• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma on Majora's Mask remake: "Say that I laughed"

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the reason every Zelda game seems to be simultaneously liked and hated is because Zelda itself has been different kinds of games from the mid-80s to 2003.

So people started with a Zelda title, be in 1, 2 (rarely 2), ALttP, OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, etc. and that was their foundational basis for what Zelda is. Some people really, truly believe that Zelda should be an action game, like a Lord of the Rings Devil May Cry. Others emphasize puzzles. Others still want grand, open vistas and huge overworlds with everything possible to do. Some like cartoon characters. Some like mature storylines. Some want gimmicks that change the flow of the game. Some will hate any interesting changes that make it unlike a previous game. Some want Celda. Some want Skyrim.

There will never again be a Zelda game that pleases all pillars because the foundation that was laid down is so different for everyone.

It's funny this is the only series that is beyond critism. MGS, GTA, Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, Tomb Raider, Doom. We can have oppinions on all these legacy games, but when it comes to Zelda, if we don't like the new games, we're just letting nostalgia cloud our judgement.
Little things, like the series becoming more and more linear and the stories getting recycled, are all imagined, apparently.
The real truth, is all the 3d ones pretty much play the fricken same, so of course, whichever one you play first feels the best, because there's no way to really tell them apart, lol.

jmizzal

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the reason every Zelda game seems to be simultaneously liked and hated is because Zelda itself has been different kinds of games from the mid-80s to 2003.

So people started with a Zelda title, be in 1, 2 (rarely 2), ALttP, OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, etc. and that was their foundational basis for what Zelda is. Some people really, truly believe that Zelda should be an action game, like a Lord of the Rings Devil May Cry. Others emphasize puzzles. Others still want grand, open vistas and huge overworlds with everything possible to do. Some like cartoon characters. Some like mature storylines. Some want gimmicks that change the flow of the game. Some will hate any interesting changes that make it unlike a previous game. Some want Celda. Some want Skyrim.

There will never again be a Zelda game that pleases all pillars because the foundation that was laid down is so different for everyone.

This pretty much sums it up

I will be happy with most things they do with Zelda as long as its a good fun game
The only Zelda game I didnt like (Outside of the CDi games) is Zelda 2.

The real truth, is all the 3d ones pretty much play the fricken same, so of course, whichever one you play first feels the best, because there's no way to really tell them apart, lol.

The 3D Zelda games play way more different from each other then any COD, GTA, MGS, Halo, Battlefield or what ever, some of those may have more in depth different storys but they def dont play different from the Zelda games

apana

Sorry but I don't buy into this whole Zelda fans don't know what they want, Zelda fans all want different things narrative. There are disagreements among every fan base. I think it is just trying to make excuses for developers and shift blame onto some of the most loyal and intelligent fans in all of gaming. I think Zelda fans are actually far more receptive to new ideas than most people give them credit for as long as it is well done and matches the spirit of Zelda.

mantidor

I can dismiss it because the series turned to mediocrity the second Koizumi took his hands off of it.

Opinions and all, but you are crazy if you think post-WW Zelda games are "mediocre", criticism boils down to nitpicking, the series is just as linear as ever, sans the early 2D entries, and the story is incredibly irrelevant in these games, and even then, saying they are "all the same" is a huge exaggeration. That you want something different, (and probably at the same time not that different) is another thing entirely.

ShokingAlberto's point is completely valid, the Zelda series is one of the most open and one of the few franchises that actually tries to step outside it's boundaries for real, not just as a marketing point, what other franchise of that caliber would have done what MM, tWW or SS did? they went insane.

I think that at the end to really enjoy Zelda games you have to approach it like if you were a child, not an obsessed, jaded fan that has Zelda's Lullaby as the ringtone in its cellphone. (I do have a Zelda wallpaper in my cellphone, sue me :p)

Opinions and all, but you are crazy if you think post-WW Zelda games are "mediocre", criticism boils down to nitpicking, the series is just as linear as ever, sans the early 2D entries, and the story is incredibly irrelevant in these games, and even then, saying they are "all the same" is a huge exaggeration. That you want something different, (and probably at the same time not that different) is another thing entirely.

ShokingAlberto's point is completely valid, the Zelda series is one of the most open and one of the few franchises that actually tries to step outside it's boundaries for real, not just as a marketing point, what other franchise of that caliber would have done what MM, tWW or SS did? they went insane.

I think that at the end to really enjoy Zelda games you have to approach it like if you were a child, not an obsessed, jaded fan that has Zelda's Lullaby as the ringtone in its cellphone. (I do have a Zelda wallpaper in my cellphone, sue me :p)

What the fu.... what is this conversation even about? Aunoma can't write- was my point.

It's funny this is the only series that is beyond critism. MGS, GTA, Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, Tomb Raider, Doom. We can have oppinions on all these legacy games, but when it comes to Zelda, if we don't like the new games, we're just letting nostalgia cloud our judgement.
Little things, like the series becoming more and more linear and the stories getting recycled, are all imagined, apparently.
That's not even kind of what I said. Holy persecution complex, Batman.

mantidor

What the fu.... what is this conversation even about? Aunoma can't write- was my point.

If you play Zelda for the writing you are in the wrong series, before or after Aonuma, whom I doubt is the one in charge of actually writing the dialog and story of the game.

I miss it when Zelda games were ambitious. Other than Twilight Princess's dungeons, I can't remember the last time a Zelda game wowed me with its content, such as the overworld or even the soundtrack.

That, and I do not want it to resemble Skyward Sword in any form save for maybe motion controls (and even then, with an actual learning curve and makes actual creative, non-forced use of the controller).

On topic: lol, Aonuma. I wouldn't mind a remake if it was made by Grezzo or something, but I wouldn't want it to take manpower/resources from Nintendo that could be directed at making a new Zelda game.

Top Bottom