, recognizable identity, particularly with its visuals changing all the time. When some people think of zelda in their headthey think of OOT, while others think of ALTTP, while other think of WW. People are different, and many aspects of different zela games are different so understandably some people will be divided on different games

Pretty much this. People always talk about whiny Zelda fans as if they were a single entity.

Is it really that far fetched to think that due to the drastic aesthetic and somewhat minor core gameplay changes the series sees with EVERY entry, that one group of fans that preferred one style over the other will not welcome the sudden change?

I personally don't mind the art changes, I welcome them. My takes on the gameplay changes vary between games though.

Timeaisis

Yeah, Zelda fans are the worst.

Relevant comic.

Grief.exe

We all know that MM3D is coming. They already completed the majority of the assets for OOT3D, they can farm it out to an independent studio, or Grezzo again, for cheap.

The profit margins will be huge once again. No brainer for Nintendo.

This needs to be quoted more. I've been a member of a lot of fanbases but none so annoying as the Zelda fanbase.

levyjl1988

Banned
I would defiantly buy Majora's Mask 3D if it ever happened. Why stop at Ocarina of Time? Majora's Mask was made for 3D and considering that my attempts at playing the game on the GC (Zelda Collection) failed miserably due to a bug I was put off, but returning to play it on my 3DS with a CPP would be amazing.

If it doesn't happen then I wonder if Nintendo wants my money, if not I can give it to Microsoft and Sony.

Sadist

I must be that one Zelda fan who like every games then.
Well, you're not alone.

Although I have to admit that TP is my least favourite of the bunch, because Aonuma caved in regarding the "ZELDA SHOULD BE DARK AND MATOOR" folk who roam the internet.

Ontopic;

Still, I have to agree that the Zelda fanbase is extremely fragmented. In general to many groups/individuals have their own wishes and demands for the series and man, those debates get heated. We've seen enough of 'em on GAF.

Nintendo/Aonuma should do whatever the hell they want with the series. Let the internet rabble.

Grief.exe

I would defiantly buy Majora's Mask 3D if it ever happened. Why stop at Ocarina of Time? Majora's Mask was made for 3D and considering that my attempts at playing the game on the GC (Zelda Collection) failed miserably due to a bug I was put off, but returning to play it on my 3DS with a CPP would be amazing.

If it doesn't happen then I wonder if Nintendo wants my money, if not I can give it to Microsoft and Sony.

What would you need a CPP for?

leroidys

Can we have a Zelda thread that doesn't devolve into bitching about Zelda fans?

Aonuma: "Haha" -> GAF: "ZELDA FANS CAN SUKK ITT!!!!!!!!!!1111"

How does this work?

Reyne

Yeah, I am sure that would have done wonders to screw what is left of Nintendo's integrity. Putting the blame on the customers who actually bought the game in the first place won't solve anything.

I don't even think the problem with Zelda games is any ( for most part ) of those things you have mentioned. The franchise is simply too formulaic and linear. Aonuma just seem to have run out of answers because he is so focused on taking OoT and altering the art-style, theme, story, controls or whatever else they could find to alter its appearance. In the meantime the formula became more stale and satiated with each iteration and the games became ever more linear in order to fulfill the formula that doesn't work in the first place. The answer isn't in the gimmicks that is used only in one game and never again, in my opinion. He simply needs to go back to the fundamentals of what made Zelda popular to begin with, and expand on that.

Of course, Aonuma doesn't like the original Zelda so I could see that being a problem for him.

We all know that MM3D is coming. They already completed the majority of the assets for OOT3D, they can farm it out to an independent studio, or Grezzo again, for cheap.

The profit margins will be huge once again. No brainer for Nintendo.

Exactly. It's more an issue of when, they'll probably plan having it out at a time when their other big hitters are a no show.

Banned
Don't play with our hearts Aonuma! The art assests are already there from OoT3D. That's like half the game right there. Give it to Grezzo!

morikaze

Banned
When he says that he laughed and he wants us to know, I imagine the laugh you hear when the MM intro starts. Basically, it's a twisted yet comforting laugh. It's being made.

“it’s really up to them. If they want to interpret my laughter as, ‘yeah, we’re making it’ or ‘no, we’re not,’ I guess that’s really up to them.”

I think this is the best you really dont know if no or yes someone has ever said.
With this type questions in videogames and movies anything you say or do is interpreted as there is always a possibilty, but with this one you can't really know shit what is real or not.
Good job, Aonuma you sly.

I must be a horrible Zelda fan as I loved MM incredibly when it came out, I loved WW to death, I found TP to be good but pretty uninspired but I found SS to be pretty damn great and probably gameplay-wise the most enjoyable 3D-Zelda, ever.

Hey Aonuma, listen to me! I love your output! :D

Timeaisis

I must be a horrible Zelda fan as I loved MM incredibly when it came out, I loved WW to death, I found TP to be good but pretty uninspired but I found SS to be pretty damn great and probably gameplay-wise the most enjoyable 3D-Zelda, ever.

Hey Aonuma, listen to me! I love your output! :D

Kinda in the same boat. TP was good, but probably the most forgettable Zelda. SS, for all it's flaws, was a really fun game, which, I think introduced a lot of interesting things to the table (the sword-play, some of the new items, some really innovative puzzle designs in Lanaryu...I even liked the Stamina gauge -- yeah I liked it!)

Zelda fans are so hard to please because they all had different first experiences with the franchise. To some, they want Zelda to recapture the magic of ALttP or OoT. To others, they want something new. It's pretty tough, and it looks like it's started to grate on Aunoma. I hope he moves to another franchise or does something else soon. Not that I don't love his contributions, but I think he should do something different sometime.

Jackano

Well, Grezzo finished their $5 Streetpass game a few month ago, now they probably have started MM3D to make the Zelda game that will fill the 2014 gap between TWWHD/ALBW and Zelda Wii U.

MM is next in line in the remake list anyway, but there is still the possibility that Nintendo could be the dumb-ass Nintendo and ignore MM for decades.

Aonuma: *laughs*

Personally, I think the guy is fucking sick of working on Zelda games, and his laugh has very complex undertones.

What a coincidense, I'm fucking sick of him making them. Team Koizumi!
I mean, I can imagine what his vision for a MM remake would be. Skull Kid turns out to be Ganon's lackey, blah blah. Also, cut the 'timewasting' side missions and the 'confusion' of non linearity. Then, cartoon it up because the creepy character design and dark story is too 'scary'. There, Aunoma's 'vision'.

mantidor

Aunoma was just on the Team til Wind Waker. Koizumi called the shots til then, and he still wrote and helped on Wind Waker. After that, is Aunoma's zelda's.

just on the team? he didn't get to be the general Zelda producer out of nowhere, you can't just dissmiss his input on 3d Zeldas before WW like that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the reason every Zelda game seems to be simultaneously liked and hated is because Zelda itself has been different kinds of games from the mid-80s to 2003.

So people started with a Zelda title, be in 1, 2 (rarely 2), ALttP, OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, etc. and that was their foundational basis for what Zelda is. Some people really, truly believe that Zelda should be an action game, like a Lord of the Rings Devil May Cry. Others emphasize puzzles. Others still want grand, open vistas and huge overworlds with everything possible to do. Some like cartoon characters. Some like mature storylines. Some want gimmicks that change the flow of the game. Some will hate any interesting changes that make it unlike a previous game. Some want Celda. Some want Skyrim.

There will never again be a Zelda game that pleases all pillars because the foundation that was laid down is so different for everyone.

Top Bottom